853+29+1x24=Fun

Can I race my Id

I think I might try racing this year. I have a pretty light build on my Id, just wondering if it's too heavy? I live in Virginia and will be racing on East Coast Style trails.

I think I might try the first race and see what happens. Maybe a light hardtail is in my future.

Elitest thrill junkie
    No, you can't race your Id.

But I can.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

853+29+1x24=Fun
    I don't think so. You wouldn't like the stand over clearance.

"Its All Good"
    Get amongst it, and go race your Id, we cannot decide for you....................
    The_Lecht_Rocks: whafe - cheeers - may i offer an official apology for the wagon wheeler "dis-belief"

Alright, let's ride!
    Are you going to be starting out in the beginner class? If so then definately race your Id. You are just there to have some fun. Believe it or not there will be a lot of racers there on hardtails that weigh more than your bike.

853+29+1x24=Fun
    Poorly phrased question I guess. I was looking for anybody that has raced their Id and how they felt about it.

Yeah beginner class. My goal is to just finish

"Its All Good"
    Kev, if indeed your goal is to finish, you will hum on your Id.

I put on skinnier tyres when racing, my Id is like a dragster with skinnies on. I notice going back to Minnions.

As LowCel mentions. there will be hardtails racing that willl feel like boat anchors compared to your Id

Best of luck
    The_Lecht_Rocks: whafe - cheeers - may i offer an official apology for the wagon wheeler "dis-belief"

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    I think you'll love your Id's suspension towards the end of the race when those bumps would be killing you on a hardtail.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

no problem

I run my Id in lots of XC (and endurance) races, with a 7.5" RP3 (California edition geometry), a TALAS fork set around 100mm, and sensible light parts (wheels/tires with stans, carbon stuff, 2x9, X.0 etc), probably a little under 27lbs. With this setup, I don't think I'm at much of a disadvantage vs the dedicated XC racer equipment. The equivalent ells Truth would only be about a pound or so lighter (lighter frame + fork), while a hardtail would be about 3-4 pounds lighter.

Since getting my Id, I tried racing my hardtail once (about 23lbs). Once. I ended up with a stiff neck for a week - not worth it. Probably the fork's fault though. The decision to ride a hardtail probably comes down to how bumpy your racetrack is, and if the fork on your hardtail is up to it (and if you like standing etc).

btw, I find the California edition geometry better than standard geo for XC racing. To match the lower end, I lower the fork about 10-15 lower (than I had it with a 7.785" AVA shock). Overall, the bike is lower to the ground, and cornering is easier. Occasionally, I have found that I am a little "behind" the bike (seat angle may be a little slack) on really steep climbs though.

trail fairy
    No probs Kev!

Whafe and I race ours for 12hr and 24hr racing no probs, as Whafe has said, slot some skinnies on there something with good cornering grip at the front and slick at the rear and shell haul, Id recomend a RP3 only for weight if ya don't have one already change yr stoke to 2.0inch leave the e2e, maybe change your stem for something a little flatter, slightly longer and you'll be hauling and still enjoy comfort.

This my my race setup, change my 70mm stem to 100mm, change me 2.2/2.3 tires to
    a 2.0rear/2.1 at the front.
    Tire choice is up to you and the conditions I guess but mainly I can get away with a heap on the ID cause traction is never my problem.

I use either a Maxis Ranchero 2.0 @ the rear, with stans with my new bontrager rim strips these haul ass! bad babies oh yeah no more rim strip probs.
    Or a Huchinson Python UST light 2.0.
    Front - Highroller exception series 2.1 cause it corners on rails and holds its line which is good for longer travel bikes with a slacker HA, or again the Python or Scorpion for the front! Scorpion is a dog on the rear! but still one of the best 2.0 cornering tires Ive ridden on!

Me personally I choose a cornering tire at the front over a lighter sometimes faster rolling tire! ya not fast if the front tire dosen't bite! IMO

Good luck and go race that puppy!
    Just riding a muddy trail. . ..

MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

Leatt FAQs

853+29+1x24=Fun
    Thanks for the opinions guys. I actually weighed the bike yesterday and it comes in at 27.5 lbs. I could probably go for some lighter tires like you guys suggest. A friend and I ran two laps at the trail I plan on doing my first race at. We did a pretty quick pace and I was pretty happy with how I felt. This trail has some pretty rough sections and I think a FS rig is the way to go. However, some races I plan on doing this summer are on a pretty smooth NORBA style trail.

Anyway, I've solved my dilemma this morning with this purchase off ebay.

Sorry for the non-ells pic. So now my stable is a little more complete. I was looking around for an Elightenment but this popped up on ebay for a great price and I couldn't pass it up. I've fallen in love with Klein bikes after getting a Quantum road bike a few months ago. So i guess the plan is to race the Id on the rough stuff and the Klein on the smooth stuff

Alright, let's ride!
    Congrats on the new hardtail. I've never owned a Klein but I have always admired them. Very nice bikes. So how are you going to build it up?

853+29+1x24=Fun
    Not sure yet but I want it to be light.

Time is not a road.
    Kleins are sweet. They have a rep for being very stiff hardtails, though, so you might consider tubeless tires/wheels to help take some of the edge off.

That in mind though, adding some stiff drivetrain components will transfer energy right to the back end. Should be real snappy accelerating! Good luck, we'll look for you in the mags...

853+29+1x24=Fun
    In the mag eh? Only if the have a Lanterne Rouge Section

Not a Barry supporter.
    Quote Originally Posted by kev0153
    I think I might try racing this year. I have a pretty light build on my Id, just wondering if it's too heavy? I live in Virginia and will be racing on East Coast Style trails.

I think I might try the first race and see what happens. Maybe a light hardtail is in my future.
    Heck yeah you can. I raced my Id on 2 of the 5 laps I did a few years back at a 24 Hr race. (I ran my lighter Sugar the other laps.) On the rougher stuff I smoked by people. On the hills I climbed passed them. On the flats I was about even. I didn't have it set up light at all as it was about 30 #'s but it was a blast to ride. Sadly, it cracked and was warrantied and I sold it. I do regret it as it was such a fun bike.

Now I have a superlight HT and my time lap time decreased 10 minutes. So I'd suggest exactly what you're thinking...the Id for the rough stuff and the HT for smoother stuff. (And if you're looking for a light fork, I have an extra Marathon laying around.)

And welcome to racing! Once you compete in one 24 Hr Race, you'll be hooked.
    Why would I need more than one gear?
    @A_SingleSpeeder
    EPA = crooks!

Members who have read this thread: 0