mtbr member
    Sep 2005

Ellsworth Rogue - Need your advice

Hi All,
    I'm new in this forum and I would like get some information from 1st hand owner's of the Ellsworth Rogue.
    I'm now searching to replace my 2003 SC Heckler with new AM/FR bike, and I'm thinking of buying the new Rogue. I would like to get a 7" front & back AM bike that could climb well for long epic rides, and to be strong enough for more aggressive ride and drops.
    My main focus is on two bikes: the Intense Uzzi VPX or the Ellsworth Rogue.
    I searched this forum and didn't find any data on the bike so I have few questions about it.
    How dose it pedals?
    How much the frame weights?
    How the bike handles on tight single tracks because it has much longer wheelbase then the Heckler.

Thanks,
    Lior

I'm sorry for the bad English it's not my 1st language….

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by LiorDrZ
    Hi All,
    I'm new in this forum and I would like get some information from 1st hand owner's of the Ellsworth Rogue.
    I'm now searching to replace my 2003 SC Heckler with new AM/FR bike, and I'm thinking of buying the new Rogue. I would like to get a 7" front & back AM bike that could climb well for long epic rides, and to be strong enough for more aggressive ride and drops.
    My main focus is on two bikes: the Intense Uzzi VPX or the Ellsworth Rogue.
    I searched this forum and didn't find any data on the bike so I have few questions about it.
    How dose it pedals?
    How much the frame weights?
    How the bike handles on tight single tracks because it has much longer wheelbase then the Heckler.

Thanks,
    Lior

I'm sorry for the bad English it's not my 1st language….
    I was very tempted also when I saw a picture of the Rogue, to my taste, this is the best looking bike on the market right now. However like you I could not find much info on it. There has been 1-2 reviews in UK bike magazines and it got rave reviews but not much real life comments here on MTBR. After much research I decided to order a Nomad mostly because like you I was afraid about the very long wheelbase of the Rogue and I come from a bike of similar characteristics to your Heckler, the Devinci Banzai. I also did not want to have a 170-200mm fork because it would be way to heavy to my taste for trail duties and I'm not sure the Rogue with a 150mm fork is a great idea. Anyway, I hope you are more successful than me in finding info on it. For sure in a few months there will be some that will buy this frame and info will start flowing... Cheers.

aka baycat
    Is the new 6.6 out of the question? Would def. consider that bike or maybe a Nomad, but the 6.6 I think seems a lot stouter.

Time is not a road.
    I think that the bike would pedal fine, but it's going to be a heavy bike. You might temper this with some of the new generation 7" travel single crown forks as this bike is designed for 6-8" of travel. You could run a DHX-Air for 6 or 7" and spend the money to have pedalable freerider, but perhaps the Moment would be enough for what you're wanting. Its geometry will be better for climbing.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Is the Rogue even being shipped yet? The only ones I've seen so far are proto types.

I know a shop manager who has been riding a proto type and he loves it. He was going to get a Moment until he rode the Rogue. He told me the Rogue only weigh a 1/4 pound more than the Moment.

There was a thread posted by Winston a while back that had a series of pictures of the Rogue being hucked off 10-foot drops.

The Dude Abides

All Mountain vs. All Big Mountains

I current ride a 6" Joker and rode both a Moment and Rogue at Interbike this fall. So I'll give you my direct comparison. I too am in the market for a new bike, and I was set on a Moment, but then they bring out this crazy new Rogue and it sparked my curiosity.

So I rode the moment first. It had a DHX Air on the rear and a coil Pike w/ 145mm on the front. We did a downhill run on it, and went down one of the narlier trails. When we got through most of the nastier stuff, I noticed that I never felt nervous with the Moment. While I was definately pushing the limits of the geometry, it just felt good. I think a large part of it is that the geometry is very similar to my Joker, and it made me feel at home. But the Moment certainly has no problems about hitting the nasty, technical downhills. Another thing I noticed is the suspension felt much more plush and active than my Joker. I think most of that comes in the stiffer frame, which allows the suspension to work more naturally and than dealing with all of the frame flex and misalignment in the rough stuff. Not to mention how sick the DHX is. It pedals extremely well, especially standing and through bumps.

I waited over an hour to ride the Rogue, but it was definately worth it. It had a DHX coil and Fox 36, both very nice. I did a couple of laps on the lower trails to try to test in the type of situations I would use it in most. On the way up, I noticed that it pedals better than the Moment in the saddle. I'm a pretty tall guy, and they didn't have the longest seatpost, so I wasn't even in the proper position, but the Rogue still bobbed less, in fact, it didn't bob at all. I had always read about how the Dare suspension (which is what the Rogue is) was the best pedaling design Ellsworth had. But because of the size and geometry of the links, it always had to be on a big travel bike. So with that said, the Rogue gets pretty sluggish when you get out of the saddle. The 8" of plush travel is very responsive and feels amazing on the way down. We were bombing down a trail and there is a section where you step up onto this chattery, rocky type section and drop off the other side. We were rippin, and I got kind of nervous coming up to it, expecting to have to deal with some serious feedback. But no, nothing, the bike took all of it flawlessly. It was amazing. I had never felt anything like it before. The geometry, while slackish and long, never felt akward on the singletrack. It did take a bit more work to manuver it around, but nothing that took away from the ride. The only thing that seemed a bit out of place for general trail riding were the rather long chainstays (17.4" vs. the Moment's 16.9). It was heavier, but still under 40lbs. They tried to tell me it was 35, but I would say it was more like 38-39 with the build kit they had, which was on the beefy end of things. The 36 was perfect on the front, but I would definately go with a DHX Air for the rear. You could drop a good pound in frame weight right there, and then you would be about 1/2 lb heaver than the Moment with the same build.

So in conclusion, while they say the Rogue is an "all-mountain" bike, it is still not an everyday rider like the Moment. I like to ride rugged trails, both up and down, and while I would love that big suspension, I also love to get out of the saddle and go for epic rides where gobs of suspension are not necessary. I think the Rogue would bog me down too much for my brand of trail riding. Its also probably a bit much for 24 hour races, where the Moment will kick major ass. Soooooo, if you are going to be doing some big mountain stuff where the uphills are mostly fire roads and the downhills are super sick, the Rogue would be it. But if you are hitting all kinds of terrain with twisty singletracks, technical uphills and downhills, that is the Moments territory all the way. And have no fear, the Moment will definately take the freeride punishment of almost every rider. It could be ridden in Cranworkx and not break a sweat. The Rogue you could drop off anything and it won't care. Sorry this got a bit long, but it will hopefully answer your questions.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005

Hi All,
    It was a very tough decision for me which frame should I take, so after a weekend riding on the Intense Uzzi VPX, and some talking with the owners of the frame, they explained me the bad & ugly with this frame (front derailleur computability issue, seat post issue, and the service were I live…) so I decided to pass the Uzzi. (baycat - I passed the 6.6 because the price of this frame that is more expensive then the Uzzi – don't ask me how… , and the frame felt less stiffer then the Uzzi, but the 6.6 was my first pick to replace the Heckler).
    Today I rode with Ellsworth retailer where I live, and he brought his Ellsworth Dare and gave me them to try them, to see how is the rear suspension works and feel, compared to the Heckler and the Uzzi. I rode the Dare and it felt great on the why down. the rear suspension was amazing compared to the Uzzi & Heckler. (I didn’t try to climb with the Dare it was built like a Tank...).
    After the ride I decided to order the Rogue, and I ordered it with 7" rear suspension option with the Fox DHX 5 coil version, and with the smoke painting. I will get my frame on Feb 10th and I will post some pictures when the bike will be ready.
    Thank you all for the replays and help. (Up Dude Thanks for the review it was most helpful).

Lior

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Congrats! I believe you'll be the first one on this board to own a Rogue. Please do come back with lots of pictures and ride report!

Time is not a road.
    Yeah, we're all looking forward to THAT! What fork are you opting for? How about the other components?

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by chad1433
    Yeah, we're all looking forward to THAT! What fork are you opting for? How about the other components?
    Hi,
    I didn't decide about the fork yet... but my 2 options are the Fox Talas 36 or the Marzocchi 66 Light ETA. i know that the 36 is only 150mm but I'm placing him because of the travel adjustment. This option is a must for me I have the Marzocchi Z1 2004 on my Heckler and I'm using the ETA all the time. So my next fork should have this kind of an option.

Most of the parts will come from my Heckler and the spec is:

Front & rear derailleur - Shimano XTR
    Shifters - Shimano XT (the old ones)
    Brake levers - Shimano XT
    Brakes - Shimano XTR with 8" rotors
    Crankset - Shimano Saint 175 24/36 with E13 bash guard
    Cassette - Shimano XTR
    Seat post - Thomson elite
    Stem - Azonic Shorty 50mm
    Handle bar - Answer Pro Tapper
    Headset - Chris King
    Hubs - Rear HADLEY 12mm (New I need to buy) Front - HADLEY 20mm (have it on my bike)
    Rims - WTB Dual duty FR
    Saddle - SDG Bell Air SL

Lior

Time is not a road.
    have you considered the 66 SL? Lots of guys are having fun with them over on the Turner boards. There seem to be some quality issues with the Fox 36s that some have complained of.

While the SL doesn't have a quick dial down travel adjust like ETA or Talas, it does have TST, which gives you the option of finding a sweet spot. You'd save some weight over the Light ETA model, too.

The Dude Abides

Good Call

Nice Choice! With all of the hype surrounding the VPP stuff (which is amazing, dont get me wrong) I still have to say that the Ellsworth design takes the cake. And their geometry is just so frickin awesome! Long live long top tubes!

But I'm glad you got your choices sorted out. I'm jealous. I wish I could justify getting a Rogue as well. As soon as I'm rich and famous. Enjoy your ride and we all look forward to seeing shots when you get it.

Members who have read this thread: 0