mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Ellsworth Frames and auto polish...

Before I go and do something stoopid....

Has anyone experienced any problems using polish on their frames? I've got a shot-peened and anodized Moment I was thinking of polishing (so as to prevent dirt sticking to it, rather than "improving" the finish or making it shinier...)

Can anyone recommend any products for keeping the frame in A1 condition?

mtbr member
    Haven't done it in years, but used Pledge with success before.

trail fairy
    For non sticking dirt esspecially if ya riding in mud (PAMS spray the cooking variety) but only on the obvious parts, I don't bother myself though, I just clean her when I get home!

Looking after the frame, water, finish line bike spray cleaner, then dried off with a clean rag, then the cheap option is Lemon Pledge if ya can get it over there NZ $2.30 here smells nice and cleans the frame to a tee!

The expensive route but really worth it is Pedros bike lust and shell be very thankful!

All frames come up sweet with this hot stuff, never damaged a frame with either, from my Mapei team edition Colnago to Anodised Es! sweet as.

The full monty clean is mineral terps in a container first brush onto cluster cranks pedals before washing the the bike, then hosed off away from the bike, this does not leave a degreasing film like degreasers and other cleaners evaporates imediately, and does not damage frame finishes, but keep away from pivots bearings etc pretty simple then I hose my bike brushing off hard to remove dirt with finish line bike spray on cleaner, preps it for the good stuff.

Then brush off and lightly hose, dry off with rags, then degrease the chain with finish line citrus cleaner, wipe dry, let it hang overnight then I apply RocknRoll gold lube, wipeing vigoursly listening to the Kings music! add some silicon to exposed areas like my nokons avoiding the discs, which by the way I wipe dry with clean paper towls avoid had contact with the rotors, towles are also good between the calipers to remove any build up.

Then I bring out the Pledge or Pedros bike lust to finish her off!

Shes like new again ready to get her dirty again next time

Good luck.
    Just riding a muddy trail. . ..

MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

Leatt FAQs

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    I used poly sealant car polish and it works fine. It doesn't really need it though. Shot peened anodized, one of the best bike finish ever!

Time is not a road.
    Bike Lust...it's good for one ride, then you need to reapply it. But really, dirt has a hard time sticking to that surface anyway.

Amphibious Technologies
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Brown
    Haven't done it in years, but used Pledge with success before.
    I use Pledge too and it works awesome; leaves a waterproof layer that prevents dirt from sticking. Give it a try and you'll see.

I also use sunblock on my red anodized frame during the summer to minimize color fading (photo bleaching).
    "The best you've ridden is the best you know" - Paul Thede, Race Tech

mtbr member
    Dec 2004

Pledge It

Quote Originally Posted by SCUBAPRO
    I use Pledge too and it works awesome; leaves a waterproof layer that prevents dirt from sticking. Give it a try and you'll see.

I also use sunblock on my red anodized frame during the summer to minimize color fading (photo bleaching).

Sunblock? I've never heard of using sunblock on a bike before, but if it keeps your frame from turning pink, I'm all for it. I've seen too many red bikes/parts turn pink from the sun.

I usually just wash my bike with soap and water, then follow it by drying off with a towel. To finish off the bike, I use Pledge wipes. They now come in a convenient canister. It leaves the bike shiny and the loose dirt here in Socal doesn't stick to it.

5 x 5

Sunblock?! SUNBLOCK?!?!

LOL!

And here I was worried about _scratches_...
    "Check out dude."
    "Dude, crazy."

mtbr member
    Oct 2004

Sunblock?! That's a first!

I've seen UV protectant for fiberglass boats before, I forget the name. I've seen them in REI kayak section. Try marine stores too. Those should last longer than sunblock.

Amphibious Technologies
    Quote Originally Posted by MrMountainHop
    LOL!

And here I was worried about _scratches_...
    Well if you have a red anodized EW bike them you better start using some sort of UV protectant to delay turning PINK...I just didn't want to ride around on a PINK bike but if you're into that sort of thing...
    "The best you've ridden is the best you know" - Paul Thede, Race Tech

mtbr member
    Feb 2005

Frame letter cleaning?

On both my black (shot penned) Truth and my new black Epi I've had problems getting the white letters cleaned. I seem to handle the bike with slightly greasy hands and the letters get dull...

Any recommendations? I would like to get them super white and then cover them with 3M's Scotchguard (8mil clear)...

___________o
    ------- _`\<,_ ~~ It is better to have done ~~
    ------ (*)/ (*) ~~ too much than not enough. ~~

mtbr member
    Dec 2004

Use a light degreaser

Quote Originally Posted by hangfire
    On both my black (shot penned) Truth and my new black Epi I've had problems getting the white letters cleaned. I seem to handle the bike with slightly greasy hands and the letters get dull...

Any recommendations? I would like to get them super white and then cover them with 3M's Scotchguard (8mil clear)...
    I haven't had this problem, but I'd try Simple Green straight on a soft towel. Or maybe Gojo hand cleaner, the non abrasive goop?

El Malo
    Wow, crazy stuff... although I'll say, not everyone can get away with riding a pink bike.
    My friends always gimme a buncha crap for being such a clean freek and using different brushes and rags to clean and re-lube my bikes but I in no way go to the extent which you guys describe.
    One cleaning technique that makes me cringe is watching everyone spray their bikes at the bottom of the lift at the Whistler Bike Park. If you've ever been there on a wet day you'll know what I mean. Ppl will take the hose wide open and spray directly into their entire bikes.
    Living up here in the PacNW, the bikes see a good amount of dirt and mud but rather than hosing like a maniac, I just take out the seat post to let any moisture drain as I take a brush to get the big stuff off, a rag to wipe the stanchions and wait until the mud dries before dusting it off.
    Occasionally, I'll take off the chain and blow air through it before lubing.
    If you do this regularly, you get it down quick and your ano will look killer.
    "... the only thing we have to fear is fear itself - "

Members who have read this thread: 0