mtbr member

... and if we just ... Convert your old Isis to 6 inch travel

Here's a little project for you mechanically inclined people. The goal is get six inches of travel out of your Isis frame. This took half a day and access to a machine shop. Sorry for the crap picture quality.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Rolling

Good stuff.

Cool to see some modding going on here on the Ellsworth Board. I guess a lot of us under lifetime warranties are afraid to touch our rigs.

Maybe since Ells now has a limited warranty, we will see more of this happening in the future too.

I designed a bracket similiar to that a few years ago. BTW, you need an anti-crush spacer in the spot where the old pivot was. Unless of course it's not shown in the pic. Just bolting it together like that is not secure and will also stress the bracket. Nicely done though.
    Last edited by lidarman; 10-13-2005 at 08:55 AM.

mtbr member

You are so right!

I saw the need for some kind of spacer when I tried to tighten up the plates - the sides of the original mounting bracket began to flex inward. Freaked me right out. I ended up cutting a cross section of a little kid's sized BMX handlebar (smaller diameter than standard) and wedged it in the gap.

UPL
    mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Uberclyde, nice job there. I've been thinking of doing the same to my '01, but I was looking at a differen't route, maybe you or someone else can tell me if it would work. Comparing the new Distance and Joker to my Isis, the frames appear to be the same, they just moved the mount/pivot point up the mounting brackets on the downtube, closer to the relief hole. Here's a shot I found demonstrating what I'm talking about...

http://forums.mtbr.com/attachment.ph...id=88060&stc=1

My thought was to just drill the appropriate hole further up to accomodate a longer shock. E's spec's say the Joker can be 5" or 7", and in the pic you can see the lower mounting holes for a shorter travel shock. So I guess my question is, why the brackets? Why not just position as in a joker? Or is there really a difference between the frames that I'm not finding? Again, nice job, just curious....

Rolling
    Quote Originally Posted by UPL
    Uberclyde, nice job there. I've been thinking of doing the same to my '01, but I was looking at a differen't route, maybe you or someone else can tell me if it would work. Comparing the new Distance and Joker to my Isis, the frames appear to be the same, they just moved the mount/pivot point up the mounting brackets on the downtube, closer to the relief hole. Here's a shot I found demonstrating what I'm talking about...

http://forums.mtbr.com/attachment.ph...id=88060&stc=1

My thought was to just drill the appropriate hole further up to accomodate a longer shock. E's spec's say the Joker can be 5" or 7", and in the pic you can see the lower mounting holes for a shorter travel shock. So I guess my question is, why the brackets? Why not just position as in a joker? Or is there really a difference between the frames that I'm not finding? Again, nice job, just curious....
    Possibly but

1. There is a tab on the Joker and not one on the Isis. The point directly behind that hole is too weak to support the shock on the Isis if you were to pop a hole there. Plus, I think there still would be interference of the shock body since there is no tab.
    2. Slighly lower down there is more metal, but the angle is awkward and will likely cause interference when you try to mount the shock. notice on the pix that there is no room to move it down.

mtbr member

Smile I think Lidarman nailed it

the 01 Isis just doesn't have the extra metal. By the way I sent photos of my mod to Ellsworth just for fun (I was already the second owner so warranty meant dookie anyway). They politely replied that my warranty meant dookie.

Time is not a road.
    Sweet mod, I love it.

Note to Ellsworth:

BRING BACK THE SINGLE PIVOTS!

No, that's not phonetic
    You probably went from a pretty straight rate to a falling rate due to the new shock location/orientation. Even though it is a single pivot, it matters whether the shock is mounted along the radius of the arc the swingarm follows, or if it sits somewhat tangential to it. You also seem to have gone from an air shock to a coil, and this would exacerbate the effect. It will be interesting to hear what the practical outcome is.

I have thought about making custom mount "chips" for bikes to be able to accommodate other shocks, but it was often changes to the linkage rates that made the experiment unappealing.
    My video techniques can be found in this thread.

mtbr member

In a perfect world

You are right Tcheezy, but as I am going through this mod to my Isis right now I notice that the original shock mounts for the 6.5 shock are mounted at a tangent to the arc. I am going to make a couple of "chips" and try a couple of different mounting positions for the shock. I am beginning to have doubts that this will be a beneficial modification. jim

Time is not a road.
    Well, the old Heckler was a falling rate and people didn't seem to mind it. I think it needs to have the shocked tuned to that type of suspension parameter. Perhaps you could send it to Push with the specs on whats been done and they can mod the shock to fit.

Members who have read this thread: 2