mtbr member
    Feb 2004

06 colors and advice

Hello,
    I'm thinking of getting a moment frame, but can't find anything on the ellsworth website showing all the colors for 06. The bike pictures don't really show up well. Does anyone have some sheets showing good pictures of the different color schemes?

Also, I currently have an intense 5.5 which is too twitchy for me. I had a truth in the past and liked it except for it was a little to flexy and I wanted more travel. I have narrowed it down to a moment and a 6-pack. The front fork will be a Van 36. Most of my riding is All mountain stuff XC. During the summers, we go do longer rides with long downhill trails, which is what I really like. I'm looking for a bike that will still let me do the technical XC and climb fairly well but will allow me to have more fun on the downhill stuff and occassional small jumps/drops. Someone at the bike shop has a moment and has ridden the 6-pack and said the moment is going to be more in line with what I want the bike to do (the 6-pack is more downhill oriented and the moment is a little more XC oriented - when compared to each other). This makes sense to me, comparing the two on paper. Does anyone else agree with this. I was going to go with the 6-pack, due to the price (less), but if the moment will suit my riding better, I'll see what I can do to come up with the extra cash. Thanks for any info!!

Time is not a road.
    Regarding the colors, they will be the same as 2005 - Pewter, Black and a new Blue, presumably similar to the new Epiphany colors (if you search the Ells boards, you'll find some info on the new annodizing colors). They will not have the shot-peened finish in '06.

As for riding, I'd agree that the Moment is less DH/FR than the 6 Pack as the Rogue fills the gap between the Moment and the Dare. But generally, the bikes are very similar and the 6 Pack can be built up as a trail bike at 30lbs or less (depending on your budget!). An '06 Moment would be better with the 36 Van as the '05 has a 69 degree HA built around a 130mm fork. The '06 will have a 69 degree HA built around a 36. The '05 may be too slack for that fork at 160mm of travel (roughly 68-67.5 degrees depending on A to C length). Those numbers would be more similar to the 6 Pack.

I find my Moment to be a "trail ripper". The extra weight is something I'm getting used to, but it climbs well w/o losing traction. It's stable and solid. So far, it's unaffected by anything I've throw its way. Jumps are easy to do, drops go smooth, it's maneuverable and fast. I feel confident that I could build it more "DH" oriented and do some shuttle runs in the summer (which I hope to do this year).

I also think that Ellsworth bikes are a bit more stylish than Turner bikes, which I find a bit bland. To some it's about function, to some about flash, too. The Ellsworth does both.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by chad1433; 12-28-2005 at 09:41 AM.

not so super...
    6Pack Vs. Moment

I disagree that the Pack is more DH oriented but I do think that it provides a better handling ride in the DH sections. The Moment wins on weight for climbing but I feel that the Turner has slightly better or more balanced geometry overall. These impressions are based on the 2004 Moment I owned vs. the 2005 6 Pack I now ride.

Both are very nice bikes and in the end I would choose based on fit.
    Nothing to see here.

Time is not a road.
    Quote Originally Posted by SSINGA
    6Pack Vs. Moment

I disagree that the Pack is more DH oriented but I do think that it provides a better handling ride in the DH sections. The Moment wins on weight for climbing but I feel that the Turner has slightly better or more balanced geometry overall. These impressions are based on the 2004 Moment I owned vs. the 2005 6 Pack I now ride.
    It seems though that the geo. of the Pack is better suited for downhill stability. And, it's designed with a ISCG mount, another nod to the DH crowd. It seems that "down" was more of a consideration in the design of this bike than "up", where it seems the Moment makes compromises in the "down" to allow it to climb better. Two solutions to the same problem, I suppose.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim in WA
    Hello,
    I'm thinking of getting a moment frame, but can't find anything on the ellsworth website showing all the colors for 06. The bike pictures don't really show up well. Does anyone have some sheets showing good pictures of the different color schemes?

Also, I currently have an intense 5.5 which is too twitchy for me. I had a truth in the past and liked it except for it was a little to flexy and I wanted more travel. I have narrowed it down to a moment and a 6-pack. The front fork will be a Van 36. Most of my riding is All mountain stuff XC. During the summers, we go do longer rides with long downhill trails, which is what I really like. I'm looking for a bike that will still let me do the technical XC and climb fairly well but will allow me to have more fun on the downhill stuff and occassional small jumps/drops. Someone at the bike shop has a moment and has ridden the 6-pack and said the moment is going to be more in line with what I want the bike to do (the 6-pack is more downhill oriented and the moment is a little more XC oriented - when compared to each other). This makes sense to me, comparing the two on paper. Does anyone else agree with this. I was going to go with the 6-pack, due to the price (less), but if the moment will suit my riding better, I'll see what I can do to come up with the extra cash. Thanks for any info!!

I'm the guy you talked to at DHZ. If you want to throw a leg over the Moment, let me know and we can work something out. I can also bring my friend that owns the 6-Pack. We talked about it at length, but I stand by my previous comments. They are both very fine bikes, but for the type of trails your ride, I think the Moment is closer to what you're looking for.

People have mentioned it before, but Turner's tend to be heavier than Ellsworth's. That isn't a bad thing, it's just different. I think that Ellsworth tries to make the lightest frame for the respective travel. As long as you understand the limitations of the build, you are fine. If I were a heavier rider, doing more aggressive things than my 48 year old body will allow, I probably would have gotten a Turner, but I like long travel that is still as light as possible.

I don't think you can go wrong with either.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I appreciate your input yesterday. I'm leaning toward the moment, due to the fact it appears to be slightly more tuned for all mountain/xc and per our conversation. Do you or anyone know the frame weight of the moment compared to the 6-pack. You mentioned lighter, but I would like to know how much lighter as I'm 190 pounds when on the bike and I don't want to press the limits of the frame.
    Thanks

mtbr member
    Dec 2005

colors

This is the blue fade

Time is not a road.
    That appears to be a fade to black?

I wouldn't worry about 190 lbs stressing either frame!

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    I appreciate your input yesterday. I'm leaning toward the moment, due to the fact it appears to be slightly more tuned for all mountain/xc and per our conversation. Do you or anyone know the frame weight of the moment compared to the 6-pack. You mentioned lighter, but I would like to know how much lighter as I'm 190 pounds when on the bike and I don't want to press the limits of the frame.
    Thanks
    I'm about 190 with Camelback, etc. That is well within reason for the Moment. What I was referring to was the guy who is 220 complaining that he broke a Truth on a "small" drop. The Moment was built as a trail bike. As long as you're not doing 10 foot to flat drops, you should be fine. My medium Moment was right at 8 pounds on the scale at DHZ. I think Ellsworth states 8.05 pounds or something like that for a medium. The 6-Pack is more like 8.5 pounds. A half pound of aluminum equates to a fair amount of added strength. That is why I feel the Turner is built more for abusive riding.

Think about your 5.5. Nobody complains about breaking that frame. People have complained about bearings and some older frames had issues with the pivot bolts, but the frame itself is pretty damn strong for "reasonable" riding. Scott put a DHX coil on his large 5.5 and the frame weight is about the same as my medium Moment. Typically there is about a half pound difference in weight between sizes. His complete bike with a Fox 36 Van weighs about 31.5 pounds as does my Moment. What that tells me is that comparing apples to apples, the Moment frame is slightly heavier than the a comparably equiped 5.5 and is slightly lighter than the equivilant Turner.

Again, depending on the trails, and I ride the same ones you do, the Moment would be a great choice.

Fit is the last component. The Ellsworth's have a long top tube compared to the Turner. A medium Ellsworth may be too small, but a large is really big. Last night I swapped out the 90mm Thomson for a 70mm. I thought it might be too short, but just goofing around the neighborhood it feels good. Since you're three inches taller than me, a medium with a 100mm stem might work unless you have a long inseam. The large has a 24.25 top tube versus the 23.5 of the medium. Your large Intense 5.5 has a 24 inch top tube. The Turner is comparable to the Intense in size. Do the math.

not so super...
    Thanks
    Moment - Small 2004Frame, seat collar, DHX w/ 600lb spring = 7.95lbs

6 Pack - small 2005 frame, seat collar, DHX w/ 600lb spring, CK steelset = 8.65lbs
    Last edited by SSINGA; 12-29-2005 at 07:40 AM.
    Nothing to see here.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by WaState

Fit is the last component. The Ellsworth's have a long top tube compared to the Turner. A medium Ellsworth may be too small, but a large is really big. Last night I swapped out the 90mm Thomson for a 70mm. I thought it might be too short, but just goofing around the neighborhood it feels good. Since you're three inches taller than me, a medium with a 100mm stem might work unless you have a long inseam. The large has a 24.25 top tube versus the 23.5 of the medium. Your large Intense 5.5 has a 24 inch top tube. The Turner is comparable to the Intense in size. Do the math.
    Well, the large 6 pack has a top tube of 24.3", so it seems that ellsworth's have short top tubes compared to turner.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

Elitest thrill junkie
    [QUOTE=SSINGA]Moment - Small 2004Frame, seat collar, DHX w/ 600lb spring = 7.95lbs

[color=#333333][font=Arial]6 Pack - small 2005 frame, seat collar, DHX w/ 600lb spring = My medium pack weighed around 8.5lbs with a 600lb spring on the DHX coil. Definitely wasn't more than 8.5.

Pretty much all the people weighing their Moments quoted the weight at 8.0-8.1lbs, go back through the archives and check it out.

Around half a pound difference is realistically what it is.

I know were're splitting hairs here, but to balance this I have seen plenty of weights that were slightly more in favor of the "half a pound or less" difference argument.

In any case, they are very similer bikes, the turner has a bit more meat, but in the big picture this is not a huge difference. Put the exact same parts on it, and it's only going to be about .5lb heavier, so 30lbs vs a 30.5lb bike. It seems that the moment buyers usually build up their bikes lighter, while the 6pack buyers usually build their bikes up with heavier equipment. There's no reason why you can't put the same parts on either bike though, well except that the intended usage scope of the moment is a little smaller, but again, it's a lot more similer than it is different.
    Last edited by Jayem; 12-28-2005 at 06:25 PM.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

Members who have read this thread: 0