mtbr member
    Oct 2004

Does 06 Moment models differ from 05?

Hi,
    I wanted to know if the new Moment models are different from the 05 ones.

Team Mistermoonbikes

the same question

I want to know the same...

Rolling
    My understanding is there is a slight geometry difference (head angle). And once the asym chainstays are in production, this will be another difference.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    I've been told by Ellsworth that the geometry does not change much...despite of what has been advertised in MBA. They said the angles released to MBA were to meet publishing deadline and may not be the final spec.

Of course, there is the modified rocker arm pivot mount and smooth anodized finish like the Epiphany as advertized in MBA. But no streaking. The colors will be black, gray and a black/blue fade.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    My guess it's a completly differant bike. New geometry, new chainstays, new tubing, new finish, new manufacturing facility. Same name. If you want a Moment - get it now.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by PizzaMan
    My guess it's a completly differant bike. New geometry, new chainstays, new tubing, new finish, new manufacturing facility. Same name. If you want a Moment - get it now.
    You think they'll mess with the Moment that much? It has been a great seller for Ells and people have been very happy with the frame. The Moment is getting a face lift for sure but I hope its ride doesn't get messed with too much.

One important note about the Moment is that components will be backward compatible.

It sure will be interesting to see how the Moment does with the unveiling of Epiphany. If I was to judge by the fan fare Epiphany has received, it'll be no competition.

Time is not a road.
    Geez, wasn't it about perfect as it was?

I know some mags said it was not as "freeride" as other bikes like the 6-Pack, but now theres the Rogue, so what's the diff?

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by ahimanic
    You think they'll mess with the Moment that much? It has been a great seller for Ells and people have been very happy with the frame. The Moment is getting a face lift for sure but I hope its ride doesn't get messed with too much.

One important note about the Moment is that components will be backward compatible.

It sure will be interesting to see how the Moment does with the unveiling of Epiphany. If I was to judge by the fan fare Epiphany has received, it'll be no competition.

I don't know why they touched the Moment at all. Pesonally I'm sick of companies updating models all the time for no reason. Look at the SC Heckler , Titus switchblade,
    these came out way before the Moment, and are still the same.
    About the Epiphany - I cant compare it to the Moment. It has limited fork travel (130mm) which limits choices available today for serious AM / Trail riding - like the Talas 36, Zoke AM series, RS Pike, etc...... Plus, it's weight is suspicious to me, I mean, how strong could it actually be ? It may serve well as a XC / Marathon racer (which I think is what is what designed for in the first place), but since people seem to want to buy it for trail riding , I think this bike will have a tough life.

avi
    Happy to Help

Good job! Little difference

There is little difference from the 05 to 06 Moment save a asym rear end and wedge carbon insert and new polished ano finish other than that there pretty much the same. Geometry stays the same, I own an 05 large. Its the most fun I have ever had on a mountain frame.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by PizzaMan
    About the Epiphany - I cant compare it to the Moment. It has limited fork travel (130mm) which limits choices available today for serious AM / Trail riding - like the Talas 36, Zoke AM series, RS Pike, etc...... Plus, it's weight is suspicious to me, I mean, how strong could it actually be ? It may serve well as a XC / Marathon racer (which I think is what is what designed for in the first place), but since people seem to want to buy it for trail riding , I think this bike will have a tough life.
    Actually, the 2006 Ellsworth catalog says the measurements for Epiphany are based on a 125mm fork but the recommended fork travel is 125mm-150mm. People are without a doubt going to use the Epiphany for trail riding and some smaller hucks. I hope Epiphany will stand up to that type of riding otherwise it will not be competitive against the 5-Spot and it will be a replay of the 2001 Truth saga. We may be surprised by Epiphany's durability disguised under its light weight. People have ridden the 5-Spot very hard and it seems to have taken the abuse well.

The new magnesium rocker on the Epiphany is supposed to be lighter yet stronger than aluminum. The new asymmetrical stays are stronger than the old stays too. I hope the weight savings are from those areas and not the places that were prone to breakage in the past. Time will tell soon enough, a lot of Epiphany have been spoken for and we should see a lot of reviews in a few months.

It's true that the new Moment has received quite a few tweaks for 2006 but Ellsworth done it right by making everything backward compatible.

trail fairy
    Here we go again! my my Mama mia!

Dam I feel for all bike companies, consumers really are a pain in the butt at times!

Do the research its really quite simple, but sometimes walking through the door is just too difficult I guess!

My first reaction to this post, then I checked the E catalogue?

I will say as per attached pics from the E catalogue this really pisses me off cause as I said above here we go again, what a contridiction, either a bad editing mistake or E if this is covering your bases and it goes the wrong way you asked for it! my 2c I'm over it...

I personally believe you should choose your catagory based on your honest opinion on yr riding style, forget weight unless the frame fits your choice.

The ID in comparison was different it was a 6inch bike to begin with, forks at the time were way behind the eight ball when this frame was first released, so I could see both sides, but there is no excuse for this in my mind we have a frame for each intended use, stick with it and you can't go wrong.

If the Epip brakes cause people wacked a 6inch fork on it and the catalogue is correct then replace them no questions asked when they break!

Now I'm off on my ID for a ride dam why can't life be simple..My ID rocks by the way.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Just riding a muddy trail. . ..

MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

Leatt FAQs

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Call me stupid, but whats with these figures on the bottom bracket and stand over heights? +5, what the hell is that, PLUS from what? What does these figures equate to when measuring a bottom bracket normally from floor to centr of bottom bracket axle?

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Newark
    Call me stupid, but whats with these figures on the bottom bracket and stand over heights? +5, what the hell is that, PLUS from what? What does these figures equate to when measuring a bottom bracket normally from floor to centr of bottom bracket axle?
    I'm pretty sure it's from the line drawn between the front and rear axles- other manuf. use the same figures- ofcourse it all depends on fork and tyres also.
    You can't make a racehorse out of a donkey, but you can make a fast donkey.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by A MAN CALLED HORSE
    I'm pretty sure it's from the line drawn between the front and rear axles- other manuf. use the same figures- ofcourse it all depends on fork and tyres also.
    Yes and the Moment was designed around a 5" (495mm A-C distance) fork. If you want to put a Fox 36 or a 6" Marazzochi on it with an axle to crown distance of 535mm and some 2.35 tires your BB height will be about 14.75" which is too high. What TE should have done for 06 is changed the head angle and BB height to give a BB height of 14" and a head angle of 67 degrees with a Fox 36 at full extension.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Ridge Rider
    Yes and the Moment was designed around a 5" (495mm A-C distance) fork. If you want to put a Fox 36 or a 6" Marazzochi on it with an axle to crown distance of 535mm and some 2.35 tires your BB height will be about 14.75" which is too high. What TE should have done for 06 is changed the head angle and BB height to give a BB height of 14" and a head angle of 67 degrees with a Fox 36 at full extension.
    If I'm not mistaken the 2006 Moment does have a slacker head tube angle than 2005, according to the published specs anyways.

I have the 6" AM1 and 2.4 Specialized Enduro UST on the 2005 Moment and the BB height feels fine. It does't feel too tall at all--for me. In fact, the BB height on the Moment felt kinda low to me especially when I had a 5" fork on it before. I kept slamming the pedals into rocks. It may just be me though...I came off an old 99 Truth with higher BB.

Members who have read this thread: 0