mtbr member

From 2.1 to 2.35 - Worth it?

Switching out from my 2.1 Navegals to 2.35 Navigals was a bit more extreme than I had anticipated. About a half pound (200+/- grams) of rotating weight was added in the exchange and I am bummed by just how evident this is when I try to sprint now - I had no idea it would feel soo much slower! I plan to stick it out for a while though, I think the payoffs are huge. The larger tires offer me newfound confidence for very technical riding, especially including big rocks, ledges, dropoffs, and on the roots. Plus, it really feels more "resistant" to flats.

I'm out of shape right now, so I am really hoping that after a few rides I won't notice the extra weight & that my bike will feel snappy again. Has anyone else had these reservations when they 1st bumped up to 2.35??
    Hydrate or Die Trying

Are you talking to me?

Everyone does.

You get used to a certain wheel weight, and anything heavier/slower is easily felt. THe bump from 2.35 to 2.5 is even more extreme.

Hang in there. YOu already listed the advantages of the 2.35's. When you go on club rides where you want to be a little snappier, put on the 2.1's.
    gfy

"Its All Good"
    I feel your pain, I run 2.35's most often, change down to 2.1's for racing. The Id feels like a bullet, love the exceleration, in fact all round it rocks.

I then chnage back up to the 2.35's, I feel exactly like yourself then. It passes. As Damion mentioned, you know the plus's.

Go hard, think of what it will feel like when you go back to the 2.1's for a race or something, you will be blistering quick
    The_Lecht_Rocks: whafe - cheeers - may i offer an official apology for the wagon wheeler "dis-belief"

Time is not a road.
    DTC or Sticky rubber?

I like the 2.1s on the Moment because of the added beef of that bike, but I'm thinking about going 2.35s. They make sense going down, but going up they're a drag...

I like the 2.1 DTCs, I've found no real performance loss for my type of riding. I don't know, it's a toss up.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by chad1433
    DTC or Sticky rubber?

I like the 2.1s on the Moment because of the added beef of that bike, but I'm thinking about going 2.35s. They make sense going down, but going up they're a drag...

I like the 2.1 DTCs, I've found no real performance loss for my type of riding. I don't know, it's a toss up.
    I went from 2.1 Stick-E to 2.35 Stick-E. I have two rides on them now and they still make me feel "slow like a turtle", but they have never ending traction and really make you feel like you can pull off anyting in the way of drops, rock gaps, offcamber rocks, roots, soft corners, etc...

My current mantra is that i just need to get in a couple of more rides and I won't feel the difference anymore. I really hope this is the case b/c it really does transform the bike. But, as of today....whew, they're kicking my ass!

So are you suggesting that if I switch over to the DTC version, the bike will feel that much snappier again? Please let me know if it is so, and I will try it out!!! I am worried that I'll loose all the benefits of the sticky traction if I switch though.

With all this said, Chadd, you've just gotta experiment with the 2.35s, your bike will kick ass!
    Hydrate or Die Trying

Time is not a road.
    The dual tread tires make a WORLD of difference in straight line performance, yet they don't loose traction like many single compound, non-sticky tires because of the sticky side knobs. They don't have the "Spiderman" feel on solid rock, so you do sacrafice some traction for inline speed. But anything off camber and during turns, there's plenty of grip.

I think you'd like the mix of compounds. And, they'll last a bit longer than the true sticky rubber tires.

El Malo
    I've been riding since '01 and it didn't take me long to go from the 1.95 I started with and move up to the 2.25 max tyre clearance I had on my Scott hardtail.
    I did some racing and while I noticed they added a bit of weight, the payoff with stability and confidence was worthy enough to warrant, no doubt.
    I proved this theory again later when I jumped from size 2.35's up to a 2.5rear and 2.6front on my Heckler. By then, my style of riding had changed dramatically and given the fact that I became disappointed with racing due to the lack of technical challenges I still like to get out and push hard pace and disregard the heavy bike up the tech trails cos I know the suffering pays off on all-out descents and can only make one stronger.
    "... the only thing we have to fear is fear itself - "

mtbr member
    Chad - U're the man!

I think you've solved my dilema, I am very hesitant about the DTC compound (it didn't do much for me with my old 1.95 dtc Navegal) but you sparked my interest.

I checked out the Kenda web stie and the DTC 2.35 navegals are the same weight as the 2.1 Stick-Es I peviously loved so much - HOLY $HIT!!!! So this means I will immediately drop the 200 grams and should have a bike that feels fast & stable.

Is it too good to be true??

Well, since I'm so out of shape, I'll go ahead and just train on my Stick-Es untill they wear out and then I'll probably give the DTCs a shot. Now I'm pumped!!
    Hydrate or Die Trying

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Last year I installed a Nevagal 2.5 front and 2.35 rear to replace Conti Vertical 2.3 which are more like a 2.1. WOW, what a difference. Is it slower, yes, do I care, not at all. The traction, confidence and fun you get out of it is much more then the loss of speed.

By the way, I run mine with Stan's goop on Xmax XL wheels so I save a good 100 to 200g of weight right there in each wheel depending on the tubes you use. It works great...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BanzaiRider
    Last year I installed a Nevagal 2.5 front and 2.35 rear to replace Conti Vertical 2.3 which are more like a 2.1. WOW, what a difference. Is it slower, yes, do I care, not at all. The traction, confidence and fun you get out of it is much more then the loss of speed.

By the way, I run mine with Stan's goop on Xmax XL wheels so I save a good 100 to 200g of weight right there in each wheel depending on the tubes you use. It works great...
    Banzai - are you referring to the Stick-Es or DTCs??
    Hydrate or Die Trying

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by PAINpusher
    Banzai - are you referring to the Stick-Es or DTCs??
    I have the Stick-Es front and rear but the rear is almost completely worn out and I'll replace it with a 2.35 DTC this year. the Stick-E is great and I'll keep it in front but for the rear it is almost going down as fast as a burning candle! Great tires by the way, we have difficult conditions where I ride and the Nevagal are definitely the best, all type of terrain tire I've ever been riding (others I tried include various Contis, Hutchinson, Schwalbe, WTB and Michelin).

aka baycat
    questions is where to find a steady or readily avaible supply of Nevegal tires?!?!

and will a 2.35 fit on an ID

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by baycat
    questions is where to find a steady or readily avaible supply of Nevegal tires?!?!

and will a 2.35 fit on an ID
    If you've replaced your rear end with the asymetrical 2006 rear, you'll have no issues, 2.35s have plenty of clearance on my Epi. As for the stock ID, I have no clue.

I have no trouble finding stick-e navegals from the major mailorder stores...I've ordered 3 different sets and have never had any trouble. Conversely, I was just looking on line today for the 2.35 DTCs and couldn't find any but everyone still had the stick-E 2.35s for sale.
    Hydrate or Die Trying

aka baycat
    my experience has been very point and shoot with finding either the dtcs or stickes.

Sorry new to this ellsworth stuff Can you contact Ells directly and purchase a 06 rear for an 03?

mtbr member
    my experience has been very point and shoot with finding either the dtcs or stickes.

Sorry new to this ellsworth stuff Can you contact Ells directly and purchase a 06 rear for an 03?
    Yeah, do a search for broken IDs, those who had broken their ID's were getting offered up the ASYM rear end...at least that's what I think I read.
    Hydrate or Die Trying

El Malo
    Good question, Baycat... my job2 is at an REI shop and there are a few of us looking to replenish but have found thta it's hitNmiss with re-stock... there's a huge demand for these tyres.

Just as mentioned earlier, depending on the terrain and application, the StickE's are killer but will wear quicker and drag a bit more than a regular DTC.
    Seems like most of you are more on the XC and racing but up here in the PacNorth I've riding conditions have me sold on a StickE in front and a Highroller on the rear for a bit less taxing on the roll resistance while XC'ing.
    "... the only thing we have to fear is fear itself - "

aka baycat
    Armando completely agree, I went to an REI just to look. Only had WTB tires which I really like, all the Nevegals Stick Es were on those Novara King B. Might have to steal them off those.

Rolling

Quote Originally Posted by PAINpusher
    Yeah, do a search for broken IDs, those who had broken their ID's were getting offered up the ASYM rear end...at least that's what I think I read.
    I'm probably not the one to give a difinitive answer, but I was offered an Asym based on several circumstances that might not be the norm. Someone else here got a stay after I did and it was the old type.

You can buy a stay from ells. I am still waiting to hear about the modified asym to have large clearance for an Id. I have the intitial run version on my Id which gives a lot of clearance for the Moment (longer wheelbase) but is marginal for the Id. Ryan is suppose to set me up with version 2.

FWIW, I have a nevegal 2.35 on my id with the asym version 1 stay and it's very marginal. I posted pix of the clearance.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Arm@ndo
    Good question, Baycat... my job2 is at an REI shop and there are a few of us looking to replenish but have found thta it's hitNmiss with re-stock... there's a huge demand for these tyres.
    Take a look at the Syncros tyre range. I have a feeling that they are made by Kenda and use all of the same (sticky) compounds.

'snitch.

Time is not a road.
    I've always gotten my tires here:

www.mtnhighcyclery.com

Never had a problem with stock. He carries Syncros, Kenda and Schwalbe tires regularly, but I think he can get just about anything. I've gotten Tiogas from him (don't ever buy these tires unless you get the Factory models).

The latest tire spotted in the shop is this:

Yeah, it's that big...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Members who have read this thread: 0