mtbr member
    Nov 2005

Epiphany "Light" Build-Check out the photos

I just picked up my new Epiphany-medium frame in black. Final weight with pedals is 24.5 lbs., which is lighter than my 2001 Truth. Ellsworth has really stepped it up a notch in the build and design of this frame. I made this bike as light as possible without sacrificing performance for heavy cross country/light free ride terrain. If you want one of these beauties, I highly recommend Lou at Briarcliff BikeWorks in Briarcliff, New York (Westchester County). Lou is a perfectionist and builds a great bike. The hand built wheels with king hubs, stan's rims and sapin cxray spokes are a work of art. I will review the bike in a couple of weeks after I've had a chance to ride it.

Build specs are as follows:
    Frame : Ellsworth Epiphany 2006
    Fork : Fox Float RLC
    Shock: Fox RP3
    Brakes : Magura Marta SL-160MM rotors F/B
    Shifter : Shimano XTR Pods SL-M952 (2002)
    Crank : Shimano XTR M960 with integrated BB
    Front Derailleur :Shimano XTR M960 Top Swing
    Cassette : Shimano XTR M960
    Rear Derailleur : Shimano XTR 2002 SGS Non-Rapid Rise
    Chain : Wipperman
    Pedals : Speedplay Frog Ti
    Headset : Chris King NoThread Set
    Stem : Syntace F99
    Handlebar :Easton EC90 SL , 24”, 31.8mm
    Cables : Nokon
    Seat post :Thompson Masterpiece
    Saddle : WTB Pure V Team
    Tires : Continental Vertical ProTection (K)
    Tubes : NoTubes.com
    Hubs : Chris King Disc ISO
    Front Rim :Stan NoTubes ZTR Olympic Disc
    Rear Rim : Stan NoTubes ZTR 355
    Spokes : Sapin CX Ray
    Skewers : Ellsworth QR[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Dec 2004

Nice Bike

That's a nice ride man, I can't believe it's only 24.5 lbs. Freakin' amazing for a 5.25" travel bike. Is it faster than your Truth? Good job on the build, congrats.

mtbr member

Very Nice!

Let us know how it rides and how those wheels hold up.

aka baycat
    wow nice ****ing build and crazy light to boot, **** probably just rips trails

MTB Coyote

Sexy!

Awesome ride Dude! I'm still waiting very impatiently for my black Epiphany to arrive (19")
    These pics are making me drool.

Trail rider and racer
    Very impressive. You could get the weight down even more - not that you need to.
    Trev!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Trevor!
    Very impressive. You could get the weight down even more - not that you need to.
    IMHO making this bike any lighter would negatively effect the ride. My EPI build is currently just a tad below 27# and it is nicely balanced between a ligthweight xc sprinter and a stable xtreme trail bike...Though I have to imagine that at 24.5#, your EPI is going to be super twitchy when you catch air - not slamm'n your bike, I just feel that mine is "just" heavy enough to smoothe out a lot of those micro twiches that you get from a super light bike. These characteristics most likely won't effect a hard tail or 4" as much, but the EPI just loves to catch air, it launches and lands soo easily and confidently, I'd just hate to take away from that.

-By the way I have about 7-8 rides in on this bike, and I am completely blown away, this bike handles excelently, and it's now completely dialed. As of now, there is not another bike I would consider trading this for - not even a Homerific Spot.

Thanks to the killer bikes from companies like Turner, Yeti, and Titus - Ellsworth was pushed hard to deliver a solid 5" bike. Not only did Ells deliver, this bike should prove to be a long term classic...We'll just have to wait and see how the reliability of the "in house " frames pan out.

This bike has me drooling to see the '06 Moment frame, the only problem is I can't justify a 6" bike for Austin, the EPI covers everything here in TX...Too bad?
    Hydrate or Die Trying

Neg reppers r my biatches
    Quote Originally Posted by PAINpusher
    IMHO making this bike any lighter would negatively effect the ride. My EPI build is currently just a tad below 27# and it is nicely balanced between a ligthweight xc sprinter and a stable xtreme trail bike.
    agreed. I would think for a ~5" travel bike the point is to have an approximate 28# bike (based on target components for a trailbike) to remain within what the frame is designed to tackle. Nonethelss, a VERY sweet and fortunately for us, there are no rules as to how bikes are built up.

i hope to ride an Ephiphany one day but have yet to even see one on the local trails unfortuantley.

cheers

aka baycat
    when does this new Moment come out?

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    i just ordered a moment frame through lou. i guess yours is the bike he was showing off when i was up there (although it was only a frame at that time). have you taken it out yet? i considered an epiphany but couldn't get a test ride in my size and i'm not one to take a chance on a new design and manufacturing plant/process. especially with a company with ellsworth's history. i also wanted something i could take to mountain creek and wasn't sure an epiphany would hold up there. this will be the first bike/build i've bought from lou but it sounds like i picked the right guy.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by metaldork
    i just ordered a moment frame through lou. i guess yours is the bike he was showing off when i was up there (although it was only a frame at that time). have you taken it out yet? i considered an epiphany but couldn't get a test ride in my size and i'm not one to take a chance on a new design and manufacturing plant/process. especially with a company with ellsworth's history. i also wanted something i could take to mountain creek and wasn't sure an epiphany would hold up there. this will be the first bike/build i've bought from lou but it sounds like i picked the right guy.
    Metaldork, you start by saying you just ordered a Moment, but then go on to explain you don't want an Epiphany for understandable reasons including: it can't be test ridden, it is a new bike and is made in a new factory...If you really are ording the '06 Moment with the NEW geometry, made in the NEW plant, and haven't had the chance to test ride one yet (because no one has it), think about it, that is no different than the chance we all had to take in ordering the Epi.

The good news for you is that I don't feel your taking much of a chance, if the build quaity of the new Moment matches that of the Epi (and there is no reason it shouldn't) Ellsworth is setting themselves up for a strong year in the bike industry!!

So the true question still remains unanswered: When will the '06 Moments be shipping!?
    Hydrate or Die Trying

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    ordered an 05 moment after test riding a small (not sure of the year) owned by one of the bike shop's employees. near as i know, 06 moments aren't even being built until 05s are sold out.

so there.

mtbr member
    ordered an 05 moment after test riding a small (not sure of the year) owned by one of the bike shop's employees. near as i know, 06 moments aren't even being built until 05s are sold out.

so there.
    Thats cool - You'll have a blast with the '05 Moment, thats what I ended up test tiding to make my decision on the Epi - I love the way the '05 Moment felt, and it was a good indicator to how the Epi rides (very similar geometry). In fact, I almost got lured into purchasing the Moment that I test rode. It really is the only 6" bike i've ever ridden that felt like it could handle aggro trail riding & still pull off the XC rides as well - I just couldn't resist a frame that was 2-3 pounds lighter.
    Hydrate or Die Trying

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    i couldn't decide between epiphany and moment, mostly because the epiphany is shiny and new and nobody else has it. but ultimately had to go for moment for all the reasons i mentioned above. but still had a bit of buyer's remorse after seeing this thread.

Time is not a road.
    Don't worry, when you saddle up on that Moment, any remorse you had will quickly disappear...

Trail rider and racer
    IMHO making this bike any lighter would negatively effect the ride.
    Yes and no. Putting a pathetic little wheelset and narrow tires would do so, but pop a carbon post on it and a SLR (things I like) and I don't think you would.

But as I said above. Really no need to change the weight. 24Lbs is great!
    Trev!

mtbr member
    Nov 2005

Wow 24.5lbs... mine came out to be 26.5lbs

Hey just a quick response...

My 06 Epiphany -medium came out to be 26.5lbs. Dang you got TWO pounds on me!! -hehe.

-JMS

Here is my setup:

Frame : Ellsworth Epiphany 2006 -medium
    Fork : Fox Vanilla RLC
    Brakes : Hayes HFX Comp
    Shifter : SRAM X.O ESP 9 Spd
    Rear Derailleur : SRAM X.0
    Chain : SRAM PC-99
    Pedals : Crank Bros Eggbeaters Ti
    Stem : Thomson 100mm
    Handlebar :Answer Protaper Carbon 1.0"
    Seat post :Thompson Elite
    Saddle : WTB Pure V Team Ti
    Tires : WTB Epic Wolf Kevlar 25x2.1
    Tubes : Light weight butyl tube
    Wheels: Shimano XTR Disk 3x2.0/1.7/1.8

Quote Originally Posted by mjiman
    I just picked up my new Epiphany-medium frame in black. Final weight with pedals is 24.5 lbs., which is lighter than my 2001 Truth. Ellsworth has really stepped it up a notch in the build and design of this frame. I made this bike as light as possible without sacrificing performance for heavy cross country/light free ride terrain. If you want one of these beauties, I highly recommend Lou at Briarcliff BikeWorks in Briarcliff, New York (Westchester County). Lou is a perfectionist and builds a great bike. The hand built wheels with king hubs, stan's rims and sapin cxray spokes are a work of art. I will review the bike in a couple of weeks after I've had a chance to ride it.

Frame : Ellsworth Epiphany 2006
    Fork : Fox Float RLC
    Brakes : Magura Marta SL-160MM rotors F/B
    Shifter : Shimano XTR Pods SL-M952 (2002)
    Rear Derailleur : Shimano XTR 2002 SGS Non-Rapid Rise
    Chain : Wipperman
    Pedals : Speedplay Frog Ti
    Stem : Syntace F99
    Handlebar :Easton EC90 SL , 24”, 31.8mm
    Cables : Nokon
    Seat post :Thompson Masterpiece
    Saddle : WTB Pure V Team
    Tires : Continental Vertical ProTection (K)
    Tubes : NoTubes.com
    Hubs : Chris King Disc ISO
    Front Rim :Stan NoTubes ZTR Olympic Disc
    Rear Rim : Stan NoTubes ZTR 355
    Spokes : Sapin CX Ray
    Skewers : Ellsworth QR[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

GoCyco
    Nov 2005

2 lbs., WOW!

I think he got you with the wheels and the fork. But that's still a big gap.

mtbr member
    hello
    i'm herve
    the french distributor off ellsworth cince 10 years
    and a big big fan off ellsworth
    and i just finish to build my Epiphany

11050gr

not so super...
    Quote Originally Posted by BOSS
    11050gr
    11050 gram = 24.361 079 971 pounds
    Nothing to see here.

mtbr member
    Hallo

My Epi comes out at 27.5

Frame : Ellsworth Epiphany 2006 - 19"
    Fork : Fox Vanilla RLC 130MM
    Brakes : Grimeca system 8
    Shifter : Shimano XT
    Crank : Shimano XT M760 with integrated BB
    Front Derailleur :Shimano XT
    Cassette : Shimano XT
    Rear Derailleur : Shimano XTR
    Chain : Shimano XT
    Pedals : Crank Bros Eggbeaters C
    Headset : Race Face
    Stem : FSA 90mm
    Handlebar : Easton Monkey Lite 0.75 rise
    Seat post : Thompson Elite set back
    Saddle : Forte Team Ti
    Tires : Panaracer fire xc pro
    Wheels: Spinergy Xyclone disk

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by merdas
    Hallo

My Epi comes out at 27.5

Frame : Ellsworth Epiphany 2006 - 19"
    Fork : Fox Vanilla RLC 130MM
    Brakes : Grimeca system 8
    Shifter : Shimano XT
    Crank : Shimano XT M760 with integrated BB
    Front Derailleur :Shimano XT
    Cassette : Shimano XT
    Rear Derailleur : Shimano XTR
    Chain : Shimano XT
    Pedals : Crank Bros Eggbeaters C
    Headset : Race Face
    Stem : FSA 90mm
    Handlebar : Easton Monkey Lite 0.75 rise
    Seat post : Thompson Elite set back
    Saddle : Forte Team Ti
    Tires : Panaracer fire xc pro
    Wheels: Spinergy Xyclone disk
    Meridas -You've made some SERIOUS changes to your geometry (from a flat bar/130mm stem to a riser bar/90mm stem) - How's the fit coming along??
    Hydrate or Die Trying

mtbr member
    Meridas -You've made some SERIOUS changes to your geometry (from a flat bar/130mm stem to a riser bar/90mm stem) - How's the fit coming along??
    You got some memory PAINpusher. In my basement it feels better but I have not had a chance to try it outside (bad weather).

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    This is great, Epiphanies are coming out of the wood works now. Seems that many of them are from overseas. Interesting.

The Epiphanies sure build up light. Can't wait to see some serious ride report to come in and I can't wait to see how hard people are gona huck these and how they hold up. With 5.25" of travel, you know they're gona get hucked

mtbr member
    Nov 2005

You are right

Yeah I have got to get off my butt and on the trail more to get an Epi ride report out. I'll try to post some when the trails dry out. Nuthin' but clay around my area so wet riding is out (five feet and then you are stuck in the mud). I'll be on rollers for a few more weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by ahimanic
    This is great, Epiphanies are coming out of the wood works now. Seems that many of them are from overseas. Interesting.

The Epiphanies sure build up light. Can't wait to see some serious ride report to come in and I can't wait to see how hard people are gona huck these and how they hold up. With 5.25" of travel, you know they're gona get hucked

get out of here you friggin Homer!

not so super...
    Quote Originally Posted by FoShizzle
    you talkin' to me?

Listen here buddy. My past ownership of two Ellsworth's gives me plenty of leeway to visit over here every once and a while.

Now go back to the dark ages on the single speed, fully rigid forum.

j/k Fo
    Nothing to see here.

Quote Originally Posted by SSINGA
    you talkin' to me?

Listen here buddy. My past ownership of two Ellsworth's gives me plenty of leeway to visit over here every once and a while.

Now go back to the dark ages on the single speed, fully rigid forum.

j/k Fo
    point well taken...i forgot about your Ellsworth ownership.....I still hate you and you are still a jerk!

i guess I was getting carried away with all the hoopla surrounding you Homers being snobs and poser http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=160165

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    point well taken...i forgot about your Ellsworth ownership.....I still hate you and you are still a jerk!
    SSinga is one Homer I would welcome here at any time, whether he ever owned an Ellsworth or not. Perhaps we can lure him back from the "dark side " in the near future with the Rogue.

i guess I was getting carried away with all the hoopla surrounding you Homers being snobs and poser http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=160165
    Pretty funny no one, even from his own board, agreed with that nut. Ellsworth got an honorable mention too.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005

Homer?

Huh? I am not sure who or what you are referring to. Please explain.

-JMS

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by JMSDifi
    Huh? I am not sure who or what you are referring to. Please explain.

-JMS
    Homer is a nick name for Turner bike owners.

Leash Law Enforcer
    Quote Originally Posted by ahimanic

I can't wait to see the hucking either. It is just a matter of time before this board is full of Epi drop photos. Hopefully the before and after pictures show the frame in the same state. I love Ells but such a light frame has me a little skeptical as to much abuse it will be able to take. I have held an Epi frame in one hand and a Moment frame in the other. The Epi feels like it is about half the weight! Now that I mention it, I would love to see some Moment hucking as well. I haven't seen a whole lot of that on this board. Anyone have some pics?

Time is not a road.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pinch
    I would love to see some Moment hucking as well. I haven't seen a whole lot of that on this board. Anyone have some pics?
    What's hucking? Sounds like something to do with corn.

MTB Coyote
    Is Hucking jumping and dropping of **** ? Excuse the ignorance!

MTB Coyote
    Yeah Merdas, I'm interested to know to! Did you swap the stem,handlebars and seatpost?
    if you put the thomson w/setback on before you changed the stem you could probably then go with a shorter stem.

Nice Build!

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by JMSDifi
    Hey just a quick response...

My 06 Epiphany -medium came out to be 26.5lbs. Dang you got TWO pounds on me!! -hehe.

-JMS

Here is my setup:

Frame : Ellsworth Epiphany 2006 -medium
    Fork : Fox Vanilla RLC
    Brakes : Hayes HFX Comp
    Shifter : SRAM X.O ESP 9 Spd
    Rear Derailleur : SRAM X.0
    Chain : SRAM PC-99
    Pedals : Crank Bros Eggbeaters Ti
    Stem : Thomson 100mm
    Handlebar :Answer Protaper Carbon 1.0"
    Seat post :Thompson Elite
    Saddle : WTB Pure V Team Ti
    Tires : WTB Epic Wolf Kevlar 25x2.1
    Tubes : Light weight butyl tube
    Wheels: Shimano XTR Disk 3x2.0/1.7/1.8

I'm not sure how my bike weighs 2 lbs less than yours but 24.5 is the weight on Lou's scale. I rode the bike once and am very impressed. Its much more nimble tham I expected and the front end sticks through tight turns better than my truth. It also seems to climb better-seems more efficient in putting the power to the ground. Coming off the truth with a 100mm fork I was worried the front end would come up on steep hills but I have noticed any issues. In terms of rock gardens, downhills and drop offs I have not yet pushed the limits but so far I am impressed with the plushness and stability of the bike. Going from a small truth with a 120mm stem to a medium Epi with a 90mm stem puts me in a much better position to ride more extreme terrrain. One more thing, while I am worried about having problems with a new model, the design, fit and finish on this bike is a step up over prevoius Ellsworth products (although I do like the durability of the old shotpeened finish). BTW-I have a 2001 truth which I abused and have had ZERO problems.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Either way you can't go wrong-both bikes are great. The moment will certainly be more indestructible. The Epi is not designed to freeride like the moment so it sounds like you made a good choice. You can also build up the moment on the light side if you want more of a heavy duty trail bike and less of a downhill bomber.

Time is not a road.
    Quote Originally Posted by greg.ag
    Is Hucking jumping and dropping of **** ? Excuse the ignorance!
    Yes, basically. I was kidding. It's a Freerider's term.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by chad1433
    Yes, basically. I was kidding. It's a Freerider's term.
    I just came across these two terms yesterday on a website (nsmb.com I think) where a columnist was talking about the difference between "hucking" and "chucking".

He said hucking is when you roll off a drop at a slower speed and does not get much distance from the jump, whereas chucking you are going faster off the ledge and with a bunny hop to shoot from the ledge and get more distance.

Who knew!

Time is not a road.
    I think it's the difference between a bender with Tequila or beer:

Beer - hucking
    Tequila - chucking

pit
    mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    hello
    i'm herve
    the french distributor off ellsworth cince 10 years
    and a big big fan off ellsworth
    and i just finish to build my Epiphany

11050gr
    Hello herve,

what a nice bike you have !!
    My wife loves it....what size is it ??? Small
    I hope i'll be able to buy her one later......
    Steve, from France too.

Time is not a road.
    Is that a Pace fork? How do those compare to Fox, Rock Shox and Marzocchi? You don't see many, if any, here in the States.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SSINGA
    11050 gram = 24.361 079 971 pounds
    Does that include pedals?
    My wife thinks I am nuts for spending this much on a bike. I tell her I think I am nuts for spending that much on her Diamond ring!

mtbr member
    hello steve
    thanks
    it's a medium

the pace fork
    the pergect fork for the perfect frame
    130mm of travel, 1590gr !!!
    for me it works better than than fox
    and as good as a revelation
    but made in UK
    it's QBP who distribut it in USA

for the moment it weighs 11kg (not included pedales)
    after the test with a french magazine
    i will change the saddle for a aliante and the the tire
    for some thing bigger
    i think i will finish at 11,6kg

mtbr member
    a other off my 12 personal bike
    a ellsworth flight powered by sram XO carbone

mtbr member
    and definitivly my favorite bike
    probably the best allmountain in the market
    the ellsworth moment

with chris king blue hubs
    exactly the same color as the frame
    cince the photo I change the shifter and derailleur
    for sram XO and i will probably change the fork
    12,5kg

Zip
    Joe Dirt Status

Good job!

and definitivly my favorite bike
    probably the best allmountain in the market
    the ellsworth moment

with chris king blue hubs
    exactly the same color as the frame
    cince the photo I change the shifter and derailleur
    for sram XO and i will probably change the fork
    12,5kg

Very nice bike/set up. What kind of fork do you think you'll go too? I heard the Marz AM 1 also works well.

mtbr member
    hello
    a pace RC41 fighter
    world lightest 150mm travel fork

Zip
    Joe Dirt Status
    hello
    a pace RC41 fighter

Nice! Sweet looking fork! What does it weight?

mtbr member
    1695gr

Elitest thrill junkie
    hello
    a pace RC41 fighter
    Maveric DUC32 is lighter.

I'm defintely not a believer in QR dropouts for 150mm...I did a "wait and see" approach with my AM1, but it was well worth it to go to the 20mm lowers.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

My cup runneth over
    With all these pictures of bikes with no pedals you guys are in serious danger of more inclusion on the poser and snob posts...

Very nice looking rides - enjoy!

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    hello steve
    thanks
    it's a medium

the pace fork
    the pergect fork for the perfect frame
    130mm of travel, 1590gr !!!
    for me it works better than than fox
    and as good as a revelation
    but made in UK
    it's QBP who distribut it in USA

for the moment it weighs 11kg (not included pedales)
    after the test with a french magazine
    i will change the saddle for a aliante and the the tire
    for some thing bigger
    i think i will finish at 11,6kg
    Hi Herve, I'll be glad that you tell us in which french mag and in which issue this test will be published. I'll apreciate, mercy beaucoup

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    3.7368350968843393 pounds....

the xtt I have spec'd waiting for my EPI is: 3.99 LB's

where can I get one of these forks ??
    Hello from Colorful Colorado

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Trekster
    3.7368350968843393 pounds....

the xtt I have spec'd waiting for my EPI is: 3.99 LB's

where can I get one of these forks ??
    I think this one is the distributor for the States: http://www.qbp.com/

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Found it.....holly cow, thats an expensive fork, even at dealer cost !!
    Hello from Colorful Colorado

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Pace now offer 20mm axle on their forks for an extra £50.
    You can't make a racehorse out of a donkey, but you can make a fast donkey.

Time is not a road.
    Quote Originally Posted by A MAN CALLED HORSE
    Pace now offer 20mm axle on their forks for an extra £50.
    I saw one in MBUK on the new Pace 303 Hardtail. That's one sweet looking bike! I doubt you'd ever see one here, though...

I ride a Swarf
    Those Epiphanys are real sweet looking beasties!

mmm light and nice amount of travel.

I run Pace RC41 XCAMs on me spesh....Light, Smooth and Stiff.....love em hehe.

Stu
    What exactly is a rigid hard tail?

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Pace forks are terrible and have awful customer service. I would never buy another pace product.

I ride a Swarf
    Quote Originally Posted by Robbz
    Pace forks are terrible and have awful customer service. I would never buy another pace product.
    My experience is just the oposite. I damaged my rc36s in a stack and they had them sorted in under a week from me posting em to getting em back.

Stu

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    My pace forks lasted six weeks then they packed up. Sent them back to pace and they came back with the same problem, but with the fork lowers all chipped up as well as an added "bonus". Rubbish company, rubbish product IMO.

I ride a Swarf
    Quote Originally Posted by Robbz
    My pace forks lasted six weeks then they packed up. Sent them back to pace and they came back with the same problem, but with the fork lowers all chipped up as well as an added "bonus". Rubbish company, rubbish product IMO.
    bugger. bad experience. Had my RC 36s since 01 and my 41s since june last year. Both going strong. Guess you had saoma bad luck, but I had your experience I'd prbably feel the same way. I'd still recommend em though going on my experience.

Any way...Epiphanys....lovely hehe

Stu

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Hey nice bike...I am thinking on buying an epiphany...but I am not too happy with the seat and head angle...seems that the bike would not be a good climber...
    Please let us know how the bike rides....???

Time is not a road.
    Quote Originally Posted by fastniner
    Hey nice bike...I am thinking on buying an epiphany...but I am not too happy with the seat and head angle...seems that the bike would not be a good climber...
    What might "seemingly" make it a not-so-good climber will also make it a good descender. That being said, it's the balance of the bike that will give it good all-around qualities, while the suspension design provides good traction in loose and rocky steeps. Other factors will affect its "climbing", like weight (5.7lbs for 5" of travel!), and most fundamentally, the engine pushing it. I think you'd find it capable of climbing anything you can power it up!

I can contest that my Moment isn't the best climber. But really, it's me...I suck at climbing. If I could push it faster uphill, the front end wander wouldn't then I'd think it was the best climbing bike in the world! (despite the 69 degree HA).

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    I'm curious, why do you think the HA and SA of Epiphany make it a weak climber?

At 70 (HA) and 73.5 (SA) the Epiphany is pretty close to that of the Truth....and the Truth climbs famously!

The Epiphany is also very light, just a bit heavier than the Truth.

The Horst Link suspension design hooks up on technical climbs, arguably, like no other.

Look like the ingredients of a great climber to me.

Leash Law Enforcer
    No doubt the Epi will be a good climber. If it didn't climb good it wouldn't be an Ellsworth.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    I am sorry I must have read somewhere that the HA was 69...which would not be a good climber (for me)... I have had all kinds of bikes...Specialized, GT, Cannondales, two Santa Cruz, Orange, Surly, Vicious, Moots, and Dean. One thing I have learned is that weight is not as important as a seat and head angles (at least for me). As I said I am looking for a dual susp bike, I have been riding rigid SS, and 29er for long time, and want to add something different to the stable...
    I am thinking of a Groover 29er from vicious, but the Epiphany is making my head turn...

That is why I will wait until you guys give your impresions....

It must climb as well as it must go down, it must be a sweet ride, if you guys know what I mean,

Thanks...

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    I am sorry I must have read somewhere that the HA was 69...which would not be a good climber (for me)... I have had all kinds of bikes...Specialized, GT, Cannondales, two Santa Cruz, Orange, Surly, Vicious, Moots, and Dean. One thing I have learned is that weight is not as important as a seat and head angles (at least for me). As I said I am looking for a dual susp bike, I have been riding rigid SS, and 29er for long time, and want to add something different to the stable...
    I am thinking of a Groover 29er from vicious, but the Epiphany is making my head turn...

It must climb as well as it must go down, it must be a sweet ride, if you guys know what I mean,

Thanks...
    Well, have not ridden the Epiphany yet so I can't vouch for it's climbing abilities. It's angles are close to the Truth though. And let me tell you, I was blown away by the Truth the first time I threw a leg over it and until I traded for the 6" Moment.

My Moment has 69 HA and it technical climbs well too. Granted, the front end will wander more compared to the 70 and 71 HA but you trade that for great downhill stability. I don't know any bike that will be great in both departments, one is usually better than the other. You have to choose what's more important to you. Some riders do love the climb and don't care much for downhills. But I think most of us tolerate the climbs so we can get some sweet descends

mtbr member

Thanks...
    So what would be the ideal HA and SA for perfect cilmber bike?

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    It will tend to 71º rather than to 69º HA

mtbr member
    Does anybody remember what HA and SA on Id was?
    Is HA on Epi 70 or 69?

Members who have read this thread: 0