Brass Nipples!

Find the Moment Changes #2

I've been riding in the company of more aggressive bikers lately. I've made 4 changes to my Moment to improve on its already stellar capabilities so I can try and keep up.

I've included a before picture (taken when I added the Fox 36 and King Steelset to help you with your search. All but one of the changes have added some weight. The bike now is just under 34 pounds (but still lighter than my rigid Pugsley).

I think all these changes are for the better, some make for a more noticable difference than others.

Here's the "before" pic:

A comparable "after:"

And some additional pictures to help you out.

Happy searching!

Bob
    {Principal Skinner} Hmm. Whoever did this is in very deep trouble.
    {Martin} And a sloppy speller too. The preferred spelling of 'wiener' is w - i - e - n - e - r, although 'e - i' is an acceptable ethnic variant.

Alright, let's ride!
    I'm seeing tires and seatpost. Anything else?

Only One Way
    Sep 2004

You guys are missing it!!

He has worn more of the printing off of the chain gaurd... Slick but I found it, must have saved you some weight

But tell me about that seatpost? I am guessing you hit a switch and put some weight on it and it goes down and again for it to come up.. Adjustment on the fly?

Good idea but how does it work? I lowered my seat a little below max because it limits my ability to bunny hop any higher...

Rolling
    Welcome to the GD clan! Looks like you have the 4" model. Shorter stem too.

Quote Originally Posted by MT Road
    But tell me about that seatpost? I am guessing you hit a switch and put some weight on it and it goes down and again for it to come up.. Adjustment on the fly?

Good idea but how does it work? I lowered my seat a little below max because it limits my ability to bunny hop any higher...
    http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.ph...ghlight=gadget

Quote Originally Posted by Bob the Wheelbuilder
    I've been riding in the company of more aggressive bikers lately. I've made 4 changes to my Moment to improve on its already stellar capabilities so I can try and keep up.
    And Bob, was that mishap on the sphincter with the Turner boys what prompted this? Looks like a fun ride though.
    Last edited by lidarman; 10-20-2005 at 01:41 PM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004

Just the seatpost

The tires look the same. Gravity dropper right? How do you like it.

Brass Nipples!
    So far we've had the following correctly identified:

1. Gravity Dropper post. It allows lowering of the seatpost on the fly. I've always set my post and then never moved it, but this really does help on super steep sections, on off camber stretches where it is easier to angle the bike out in order to get the tires perpendicular to the riding surface, and for bigger drops (which I still choke on for the most part).

2. Tires. This is a little tricky. I'm running the same Moto Raptor 2.4 in the back, but I put a WeirWolf 2.5 in the front after trying it on the front of my singlespeed. They bite great on slickrock (I was afraid of the knobs squirming), and they work better in loose conditions than a Moto in the front.

3. Stem. I went from a 120 to a 100 mm, still at 5 degree rise. It makes positioning of the upper body a little more difficult for climbing, but it also helps get my weight back for the drops.

4. No one's mentioned the last thing, yet. Keep looKing: it's fun! Don't bolt throught the pictures so quickly and you'll likely find improvement number 4.

I bought the stem in Moab, but I had everything else before the trip. I didn't fall off the cliff until I got home. None of the gear helped with that, but I was glad that I have started to wear armor.

(narration by tscheezy)

Bob comes up on the Waterfall move. The entry looks good...

...Houston, we have a problem...

A successful 5 foot drop to flat (on his back).

{Martin} And a sloppy speller too. The preferred spelling of 'wiener' is w - i - e - n - e - r, although 'e - i' is an acceptable ethnic variant.

"Its All Good"
    BtW, what have you done to the rare skewer, changed it to a new bolt through or something, something in that area though..

Great shots of that stack though, must have been on an SLR or good point and shoot.

Anyway your scooter is looking great, as always though
    The_Lecht_Rocks: whafe - cheeers - may i offer an official apology for the wagon wheeler "dis-belief"

trail fairy
    Nice Bob!

GD's are awesome, I see ya went for the cable acuated one, I can now see why that is a good idea mines manual (knob on the post), getting the hang of it, but with switching ETA, TST, GD she becomes a technical mish mash on the trail though after an hour or so I felt in the zone, probably took half an hour off my energy time on the bike though..
    Just riding a muddy trail. . ..

MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

Leatt FAQs

Brass Nipples!
    We have a winner Whafe!

My clue was weak, but if you look at my last post you'll find the words King fun bolt. I switched to the King heavy duty rear axle with fun bolts. In theory, they should stiffen up the rear end, but I've never been able to feel any flex. They're a cool bit of bling anyway.

Tscheezy has a cannon digital (non-SLR) that in sequence mode will take a picture about every second for as long as the shutter is held down. I was actually the photographer on these pictures from his post on the Turner board.

I guess if you can't do, photograph!
    Last edited by Bob the Wheelbuilder; 10-20-2005 at 03:58 PM.

Rolling

4. No one's mentioned the last thing, yet. Keep looKing: it's fun! Don't bolt throught the pictures so quickly and you'll likely find improvement number 4.
    I tried doing a similar triangles measurement with a ruler but might be off but it appears you also lowered your normal ride height a tad.

Brass Nipples!
    Quote Originally Posted by lidarman
    I tried doing a similar triangles measurement with a ruler but might be off but it appears you also lowered your normal ride height a tad.
    That's just perspective, I guess.

What's funny is (OK, I'm anal retentive, I admit) I usually measure my seat height, but I had to position it by feel after trading bikes in Moab. I was on to the milimeter when I got home.

"Its All Good"
    BtW, that 3rd shot is great, we so hane no terrain like that in NZ. That shot rocks....

Yes those GD work a treat, TrailAdvent was rocking last weekend on one, so was Momentis too........

TrailAdvent, get back to work my man.....................
    The_Lecht_Rocks: whafe - cheeers - may i offer an official apology for the wagon wheeler "dis-belief"

Trail rider and racer
    The Bike still looks great even with the slight changes made to it.

Gee, those gravity posts have taken a big following to them. They must be worth it!

What does the post weight out of curiosity?
    Trev!

Trail rider and racer
    We have a winner Whafe!

My clue was weak, but if you look at my last post you'll find the words King fun bolt. I switched to the King heavy duty rear axle with fun bolts. In theory, they should stiffen up the rear end, but I've never been able to feel any flex. They're a cool bit of bling anyway.

Tscheezy has a cannon digital (non-SLR) that in sequence mode will take a picture about every second for as long as the shutter is held down. I was actually the photographer on these pictures from his post on the Turner board.

I guess if you can't do, photograph!
    Nice pictures.
    Trev!

Brass Nipples!
    Quote Originally Posted by Trevor!
    The Bike still looks great even with the slight changes made to it.

Gee, those gravity posts have taken a big following to them. They must be worth it!

What does the post weight out of curiosity?
    I'm pretty sure weight is in the mid 400 gram range, so it adds about half a pound over a Thomson post.

If you frequently lower your seat already, it is definitely worth it. It's easy to raise and lower the seat as you ride without ever having to stop.

I think it's been worth it for me, because lately I've been trying to buy enough courage to do the kinds of drops tscheezy is riding in those pictures I took. Anything over 2 1/2 feet or so and I'm pooping diamonds after the ride, if you know what I mean.

trail fairy
    Whafes onto it

CK Fun bolts they do sitffen the rear end nicely!

BOB ya supposed to drop the GD when ya go down hill

Nice pics though and Ts as well sweet,

We don't have the exact rock here but I can take ya to some places like that in Central Otago!! just have to watch out for the odd 250ft drop into an old chinese gold mine or whats left of them, would love to ride in your/those places sometime, no new bikes next year must travel to some of these places instead!
    Just riding a muddy trail. . ..

MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

Leatt FAQs

Members who have read this thread: 0