mtbr member
    Oct 2005

New question here. DHX Coil spring rate

Hey Guys,

I'm new to the coil spring thing and had a few questions. My new Moment came with the 500# spring. I looked at the setup data base and see that people are using various weight springs. I'm 230 with full gear. I called Fox and they suggested a 650# spring. So I ordered one. While I was waiting for the spring to show up, I cranked the bottom out resistance up to full and put 140# in the boost chamber to keep the 500# spring from bottoming out. I was running about 28-30% sag. This setup was really plush and I never really felt it bottom out. The bottom out bumper did make it all the way to the bottom of the shaft, but it never seemed like I hit the bottom hard.

Today I ride for the first time with the 650# spring and boy is it harsh. I was at about 28% sag. I backed the bottom out resistance all the way out and put 110# in the boost chamber. I also needed about 4 more clicks of rebound. I rode some fairly bumpy single track with no big drops...maybe a drop or two of 1 foot or less. I look at the bottom out bumper on the bottom of the shock and it is still .25" or more from the bottom spring retainer. That means the shock still has .75-1" travel left.

So my question is...is Fox just really conservative on the spring rate they recommennd? Are they expecting that I'm hucking the bike and not just trail riding? With the 500# spring the front and rear seamed more ballanced. Now the rear is really stiff. According to Ellsworth, I think you are only supposed to reach the bottom of travel about 10% of the time. Would a 600# be better? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Jim

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    If you don't find what you need here call or email Ryan at Ellsworth. He is very knowledgeable with suspension setup.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Thanks for the reply. I actually called and spoke to Ryan before I bought the spring. He also felt that a 650# spring was right. I asked about the ride being to harsh and he felt that for my weight the spring would be ok. I originally called to find out why Ellsworth doesn't ship the bikes with the proper spring rate for each rider as it seems like you could damage the frame with too light of a spring (doing big drops and bottoming it out all the time.) He told me they set them all up with a spring for a 160-180# rider.

Jim

Members who have read this thread: 0