mtbr member
    Nov 2005

Epiphany! How much abuse can it take?

Just wandering how much abuse can it take, thinking of getting this than a 6 inch travel bike and building it with tough components

Time is not a road.
    How much abuse are you planning? Either way, you'll have two years of riding under warranty to test the limits. But that's probably not the best way to find out. If you stick to the parameters of the bike's design, you should be okay. Don't use 210mm rotors, maybe stay away from Fox 36 Talas forks(maybe not? At 130mm, these forks fit the frame well). Go with the deep set headset if you do.

It should be able to handle large volume tires, rough, rocky trails and a few drops. But once you load it up with heavy parts, you'll realize you could have a Moment at around the same weight...it's a conundrum.

Leash Law Enforcer

Largely untested

I'm going to have disagree with Chad on this one. If you look at the Ells catalog it shows the Epi as spanning the XC and AM categories. The Moment spans into the FR category. Ells is clearly trying to draw a distinction between the two frames. I don't think that the Epi is intended to handle anything big. I think that it truly is intended to be more of an XC frame with technical ability and strength to handle smaller drops. I would be surprised if Ells would recommend dropping 3'-4' consistently on this frame. The Moment on the other hand seems to be built for that stuff. My guess is that Ells will not warrant anything outside of the Epi's intended purpose.

All that being said, you never know what it can do until you try. There are no real ride reports on how big this thing can go. How much the fram can handle will likely be different from what the manufacturer suggests.

A great example of all this is the 5-Spot over on the Turner forum. There are a lot of people doing some bigger things than were ever intended to be done on the Spot. DT has said on that forum that it was intended for "flowing" terrain. Yet, you will see pics of people going big on them. Time will tell how the Epi holds up. Regardless, it should be a great ride.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003

Depends on how much you weigh

Quote Originally Posted by SpR(o)cKeT
    Just wandering how much abuse can it take, thinking of getting this than a 6 inch travel bike and building it with tough components
    Its a 5.5 lbs frame, i doubt it can take much more abuse than a Truth.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ratt
    Its a 5.5 lbs frame, i doubt it can take much more abuse than a Truth.
    In my opinion, its 5.6 pounds because of the alternative metal Ellsworth chose to use (Mg) for the rear rocker, not because they designed it with insignificant tubing wall thickness. Plus, at the major stress areas, the tubing is externally butted - YOU CAN SEE how strong it looks. If you haven't ridden this bike yet, you should withhold giving expert judgment, this bike feels incredibly SOLID...no matter how much it weighs.

With that said, my fingers are crossed, I'd hate to see breakage reports surface - I love this thing.
    Hydrate or Die Trying

Time is not a road.
    Quote Originally Posted by PAINpusher
    In my opinion, its 5.6 pounds because of the alternative metal Ellsworth chose to use (Mg) for the rear rocker, not because they designed it with insignificant tubing wall thickness.
    That's really where I feel the weight of the Moment - right at the rockers. The DHX probably doesn't help either! But, you can tell the tubing of the Moment is very thick. The one gusset it does have at the headtube is minimal.

Certainly the newer tubesets are lighter, but it's unclear yet if they're weaker. I think it will be up to you guys to put this bike through its paces and see what goes. Unless Ellsworth has done a lot of testing, which we all hope they did.

Members who have read this thread: 0