Thread: california ID

mtbr member
    Jan 2006

california ID

Can any cali ID riders tell me what the eye to eye and stroke is on your romic??

The Ancient One
    Quote Originally Posted by frizzle-fry
    Can any cali ID riders tell me what the eye to eye and stroke is on your romic??
    I don't have a Romic for mine, but a Cali. Id takes a 7.5" eye to eye and 2" stroke shock, by definition.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Just about all 7.5" eye to eye shocks have a 2.0" stroke. Fox DHX, Roics, Progressives, Fox RP3, Fox Floats and most Fox Vanilla RCs are like this. There are a few Avalanche with 2.25" strokes and a very rare Fox Vanilla RC with a 2.25" stroke out there.

The Ancient One
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucky7
    Just about all 7.5" eye to eye shocks have a 2.0" stroke. Fox DHX, Roics, Progressives, Fox RP3, Fox Floats and most Fox Vanilla RCs are like this. There are a few Avalanche with 2.25" strokes and a very rare Fox Vanilla RC with a 2.25" stroke out there.
    But on an Id, a 2.25" stroke with a 7.5 eye to eye would not work. The frame would make metal contact before bottoming.

You could get away with a 7.75 eye to eye and a 2.25 stroke. Avalanche makes it and I have thought about buying one.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve from JH
    But on an Id, a 2.25" stroke with a 7.5 eye to eye would not work. The frame would make metal contact before bottoming.

You could get away with a 7.75 eye to eye and a 2.25 stroke. Avalanche makes it and I have thought about buying one.
    I haven't tried this on my frame yet, but have you tried the 7.5x2.25 combo? I was thinking about doing an Avy in this set up, but if it won't work, you would save me a lot of headache. Where does it hit?

The Ancient One
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucky7
    I haven't tried this on my frame yet, but have you tried the 7.5x2.25 combo? I was thinking about doing an Avy in this set up, but if it won't work, you would save me a lot of headache. Where does it hit?
    I haven't tried it, but I'm just about positive that the rocker arm will contact the seat tube.

When you set up the Id as a California edition, you're already forcing the linkage to travel farther than what was originally intended. The bike was originally meant to have a 7.875" eye to eye shock with either 2 or 2.25" stroke. With the shorter shock and the 2" stroke, the bottom out position is 1/8" farther into the travel (measured at the shock). There's almost no room left for further travel.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Thanks Steve! I'll probably be checking it this week just out of curiosity because I'll probably just get a 2.0" stroke again.

Up & Down

All clear here...

I use a Talas rear shock where I can reduce the i2i by 1/2" from 7.875 to 7.375. So, y'all got me thinking. I took out my shock and bottomed the suspension so the bridge between the rockers hit the back of the ST. I measured the dist between shock mounts at 5.375".

At 5.5" between shock mount centers, there's about 1/8" clearance at the ST. So, a 7.5 x 2.25" would theoretically work on mine. There may be some small manufacturing differences between frames, so you'll want to check your frame.

As a side note, there is just a tiny corner between the ST and rocker bridge, at bottom out, to snake the front der housing thru. If it isn't routed exactly, you'll find your housing getting pinched.

The Ancient One

Recheck your math.

Quote Originally Posted by El Sol
    I use a Talas rear shock where I can reduce the i2i by 1/2" from 7.875 to 7.375. So, y'all got me thinking. I took out my shock and bottomed the suspension so the bridge between the rockers hit the back of the ST. I measured the dist between shock mounts at 5.375".

At 5.5" between shock mount centers, there's about 1/8" clearance at the ST. So, a 7.5 x 2.25" would theoretically work on mine. There may be some small manufacturing differences between frames, so you'll want to check your frame.

As a side note, there is just a tiny corner between the ST and rocker bridge, at bottom out, to snake the front der housing thru. If it isn't routed exactly, you'll find your housing getting pinched.
    7.5 - 5.375 = 2.125. So 2.125" would seem to be the maximum stroke possible with a 7.5" eye to eye. And that's leaving no leeway.

I had to fuss with the front derailer housing when I set up my bike to make sure it didn't get pinched.

Up & Down

Duh...oops.

Morning brainfart. You're correct.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Hey, we all make mistakes, but thanks for posting your findings, very helpful!

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

on my bike, the ABSOLUTE minimum bottom out eye-to-eye is 5.5"

I have a 7.5"x 2.0" RP3 on a small Id, and the top rocker is hitting the seatpost collar occasionally, on the biggest hits. I suspect a longer stroke shock (with same e-t-e), or shorter e-t-e shock (with same stroke) wouldn't last too long at all - before breaking the top rocker from a solid impact to the seatpost collar.

Members who have read this thread: 0