Why aren't you riding????

Avalanche, El Jefe?????????

I've got an 05 dare frame and want to go to a pure DH race shock.
    Has anyone run a BIG shock on their Dare?

40 something views and not one opinion????????

Jii
    mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    A friend of mine had an 03 (?) Dare, and he had an Avalanche on it. (Don't know the model, but it was one of those that have a remote reservoir..) He doesn't have it anymore, it's in Sweden now I think...I have no idea what he thought about it, but it probably was really nice, as the Avys usually are. I found a PIC of it, but that's all the help I can give, sorry..

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I was thinkin of putin an avy on mine it has to be a custom build for the dare they told me at avalanche I've ridden the el jeffe and avalanche the avy is hands down a better choice and much more $$. I dont mind the dhx 5.0 im running 500 lb ti spring and only blew it once so far but def a good shock

yeah, i'm sure the dhx is a great shock, but it is still a small, low volume set-up. I have no complaints on my pushed RC, but it fades after serious pounding. The word on the street is ROCO!

thanks for the input.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by offtheedge
    The word on the street is ROCO!
    Tax return time!
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Yes I'll be testing the rocco this weekend its not as big as the other 2 but ill tell ya how it is

Quote Originally Posted by bamxbam
    Yes I'll be testing the rocco this weekend its not as big as the other 2 but ill tell ya how it is
    testing on your dare i hope? looking forward to the report. It looks a little bigger than the usual suspects. I hope the oil volume is higher.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    yes on the dare at bootleg im leaving in a couple hrs ill post sat with full report

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by offtheedge
    Has anyone run a BIG shock on their Dare?
    Ells recommends an 8.5 I2I, which will net you a tad over 8" of travel. They said I could put an 8.75, which I did, that will get you close to 9". The only catch is that your MUST route your brake line and derailuer cable along the side of the top tube, at the top of the shock. If you don't, the upper shock mount will crush them. BTW, I use 4mm shift housing, so I can route underneath with getting it damaged.

I would go with Avy DHS. It costs a little more. It also has better tech help/CS IMHO.

Members who have read this thread: 0