Thread: Distance

Get out of town!

Distance

Does anybody ride a Distance? Do you race it? Jump it? Drop it? Love it? Hate it?

Very little feedback on these bikes.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    good all day bike with a very low maintenace single pivot design. A killer frame for the money. If you don't like the look of the extruded aluminum "y" frame the front end goes more traditional for 06
    www.treefortbikes.com Just lauched V2.0 with free shipping and low prices!

Get out of town!
    Quote Originally Posted by applegreenheckler
    low maintenace single pivot design. A killer frame for the money.
    That's what I'm thinking... I don't know much about the Atlas suspension and would love to know how this bike climbs under power and also how 'laterally stiff' it is.

I don't mind "ugly" frames btw - the Ventana X5 is on my top 5 list right now.

Leash Law Enforcer
    Never rode the Distance but got in a few rides on an old Isis, predecessor to the Distance. The Atlas suspension works great. Those things pedal like a dream and descend very well.

Time is not a road.
    I rode an Atlas equipped Isis for over two years and I loved it. Important to note is that I never got a platform shock or had any modifications, like Push for example. I never felt that suspension bob was a real issue. Maintenance was virtually non-existance. I stayed with the stock bearings the entire time.

There is some noticeable lateral flex but it didn't seem to be something I could feel on the trail. I didn't obsess about it. Single pivots tend to lock up under hard braking and I think this is the strongest limitation of this design. Also, pedal feedback was evident from time to time, especially on large, square edge hits where the suspension is cycling a lot while you're pedaling. Climbing in real loose conditions are tougher too because of the rear end stiffening that's inherent to SP designs (in the small chainring - this is what also limits "bob"). I'm told that a platform shock would help reduce these effects to a minimum. Essentially you learn to adapt your riding to the bike and the terrain. Also, the cable routing for disc brakes was a bit lacking. I expect that this is different for the new Distance, since the Isis was designed before discs were so prevalent. Also, the Isis was marketed as a bike that could be both a trail bike and a race bike (the Playboy Extreme Team raced/races them!) so V-brakes were an option.

The rear is nice and wide, so tire clearance is excellent. The geometry is good and makes for a comfortable all-day trail bike. I think the Distance has a one degree slacker HA for longer forks. Desending was great because the bike has a nice long wheelbase and the angles for it. You need to learn not to lock the rear. This also makes you faster, IMO!

I always wanted more travel out of my Isis, so I think the Distance is a great upgrade. It would make a good all-around trail bike. It's versitile enough to try many different shock and fork options, there's litte limitation on tire selection and the new finish is awesome. Plus, you'll be happy with the fact that few others have the bike that you do!

Get out of town!
    Thanks for th insight. I have a Enduro right now and I raced it during last year's local summer race series. I did pretty well with it but couldn't stand the spongy feel (bob) of the rear suspension during really hard efforts out of the saddle. It would just zap my energy. I would like enough travel to tackle technical terrain terrain and some jumps and smaller drops (3-4 feet) but still have a lighter weight/ race worthy bike.

So, naturally I have been looking at the Flux and the Ventanana Salty. I also looked at the X5 and realized that even w/ 5" of travel the bike could be built to race (also why I was checking out a Distance). I'm not a weight weenie but I don't want a 30+ pound bike either. It sounds like the Distance may not be what I need. If a 4" travel bike can take some hammering on more aggresive trails and still hold up then I will likely go with that option (I know the 4" Salty looks pretty beefy). I guess just need to keep doing my research. I have also had my eye on a 4" travel Sycip. I want that kind of pedaling effeciency but also want the bike to hold up to aggresive XC. Oh yeah, I weigh 175 to 180lbs (depends on the time of year). Am I looking for something that doesn't exist or will these bikes live up to the hype?

Time is not a road.
    Sounds like you need a Titus Motolite...OR...an Epiphany.

I think the Distance can be set up light and racey, but the 69 degree HA may be a hinderance in fast climbing efforts. I'm not sure. The single pivot design would be less "active" than the Enduro so maybe more "race-like".

Other bikes might be a Yeti ASR, Santa Cruz Superlight/Blur XC or Giant Trance. There are really a whole host of 4" travel bikes that are rugged enough for trail riding and XC racing. But I think the Distance has morphed away from it's racing days.

Get out of town!
    Seems like there are some good deals going on Motolites too. That is a great option for me - you're right. I haven't checked out the Epiphany much but I am going to head to the Ellsworth website now (home sick with strep so I have plenty of time on my hands ).

Get out of town!
    $2400 for the Epiphany frame?!?!

Time is not a road.
    I agree, it's a bit high. The MotoLite is made in Taiwan so Titus could keep costs down. I think it's cheaper than a Racer X.

Titus is a good company and their bikes are solid. In the current issue of Mountain Bike Action, they have a brief review of the MotoLite. Seems like a good bike for both extremes.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Im 6ft tall and ride a 19" Distance. Great all round trail bike and handles really well downhill due to the fairly long wheelbase. Plenty of room to move on the bike too which I like. Using a light build with XT/XTR and WTB laserdisc wheelset the whole bike weights 12.2 kg or about 25 pounds!!

Members who have read this thread: 1