Leash Law Enforcer
    I have never ridden a TALAS but I have ridden the Float. I did not like it. Have you thought about the Pike? It seems like it would be a great fork for the Epi. I don't know what Ells' suggested AC height is for the Epi, but if you get the adjustable travel Pike you can adjust it accordingly.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006

Epiphany Fork Dilemma

Need your help guys,
    Just bought EPI and need to decide:
    Which fork is more suitable to Epiphany, TALAS or FLOAT ? (RP3 rear)
    Thanks,

mtbr member
    Yeah, I second the Pike or Revelation.
    Hydrate or Die Trying

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Tried a Pike for the first time recently on my Id and was underwhelmed. Did not track nearly as well as the TALAS, (northeast riding, rock gardens, roots, etc) and I have to give the nod to FOX on build quality.

aka baycat
    Marzoochi AM 1 Fork with ETA (130mm of travel), bout that one?

Time is not a road.
    Really? That's suprising. It's the first time I've seen that assessment of any Pike. Most of the guys around here have dumped their Fox 36s for Pikes.

Anyway, for the Epiphany, I'd recommend the Revelation, the Float RLC or Talas or the All Mountain SL 110-130 or AM 1. All of these will be QR instead of 20mm thru axle, so no need to convert. All have 32mm stanchions, 5" of travel and air springs. Most have some sort of travel adjust option, if this is important to you.

If I was spending your money, I'd get the AM SL. If I was spending mine, I'd get the Revelation. I've seen these forks and the quality, to me, seems every bit as good as the Fox products. I don't like the "as designed" loose bushings of the Fox forks that cause both knock and leakage. While I appreciate the "Made in America" moniker, they're still a bit too expensive. I might condsider, however, buying direct from Push Industries, getting a fork tuned for my new bike right from the get go. That's an option, too, if you're really wanting a Fox.
    Last edited by chad1433; 02-15-2006 at 09:00 AM.

Brass Nipples!
    TALAS 130 for me, but that's what I had laying around. I liked it on my Moment, but it wasn't enough travel for that bike.

Rock Shox have been getting good reviews lately after a long dry spell. I for one have liked the Fox products I've tried, though.
    {Principal Skinner} Hmm. Whoever did this is in very deep trouble.
    {Martin} And a sloppy speller too. The preferred spelling of 'wiener' is w - i - e - n - e - r, although 'e - i' is an acceptable ethnic variant.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by mbexx
    Tried a Pike for the first time recently on my Id and was underwhelmed. Did not track nearly as well as the TALAS, (northeast riding, rock gardens, roots, etc) and I have to give the nod to FOX on build quality.
    i completly disagree with you.
    RS build quality is as good (or better) than fox.
    for the epiphany the best choice is revelation: light,stiff, easilly adjustable, not expensive.
    for me the pike is a too big fork for a so light frame

Time is not a road.
    I rode with a guy on Sun who has a Pike Air on his 5 Spot. It did not seem out of place on that frame. The other guy had a Revelation on his 5 Spot - it seemed equally appropriate. Between the two, you're talking about 10mm of travel and a different axle. The chassis is probably a little beefier on the Pike. But it depends on the style of bike you're riding. These two guys have very different styles, one being more race oriented the other more "freeride".

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    i agree with chad.
    for me the epiphany is a light bike so it need a light fork.
    the moment is for more agressive riding and the pike is for it.

mtbr member
    For my Epi, I went with the Revelation WITHOUT U-Turn and I can tell you that not once have I ever wished I could reduce the height...It really is a great fork. In the past I've posted a concern about not getting the full 5" of travel out of this fork, but I'm happy to say I finnaly got full travel on a ride last weekend. Both my front fork and my RP3 DRASTICALLY improved after breaking in. On my bike, break in time was just about 125 miles.

P.S. - I like the build quality of this fork, and quite honestly, money was a non-issue when I built my bike, I simply picked out what I believed to be the best for my riding style.
    Hydrate or Die Trying

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

It comes down to...

riding style, of course. BUT even more important, without question is the type of terrain you ride. Just my opinion, but for Northeast riding, the Revelation did not match up to the TALAS. Gone are the noodly Rockshox, I will definitely say that the Revelation felt solid. (although I did detect minor flex during hard cornering) However, where it failed (for me) was it's ability to track in the rough. I think the AM1 and the TALAS are better options for where I ride 95% of the time. For groomed flowing singletrack, I think the Revelation will serve well.
    Rockshox dominated this market not long ago, and definitely lost their edge when Marz and Fox raised the bar. (I remember losing an entire summer of riding sending a leaking SID back every other week) The Revelation is no clunker for sure, it's solid. Proof that RS is back in the game.

trail fairy
    2c
    1: AM SL
    2: Revelation though I don't know much about this fork yet but RS/Sram have been doing the bus.
    3: Pike Air maybe
    4: had the Talas not nearly in the same league as my Marz so Fox have lost me somehwere along the way, no longer such a big fan!

Good luck
    Just riding a muddy trail. . ..

MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

Leatt FAQs

Members who have read this thread: 0