MountainGoat aka OldGoat

New question here. Epiphany owner’s w/RP3

Do you guys know if the upgraded RP3 is valved or changed in any way for the Epiphany as compared to an off the shelf RP3? If so, are they marked in any special way as to tell them apart from other units?

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    I can't speak for the Epiphany but my wife's 05 Truth's Float R came with a sticker that says "Exclusively tuned for Ellsworth".

I asked PUSH what the special tune is and they said the difference is that Propedal has been detuned specifically for Ellsworth because the suspension design doesn't need as much stable platform. This makes the shock more plush.

mtbr member
    Pach,
    AS I tried to explain in your last thread, the '06 RP3 comes in 3 different propedal tuned versions...A picture is worth a 1000 turds though so check out the little graphic on the side of the RP3 shown here - As you can see, this particular RP3 is tuned for medium amount of Propedal. The Epi comes with this model RP3 (med. amount of propedal)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Hydrate or Die Trying

MountainGoat aka OldGoat
    Thanks Ahimanic and Painpusher,
    I sent this question to Dave at Ellsworth and this is his answer-
    "No problem I can answer that. The Float R is specially valved by Fox for Ellsworth and you should see a little Ellsworth sticker on the top. The RP3 is not however specially valved. But if you use it in the completely dialed out setting then it feels like the custom tuned R. We really recommend staying with the Float R even though it is a less expensive shock. The ICT technology eliminates the need for any platform valving.

Welcome to the Ellsworth Family!"

Now we all know!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pachaven
    Thanks Ahimanic and Painpusher,
    I sent this question to Dave at Ellsworth and this is his answer-
    "No problem I can answer that. The Float R is specially valved by Fox for Ellsworth and you should see a little Ellsworth sticker on the top. The RP3 is not however specially valved. But if you use it in the completely dialed out setting then it feels like the custom tuned R. We really recommend staying with the Float R even though it is a less expensive shock. The ICT technology eliminates the need for any platform valving.

Welcome to the Ellsworth Family!"

Now we all know!
    The only problem is that you may want to take that reccomendation with a grain of salt.

With all due respect to Ellsworth, it would be marketing suicide for them to reccomend the RP3 over the Float, because they advertise that their ICT is 100% efficient. Now I REALLY REALLY love my Epi, but C'mon, think about it - How can it not benifit you to have the RP3? I use the RP3 lever all the time, like when I have long flat streches of fire road, or when I am on the street commuting from trail head to trail head I just flip the switch and everything tigthens up, it's great!. The only thing I haven't figured out is what is the advantage to switchiing over to the "negative" propedal side...

GET THE RP3, you'll love it!!
    Hydrate or Die Trying

MountainGoat aka OldGoat
    Quote Originally Posted by PAINpusher
    The only problem is that you may want to take that reccomendation with a grain of salt.

With all due respect to Ellsworth, it would be marketing suicide for them to reccomend the RP3 over the Float, because they advertise that their ICT is 100% efficient. Now I REALLY REALLY love my Epi, but C'mon, think about it - How can it not benifit you to have the RP3? I use the RP3 lever all the time, like when I have long flat streches of fire road, or when I am on the street commuting from trail head to trail head I just flip the switch and everything tigthens up, it's great!. The only thing I haven't figured out is what is the advantage to switchiing over to the "negative" propedal side...

Well said Painpusher. And the RP3 is the way I am going!

mtbr member
    May 2004

With all due respect to Ellsworth, it would be marketing suicide for them to reccomend the RP3 over the Float, because they advertise that their ICT is 100% efficient. GET THE RP3, you'll love it!!
    Umm... 100%, as in the suspension design will not be activated by chain torque.. If u stand up and mash on the pedal, your weight shift will still cause the bike to bob.. Just like when you're pedaling, you're continualy shifting your weight and hence your bike will bob. This is where a pedal platform comes in..
    Last edited by littlejohn; 02-05-2006 at 03:16 PM.

Gooseberry
    Feb 2006

I have demo-ed the Epi twice with the RP3 and I was very impressed with the different setting. THe stiff mode really made for a nice climbing machine. I can also see the value of it being used on the road while riding to the trailhead. My current Specialized 04 Enduro Pro has the RP3 and I use it all the time to climb the hills along the Front Range.

My new frame (Smoked Black) just arrived with the tuned Float. I have the option of selecting either shock.

The question is has anyone ridden the Epi with both options and what are their thoughts?.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006

RP3 no longer

I just got my epi in with a Float R. That's right no RP3. I called my bike shop and they called ellsworth for me. Ellsworth said that they are no longer carrying the RP3. The expense was too great for all those riders who leave the pro pedal open at all times. He asked if they would swap it out. The answer, NO. I rode the bike on Sunday. No complaints what so ever with the R. I'm one of those riders that likes to dial the suspension in and leave it for most all of the trails in Mass. Just the thought of not being able to get what they have it spec'd with in all of their ads and have the option of adjusting the pro pedal pissed me off. So, time for me to shut it and ride.

mtbr member

fox shortage!!!

My LBS contacted ellsworth and this is why my Epiphany came with the Float R:

Fox Shock Shortage

Fox Racing Shocks has informed us that there will be no more RP3's available until mid to late May.
    Epiphanies will have the following options for shocks:

DHX Air $100 upgrade
    Fox Float
    Rockshox MC 3.3 $50 upgrade
    Last edited by natemirus; 03-24-2006 at 09:18 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by natemirus
    My LBS contacted ellsworth and this is why my Epiphany came with the Float R:

Fox Shock Shortage

Fox Racing Shocks has informed us that there will be no more RP3's available until mid to late May.
    Epiphanies will have the following options for shocks:

DHX Air $100 upgrade
    Fox Float
    Rockshox MC 3.3 $50 upgrade
    It Sounds like FOX is selling a lot of RP3 shocks!

That MC3.3 looks a bit dated to me, but the Pearl looks soo frik'n cool. I just haven't found enough feed back on it yet. A few folks are run'n it on thier 5Spot. I was hoping this new Pearl shock would give the RP3 competition, but I haven't really heard STELLAR feedback yet. No one has had the same success making a great shock as light as the RP3 yet. IT's been a while now, Fox must have reall been ahead of thier time with this design?

As for the Float R though, I would NEVER trade in my RP3 for it, I use the propedal lever quite often.

and fianally, I just don't see the advantage of running the DHX Air on the Epi...We've spent too much money to get a light frame and my RP3 works PERFECTLY with it. If Ellsworth will allow you to purchase the frame with out the shock, I think the best option right now is just getting a new Pushed RP3 from Pushed Industries...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by PAINpusher; 03-25-2006 at 04:07 AM.
    Hydrate or Die Trying

Members who have read this thread: 0