mtbr member
    Mar 2004

build advice for joker xc

Hi all. I bought a Joker XC 19". I ride single track technical very rooty trails. I'm in Florida so no climbing concerns. I'm 6ft and 195 and would consider myself an aggressive rider, but probably not doing more than 2-3ft jumps and that would be rare with these trails. Ride 3x per week.

I need suggestions for a complete build up. Especially with headset size and nothreads/threads, stem size (100mm, 110mm etc.). I want a riser handlebar.
    What size Romic would fit this frame. Keep in mind this is a 4" travel in the rear.

Parts reasonbly priced or on sale. I'm on a budget. Thanks for the help.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Rabid
    Hi all. I bought a Joker XC 19". I ride single track technical very rooty trails. I'm in Florida so no climbing concerns. I'm 6ft and 195 and would consider myself an aggressive rider, but probably not doing more than 2-3ft jumps and that would be rare with these trails. Ride 3x per week.

I need suggestions for a complete build up. Especially with headset size and nothreads/threads, stem size (100mm, 110mm etc.). I want a riser handlebar.
    What size Romic would fit this frame. Keep in mind this is a 4" travel in the rear.

I'm having one put together as we speak. I got this 17" frame to compliment my medium size 2004 Truth and wanted it more for agressive trail riding with a fair amount of climbing. I'm 5'9" and a feathery 150lbs. using Thomson seatpost and 90mm 15* stem with a 1.5" riser bar, Chris King 1 1/8" threadless headset, Marzz Z1 FR forks w/ 130mm travel and replaced the stock Manitou QR with a Romic 6.5x1.5 w/ 400# ti springs. Cranks and BB are Truvativ Hussefelt isis, Crank Brothers Mallet C pedals, Sram XO rear, Shimano XT front der. and X7 shifters, Hayes HFX-9 disc brakes, Mavic 321 rims w/ Hadley hubs. I'll have it done by this weekend and will post an update once I get a chance to give it a thorough testing. Most of these parts are either slightly used or unused bought through classified ads so the total cost was much less than all new parts. Good luck and have fun.

Time is not a road.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rabid

I can vouch for the Marz Z1...got a deal on mine and it's sweet. I'm 5'7", 170. I have my bike ('03 Isis) outfitted for more aggressive trail riding; 2.5 tires, Fox Vanilla in the rear, thomson, crank bros, mavic, haye...I just put on some Sram shifters/deraillure combo and if you can afford it, it's really the best. Even the X7 seven stuff is great. I think the stem I have is 100mm (thomson) with Maxm DH bar.

You can find good deals all over the web, if you look hard enough. I got my fork on MTBR classifieds for $425 ('04 SL model), got my saddle for 1/2 price, stem I got for $20 at the Velo swap in Denver, all of it was on sale, if you research enough. The only thing I paid full price for was the frame! But they rarely discount those anyway...

Good luck and have fun!