truth seeker

DHX 5 coil on Id

I'm thinking of mounting a Fox DHX 5 coil rear shock (7.875 x 2.25) on my 2003 ID. Any fit issues? Are there other Id riders with experience riding the Fox coil rear shock?

Amphibious Technologies
    Quote Originally Posted by Reptile
    I'm thinking of mounting a Fox DHX 5 coil rear shock (7.875 x 2.25) on my 2003 ID. Any fit issues? Are there other Id riders with experience riding the Fox coil rear shock?

You may have issues with the reservoir hitting the downtube. I would go for an Avy Chubbie instead of a DHX (more reservoir clearance).
    "The best you've ridden is the best you know" - Paul Thede, Race Tech

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    I tried to fit one on my Id and it didn't fit (7.5x2.0). I did measure up my Avy Chubie and the reservoir won't hit. Just FYI

"Its All Good"
    wouldnt mess with fitting it to an ID, not a good thing. Go with an RP3.
    The_Lecht_Rocks: whafe - cheeers - may i offer an official apology for the wagon wheeler "dis-belief"

truth seeker
    Quote Originally Posted by Whafe
    wouldnt mess with fitting it to an ID, not a good thing. Go with an RP3.
    Why is it not a good thing? I've ridden the DHX 5, and it is one sweet shock. I don't want an air shock, so for me, the options are keep the Romic I have or upgrade to the DHX 5 or a Fox Vanilla RC.

The Moment geometry seems pretty close to that of the Id and I thought the DHX 5 would likely fit the Id (i.e., the reservoir would not hit the down tube) since the DHX 5 works on the Moment. What am I missing?

Brass Nipples!
    Why is it not a good thing? I've ridden the DHX 5, and it is one sweet shock. I don't want an air shock, so for me, the options are keep the Romic I have or upgrade to the DHX 5 or a Fox Vanilla RC.

The Moment geometry seems pretty close to that of the Id and I thought the DHX 5 would likely fit the Id (i.e., the reservoir would not hit the down tube) since the DHX 5 works on the Moment. What am I missing?
    I can't remember for sure, but I think Ellsworth said the shock doesn't fit an Id due to clearance problems and the Moment was the first bike to have its mount designed specifically to fit. I do like the shock a lot, but Maybe Whafe's saying the mess isn't a good thing.

I think the best answer would come from writing or calling Ellsworth directly. Maybe pecusick can answer if he reads this.
    {Principal Skinner} Hmm. Whoever did this is in very deep trouble.
    {Martin} And a sloppy speller too. The preferred spelling of 'wiener' is w - i - e - n - e - r, although 'e - i' is an acceptable ethnic variant.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    The reservoir hit the top of my downtube (even with the bottom out knob removed). I'm running the medium or whatever (23.5" top tube).

Time is not a road.

How about Manitou 3-way? There's no res. to get in the way, yet you get some of the options of the DHX. I imagine you'd have the same problems with the RC as you would with a DHX. Doesn't Fox make a shock with a remote res? I know 5th Element does. Maybe that'd be an option, too.

truth seeker
    Quote Originally Posted by chad1433
    How about Manitou 3-way? There's no res. to get in the way, yet you get some of the options of the DHX. I imagine you'd have the same problems with the RC as you would with a DHX. Doesn't Fox make a shock with a remote res? I know 5th Element does. Maybe that'd be an option, too.
    Actually, an Ellsworth rep told me in an email that a Vanilla RC will work.

I'd prefer the DHX 5. If that doesn't fit, I may order an Avy or try to find a 7.875 x 2.25 Vanilla RC.

Time is not a road.
    Actually, an Ellsworth rep told me in an email that a Vanilla RC will work.

I'd prefer the DHX 5. If that doesn't fit, I may order an Avy or try to find a 7.875 x 2.25 Vanilla RC.
    I wasn't too familiar with the Avy, but it seems to be getting a lot of buzz, especially on the Turner boards. For you, it looks like the ticket:

• Floating piston compact reservoir design fits space limited frames

It just depends on your budget(that Ti spring is sweet!).

Amphibious Technologies
    Quote Originally Posted by chad1433
    I wasn't too familiar with the Avy, but it seems to be getting a lot of buzz, especially on the Turner boards. For you, it looks like the ticket:

• Floating piston compact reservoir design fits space limited frames

It just depends on your budget(that Ti spring is sweet!).
    Or you may want to check out the
    CCDB. It might just fit...

truth seeker
    Quote Originally Posted by SCUBAPRO
    Or you may want to check out the
    CCDB. It might just fit...
    Well, I *guarantee* that the DHX 5.0 coil will not fit on the ID - the reservoir will indeed strike the downtube at full compression. That is the bad news. The good news is that I have an Avy Chubie on order.

Anyone want to buy a practically new DHX 5.0 coil (7.875 x 2.25)????

Amphibious Technologies
    Well, I *guarantee* that the DHX 5.0 coil will not fit on the ID - the reservoir will indeed strike the downtube at full compression. Anyone want to buy a practically new DHX 5.0 coil (7.875 x 2.25)????
    Am I missing something here? Didn't we all indicate it will not fit on the Id

truth seeker
    Am I missing something here? Didn't we all indicate it will not fit on the Id
    I guess I missed the unanimity of opinion to which you refer. You said that I "may have issues with the reservoir hitting the downtube"; Lucky7 gave it the thumbs down from firsthand experience (should have listened to him); Whafe said "wouldn't mess with fitting it to the Id"; and Bob the Wheelbuilder recommended contact with Ellsworth.

Well, I take everything I read on these boards with a big grain of salt, although clearly there are some regulars - and you may well be among them - whose advice is actually worth something. I bought a shock (one in excellent condition that I knew would fit a friend's bike if it didn't fit mine) after receiving this well informed missive from one Tony Ellsworth, in response to my inquiry regarding a similar size shock with a large reservoir (DHX air):

[Tony Ellsworth] The DHX AIR will fit it—I’m pretty sure… Piggy Back on the upper side, just make sure it will compress fully without contacting the down tube.

Maybe Ellsworth is not the best source for reliable information about Ellsworth...

Amphibious Technologies
    after receiving this well informed missive from one Tony Ellsworth, in response to my inquiry regarding a similar size shock with a large reservoir (DHX air):

[Tony Ellsworth] The DHX AIR will fit it—I’m pretty sure… Piggy Back on the upper side, just make sure it will compress fully without contacting the down tube.

Maybe Ellsworth is not the best source for reliable information about Ellsworth...
    Ah-huh! That's what I missed

Brass Nipples!
    I guess I missed the unanimity of opinion to which you refer. You said that I "may have issues with the reservoir hitting the downtube"; Lucky7 gave it the thumbs down from firsthand experience (should have listened to him); Whafe said "wouldn't mess with fitting it to the Id"; and Bob the Wheelbuilder recommended contact with Ellsworth.

Well, I take everything I read on these boards with a big grain of salt, although clearly there are some regulars - and you may well be among them - whose advice is actually worth something. I bought a shock (one in excellent condition that I knew would fit a friend's bike if it didn't fit mine) after receiving this well informed missive from one Tony Ellsworth, in response to my inquiry regarding a similar size shock with a large reservoir (DHX air):

Looks like my advice wasn't worth much in this case. Sorry
    {Principal Skinner} Hmm. Whoever did this is in very deep trouble.
    {Martin} And a sloppy speller too. The preferred spelling of 'wiener' is w - i - e - n - e - r, although 'e - i' is an acceptable ethnic variant.

Carpe Noctem
    Dec 2005
    My Id had a Vanilla RC and it worked great.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Vanilla RC fit

Quote Originally Posted by OnTheMoment
    My Id had a Vanilla RC and it worked great.
    I'm positive that someone posted a pic of a small, red-ano ID with a Vanilla RC here in the Ellsworth forum. I saw this pic after I was told by someone handling my case at Ellsworth that the Vanilla RC wouldn't fit the size small 2004 ID that I was getting, due to reservoir/down tube interference.

My warranty situation took a while to straighten out, including them sending me the wrong size frame/wrong shock on the first try. Ever since I saw the pic, I've wondered if I was just being hurried along when they said that I would have to go with the Romic. Obviously they had the small frame/Romic combo readily available to ship immediately.

Another (admittedly) rather cynical suspicion on my part was that I was being "inventory clearanced" in the sense that the employees were aware by that time that the ID was being discontinued, and they were done with ordering Vanilla RC's from Fox. As it turns out I'm now a fan of the Romic, but hmmm....

Just out of curiosity, can anyone out there confirm whether or not a 7.875 x 2.25 Vanillla RC Propedal would fit a small 2004 ID? I was initially leaning towards that shock because there is always the PUSH option if the stock valving was not to my liking.

Carpe Noctem
    Dec 2005
    Sorry dude, mine was a medium.

Amphibious Technologies
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperBri
    Just out of curiosity, can anyone out there confirm whether or not a 7.875 x 2.25 Vanillla RC Propedal would fit a small 2004 ID? I was initially leaning towards that shock because there is always the PUSH option if the stock valving was not to my liking.
    I've done it (small Id). Yes, it fits without any clearance issues. PUSH'd RC works great on the Id.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

And there it is...

I've done it (small Id). Yes, it fits without any clearance issues. PUSH'd RC works great on the Id.
    Speak of the devil! So you've never had any clearance problems? 7.85 x 2.25 I assume?

Amphibious Technologies
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperBri
    Speak of the devil! So you've never had any clearance problems? 7.85 x 2.25 I assume?
    No clearance with the 7.875 i2i RC. As you can see from the pic, there is ample clearance between piggyback and downtube.

suspension whore
    and how do you like it?
    want to compare to the romic?
    Intense 6.6..... Demo 9.

Mammoth MTN downhilling - check it out
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xb_m_pb0Ns0

Amphibious Technologies
    Quote Originally Posted by matthew
    and how do you like it?
    want to compare to the romic?
    I really liked the PUSH'd RC. I, however, replaced it with a PUSH'd RP3.

The PUSH'd RC is way better than the Romic. The Romic had too much platform damping, it spiked quite a bit, even after it was revalved for my weight.

The PUSH'd RC's digressive damping kept the rear tire/wheel "glued" to the ground resulting in increased control and traction. IMHO, it is the best coil shock currently available (will fit) for the Id.

Members who have read this thread: 0