mtbr member

8" rotors on an epiphany?

I've had mixed feed back on putting 8" rotors on an epiphany frame. I know the Ellsworth didn't recomend them for the ID.

Rides like wrecking ball
    Quote Originally Posted by natemirus
    I've had mixed feed back on putting 8" rotors on an epiphany frame. I know the Ellsworth didn't recomend them for the ID.
    ...Well then they sure as hell won't recommend (and WARRANTY) them on an Epi. Are you nuts? What the hell kind of XC do you ride?!

Boy I really dread thinking about the potential for guys to get hurt riding Epi's way past their intended use (XC). I hope none of the injuries are serious.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hesh to Steel
    With people liking mongoose and trek bikes now, what's next in this crazy world? People disliking the bottlerocket?!

Brass Nipples!
    I think if you need that much brake, you'll be better off with a Moment.
    {Principal Skinner} Hmm. Whoever did this is in very deep trouble.
    {Martin} And a sloppy speller too. The preferred spelling of 'wiener' is w - i - e - n - e - r, although 'e - i' is an acceptable ethnic variant.

Amphibious Technologies
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob the Wheelbuilder
    I think if you need that much brake, you'll be better off with a Moment.
    Actually, the Rogue may be more appropriate.
    "The best you've ridden is the best you know" - Paul Thede, Race Tech

Brass Nipples!

Sure...

Quote Originally Posted by SCUBAPRO
    Actually, the Rogue may be more appropriate.
    If the question were what is the burliest available 6 inch travel ICT Ellsworth, but my Moment has a front 8 inch rotor and I don't think it's too much for the bike. I've got a 6 inch in the back and it works fine, but a 7 inch in the back might balance the front a little better.

I think of the Epiphany as a long legged Truth, the Moment as a do it all 6 inch travel bike and the Rogue primarily as a freerider. Tell me what your intended job is and I'll comment on what I think the appropriate tool is for that job.

I do think if a person is thinking Epiphany and 8 inch rotors (especially in back) they're a little confused about the Epiphany's intended application.
    {Principal Skinner} Hmm. Whoever did this is in very deep trouble.
    {Martin} And a sloppy speller too. The preferred spelling of 'wiener' is w - i - e - n - e - r, although 'e - i' is an acceptable ethnic variant.

Amphibious Technologies
    Bob,

I agree!

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008

I wouldn't with Ellsworth's history of broken frames

LMFAO.

Jaybo

Elitest thrill junkie
    Percusick directly compared it with a 5 spot.

You should put any components and parts that you'd put on a 5 spot on the epiphany, and you should also use it like a 5 spot.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

Amphibious Technologies
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem
    Percusick directly compared it with a 5 spot.

You should put any components and parts that you'd put on a 5 spot on the epiphany, and you should also use it like a 5 spot.
    5Spot?! The geometry of the Epiphany is closer to the Id than the Spot. 70 degree HA, 73.5 SA 14+" BB....How can it be like a 5Spot?

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by SCUBAPRO
    How can it be like a 5Spot?
    Because an Ellsworth employee said so.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

Amphibious Technologies
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem
    Because an Ellsworth employee said so.
    Precisely!

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    You guys are not quite correct. Pcusick never made a direct comparison between the Epiphany and the Spot...at least not in the sense of their intended purpose and ride. He merely responded to rroeder when the question was raised why the Epiphany should cost more than the Spot.

Time is not a road.
    Well, it's always better to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Honestly, I think the 203mm I ran on my Isis was overkill. In some instances, it slowed me down too much, like going thru rock gardens and such. Only on long DH runs did I wish for a bigger rotor. But now, on my Moment, it's almost a requisite because of its extra weight. The Epiphany is not designed to be a heavy bike so I can see where you'd need the larger rotor, unless you yourself are of some extra weight. Then, I'd recommend the Moment. And the bigger rotors.

mtbr member

official word from ellsworth

Ellsworth doesn't recomend anything larger than a 180 (7") rotor on the epiphany, anything larger they recomend moving up to the moment. Which is what i kinda figured.

Time is not a road.
    180 should be plenty. Just slap on some Avid Juicy's and go!

Rides like wrecking ball
    Quote Originally Posted by chad1433
    Honestly, I think the 203mm I ran on my Isis was overkill. In some instances, it slowed me down too much, like going thru rock gardens and such. Only on long DH runs did I wish for a bigger rotor. But now, on my Moment, it's almost a requisite because of its extra weight.
    Extra weight? Like 5 pounds, heck maybe 10? C'mon. Brakes stop the bike AND the rider. For me gaining 5 pounds in bike weight (I'm 210, bike 35) would be a 2% increase in total weight. Not going to change my braking requirements.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hesh to Steel
    With people liking mongoose and trek bikes now, what's next in this crazy world? People disliking the bottlerocket?!

Time is not a road.
    F=m*a, F=m*a my friend...unless of course, you're not going to ride your bike. Then it may be a 2% change. But add in forces and it's significant.

Members who have read this thread: 0