mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Fox DHX on a 2004 Dare?

Does anyone know if a Fox DHX shock will fit on a 2004 Dare? I currently have the stock Fox Vanilla RC shock installed, however the reservoir on the DHX appears to be considerably larger and seems like it won't fit. Is it possible to mount the shock with the reservoir facing towards the front of the bike? This would most likely eliminate any fit issues. Thanks in advance.

Where's the chair lift?

Idea! DHX 5.0 on 04 Dare.. No Go..

Hey, Bud.

I asked that same exact question to the Ells crew before and while at Interbike.. They told me it will not fit.. Mabe, that is one reson for the frame changes on 05s as well. I am thinking about seeing if Darrin at PUSH has a solution with a remote piggy back resivior? I saw some of the Turners with a DHX with remote piggybacks.. I wonder if they will be avail. for the 04 Dare.. I should have asked Fox when i was at the show. I would like to use the DHX on my 04 Dare as well, with a Ti spring.

Ellsman1
    04 Dare/888R

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Can't the DHX just be turned around?

Quote Originally Posted by Ellsman1
    Hey, Bud.

I asked that same exact question to the Ells crew before and while at Interbike.. They told me it will not fit.. Mabe, that is one reson for the frame changes on 05s as well. I am thinking about seeing if Darrin at PUSH has a solution with a remote piggy back resivior? I saw some of the Turners with a DHX with remote piggybacks.. I wonder if they will be avail. for the 04 Dare.. I should have asked Fox when i was at the show. I would like to use the DHX on my 04 Dare as well, with a Ti spring.

Ellsman1
    04 Dare/888R

Do you see any problem with turning the shock around so that the reservoir is facing the front of the bike. I've noticed that in the new frame designs (which share the exact same swingarm as the '04) have the shock mounted this way. If this is possible, I don't see why the DHX wouldn't fit my '04 Dare?

Where's the chair lift?

Idea! Fox DHX on 04 Dare NO GO!! Sorry.. Unless remote piggyback.

Quote Originally Posted by Freerider
    Do you see any problem with turning the shock around so that the reservoir is facing the front of the bike. I've noticed that in the new frame designs (which share the exact same swingarm as the '04) have the shock mounted this way. If this is possible, I don't see why the DHX wouldn't fit my '04 Dare?
    Hey There, Freerider

Actually the rear ends of the 05 Dare Proto-Types are different in make.. They are not made of the big rectangular type tubing with the machined top arch like our predecessors were. They actually use a flat ovallized looking type of tubing now minus the machined arch on the top. Kinda hard to explain with out showing it.. I didnt get any close up pics of the rear end, but they are different in appearance.. As for the geometry of the rear end im not for sure if there were any number changes in measurement. That i will have to find out next week..

As for you asking about the DHX 5.0 application with the piggyback turned facing forward.. Its a NO CAN-DO!! I had turned my original FOX shock to that direction
    (Resivoir facing forward) and asked Ells if it would be ok.. So, I could better access the rebound and dampening easier. I then saw, that if fully compressed the piggyback would hit the lower frame tube causing damage to the piggyback and or the frame itself. Ells mentioned the same thing when I inquired about installing the shock in that direction. Same goes for the DHX which intern has a longer piggyback than the Vanilla RC Pro-Pedal installed from Ells. So, Its a NO on the DHX for now. Unless you wait for a 2005 Dare and get one of those, depending on what style of frame they go with. Now, I did see some newer versions of the DHX at the show on some of the Turner freeride and DHR frames along with a Kona or 2 wich had remote piggyback resvoirs mounted several inches away from the shock to allow it to fit in tighter areas where a fixed piggyback wouldnt work... But, Im not sure if they are custom for OEM apps or not. I am going to inquire about that with my contact at Fox next week.. So, if I were you I would hold back on the purchase of the DHX til we see what comes out in the next few months from the FOX house.. So, you dont waste your money when you mount up a DHX and (A) Break the resivoir off or (B) put a nice big gash or dent in your lower frame tube. Drop me a e-mail if you require more info about the set up etc if you like. Enjoy The Ride!!

Happy Trails,
    Ellsman1
    04 Dare / 888R Custom

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

That sounds like a great idea!

Quote Originally Posted by Ellsman1
    Hey There, Freerider

Actually the rear ends of the 05 Dare Proto-Types are different in make.. They are not made of the big rectangular type tubing with the machined top arch like our predecessors were. They actually use a flat ovallized looking type of tubing now minus the machined arch on the top. Kinda hard to explain with out showing it.. I didnt get any close up pics of the rear end, but they are different in appearance.. As for the geometry of the rear end im not for sure if there were any number changes in measurement. That i will have to find out next week..

As for you asking about the DHX 5.0 application with the piggyback turned facing forward.. Its a NO CAN-DO!! I had turned my original FOX shock to that direction
    (Resivoir facing forward) and asked Ells if it would be ok.. So, I could better access the rebound and dampening easier. I then saw, that if fully compressed the piggyback would hit the lower frame tube causing damage to the piggyback and or the frame itself. Ells mentioned the same thing when I inquired about installing the shock in that direction. Same goes for the DHX which intern has a longer piggyback than the Vanilla RC Pro-Pedal installed from Ells. So, Its a NO on the DHX for now. Unless you wait for a 2005 Dare and get one of those, depending on what style of frame they go with. Now, I did see some newer versions of the DHX at the show on some of the Turner freeride and DHR frames along with a Kona or 2 wich had remote piggyback resvoirs mounted several inches away from the shock to allow it to fit in tighter areas where a fixed piggyback wouldnt work... But, Im not sure if they are custom for OEM apps or not. I am going to inquire about that with my contact at Fox next week.. So, if I were you I would hold back on the purchase of the DHX til we see what comes out in the next few months from the FOX house.. So, you dont waste your money when you mount up a DHX and (A) Break the resivoir off or (B) put a nice big gash or dent in your lower frame tube. Drop me a e-mail if you require more info about the set up etc if you like. Enjoy The Ride!!

Happy Trails,
    Ellsman1
    04 Dare / 888R Custom

Thanks for the Info. That sounds like a great idea. Please post on here when you've spoken with Fox, and give us the lowdown. That would be pretty sweet if remote reservoir DHXs become available in the next couple of months.

"Its All Good"
    Ellsman 1, look ofrward to hearing something positive about a piggy back reso. I am wishing to put DHX on my 04 Dare also..............Asked a while back also, it was all negative........ But you may get something positive.................If so all good for that disease upgradititis.

Cheers
    The_Lecht_Rocks: whafe - cheeers - may i offer an official apology for the wagon wheeler "dis-belief"

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Remote Reservoir DHX?

Does anyone have any information about a remote reservoir DHX to fit a 2004 Dare frame? Will it be available?

Where's the chair lift?

Idea! DHX remote resivoir for Dare... Not yet..

Quote Originally Posted by Freerider
    Does anyone have any information about a remote reservoir DHX to fit a 2004 Dare frame? Will it be available?
    Not yet on the DHX 5.0 remote resivoir. Still testing and tinkering with settings etc.. A few proto-types are being tested on a couple of manufactureres bikes. Nothing for release to general public or for aftermarket apps for atleast another 4-6 months.. Sorry, for the delay.. I have been swamped since getting back from Interbike. So, just hold on til next year and save your money, to buy one of the shocks!! Or, if you cant wait.. Mabe, contact PUSH industries about custom building a remote resivoir for your rides. Enjoy the ride!!!

Ps. Good things come to those who wait!! I think... LOL

Happy Trails,
    Ellsman1
    04 Dare/888R