travel by stoat!!!

Anyone tried a 66SL on a Moment?

Looking for a 150 fork, 20mm axle. Obvious contenders are Z1 ETA Light or Fox 36 (but silly money). Over on the Turner board people seem to be rating the 66SL over the Z1 light - because it's almost the same weight, travel adjustable (for the ride, not during the ride), and much stiffer - plus its loads cheaper than the Fox.
    My son has a 66SL on a Coiler, and despite the Coiler its very very smooth.

Anyone tried it?
    TEAM POTH (Push On The Hills)

not so super...
    Quote Originally Posted by eatingchandeliers
    Looking for a 150 fork, 20mm axle. Obvious contenders are Z1 ETA Light or Fox 36 (but silly money). Over on the Turner board people seem to be rating the 66SL over the Z1 light - because it's almost the same weight, travel adjustable (for the ride, not during the ride), and much stiffer - plus its loads cheaper than the Fox.
    My son has a 66SL on a Coiler, and despite the Coiler its very very smooth.

Anyone tried it?
    Not on the Moment but it works well on my 6 pack.

IMO the Moment needs a taller fork, like the Zocchi's, for the geometry to be right. I had a Vanilla on mine for a while before switching to the ZAM1. With the Zocchi at 145mm of travel it had great handling for both climbing and decending.

A 66SL set at 145-150mm would be perfect on the Moment.
    Nothing to see here.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by SSINGA
    Not on the Moment but it works well on my 6 pack.

IMO the Moment needs a taller fork, like the Zocchi's, for the geometry to be right. I had a Vanilla on mine for a while before switching to the ZAM1. With the Zocchi at 145mm of travel it had great handling for both climbing and decending.

A 66SL set at 145-150mm would be perfect on the Moment.
    Interesting...while unloading my Moment and my friend's Nomad at the trailhead over the weekend, we noticed that standing side-by-side the rake of the Moment was noticeably slacker than the Nomad. This surprised me because the Nomad is famous for its slack 68-degree HA and the Moment is 69 degrees.

The Moment has an '05 AM1 while the Nomad has the Fox 36 TALAS which are both rated at 150mm. I measured the exposed stanchions on both fork and was surprised to find almost 6.25" of exposed stanchion on the AM1 while the 36 has only about 5.75". Apparently, the Moment became more slack than the Nomad due to difference in AC height.

I can't believe for a $1000 fork Fox only gives you 5.75" My friend said that's a pretty well known fact.

I was starting to think the AM1 is too tall and throwing the Moment's geometry off. I do feel the steering to be a bit "floppy" when I turn sharp on slow, steep singletrack ascends.

Time is not a road.
    The 66 seems like SO MUCH FORK...but it sure is sweet! The fork is 30mm lower than last year, but the A to C height is not listed for either fork on the website so it's hard to compare them. Only SSINGA can help us there!

ARCH/SLIDERS New Magnesium 66 Monolite
    30mm Shorter

I have tried to run the fork at 150mm (AM 1), but for where I ride, it's just not doing it for me. I have to climb short, steep sections, so I need the front end lower. I also find that it rails corners and "slaloms" better in a lower setting. I have yet to ride a long, sustained DH.

Honestly, I'd like to be able to ride this bike as a 6" travel trail bike, but perhaps the Marzocchi is not allowing it because of it's tall A to C slakening the HA too much. Until I buy a 20mm front hub, my options are limited. The Pike seems like it would be the Motts, but I love Marzocchi's products.

not so super...
    Quote Originally Posted by chad1433
    The 66 seems like SO MUCH FORK...but it sure is sweet! The fork is 30mm lower than last year, but the A to C height is not listed for either fork on the website so it's hard to compare them. Only SSINGA can help us there!

It is on the Marzocchi site if you look hard enough.

Check here for 2006 info and here for 2005

The change is actually 36.8mm lower according to their listed a-2-c
    Nothing to see here.

Time is not a road.
    Quote Originally Posted by SSINGA
    It is on the Marzocchi site if you look hard enough.

Check here for 2006 info and here for 2005

The change is actually 36.8mm lower according to their listed a-2-c
    Thanks, that's handy. It appears that the A to C of the 66 SL in 150mm mode is less than the AM 1 in 150mm mode by 8mm or so. That would equate to about 1/3 of a degree of HA change between the 66SL and AM 1 at the same length. But the SL can also be shortened to 130mm, correct? If so, then it could become even shorter than the AM 1 in 130mm mode. This seems positive to me as the nearly infinite travel adjust between 130-170mm would really allow for some fine tuning.

The 2005 and 2006 AM 1s have different A to C measurements, the 2006 having 3mm less length at full travel...curious.
    Last edited by chad1433; 02-14-2006 at 11:05 AM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Chad, use your ETA, you paid for it!!! It makes a difference on the hills.

Hey Ssinga, what you think of trimming off the slider a bit on the AM1??? I have to find a better ruler but when I was on the trail the other day I measured the expose stanchion at 6.25" and the fork only gets 150mm travel. The rods on the cartrige probably are what controls the height though, it's probably a hare-brain idea

Time is not a road.
    Quote Originally Posted by ahimanic
    Chad, use your ETA, you paid for it!!! It makes a difference on the hills.
    I do - but I need to add oil. The ETA is not holding very well. It's going in for its first service soon so I'll have it adjusted. I'm looking forward to this fork breaking in. It feels better after every ride. It also feels better the faster you go. It's not so smooth yet on the slow stuff.

Time is not a road.
    Quote Originally Posted by eatingchandeliers
    My Moment currently has an 03 Psylo - so around 115mm max. I'm running a 5deg thomson stem, with Lo-rise Easton carbon monkeylites. So on a medium showing ~ 9" of post to the underside of the rails you can imagine its running pretty XC! Its sounds as though your set-ups are much more upright - any comments?
    I have the Maxm MX-6 DH carbon bars - not sure of the rise, maybe 1.5-2" with a Titec 0 degree stem/100mm. The seat is level with the bars, so also a XC type set up. My fork is set up at about 135mm of travel right now.
    Attached Images Attached Images

travel by stoat!!!

What bars are you guys running?

My Moment currently has an 03 Psylo - so around 115mm max. I'm running a 5deg thomson stem, with Lo-rise Easton carbon monkeylites. So on a medium showing ~ 9" of post to the underside of the rails you can imagine its running pretty XC! Its sounds as though your set-ups are much more upright - any comments?
    TEAM POTH (Push On The Hills)

Members who have read this thread: 0