aka baycat

'03 Id Issues and impressions?

Buddy of mine just picked up an '03 Ells Id, great orange color complete with xt, nixon fork, components. Having no prior knowledge of the bike and not getting the search function to work in my favor.

Any issues with the '03 frame? Places it cracks, etc?

Rear shock is a 5th element, good or bad? And what is a good UGI rear shock?

What is anyones impressions of the '03 frame, bike was supposedly built up late '04.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by baycat
    Any issues with the '03 frame? Places it cracks, etc?
    The chain stays are known to crack. Up toward the pivot. Do a search on this forum and you should find some pics and discussions regarding this.

The triangle is fairly solid, for me anyway. For a couple of others, that has not been the case. There is a picture or two of some fairly devistating breaks along the seat tube.

For me, except for the CS, the Id has held up well to a lot of abuse.

As for rear shocks, I prefer the Romic on this frame. Once Romic got the bugs out, my shock has shown to be a good trail bike shock. No first hand with the 5th Element, but it should perform well, between rebuilds .

Hope that helps.

aka baycat
    Is this a common problem, or just a break that occurs under abuse of the bike and is no different if I owned a santa cruz, giant, iron horse, spec. etc?

And for 2nd hand frames I know warranty voids, is there a crash replacement program?

Thanks V!

mtbr member
    Is this a common problem, or just a break that occurs under abuse of the bike and is no different if I owned a santa cruz, giant, iron horse, spec. etc?

And for 2nd hand frames I know warranty voids, is there a crash replacement program?

Thanks V!
    I speak to the triangle break, but the CS problem, as I understand has appeared on some lightly ridden Ids. Your milage (or your friends may vary.)

As for crash replacement program, the original owner can get discounts (I think 50% off) of the price of a replacement part. My understanding that this ONLY applies to the orginal owner. Your friend can buy the part, but at full price.

As far as breakage on other brands, they all break. And just like Ells, a heavily ridden frame may stand the test of time while a lessor used one breaks. Go figure

aka baycat
    So I take it you own or owned an ID, still happy with it and do you like it for XC/trail riding?

banned
    Mar 2005
    i'm happy with my '04...i'm 220lb, keep both wheels on the ground but ride roots and rock trails (tricks are for kids)...so far, so good

strickly XC/trail riding

mtbr member
    So I take it you own or owned an ID, still happy with it and do you like it for XC/trail riding?
    Yes, still own one. I'm doing more FR/DH and less trail riding, but I still love it as a trail bike. It bugs a lot of people, but I like the BB height. Good and high. Even after 2 years, I still get that "oh ^&*#$" feeling, when I think that I am about to tag a large rock, but the with bike just clears it.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    I love my Id, mostly do trailriding on it. *knock* on wood that I haven't broken anything (that I know of). Keep an eye on that chainstay where it gets thin by the BB. I hear the Fox RP3 works very well for the rear of the bike. I run a Fox Vanilla RC in 7.5x2 and couldn't be happier (I like the lower BB and slacker angles). Just my .02

Members who have read this thread: 0