mtbr member
    Apr 2005

Confused....Truth, ID, Moment

I currenlty ride an 05 Truth...it is too small...I am 6ft with long arms and legs. it is a medium.....

I am buying a new frameset within the next week and frankly I am confused.....I ride the clock on just about every rided...however, I do not race, but do not like to be passed on up hill climbs and rarly am....

What bike would you all recommend...Large for sure: another Truth, A ID or the Moment.............?????

Components and shock are no issue, I am buying all new.

thx,
    R.

853+29+1x24=Fun
    Well, the Id is gone and replaced by the Epiphaney. Based on the way you describe your riding style it sounds like a another Truth would work or an Epiphaney. Others are sure to weigh in.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    If you don't race and what you're after is fun, then get the Moment, and if someone does pass you going uphill....there's the challenge to get even fitter.
    You can't make a racehorse out of a donkey, but you can make a fast donkey.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    how much more weight are we talking with the ID or moment...

and up hill pedaling with more travel..?

thx

Amphibious Technologies
    Quote Originally Posted by Trekster

thx
    The Id climbs great in its original (non-Cali) configuration. I run it in the California configuration and it did not climb as well. So the slacker HA on the Moment and Epiphany will make it slightly harder to climb than a truth or Id. So if you are into climbing and don't like to go really fast and down super steep technical sections then the Id would be a good bike for you. Are you only considering Ellsworth bikes or are you open to other brands?

Id is around 6 lbs

Moment around 8 lbs
    "The best you've ridden is the best you know" - Paul Thede, Race Tech

Rolling

thx
    My id climbs way more sluggishly than my truth ever did. 5.75" in the rear and 6" in the front does that! I can lock out my front now but it's still not as responsive as my Truth. Plus, I have big tires on it.

If climbing fast is the goal, A truth is better.

I Think my Id Frame weighs around 7.2 lbs with the coilover.

Quote Originally Posted by SCUBAPRO
    ...So if you are into climbing and don't like to go really fast and down super steep technical sections then the Id would be a good bike for you....
    I seem to do alright keeping up with my 25 year old buddy on his SC Bullit with a zoke 66 and my 25 year old buddy on a six pack running a fox 36. The id really isn't slowing me down on the down part of the ride.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    I think I have made up my mind.....TRUTH / LARGE / BLUE.

Thank you !! MUCH APPRECIATED...

and no / no other brands considered or desired....

Amphibious Technologies
    Quote Originally Posted by lidarman
    My id climbs way more sluggishly than my truth ever did. 5.75" in the rear and 6" in the front does that! I can lock out my front now but it's still not as responsive as my Truth. Plus, I have big tires on it.

If climbing fast is the goal, A truth is better.

I Think my Id Frame weighs around 7.2 lbs with the coilover.

I seem to do alright keeping up with my 25 year old buddy on his SC Bullit with a zoke 66 and my 25 year old buddy on a six pack running a fox 36. The id really isn't slowing me down on the down part of the ride.
    Yes, climbing will suffer a bit with a slacker HA (6" fork) and burlier tires. My Id is set-up light at 28 lbs with a TALAS RLC which I wind down on climbs. It's OK downhill on this set-up and of course if you set-it up with a 6" SC fork it sure can handle downhills like any other 6" travel bike.
    "The best you've ridden is the best you know" - Paul Thede, Race Tech

sock puppet

hmmm...

I think I have made up my mind.....TRUTH / LARGE / BLUE.

Thank you !! MUCH APPRECIATED...

and no / no other brands considered or desired....
    i think BLACK would fit your climbing skills better... it is simply faster...

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    hard to go with another color besides black, maybe I should simply get a Black main with Silver rear....FAAAAAAASSST colors...

wait a minute, how do you know my climbing skills....:-)...Lurking
    Hello from Colorful Colorado

sock puppet
    'nuff said...
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    oooohhhhhhh !!,
    you had to do that didn't ya.......DONE DEAL, ordered as of monday !

trail fairy
    Pity if I was you I would have gone for the Epiphany, I'm an ex racer myself I dont get it why people go for the Truth or any other 4inch less travel bike!

Weight is realitive!
    Climbing speed is subjective!
    Components make a hell of a difference!
    Feel often feels fast but is slower!

I race my ID, and in the 2in E2E mode is as good uphill and better in some cases, its fast fun and I wouldnt swap it for a Truth as I know I wouldn't be as fast for as long, plus the fun factor would be gone for me, I have a good time and can push it and still fly.

Its fitness that gets you uphill not the bike mostly, then it comes down to component choice, most configurations here can be misleading and unless others have tried different combinations its very subjective and certainley does not reflect the ability of the frames from this brand or others.

1: You have to understand your needs!
    2: Specc your frame to its intended use!
    If you want a to maximise your riding fun and pleasure the Truth is limited! Its a race bike IMO.

Most people should be on 5inches, as this is the most versatile frame and suspension level to cover a wide range of opitons without exceeding the limits of the frame!

Advanced riders wanting to do every thing need 2 or more frames unless they stick to the frames limits which is hard to do if ya have the skill to push it!

The Epiphany comes with the same rear shock as the Turth RP3 or Float!
    Specc strong but lighweight wheels and good hubs, tyre choice is also critical factor,
    and this baby will spew most bikes out if you can push its capabilites!

Marz Marathon race, Fox Float, Talas XXT, Recon as a fork it won't be much heavier.

Anyways my 2cents worth, everyone to there own.
    Just riding a muddy trail. . ..

MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

Leatt FAQs

MTB Coyote

I'm with Trailadvent

Unles you are a full on racer the Truth is just not as versatile to handle weekend trail duties. If you built the Epiphany up light it could still be raced in XC/Endurance events.
    The slight weight penalty and extra travel would not put you at any significant dis-advantage unless you really are an aspiring Elite racer.

The Epiphany would offer you a great ride to push your technical limits. It would give you that extra travel when hitting cool trails with rock gardens, gnarly descents etc. I have a Stumpy HT and have just won my choice of Ellsworth frame . I was looking at a lighter built Moment because the Truth was a little too racy for my intended purposes ( Id was no longer available). Someone suggested holding out for the Epiphany and I think that this is the one for me. Luckily Dirtworks (distributor here in Australia) were happy to accommodate me (It was actually Wayne from Dirtworks who suggested I check it out)

The new std in all round trail bikes/endurance weapons is 5" and this looks to be perfected in 2006.

sock puppet

5" of travel is...

is totally overblown in my opinion... are you old enough to remember times without suspension bikes???

there was MTB-ing at those times ass well, and some say, it was more fun and required more skills...

i am a lactic acid junkie and the Truth is serving all my needs on the trail...

Quote Originally Posted by greg.ag
    Unles you are a full on racer the Truth is just not as versatile to handle weekend trail duties. If you built the Epiphany up light it could still be raced in XC/Endurance events.
    The slight weight penalty and extra travel would not put you at any significant dis-advantage unless you really are an aspiring Elite racer.

The Epiphany would offer you a great ride to push your technical limits. It would give you that extra travel when hitting cool trails with rock gardens, gnarly descents etc. I have a Stumpy HT and have just won my choice of Ellsworth frame . I was looking at a lighter built Moment because the Truth was a little too racy for my intended purposes ( Id was no longer available). Someone suggested holding out for the Epiphany and I think that this is the one for me. Luckily Dirtworks (distributor here in Australia) were happy to accommodate me (It was actually Wayne from Dirtworks who suggested I check it out)

The new std in all round trail bikes/endurance weapons is 5" and this looks to be perfected in 2006.

MTB Coyote

Glad you're Happy with 4" !

There are worse things than having to choose between a Truth and an Epiphany ! The Truth has an outstanding pedigree so if you're digging it, that's cool! As for the emergence of longer travel / dual suspension bikes ... It's called progress!! bicycle manufacturers didn't do it back then because they were still figuring out how to make them pedal efficiently. Nowadays FS bikes are all about the type of riding you're into.

I can still remember when everyone was resisting front suspension forks as a passing fad.
    Some of my mates still ride thier rigids but they do admit to having very sore hands at the end of every ride.

On the other hand I occassionally do some pretty technical stuff with another mate who rides a dually Carbon GT-I drive and leaves me in the dirt on my HT.

I'm not knocking your choice ! I would so like to compliment my stable with 2 other bikes i.e the Epiphany and the Truth. I don't think I'll ever be needing a Chaos or a Moment though.

That's a sweet ride you got!

Last edited by greg.ag; 10-15-2005 at 07:17 AM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    My 2 cents...I have not ridden a truth, so I have no actual experience with it, but I think it might be a bit presumptuous to assume that the Truth is only good for racing...it does have 4 inches of travel and seems to be like a good, light weight XC bike with a great climbing platform. If thats he's after, then the Truth probably fits that bill the best.

On the other hand, personally I too would probably go for the epiphany as it seems to be a more versatile frame and will likely climb just fine.

fb

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Turner Flux !!!!!

Better geometry. Ellsworth pre-2006 models cut every head tube the same size. 4.75 Check out reviews. Get em before thier gone, horst link. The value will remain high due to the changes to rear on Turners.

Good Luck !!!

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    not much time to type, but man you really hit home.....I have other bikes I can use for light weight xc racer......

so, I ordered the NEW Epiphany in a 19" with the FOX RP3 and the FOX Tallas XTT fork...

Everything else will be FSA K-Force Carbon / Crossmax SL's / El Comino's / XTR Rapids's ..

I will post pics when it rips into the shop......

thanks for all the input...
    Out..:...

Quote Originally Posted by greg.ag
    There are worse things than having to choose between a Truth and an Epiphany ! The Truth has an outstanding pedigree so if you're digging it, that's cool! As for the emergence of longer travel / dual suspension bikes ... It's called progress!! bicycle manufacturers didn't do it back then because they were still figuring out how to make them pedal efficiently. Nowadays FS bikes are all about the type of riding you're into.

I can still remember when everyone was resisting front suspension forks as a passing fad.
    Some of my mates still ride thier rigids but they do admit to having very sore hands at the end of every ride.

On the other hand I occassionally do some pretty technical stuff with another mate who rides a dually Carbon GT-I drive and leaves me in the dirt on my HT.

I'm not knocking your choice ! I would so like to compliment my stable with 2 other bikes i.e the Epiphany and the Truth. I don't think I'll ever be needing a Chaos or a Moment though.

That's a sweet ride you got!

Last edited by Trekster; 10-17-2005 at 07:34 PM.

Members who have read this thread: 0