mtbr member

Frame replacement thoughts

The basic snizzle-
    -Own an 02 Joker.
    -Already had to replace the rear end
    -Cracked the rear end again
    -Ellsworth will warranty the rear triangle at no cost but I'd end up with an 02 frame.
    -Replacement parts probably won't be around for the next break. The Joker isn't being made anymore.
    -I can turn in the broken Joker for the Moment Trade in thing. Ellsworth will extend it for me. Trade in will still cost me the money but I have a new frame. New bikes are always exciting.
    -Travel is the same for both.
    -I use the Joker mainly as a shuttle bike, it's built up with a 66RC and mostly heavy more DH oriented parts. I still need something that pedals, well, kind of sorta, well since many of the shuttle runs aren't complete downhill runs and require quite a bit of pedaling.
    -Have not heard of Moments breaking and both frames weigh about the same.
    -My main concern is that if I break the Joker again I won't be able to find replacement parts. Of course, on the other hand, I could ride it till it breaks and still get another FR/DH type of frame for about the cost of the Moment replacement but I won't be able to score a moment for this price at a later time.
    I'm kind of leaning towards just replacing the rear end and buying a new frame when this one goes down, which of course makes sense.
    Thoughts?
    AKA: G-wat

Rolling
    Maybe you will never break it again????

Call Ells and see if hte Chaos or DIstance rear is compatible with the Jokers. It looks like they changed the pivot position but you never know. The moment and epiphany rear chainstays are compatible with truths and Ids.

Time is not a road.
    Go ahead and replace the rear. Even though parts may run out, the frame still has a lifetime warranty. What is Ellsworth prepared to do for guys like you? There must be a plan.

On the other hand, when else are you going to get $700 for your 2002 Joker that's been ridden DH most of its life? Plus, all of your parts should swap right over from the Joker to the Moment - same size. If you bought a different frame from another manufacturer, you might have to buy different sized parts: seatpost, BB, front der., fork (if the head tube is longer on the new frame).

Personally, I'm doing the trade. But it makes sense for me now. It might not for you.

Good luck!
    Chad

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by chad1433

On the other hand, when else are you going to get $700 for your 2002 Joker that's been ridden DH most of its life? Plus, all of your parts should swap right over from the Joker to the Moment - same size. If you bought a different frame from another manufacturer, you might have to buy different sized parts: seatpost, BB, front der., fork (if the head tube is longer on the new frame).

Personally, I'm doing the trade. But it makes sense for me now. It might not for you.
    The moment is not a shuttle bike, it's an "AM" bike by ellsworth's standards. If he got the rear end replaced, then he can turn around and sell the frame. He may or may not get $700 for it, but why limit yourself to ONE frame that isn't even within the scope of what you are looking for? Go check the geometry on the moment and tell me if that's even close to what you'd want on a shuttle bike, pay close attention to the chainstay length. There's a lot of good frames you can get for ~1600. Heck, if you liked the joker, try the Yeti AS-X, it will only be stiffer/stouter, and it's only $1300. Widen your horizens bugaroo, there's a lot of stuff out there to look into.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

Members who have read this thread: 0