MountainGoat aka OldGoat

New question here. Any words of wisdom?

My epiphany is now built and ready for shipment from out of state to me is CA. I have never purchased a bike from the internet, so I have a question.

Should I be aware/cautious of anything like shipping damage?
    Have any of you gentlemen made any special requests from the shop prior to shipment?

Side note: My shop weighted the small frame with an RP3 @ 5 lb 9 oz. Yeah Baby!!!

Time is not a road.
    Like with anything that's shipped of value, you might opt for insurance, if this is possible. But, when you consider that every bike shop in the country gets bikes shipped to them from somewhere, you should be ok. As long as the shop you're purchasing from knows how to pack a bike properly...

MountainGoat aka OldGoat
    Quote Originally Posted by chad1433
    Like with anything that's shipped of value, you might opt for insurance, if this is possible. But, when you consider that every bike shop in the country gets bikes shipped to them from somewhere, you should be ok. As long as the shop you're purchasing from knows how to pack a bike properly...
    Thanks chad. I will ask about the insurance. Take a look at this photo, does that look like an RP3 or a Float R?
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member

No good Bummer

Quote Originally Posted by pachaven
    Thanks chad. I will ask about the insurance. Take a look at this photo, does that look like an RP3 or a Float R?
    It appears that your shop has mounted the shock upside-down & backwards!! That means even if it is an RP3, you won't be able to reach the lever to switch it while riding.

You'll definately want to have them flip it before they ship it to you b/c they'll need to use a press to take out and switch the metal "peices" that connect the shock to the frame.

I guess this is their way of punishing you for winning a free Epi!
    Hydrate or Die Trying

MountainGoat aka OldGoat
    Quote Originally Posted by PAINpusher
    It appears that your shop has mounted the shock upside-down & backwards!! That means even if it is an RP3, you won't be able to reach the lever to switch it while riding.

You'll definately want to have them flip it before they ship it to you b/c they'll need to use a press to take out and switch the metal "peices" that connect the shock to the frame.

I guess this is their way of punishing you for winning a free Epi!
    Thanks PAINpusher for the information on the pressing that needs to take place for the shock to mount correctly. And I wish I was getting the Epiphany for free. It has cost me more than I had anticipated. My wife has purchased a new Friesian (a horse) that will cost me just under 12k. (She say this is a GREAT price) so I feel better about spending the money. This free Epiphany is going to cost just over $16,000 when all is said and done. But WTF I am getting a new bike and my wife will be so busy with her new toy, I will have plenty of time to ride my new toy. LIFE IS GRAND!!!

mtbr member
    Thanks PAINpusher for the information on the pressing that needs to take place for the shock to mount correctly. And I wish I was getting the Epiphany for free. It has cost me more than I had anticipated. My wife has purchased a new Friesian (a horse) that will cost me just under 12k. (She say this is a GREAT price) so I feel better about spending the money. This free Epiphany is going to cost just over $16,000 when all is said and done. But WTF I am getting a new bike and my wife will be so busy with her new toy, I will have plenty of time to ride my new toy. LIFE IS GRAND!!!
    ...Now let go of your ankles and slowly breath out...Dude, sorry - I got you mixed up with someone else on this board who won an Epi in some contest. The good news is that we're just entering prime riding season, I hope you enjoy the new ride as much as I do!
    Hydrate or Die Trying

mtbr member
    The more I look at your shock, the more I am getting concerned - The Fox label on your shock is actualy not upside down, which means that not only is it not the intended upside down mounted Fox shock that comes with the Epi, but you have to also question if you are getting the correctly tuned RP3 for the Epi. RP3s come in 3 versions of propedal tuned action, which is denoted by an image of 3 boxes on the shoch (The shock for the Epi should have the image with the middle propedal box marked in red). I would send this pic to Ellsworth and ask for thier opinion...infact, pecusick (Paul of Ellsworth) is ussually browsing this websight, address a new thread to him and ask.

MAKE SURE SOMEONE IS NOT GIVING YOU AN '05 RP3 - The '06s have been improved.
    Last edited by PAINpusher; 02-01-2006 at 08:30 PM.
    Hydrate or Die Trying

mtbr member
    Here's a pic of a epiphany with a rp3

Time is not a road.
    Curious indeed! What's up with that?

MountainGoat aka OldGoat
    An update. I called the shop and asked them if the manufacturer had delivered the frame with the RP3 that I ordered. They looked while I was on the phone and acted surprised that it was the wrong shock. It is very possible that the Float R would have been shipped to me and I would have had to deal with it at that time . As a result of the “mistake” I was studying the photo carefully and it appears that from the wheel has a Schrader valve and or tube. I ordered the CrossMax SL tubeless and will ask about this the next time I speak to the shop.
    I think what I will do for peace of mind, is I will ask them to confirm in writing that they have installed all of my requested items and also the model years of those products.
    As far as addressing this issue with the representatives of Ellsworth, I will hold that as an option as needed. Thank you for the suggestions they are very helpful.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    The front wheel does appear to have a fat stem that looks like Schrader. The wheel looks to be Crossmax XL though. The wheel can be converted into a tubed wheel, just make sure the front tire is tubeless and that the UST air valve stem is included since it'll cost you around $15 to get one. Also ask for the proprietary Mavic spoke wrench that comes with the wheels.

Man, you better get a high resolution picture so you can really scrutinize EVERYTHING.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    i dunno bout you guys...but i thought ICT bikes don't use rp3? not needed since no bob... pls correct me if wrong, else i'd appreciate one for my 05 truth over the stock float R

Time is not a road.
    Well, two things about the RP3 make it better than the stock Float - the larger canister makes for a more linear feel and it's lighter. Also, the micro-circuit gives it better small bump compliance. Pro Pedal is just another feature...I don't use mine much on my DHX.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by chad1433
    Well, two things about the RP3 make it better than the stock Float - the larger canister makes for a more linear feel and it's lighter. Also, the micro-circuit gives it better small bump compliance. Pro Pedal is just another feature...I don't use mine much on my DHX.
    well i thought the pro pedal adjusts pedalling efficiency.. since ICT is '100% efficient' , why the need? that's what i thought since my truth came with a custom tuned float R instead of my preferred RP3.

anyhow i saw that rp3 is an option for Epis, i'm like baffled.....watever. if it works for TE, it'll work for me....lol

Time is not a road.
    It's obvioulsy an economic choice. The Float is less expensive than an RP3. Both shocks, indeed all Fox shocks have some sort of Pro Pedal. I don't think you can get them without it.

The tuned Float seems like it has LESS Pro Pedal than a stock Float, so yes, they are giving the nod to ICT being more efficient.

The RP3 does not have any different PP than a Float per se, it just has a tuneable circuit within it's realm of damping. I imagine that most people who have the RP3 would not use the stiffest setting anyway. Am I right, PainP? That said, the same things I said about the RP3 vs. the Float are true. It's also more expensive...

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    i see... though for the premium on the frame price alone, we should be getting a custom tuned RP3. heck i'll take a lighter RP3 chasis, levers or not...lol

Bike to the Bone...
    Quote Originally Posted by sparst
    well i thought the pro pedal adjusts pedalling efficiency.. since ICT is '100% efficient' , why the need? that's what i thought since my truth came with a custom tuned float R instead of my preferred RP3.

anyhow i saw that rp3 is an option for Epis, i'm like baffled.....watever. if it works for TE, it'll work for me....lol

Well... I don't want to comment on the 100% efficient... but as far as I know, the difference between the float R and RP3 is that the RP3 has 3 different propedal settings, and the R works like the RP3 on the middle setting.... but I can be wrong...

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    The Floats come mounted the opposite of the RP3. My LBS has both frames and they explained to me that, they are correctly mounted, So they should be opposite.

right behind ya
    Quote Originally Posted by rzozaya1969
    Well... I don't want to comment on the 100% efficient... but as far as I know, the difference between the float R and RP3 is that the RP3 has 3 different propedal settings, and the R works like the RP3 on the middle setting.... but I can be wrong...
    You're correct RP3 has 3 setting. Cost diff is ~ US$50. Rode both a jumped on the RP3 as you can certainly tell a difference among settings. I beleive both shocks are tuned at factory so be advised to get the one you are seeking. Mine is medium and I love it.

As far as mounting my RP3 is shown in attached pic. Am told shock works the same in both directions but this way rocker is not is way of valve and adjustments (including lever and knob)
    hard line, hard line, hard line after hard line

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Aside from the placement of the adjustment knobs, etc., I always thought having the piston mounted on top has the advantage of being further from harms way since it's higher from the ground and bouncing debris.

BTW, Ellsworth's Float R is custom tuned which means it has less Propedal than the standard Float R to suit Ellsworth's suspension design and makes the ride a bit plusher.

MTB Monkey
    I have a 2001 Truth and used to run a Float, but was never really happy because of the steep ramp up (newer Floats probably have a larger chamber, RP3's definitely do). I recently upgraded to an RP3 with medium propedal. While the ICT design may be 100% efficient with respect to chain torque, it does still bob from weight shifts from my ogre like mashing of the pedals. The max RP3 setting really clamps down, almost like a lock out and is great for road climbs. The medium setting is nice for general riding. It does help damp out movement from standing climbing. And the min setting does feel more plush going down. I think its worth the extra $.

Oh, and they will only mount upside down because the air valve will hit the rocker, at least on my old Truth.

- J

mtbr member
    Feb 2006

RP3 vs. Float R

An update. I called the shop and asked them if the manufacturer had delivered the frame with the RP3 that I ordered. They looked while I was on the phone and acted surprised that it was the wrong shock. It is very possible that the Float R would have been shipped to me and I would have had to deal with it at that time . As a result of the “mistake” I was studying the photo carefully and it appears that from the wheel has a Schrader valve and or tube. I ordered the CrossMax SL tubeless and will ask about this the next time I speak to the shop.
    I think what I will do for peace of mind, is I will ask them to confirm in writing that they have installed all of my requested items and also the model years of those products.
    As far as addressing this issue with the representatives of Ellsworth, I will hold that as an option as needed. Thank you for the suggestions they are very helpful.

Here's the scoop. They originally offered the RP3 as an option but it came stock with the Float R. They now are not even selling the frame with the RP3 as an option. I learned the hard way. I wanted the RP3 and my shop tried to correct the "misunderstanding" but Ellsworth replied with a big fat no, we don't carry them at all anymore because people were just leaving the pro pedal adjustment open. So ride the Float R, it's not upside down and rides fantastic.

Members who have read this thread: 0