mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Head Tube Badge R&R

What is the best way to remove the old head tube Ellsworth badge? I have the newer badge and down tube sticker from "Ells" and thought some of you may have a secret tip or two on the removal of these stickers.

How about replacing them? Just peel and stick or should I "prep" the area first then slap on the sticker?

Thanks....Bob
    Life is not a Spectator Sport....Live it!!

Big Whitey

Unchained Freewheel
    Quote Originally Posted by Great Shark

How about replacing them? Just peel and stick or should I "prep" the area first then slap on the sticker?

Thanks....Bob

No one ever answered this...Does anyone know how ? 'I Peeled and stuck' and it fell off right away What glue?,what epoxy?, what do I use to make it stick ? The badge for the headtube I have is pictured below,any help is appreciated...

Last edited by Tarbaby4Ever; 05-29-2006 at 08:20 AM.
    The Trail Never Ends.

Ologist
    Things like windex or alcohol should remove the gummy residue and prep the surface for the new badge,

Custom User Title
    3M has a line of double-sided tape that is thin and strong. I don't know how it would hold up to washing though.
    Team MOJO Wheels.

Unchained Freewheel

Done.

I took matters into my own hands,and grabbed some of that 3M stuff,it seems to work quite well,but when I installed it,I instantly started wondering about wet weather conditions,and how it would hold up.The bike looks better with the badge in my estimation,but I am wondering how long it'll be before it falls off... The 3M stuff is THICK and the badge is about 2mm out from the head tube.At my LBS the owner demonstrated the strength of this stuff by grabbing a XL bmx frame off the wall by the badge,and carrying it around the shop gripping it by only the badge,it seemed very strong.Local weather is calling for showers today,so this will be its first real test.

This is the best I can do to illustrate how far away from the metal it is.
    The Trail Never Ends.

locked - time out
    Dec 2005
    Perhaps a quick post to Ellsworth themselves to see how they do it?

Unchained Freewheel
    Chunkers,I have emailed Ellsworth and they have not replied as of yet,it has been near a week since I first sent my inquiry... Oh well,its done,to the best of my meager abilities.I just wanted to breath some new life into this old Truth.I long time forum member emailed tonight,and has told me he might be able to help me with some frame stickers for my old Truth.
    Last edited by Tarbaby4Ever; 05-30-2006 at 06:12 PM.
    The Trail Never Ends.

Custom User Title
    If you go to a home improvement store ie, home depot or the like. Then look for the plastic window covers for winter weather proofing you should find some adhesive tape that is a lot thinner and stronger then the foam double sided tape. If nothing else you might get away with some tube and tile adhesive. That will be water proof but I don't know if it will bond on metal.
    Team MOJO Wheels.

Unchained Freewheel
    coldsteele,I went to HomeDepot this aft and found what you mentioned,its was a little pricy but I grabbed some anyway.If the headbadge comes off,I have another one,and will try your suggestion,unless I find a better alternative.
    The Trail Never Ends.

mtbr member

adhesive/

IMO the best tool for this is Permatex clear silicone adhesive.similar to gasket sealer(could be the same) ,ez to peel the excess & in tight places its unnoticiable-super strong.....

Members who have read this thread: 0