mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Biggest rotor on a Moment...

Is anyone aware of any problems running 200mm rotors on a Moment? Is there any rub against chainstays, for instance?

Cheers

Brass Nipples!
    Quote Originally Posted by SixZeroSixOne
    Is anyone aware of any problems running 200mm rotors on a Moment? Is there any rub against chainstays, for instance?

Cheers
    Looking back at the setup database, SSINGA was running 8 inches front and back on his Moment. I have an 8" rotor in front and a 6" in the back. I think more than 7 inches of rear rotor is overkill, but 8" front 7" rear would be well matched. I'd actually probably be happy with 7" front and 6" rear.

However, with my 6 inch back rotor I have never wished for more brake back there. Traction limits the amount of stopping power at the rear wheel more than rotor size in my opinion.

My riding weight is about 205 pounds, FWIW.
    {Principal Skinner} Hmm. Whoever did this is in very deep trouble.
    {Martin} And a sloppy speller too. The preferred spelling of 'wiener' is w - i - e - n - e - r, although 'e - i' is an acceptable ethnic variant.

Time is not a road.
    I agree, 160 is big enough. I have a buddy that went with a 203 on the back and skidded all the way down the mountain. It's a very dicey situation because one you start skidding, you're out of control.

As far as the limits of the frame, I don't know. I would think that 203mm on the back should be reserved for DH bikes only.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    I currently have 7" Juicy rotor on the back of my Moment and that posed no problem.

Funny I have a 6" in the front right now. Well, that's from my original Avid Mech. I took the used rotor and pads from the Mech to go with the new Juicy parts up front so I didn't have to do the break in and that worked pretty good. In the back I have all the new parts from the 7" Juicy package. This way I only have to break in one wheel at a time.

I probably will go down to 6" in the back after I break in the front with 7".

It's kinda absurd but when I called Zokes on what is the biggest rotor I can use on my AM1 they told me 6"

not so super...
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob the Wheelbuilder
    Looking back at the setup database, SSINGA was running 8 inches front and back on his Moment..... I think more than 7 inches of rear rotor is overkill, but 8" front 7" rear would be well matched. .
    Yes, I had an 8 & 8 (203mm) setup on the Moment and still run it on my Pack. Being the poseur that I am requires overkill on all component specs. Do you need 8" rotors?? Maybe not, but I like them.
    Nothing to see here.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I run 8" front and rear. I'm 230 in full gear and I used to over heat my 6"ers on loooong fast fire road decents. The 8 in the rear never gets too hot and always modulates well when my weight is shifted back. Skidding the tire is no different between a 6 and an 8...if you cannot modulte a 8" properly, it's not the rotors fault.

"Its All Good"
    I always appreciate Ssinga's honesty, we all love the asthetics, if not we ten to be talking BS, normally anyways.
    The_Lecht_Rocks: whafe - cheeers - may i offer an official apology for the wagon wheeler "dis-belief"

Members who have read this thread: 0