Thread: Epi with a coil

GoCyco
    Nov 2005

Epi with a coil

Anyone thinking of running a coil on their Epi?

trail fairy
    Why?

If ya want a Coil get the Moment/Rogue!

Even the Moment now is specced with a DHX air!

Not to spoil the party but its obvious why the Epip is Air only and reccomended, check the E website or catalogue!
    Just riding a muddy trail. . ..

MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

Leatt FAQs

Time is not a road.
    But certainly you could run a Vanilla, Romic or Swinger on the Epiphany frame. And why not? Coil is smooth and plush and virtually maintenance free.

The biggest drawback I could see is that the RP3 is just a better shock than any of the current coil offering in the sense that it's very responsive to small bumps as well as large and it's very, very light. I've read, though, that Ti springs offer an improvement over steel in small bump sensitivity, so perhaps a Romic with a Ti spring would be a good shock for the Epiphany. It's unclear whether the DHX would fit, but it looks like it would. If you look at the Turner forum, a lot of guys are running DHX shocks on their 5 Spots. So if the Epiphany is like the Spot, why not run coil?

It's only necessary, IMO to have a small amount of platform damping. I like the suspension to be a little more active. I rode a Vanilla R on my Isis (no Pro Pedal) and preferred it to the Float. Especially since I ran coil on the front. The two shocks matched up well for a nice balanced feel.

Go ahead, slap a coil fork and shock on that bad boy! It's a bike, not wall art. Ride it!

trail fairy
    v
    But certainly you could run a Vanilla, Romic or Swinger on the Epiphany frame. And why not? Coil is smooth and plush and virtually maintenance free.

The biggest drawback I could see is that the RP3 is just a better shock than any of the current coil offering in the sense that it's very responsive to small bumps as well as large and it's very, very light. I've read, though, that Ti springs offer an improvement over steel in small bump sensitivity, so perhaps a Romic with a Ti spring would be a good shock for the Epiphany. It's unclear whether the DHX would fit, but it looks like it would. If you look at the Turner forum, a lot of guys are running DHX shocks on their 5 Spots. So if the Epiphany is like the Spot, why not run coil?

It's only necessary, IMO to have a small amount of platform damping. I like the suspension to be a little more active. I rode a Vanilla R on my Isis (no Pro Pedal) and preferred it to the Float. Especially since I ran coil on the front. The two shocks matched up well for a nice balanced feel.

Go ahead, slap a coil fork and shock on that bad boy! It's a bike, not wall art. Ride it!
    Why not is exactly my point, some basic logic would suggest you can run anything on anything if you wanted!<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comfficeffice" /><o></o>

<o></o>

If you need a coil shock IMO then choose a frame that will benefit from it, obviously weight is not the first priority if you want a coil so for a little extra the Moment would be more suitable to the type of riding a coil shock will deliver then match it to a coil fork or AM1 for AM/Trail riding and you'd still have a fairly light build depending on the wheelset.<o></o>

<o></o>

I have run the DHX5 and RP3 since they came to being and setup is the most critical aspect which takes time to understand and feel for whats going on theory is one thing aplication is another, Ive p[played with suspension for years now I think I have my shocks and forks pretty well dialed for what suits me, but it took experimentation and understanding what suited my riding style, I think I have my RP3 on my ID working as well as the DHX on the Moment, though I ride both differently, I’ve broken my back in the past and I feel small bumps or lack of suppleness as much as anyone, and I'm not saying air is better either, but most would stuggle to pick holes in my rides smoothness. and I have no back problems with my setup the RP3.

<o></o>

As to the Epiphany which I have not yet tasted good setup should be all that’s needed to get a great overall ride, the frame has been lightened it has a magnesium rocker, a waste to have a coil on there and may cause stress in other areas? who knows its early days!

<o></o>

Like taking high performance car with low profile directional tires and sticking high profile all purpose tires on there to have a supple ride at slow speeds!<o></o>

<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->What we don't need is morons going out there with coil shocks 6inch travel forks+ bolt thru hucking there Epiphanies then coming on here and slaggin off cause they broke there frame and its the manufactures fault!

Its not rocket science, I always thought that people in this market were more informned partly due to the fact when parting with so much money they understand more than the basics and appreciate what a boutique manfacturer provides, these type of questions puzzle me constantly!

Anyways everyone is enitled to there opinion this is only one of them, good luck!

Ps I see chad1433 you have a Moment, would have thought you would have had a good insight here!
    Just riding a muddy trail. . ..

MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

Leatt FAQs

Time is not a road.
    The use of coil shocks does not indicate the purpose of a chosen bike. Coil and air have distincly different properties when it comes to suspension action. Air seals in a fork and shock require higher tolerances because of high air pressures. Coil shocks generally do not need as much maint. as air shocks. Some people like the linear feel of coil, as well as the simplicity.

Today's mix of coil and air shocks are equally capable of both XC/Trail and DH and it really depends on the platform they're set up on. The only reason many Trail bikes come with air shocks is weight. But if weight is not a concern, then the performance of coil shocks is well worth considering on any bike, regardless of the purpose.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by chad1433
    The use of coil shocks does not indicate the purpose of a chosen bike. Coil and air have distincly different properties when it comes to suspension action. Air seals in a fork and shock require higher tolerances because of high air pressures. Coil shocks generally do not need as much maint. as air shocks. Some people like the linear feel of coil, as well as the simplicity.

Today's mix of coil and air shocks are equally capable of both XC/Trail and DH and it really depends on the platform they're set up on. The only reason many Trail bikes come with air shocks is weight. But if weight is not a concern, then the performance of coil shocks is well worth considering on any bike, regardless of the purpose.
    I was also under the impression that air shocks (RP3) were not reccomended for heavier riders 225ish & up???

TT.
    wheeler
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by trailadvent
    What we don't need is morons going out there with coil shocks 6inch travel forks+ bolt thru hucking there Epiphanies then coming on here and slaggin off cause they broke there frame and its the manufactures fault![/font][/color]
    x2.....almost like the 240# dude wondering if he should run a truth a few months back
    there's a reason why Ells has expanded their line up....pick the right bike and yer will be happy

chad has a good point still...nothing wrong with running a coil shock on truth/epi...as long as it's ridden on what it was designed for
    I Ride, I Know

GoCyco
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by TT.
    ...nothing wrong with running a coil shock on truth/epi...as long as it's ridden on what it was designed for
    Exactly. Truths were spec'ed with Romic coils at one time. Coils have a nice plush feel and you won't get stranded miles from the trailhead with a blown seal. If you're not going to race the bike, why not go for a more comfy, reliable build?

Members who have read this thread: 0