Zero-Tolerance Policy (REVISED)- Mtbr.com
    poser Administrator

Zero-Tolerance Policy (REVISED)

This forum is suffering from a proliferation of reported posts due to incessant in fighting. I am putting into place a zero tolerance policy until you all get your problems worked out.

If there is harassment, e-fighting, argumentative behavior, etc, or any other transgression of the guidelines (and if you are unclear as to what that entails here they are: Guidelinea) the first transgression will be a 10 day timeout, the second will be outright banning and IP blocking. There will be no warnings PM-ed or emailed to you. This will be the only one posted.

In order to decrease your chance of being flagged, time outed, or banned, let's do the following:
    1. Not respond in kind to flaming post.
    2. Not point out who started it first because if you continue in kind you will be flagged.
    3. Add anyone user that gets you roiled up to your ignore list. (if you don't know about that figure it out and use it).
    4. Report posts only, do not respond back in kind.
    5. Report private/personal messages that cross the line if needed but do not respond back.

edit: 6. Do not spend your time pointing out how someone else is being transgressed by other users. If they feel slighted they can report it themselves. This forum needs less police and more basic civility.

This will be in place until I stop receiving report posts that number in the teens multiple times a day for this forum.
    Last edited by rockcrusher; 08-17-2011 at 08:44 PM. Reason: Added another point
    MTBR Posting Guidelines
    calories>electrons

mtbr member
    I thought Canadians were polite.

poser Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by ChainChain View Post

Ditto but I guess it is only those from the west. Probably just people from Saskatchewan (although I am a little biased on that fact having lived there for half my life).
    MTBR Posting Guidelines
    calories>electrons

bi-winning
    Quote Originally Posted by rockcrusher View Post
    Ditto but I guess it is only those from the west. Probably just people from Saskatchewan (although I am a little biased on that fact having lived there for half my life).
    Are you seriously making conclusions about a population based on a few roudy mountain bike riders in an Internet forum?
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    We are quite polite - no one's been challenged to a duel and shot. At least not yet.

X-Ray Guy
    oh how ironic that violates one of the guidelines you posted about

1.The message insults or degrades another member of the community

gobsmacked Moderator
    pretty sure he's being facetious.

sock puppet
    Quote Originally Posted by girlonbike View Post
    10 days time out, to be consistent and save face?

Naah. Just kidding.

Evil Jr.
    Gee, take your Mom out to dinner one night and all kinds of stuff goes down!

Now we have a whole Sword of Damocles thing going on with 10-day time-outs dangling above our heads. Who knew the internets were such serious business (although I admit I was glad to see the guidelines don't say anything about off-topic digressions or I'd be saying so long for ten days almost immediately! ).

I keep it simple: I don't post anything here I wouldn't say to someone in person. If that earns me a time-out, so be it - I'll still have a clear conscience.
    Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

bi-winning
    Quote Originally Posted by girlonbike View Post
    Well, I like to ask for clarifications before I accuse or form opinions. No moderators post here regularly, so I don't know their personalities. Usually I they just lock threads without saying a word.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Glad to see the law being laid down. For too long this forum has been unfriendly to a lot of people with differing opinions that have just given up and left or had to go through unpleasant bullying.

Good to see everybody can post now without the fear of being cyber bullied for a simple opinion or correction that leads to mindless back and forth and personal attacks.

Thank you MTBR

All my faucets is Moen.
    I for one am a big fan of cyber bullying. Fun to read over a cup of coffee in the morning. I'm going to miss it. Besides, it's only an internet forum.

Can we have just one thread where leg shaving lycra lovers can argue with baggie short, running shoe wearing dirt jumpers? Just one?

humber river advocate
    Quote Originally Posted by BrokenAnimator View Post
    Glad to see the law being laid down. For too long this forum has been unfriendly to a lot of people with differing opinions that have just given up and left or had to go through unpleasant bullying.

Good to see everybody can post now without the fear of being cyber bullied for a simple opinion or correction that leads to mindless back and forth and personal attacks.

Thank you MTBR

good post brokenanimator, i think this forum will be a better place and more welcoming to the diverse riding community.
    broadcasting from
    "the vinyl basement"

build trail!

bi-winning
    Quote Originally Posted by thedumbopinion View Post
    I for one am a big fan of cyber bullying. Fun to read over a cup of coffee in the morning. I'm going to miss it. Besides, it's only an internet forum.

Can we have just one thread where leg shaving lycra lovers can argue with baggie short, running shoe wearing dirt jumpers? Just one?
    I'd give you some + rep but,

"You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to thedumbopinion again."

If you take away the bickering, there is really not that much going on around here on a daily basis.

9 lives
    This forum is suffering from a proliferation of reported posts due to incessant in fighting. I am putting into place a zero tolerance policy until you all get your problems worked out.

If there is harassment, e-fighting, argumentative behavior, etc, or any other transgression of the guidelines (and if you are unclear as to what that entails here they are: Guidelinea) the first transgression will be a 10 day timeout, the second will be outright banning and IP blocking. There will be no warnings PM-ed or emailed to you. This will be the only one posted.

In order to decrease your chance of being flagged, time outed, or banned, let's do the following:
    1. Not respond in kind to flaming post.
    2. Not point out who started it first because if you continue in kind you will be flagged.
    3. Add anyone user that gets you roiled up to your ignore list. (if you don't know about that figure it out and use it).
    4. Report posts only, do not respond back in kind.
    5. Report private/personal messages that cross the line if needed but do not respond back.

This will be in place until I stop receiving report posts that number in the teens multiple times a day for this forum.
    Thank you for stepping in, identifying the issues and implementing a behavioural guideline where the expectation is a culture of respect.

Up, Up, and Away!
    Quote Originally Posted by rkj__ View Post
    I'd give you some + rep but,

"You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to thedumbopinion again."

If you take away the bickering, there is really not that much going on around here on a daily basis.
    I'll do it on your behalf then.

Cheers

bi-winning
    Quote Originally Posted by SuprGrovr View Post
    I'll do it on your behalf then.

Cheers
    You have zero rep power. lol

Seriously though, some of the banter was entertaining, and several who participated in it had pretty thick skin. Unfortunately though, some people were getting offended and / or feeling bullied, and some members were being driven away. Thus, I can understand the approach the moderators are deciding to take.

However, I do hope that a decrease in mud slinging leads to an increase in quality content, not just a dramatic decrease in new posts.

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by rkj__ View Post
    EEEEwwwwwwwwwwwww....

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclelicious View Post
    Thank you for stepping in, identifying the issues and implementing a behavioural guideline where the expectation is a culture of respect.
    Though we all really have to keep in mind that these are really just words on a screen. Way to easy for people to read something, get riled up because it's not their view, get madder because others don't follow these views, and then complain.

Remember people these are words on a screen. Unless the person is tight in front of you, you really have no clue about their intent.

Dont' worry Singlesprocket... you provide me way to much entertainment value to ban. Now Circlip fellow....

sock puppet
    doubt this will change anything... same stakeholders will continue to cry foul no matter what. others will continue to poke fun, just with less intensity... some will exercise weird passive aggressive behaviour without real cause...

this forum would really benefit from having mod(s) that really understand it's fabric... i only hope that now we will have more attention from some mods and that they will get more familiar with what is going on here...

i would agree with thedumbopinion and others that expressed similar views... some people should grow some thicker skin and join the fun. i believe we have at least one that has seen the light...

i miss nogearshere - his wittiness was refreshing. apparently he doesn't like nanny state. who knows how many other quality posters we lost along the same lines...

just another phase in evolution of this forum...

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    I am the ugly Canadian.

bi-winning
    Quote Originally Posted by Enduramil View Post
    I am the ugly Canadian.
    Put that bag back over your head!

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    On a serious tone. And this has been mentioned before.

The whole anonymous rep thing feeds this. Not much different then what Queen's does... gives the athlete's an anonymous form to evaluate their coaches. Problem is this allows athletes to do and say whatever they want without being held accountable for their words and thoughts. Guarant flippinbg Tee that if when rep is posted it had our forum handles attached there would be a bit more thought about what is said.

sock puppet
    Feeds what?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by aerius View Post
    We are quite polite - no one's been challenged to a duel and shot. At least not yet.
    come at me bro. jane and finch at dawn
    "Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of a bike ride." - John F. Kennedy

Setup:
    11' Giant XTC 2 29er

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by osokolo View Post
    Feeds what?
    The ability to leave rep hate messages.

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Jawz View Post
    oh how ironic that violates one of the guidelines you posted about

1.The message insults or degrades another member of the community
    <iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/TL01SReeOqE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    doubt this will change anything... same stakeholders will continue to cry foul no matter what. others will continue to poke fun, just with less intensity... some will exercise weird passive aggressive behaviour without real cause...

this forum would really benefit from having mod(s) that really understand it's fabric... i only hope that now we will have more attention from some mods and that they will get more familiar with what is going on here...

i would agree with thedumbopinion and others that expressed similar views... some people should grow some thicker skin and join the fun. i believe we have at least one that has seen the light...

i miss nogearshere - his wittiness was refreshing. apparently he doesn't like nanny state. who knows how many other quality posters we lost along the same lines...

just another phase in evolution of this forum...
    Nobody is buying this, and it doesn't take knowing "the fabric" to know they are being abusive to others and just being all around jerks. Any decent person that was brought up right knows how people should act and it's not because you are on the internet it gives you a pass to just start baiting people and do what you want, if you can't treat people with common decency and respect then you have issues, and should deal with them else where.

If all the people you call "the fabric" never came back to this forum again, it would be a better place as it's not the people with all the high post counts that are giving the quality information for events and other valuable information.

Essentially what you are saying is you want a free pass to do whatever you want because you think you run this forum and taunt the moderators by saying "this won't change anything" because you have the most freetime to post over and over and filibusterer threads, but it's EXACTLY people like you that are the reasons why there are moderators, so forums don't turn into a playground where it just becomes mindless back and forth.

The kids on a playground don't like that there are rules either, but when they grow up they either accept the laws or go to jail. Laws of the forum and laws of society for that matter are for the benefit of EVERYONE, not just one group that thinks they can do whatever they want because it's all in "fun".

sock puppet
    rep is not the issue - the issue are PM messages that are flying to the mods when someone gets "hurt" or "misunderstood" and calls it "bullying" or what not.

Example:

Certain poster rides Albion Hills and describes it as a "boring trail system without any climbing" which later on gets labeled as a "kiddie pool". Few others get defensive because Albion Hills is a venue for two large 24 hour races (one of which is the largest in North America) and 4 months of Tuesday Night Races - which include all levels of riders, from beginners to elites, and lots of work has been put in Albion Hills by local conservation authority as well as Chico Racing - who is promoting the sport of MTB in Ontario. This certain poster feels bullied and his quality of life changes due to this reaction on the Internet Forum. He accepted and continued to use the term "Albiotards" to describe those that have positive feelings about Albion Hills trail.

Few threads later, a poster or two suggest that they can ride certain technical rocky climb without any issues and that there are no 2' rocks on the O-Cup course at Kelso. The previous poster who bashed Albion Hills trails is now defensive about Kelso, calling it a "low life" to underestimate Kelso, as there are 2' rocks elsewhere on the trail...

360 degree circle closes. PMs are flying back and forth. Mods are in WTF mode, as the Eastern Canadian Forum was pretty quiet for a while - as previous issues have been worked out to a tolerable degree. We now have a new Crusader who took upon himself to protect the rest of 5 posters who feel "bullied" by the great majority of posters here.

The irony in all this is that most of the posts that were labeled as "bullyisms" were actually funny. Most internet users can accept it and fire a half serious fun back at the originator, and move on or keep having "fun". I guess, some can not do it.

So do we all come to this dry level to accommodate a few, or what else... I guess it depends on who you ask...

This is, of course, my opinion. As much as it was my opinion that Albion Hills was a great trail system for what it is. I am not a bully if I have an opinion and if I stick with it. Goes the other way around as well.

I am glad that it appears now we may have a mod or two that will spend a bit more time on the forum and understand it... It is INTERNET and we should not lose the sight of that fact...

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Example:

Certain poster rides Albion Hills and describes it as a "boring trail system without any climbing"
    All the above post shows is a perfect example of someone spending too much time on the internet, actually stalking people, holding grudges and targeting certain members and not being able to move on, if you spent a little more time not making it about you and getting away from your computer you might understand.

Maybe you will just have to accept that is the opinion of some people and no matter how much bullying and filibustering you do to try and force your opinion about it, you aren't going to change anyone's mind. If you have the opposite opinion then fine, but adding in insults like "ignorant" and "your probably don't even own a bike" is just stupid and uncalled for and the only person you can change is you.

My post about Albion was my first in years, and was an honest observation. If you disagree fine, but you cross a line personally attacking people and if you don't understand this, you are going to have a problem with people who know it's wrong.

Also this is not an OCUP and Albion forum, but that is what is dominated here. It's an Eastern Canada forum and should be more diverse, but because of "the fabric" filibusterer things not many people any other places frequent here, and that is a shame AND I CAN SEE WHY as they get poked at and baited just posting here.

My favorite posts are SingleSprocket's Pics and vids threads and BlackDogCanoe's picture threads giving such great inspiration for riding new places around Canada, not reading about how much lotion a certain user orders off the internet.

I can only hope more people from Newfoundland, Quebec etc... can join in and start contributing now that the atmosphere is not a playground but more about sharing and a love for mountain biking and not make it all about one person or their riding club.

poser Administrator
    You guys are seriously going to have an argument in the thread I posted saying please let's refrain from off topic arguments?
    MTBR Posting Guidelines
    calories>electrons

mtbr member
    Nobody is buying this, and it doesn't take knowing "the fabric" to know they are being abusive to others and just being all around jerks. Any decent person that was brought up right knows how people should act and it's not because you are on the internet it gives you a pass to just start baiting people and do what you want, if you can't treat people with common decency and respect then you have issues, and should deal with them else where.

If all the people you call "the fabric" never came back to this forum again, it would be a better place as it's not the people with all the high post counts that are giving the quality information for events and other valuable information.

Essentially what you are saying is you want a free pass to do whatever you want because you think you run this forum and taunt the moderators by saying "this won't change anything" because you have the most freetime to post over and over and filibusterer threads, but it's EXACTLY people like you that are the reasons why there are moderators, so forums don't turn into a playground where it just becomes mindless back and forth.

The kids on a playground don't like that there are rules either, but when they grow up they either accept the laws or go to jail. Laws of the forum and laws of society for that matter are for the benefit of EVERYONE, not just one group that thinks they can do whatever they want because it's all in "fun".
    Ummm, I buy it, and I have been on this forum for a good 4-5 years now I think. Am I nobody?

I know SS and Oggie personally and have ridden with both. If you think that everything you have just said about Oggie in no way applies to SS then you probably have an underlying bias for some reason. If you think that SS posting a picture of somebody with a high seat crashing as an argument that low seat heights are necessary for tech riding isn't fallacious and disrespectful and baiting the majority of this forum, and that any contrary responses qualify as bullying, then I would like to know what is acceptable back and forth? When SS responds to 'filibuster' attempts in his own threads at a 1:1 ratio how is he not guilty of exactly what you are talking about?

If everyone on this forum who refuse to interact with the 'fabric' socially (I invited SS for a ride, he not so politely declined) and instead choose to constantly victimize and martyr themselves would just disappear, I argue that this forum would also be a better place. But just like on the playground, it looks like the true bullies get fake tears welling up in their eyes when the teacher comes around, and the rest of the kids feel the wrath for the same transgressions EVERYBODY was complicit with.

mtbr member
    You seem to be doing a good job stalking and targeting Osokolo right now.

All the above post shows is a perfect example of someone spending too much time on the internet, actually stalking people, holding grudges and targeting certain members and not being able to move on, if you spent a little more time not making it about you and getting away from your computer you might understand.

Maybe you will just have to accept that is the opinion of some people and no matter how much bullying and filibustering you do to try and force your opinion about it, you aren't going to change anyone's mind. If you have the opposite opinion then fine, but adding in insults like "ignorant" and "your probably don't even own a bike" is just stupid and uncalled for and the only person you can change is you.

My post about Albion was my first in years, and was an honest observation. If you disagree fine, but you cross a line personally attacking people and if you don't understand this, you are going to have a problem with people who know it's wrong.

Also this is not an OCUP and Albion forum, but that is what is dominated here. It's an Eastern Canada forum and should be more diverse, but because of "the fabric" filibusterer things not many people any other places frequent here, and that is a shame AND I CAN SEE WHY as they get poked at and baited just posting here.

My favorite posts are SingleSprocket's Pics and vids threads and BlackDogCanoe's picture threads giving such great inspiration for riding new places around Canada, not reading about how much lotion a certain user orders off the internet.

I can only hope more people from Newfoundland, Quebec etc... can join in and start contributing now that the atmosphere is not a playground but more about sharing and a love for mountain biking and not make it all about one person or their riding club.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by veteran_youth View Post
    Ummm, I buy it, and I have been on this forum for a good 4-5 years now I think. Am I nobody?

I know SS and Oggie personally and have ridden with both. If you think that everything you have just said about Oggie in no way applies to SS then you probably have an underlying bias for some reason. If you think that SS posting a picture of somebody with a high seat crashing as an argument that low seat heights are necessary for tech riding isn't fallacious and disrespectful and baiting the majority of this forum, and that any contrary responses qualify as bullying, then I would like to know what is acceptable back and forth? When SS responds to 'filibuster' attempts in his own threads at a 1:1 ratio how is he not guilty of exactly what you are talking about?

If everyone on this forum who refuse to interact with the 'fabric' socially (I invited SS for a ride, he not so politely declined) and instead choose to constantly victimize and martyr themselves would just disappear, I argue that this forum would also be a better place. But just like on the playground, it looks like the true bullies get fake tears welling up in their eyes when the teacher comes around, and the rest of the kids feel the wrath for the same transgressions EVERYBODY was complicit with.
    Doesn't matter, I don't know the history between users here and don't care because that is not the point.

People should not feel intimidated to post stuff here that "the fabric" does not like. All the history and others crap is secondary to treating people with consideration.

Just because someone doesn't want to ride with you or has a different opinion does not make them the enemy you have to target and attack, that is the mentality here and I am so glad the mods are now paying attention to this.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    You seem to be doing a good job stalking and targeting Osokolo right now.
    If that's all you understood from that post, then you missed the point. Please go back and re-read.

mtbr member
    Doesn't matter, I don't know the history between users here and don't care because that is not the point.

People should not feel intimidated to post stuff here that "the fabric" does not like. All the history and others crap is secondary to treating people with consideration.

Just because someone doesn't want to ride with you or has a different opinion does not make them the enemy you have to target and attack, that is the mentality here and I am so glad the mods are now paying attention to this.
    What is so hard to understand here.....the 'history' shows who has and has not been treating others with respect for YEARS. And you have shown up on the forum for the past few weeks attempting to do nothing other than stir s--- up, apparently, mostly with targeting and attacking those who have a different opinion than you....but they are bullies, so it's okay, right?

mtbr member
    If that's all you understood from that post, then you missed the point. Please go back and re-read.

I read the whole post, that just underscored your hypocrisy most succinctly.

You realize you are the filibuster now, and SO AM I, as I respond to every post you make?

You can't have your 'shut up' and keep talking, too.

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Just to be a pain,.

So why do you click on those threads that you get so upset with then? No one is holding a gun to anyone's head to click on any thread here. So that leads one to the following set of observations,

a. You must like getting all wound up.
    b. are mentally weak so therefore can't stop yourself
    c. Maybe into the MTB forum BDSM scene

Here is a wonderful novel idea. Even on a internet forum people will have and post different view points based on their opinions. Some may post more then others. Part of this is understanding that while you may have and post your opinions others are welcome to share theirs as well. Regardless whether they are one's you like or not. That is part of this respecting others that is being thrown about. And part of that is the ability to accept the reality that they have a differing view of cycling then you. Not to go cry foul when they differ in opinion.

Of course their are times when it can get out of hand. And days where reading SS and Oggies bantering is like masturbating with a Cheese grater... mildly amusing but mostly painful.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007

You realize you are the filibuster now, and SO AM I, as I respond to every post you make?

Perfect example of turning into a mindless back and forth. Thank you.
    Last edited by BrokenAnimator; 08-07-2011 at 09:17 AM.

Team NFI
    Mar 2007

Slow day at the shop, eh?

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Just to be a pain,.

So why do you click on those threads that you get so upset with then? No one is holding a gun to anyone's head to click on any thread here. So that leads one to the following set of observations,

a. You must like getting all wound up.
    b. are mentally weak so therefore can't stop yourself
    c. Maybe into the MTB forum BDSM scene
    So you make assumptions that are against the rules and try to insult people? I would like to talk about these things intellectually, not throwing mud around like a school yard with insults and personal attacks. Thank you for giving such perfect examples of the problem.

It is not as easy as just don't click on the threads as past baggage comes into almost all the threads certain people post in. This thread or Watershed Wednesday and countless other threads are steered off course with past baggage. People need to learn to move on. As people who can not are the ones that are mentally weak, and it's not good mentally for anyone in real life or on the internet to not have this ability, it's still you posting.
    Last edited by BrokenAnimator; 08-07-2011 at 10:52 AM.

fresh fish in stock...... SuperModerator
    i am going to step away from this thread for an hour or two.

if the baiting and arguing continue 10 day suspensions are in order.

this nonsense has taken up way too much of my time as is.

you all have been officially warned once.
    Click Here for Forum Rules

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by nikojan View Post
    come at me bro. jane and finch at dawn
    I don't know about that, I rather doubt I'd make it to the duel alive in that area. How about the lawn bowling lanes at James Garden? They're just the perfect length for a supersoaker shootout.

namagomi
    I suspect a lot of the reported posts are probably caused by a certain poster starting an argument or trying to act as an authority and then running away and hiding behind the actual admins. Silly attempt at controlling the discussion and hopefully the admins will take the reported posts by the boy who cried wolf with a large grain of salt.

Anyways I am sure we have an idea who that is, since the upticks have been recent, so lets just put them on ignore for the safety of the forum.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by electrik View Post
    I suspect a lot of the reported posts are probably caused by a certain poster starting an argument or trying to act as an authority and then running away and hiding behind the actual admins. Silly attempt at controlling the discussion and hopefully the admins will take the reported posts by the boy who cried wolf with a large grain of salt.

Anyways I am sure we have an idea who that is, since the upticks have been recent, so lets just put them on ignore for the safety of the forum.
    Certain people just like to bait people and look for arguments because they have nothing better to do. I maybe posted 3 posts in this forum, and was jumped on. Even a simple joking post and you try to bait me into some weird roadies or MTB, who is more snobby, on a Saturday night, it was sad..lol

You think that makes me feel welcome to this forum? Or did you just want your entertainment for the night?

I am glad the mods are here, that is what they are here for. People like yourself who don't want to stop the childish behavior of baiting people for entertainment. I really do think this forum is better than that......or at least could be better than that.

namagomi
    Quote Originally Posted by Lwhicker View Post
    Certain people just like to bait people and look for arguments because they have nothing better to do. I maybe posted 3 posts in this forum, and was jumped on. Even a simple joking post and you try to bait me into some weird roadies or MTB, who is more snobby, on a Saturday night, it was sad..lol

You think that makes me feel welcome to this forum? Or did you just want your entertainment for the night?

I am glad the mods are here, that is what they are here for. People like yourself who don't want to stop the childish behavior of baiting people for entertainment. I really do think this forum is better than that......or at least could be better than that.
    Did you report that? Don't mistake others for your welcome mat and you don't have a problem.

I was responding to your bait post anyways.

Following admin advice i'll just add you to ignore. Goodbye.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    attempt at controlling the discussion and hopefully the admins will take the reported posts by the boy who cried wolf with a large grain of salt.

It's called putting aside the childish behavior and trying to solve a problem. Mindless back and forth is not going to solve the problem. What is going on in the forums is not right, it's a playground mentality that only the moderators can solve.

So it's time to grow up, identify a problem and solve it. Not throw mud in the sandbox and say people are hiding behind anything.

mtbr member
    You guys are seriously going to have an argument in the thread I posted saying please let's refrain from off topic arguments?
    This.

Lemmy Rules!
    Quote Originally Posted by thedumbopinion View Post

I think TheDumbOpinion is actually onto something here.

Let's leave this thread open for the usual suspects to rip on one another to their hearts content. That way those that don't approve of "cyber bullying" can just steer clear.

Let me get this started....

&#x202a;I Fart In Your General Direction!&#x202c;&rlm; - YouTube

Now go away, or I shall taunt you a second time....
    Strava made me do it....

Evil Jr.
    Irony: this thread haz it!
    Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Thank you to the moderators. I love the forums but hate when there is a great discussion going on and then 20 posts in a row that are useless banter to wade through.

There has to be a middle ground but sometimes you have to push a bit more and let it slide a bit back.

KIN
    Yes its retro but IT WORKS!

8 Speed is great and V-Brakes rock!

Ex-wrench...have a Question just ask!

humber river advocate
    clarification: i haven't ridden with you for over 10 years. please don't spread misleading information and gossip.

i also suggest a quick read of this:
    Victim blaming - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

once again, i feel that the extra moderation will benefit this forum and encourage diverse
    mtbing disscussions...
    broadcasting from
    "the vinyl basement"

build trail!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by singlesprocket View Post
    clarification: i haven't ridden with you for over 10 years. please don't spread misleading information and gossip.

i also suggest a quick read of this:
    Victim blaming - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

once again, i feel that the extra moderation will benefit this forum and encourage diverse
    mtbing disscussions...
    Extra clarification: that group photo is right around 6 years. And when I extended a serious invitation last week was shot down.

Edit: also have seen you in person avg once a month for oh, probably every one of those six years. And in person, you have always been a pleasure to deal with. On this forum....not so much. You know, while we are clarifying.

Evil Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by KINBOY View Post
    Thank you to the moderators. I love the forums but hate when there is a great discussion going on and then 20 posts in a row that are useless banter to wade through.

There has to be a middle ground but sometimes you have to push a bit more and let it slide a bit back.

KIN
    I agree with you but I think it's important to draw a distinction between "banter" (a healthy part of any active forum) and "bickering" (a pointless and destructive part of most of the internet).

I've talked to loads of people who only lurk here because they don't think they have anything relevant to say and I personally quite enjoy the banter. I think everyone has something relevant to say.

poser Administrator
    Monday morning and I have reviewed just this thread and made adjustments.

Just in case the rest of you are unclear as to what the guidelines for MTBR are please review them They are available in the first post of this thread and in the Quicklink on the tool bar at the top of each forum page.

Note: adding users to your ignore list won't get you a time out. Repeatedly responding back to them will as that is generally the definition of useless banter, efighting and flaming.
    MTBR Posting Guidelines
    calories>electrons

Evil Jr.
    Monday morning and I have reviewed just this thread and made adjustments.
    Interesting choices. Two of them I saw coming but the third took me by surprise.

Now, if you could do something about un-anonymousing the rep comments...

poser Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by garage monster View Post
    Interesting choices. Two of them I saw coming but the third took me by surprise.

Now, if you could do something about un-anonymousing the rep comments...
    I think the rep comments are anonymous in order to prevent retribution negative reps otherwise the rep would be even less useful. I suspect they will stay anonymous because of that.
    MTBR Posting Guidelines
    calories>electrons

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I think the rep comments are anonymous in order to prevent retribution negative reps otherwise the rep would be even less useful. I suspect they will stay anonymous because of that.
    The fun starts when people start leaving negative reps with other people's names on it. Happens on every single board where anonymous reps are allowed. I would strongly suggest getting rid of the rep system altogether before too many people figure out how to abuse it.

poser Administrator
    please see updated information in the first thread. This is includes reporting what you think is badgering or flaming of another user.

Report spam, porn, language, racists comments, misogynistic comments, etc but leave it to the OP to report if they feel badgered, harassed or flamed.
    MTBR Posting Guidelines
    calories>electrons

Evil Jr.
    edit: 6. Do not spend your time pointing out how someone else is being transgressed by other users. If they feel slighted they can report it themselves. This forum needs less police and more basic civility.

No. Just No.
    Am I to understand that we've now evolved from mocking each other to mocking the mods instead? Impressive.

poser Administrator
    i am good with mocking the mods 'cause I got a thick ass skin from living in the desert and riding a rigid single speed. Hit me I am good. I won't go crying to no one...

just no one better report post that someone is getting unfair with someone else and it isn't right because I get those report posts and I know when i am alright and am not alright and I'm alright. Alright?
    MTBR Posting Guidelines
    calories>electrons

Evil Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by Circlip View Post
    Am I to understand that we've now evolved from mocking each other to mocking the mods instead? Impressive.
    Maybe I should elaborate. My mind boggles at the thought that we've now gotten to the point of tattling on each other over perceived transgressions. It's absurd.

"Find me the man, and I'll find the crime"

No. Just No.
    i am good with mocking the mods 'cause I got a thick ass skin from living in the desert and riding a rigid single speed. Hit me I am good. I won't go crying to no one...

just no one better report post that someone is getting unfair with someone else and it isn't right because I get those report posts and I know when i am alright and am not alright and I'm alright. Alright?
    So you're saying I shouldn't do a bad post report on Garage Monster's mod-mocking post 'cause I'm worried he might be hurting your feelings, and instead should let you report it yourself, to yourself, if you feel so inclined? I think I'm getting the hang of this.

poser Administrator
    So you're saying I shouldn't do a bad post report on Garage Monster's mod-mocking post 'cause I'm worried he might be hurting your feelings, and instead should let you report it yourself, to yourself, if you feel so inclined? I think I'm getting the hang of this.
    I think you got it and pass it around to the left if you will.
    MTBR Posting Guidelines
    calories>electrons

mtbr member
    edit: 6. Do not spend your time pointing out how someone else is being transgressed by other users. If they feel slighted they can report it themselves. This forum needs less police and more basic civility..
    Like.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    I have noticed since the new rules are in place as few less posts but a good increase in the quality of them in general and less scrolling through useless banter.
    My Scroll Wheel Thanks the MOD's

KIN
    Yes its retro but IT WORKS!

8 Speed is great and V-Brakes rock!

Ex-wrench...have a Question just ask!

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I think you got it and pass it around to the left if you will.
    Puff puff give, puff puff give.

No. Just No.
    Quote Originally Posted by KINBOY View Post
    I have noticed since the new rules are in place as few less posts but a good increase in the quality of them in general and less scrolling through useless banter.
    *COUGH* Enduramil returning soon from "posting vacation" *COUGH*

Is it wrong of me to take a dig while he still can't post a reply? I can just picture the scene in front of his computer while reading this;

<iframe width="640" height="510" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/HY-03vYYAjA?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Is it wrong of me to take a dig while he still can't post a reply? I can just picture the scene in front of his computer while reading this;

<iframe width="640" height="510" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/HY-03vYYAjA?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
    lol he posted a new thread same time you posted this.

I was going to report you for badgering the guy that got banned...but uh I realized that was moronic.

Team NFI
    Mar 2007

Dig away. I welcome dissenting views and digs.

not aimed at the mods in any capacity.

Sun News stands by interview with dancer | Canada | News | Toronto Sun

those who are offended by content have many remedies at their disposal, including changing the channel. One remedy that should never be on the table is to censor or ban voices one disagrees with or is offended by

sock puppet
    Quote Originally Posted by shirk View Post
    I was going to report you for badgering the guy that got banned...but uh I realized that was moronic.
    and against edited "zero-tolerance policy":

but, what do i know about rules and policies anyway....

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    lol he posted a new thread same time you posted this.

The internet is serious business...eh?

sock puppet
    The internet is serious business...eh?
    last thing i remember was i was posting in this thread and clicking "submit" button for 10 minutes unsuccessfully. little did i know i was zapped.

therefore, i am outta here...

mtbr member
    If we pooled the 'stakeholders of Eastern Canada MTBR', ei. the important users....

we would find this forum could be satisified by creating a 'banter/childish behavior/badgering/pillaging/ribbing/taddle tail thread' of its own!

since many have been banded, ive been quite bored.....so ive come up with the only solution to this!

follow:

When one feels the urge to include such,
    banter
    childish behavior
    badgering
    pillaging
    ribbing
    hot volleyball chicks
    taddle tailing
    criticism
    ect......in a thread that is on track, you may 'copy post', then 'paste it' in the newly created thread called "Eastern Canada's House of Commons" their you may comment on quoted post, ect....

it would work similar to our Governments Commons, not very well! BUT, as the elected 'OP', i promise to you I wont shut the Commons down when 'its getting hot in here, enter Nelly video...' as i dont have sufficient interweb tears!

thoughts? comments related to hot chicks?

Evil Jr.
    That's two outta three. Welcome back fellas!

sock puppet
    Quote Originally Posted by dhpunk~ View Post
    comments related to hot chicks?
    i like

namagomi
    i like
    Very good osokolo. Well done. Make sure to take your vitamins.

You'll do just fine.

Evil Jr.
    Very good osokolo. Well done. Make sure to take your vitamins.

You'll do just fine.
    I'll miss the ultra-violence but on the other hand, there has been an uptick in geometric diagrams and jiffy-pop in the last ten days.

mtbr member
    welcome back
    as that you the mods adjusting you in your avatar Osokolo

namagomi
    I'll miss the ultra-violence but on the other hand, there has been an uptick in geometric diagrams and jiffy-pop in the last ten days.
    I don't want to upset you, but jiffy-pop sucks. If only because you have to carry around a greasy smoke covered aluminum tray afterwards, nevermind the burnt stuff on the bottom!

Lemmy Rules!

Alright.
    Strava made me do it....

humber river advocate
    I don't want to upset you, but jiffy-pop sucks. If only because you have to carry around a greasy smoke covered aluminum tray afterwards, nevermind the burnt stuff on the bottom!
    i agree, not a big fan, but like the concept. we did hack it to make it better (it worked!).
    i've posted a thread on it a while back. but someone always brings jiffy pop...

anyway time to pack the jeep
    broadcasting from
    "the vinyl basement"

build trail!

poser Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by dhpunk~ View Post
    If we pooled the 'stakeholders of Eastern Canada MTBR', ei. the important users....

we would find this forum could be satisified by creating a 'banter/childish behavior/badgering/pillaging/ribbing/taddle tail thread' of its own!

since many have been banded, ive been quite bored.....so ive come up with the only solution to this!

follow:

When one feels the urge to include such,
    banter
    childish behavior
    badgering
    pillaging
    ribbing
    hot volleyball chicks
    taddle tailing
    criticism
    ect......in a thread that is on track, you may 'copy post', then 'paste it' in the newly created thread called "Eastern Canada's House of Commons" their you may comment on quoted post, ect....

it would work similar to our Governments Commons, not very well! BUT, as the elected 'OP', i promise to you I wont shut the Commons down when 'its getting hot in here, enter Nelly video...' as i dont have sufficient interweb tears!

thoughts? comments related to hot chicks?
    This is a good idea however there is something in the new VBulletin version called groups where you can go hang out and stuff, where it doesn't need to be in the forum. I think you guys could put together a group where you could do what you do best and then you wouldn't have to worry about the people that might be offended complaining that it is in their forum.

It is in essence the ability to create your own forum. Some one starts it (i'm looking at you dhpunk~ and the rest join, create topics, chat etc.

http://forums.mtbr.com/group.php?do=create

Invite your friends. Moderate it yourself (although we mods can jump in and delete obvious porn postings and stuff that goes over the main use guidelines and spammers), laugh and play like you canucks will do.

Try it at home!
    MTBR Posting Guidelines
    calories>electrons

sock puppet
    and then you wouldn't have to worry about the people that might be offended complaining that it is in their forum.
    their forum? whose forum? theirs? ours? I didn't know someone owned this forum... Also - I would not suggest any division. Why?

With all due respect and without any intention to argue - we have been having fun on this forum forever - way BEFORE all this bickering and post reporting started. No need to destroy the forum in order to save it for handful of people (dropmachine.com didn't do it either).

Just my 2 cents...

It is in essence the ability to create your own forum. Some one starts it (i'm looking at you dhpunk~ and the rest join, create topics, chat etc.

http://forums.mtbr.com/group.php?do=create

Invite your friends. Moderate it yourself (although we mods can jump in and delete obvious porn postings and stuff that goes over the main use guidelines and spammers), laugh and play like you canucks will do.

Try it at home!
    It's all nice and dandy, but I would be concerned that such forum could be created completely elsewhere, which could effectively kill the existing one... Wouldn't that be shame?

However, if majority feels the way you suggest - I'll be happy to follow... I'll definitely go where it is more fun to hang around...

poser Administrator
    their forum? whose forum? theirs? ours? I didn't know someone owned this forum... Also - I would not suggest any division. Why?

With all due respect and without any intention to argue - we have been having fun on this forum forever - way BEFORE all this bickering and post reporting started. No need to destroy the forum in order to save it for handful of people (dropmachine.com didn't do it either).

Just my 2 cents...

It's all nice and dandy, but I would be concerned that such forum could be created completely elsewhere, which could effectively kill the existing one... Wouldn't that be shame?

However, if majority feels the way you suggest - I'll be happy to follow... I'll definitely go where it is more fun to hang around...
    I support hanging and having fun but was just suggesting instead of creating a bicker/banter/needle thread as suggested by dhpunk~ that one could instead create an invite only group where you could bicker, cajole and needle until your heats content without having the other user of this forum feel offended by your postings and bother me with continuous report posts because I am in fact, as my signature states, want the easy way out.

It was just a casual suggestion, not a requirement or an order and my life is unaffected by whatever you chose to do. Very few people know about the groups and they are kinda cool. If I had any friends I would create one myself but alas since I don't I have to insert myself in forums that are 2500 miles away and completely irrelevant to me.

The least you could do is time to time have an old school or single speed rigid thread that I could participate in, instead of these jumping or cool race threads.

and I definitely misspoke with regards to their forums. I mean their as in the users that participate less than the usual general population and only their as in the possessive meaning of the word and not as in ownership of the forum or whatever.
    MTBR Posting Guidelines
    calories>electrons

mtbr member
    Canada still mad about the bruins winning?
    Gary Fisher HiFi Deluxe 29er

mtbr member
    we'll all remain grumpy here until our leafs win.
    so get used to it

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by trailtrash View Post
    we'll all remain grumpy here until our leafs win.
    so get used to it
    Speak for yourselves.

This Canuck will be less grumpy after Tuesday at 6pm. The wife returns home after almost 2.5 months away.

poser Administrator
    A reminder that puppet accounts are generally dealt with in banning both the puppet and the alternate user account outright. If there are any puppet accounts in here you can contact me via PM and I will delete the account and not your original account. If I find them on my own accord I will delete all multiple accounts and ban the IP's associate with them.
    MTBR Posting Guidelines
    calories>electrons

Evil Jr.
    As someone who only has the vaguest idea of how the internet works, I can't even imagine how you'd figure out puppet accounts. Sitting here at my desk, I think I can switch between my home IP (which, I understand can be any of a range my provider might use) and my VPN IP. To me, it seems like hunting prairie dogs or playing Whack-A-Mole. What an age we live in!

banned
    Aug 2011

Question for Chum? About Use the Ignore feature or be banned

I know this is my first post and I can not make a thread here so I will accused of being a sock puppet but I do get this forum on an RSS feed program and I read it without logging in and have been doing so for years so I kinda feel attached to all this.

So I have some questions for cuum about using the ignore button to try and help?

A) The first rule of the Forum Posting is if:

1.The message insults or degrades another member of the community.

Now this thread has that, and so does this thread in spades: *can't post links* Copy paste please forums.mtbr.com/eastern-canada/eastern-canada-forum%3Ddaycare-moderator-forum-732343.html[/url]

Are you saying these posts are not against the forum rules? They seem pretty darn insulting the way I see it on both sides and do nothing positive for this forum. It also looks like people get around this rule by not naming the name directly.

B) If we are not aloud to report any posts that are not aimed at us but bring the spirit of the forum down will I or anyone be banned for this? Just for simply trying to help out?

C) If the personal being insulted does not return for a week or ever, does that mean the post against that person stays online forever because that person did not report it?

D) Shouldn't posts be deleted that insult another member of the forum as when other people read it all it does is make them think that behaviour is acceptable? Even if you time out people and not delete their posts looking back it looks like you did nothing and that this sort of behaviour is tolerated.

Hope these questions help sort out somethings that in my mind would help this forum get to a positive place.

Peace out.

fresh fish in stock...... SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by YourMaker View Post
    A) The first rule of the Forum Posting is if:

1.The message insults or degrades another member of the community.

Now this thread has that, and so does this thread in spades: *can't post links* Copy paste please forums.mtbr.com/eastern-canada/eastern-canada-forum%3Ddaycare-moderator-forum-732343.html[/url]

Are you saying these posts are not against the forum rules?...
    Not in my opinion

B) If we are not aloud to report any posts that are not aimed at us but bring the spirit of the forum down will I or anyone be banned for this? Just for simply trying to help out?
    Unless they are flagrant violations (porn, racist, name calling, graphically violent, SPAM) then yes - you will receive a warning, time-out or ban.

C) If the personal being insulted does not return for a week or ever, does that mean the post against that person stays online forever because that person did not report it?
    sometime yes...sometimes no.

D) Shouldn't posts be deleted that insult another member of the forum as when other people read it all it does is make them think that behaviour is acceptable? Even if you time out people and not delete their posts looking back it looks like you did nothing and that this sort of behaviour is tolerated.
    sometime yes...sometimes no. It is our call
    see answers in red.

you don't like an online persona - put them on your ignore list.
    Last edited by CHUM; 08-21-2011 at 12:33 PM. Reason: forgot SPAM...dammit
    Click Here for Forum Rules

mtbr member
    Please, folks, use the Ignore feature. Or as old-timers call it, plonk anybody who is bothering you. As Scott Stratten put it:

Don't try to win over the haters. You're not the jackass whisperer

Evil Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by raganwald View Post
    Please, folks, use the Ignore feature. Or as old-timers call it, plonk anybody who is bothering you. As Scott Stratten put it:
    If you ignore someone and someone else you haven't ignored quotes their post, would you still see it?

(PS. I'm not planning on ignoring anyone.)

mtbr member
    If you ignore someone and someone else you haven't ignored quotes their post, would you still see it?

(PS. I'm not planning on ignoring anyone.)
    Yes you do see their quote. You can also look at one of their posts while leaving them on your “ignore” list. For me, the main benefit of ignoring someone is to reduce the probability of my responding to them while we’re both in a combative mood. After a while, when the wild rumpus dies down, I usually un-ignore the person. So if I see that they’re no longer doing whatever it is that blew the steam out of my ears, I can start reading their posts again.

If you’d like to experiment with the feature, try ignoring me and see how it works. I won’t be offended, and you probably won’t miss much

Evil Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by raganwald View Post
    If you’d like to experiment with the feature, try ignoring me and see how it works. I won’t be offended, and you probably won’t miss much
    Well, that was interesting. I got one of these where your post would have been:

Quote Originally Posted by MTBR
    This message is hidden because raganwald is on your ignore list.
    So, you know it's there but you can't see it.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Don't try to win over the haters. You're not the jackass whisperer
    Best online quote I've read in awhile.

Seriously what is the deal with all these new one time posters coming out the woodwork? Does this not strike the mod's as rare? You guys maybe do a quick IP check to see that these are not fake account?

Evil Jr.
    Seriously what is the deal with all these new one time posters coming out the woodwork? Does this not strike the mod's as rare? You guys maybe do a quick IP check to see that these are not fake account?
    I blame the weather. It's raining buckets over a large part of Ontario right now.

And with that, I see a gap in the radar so I'm off to pedal around for a bit.

sock puppet
    just came back from Durham Forest... what a gorgeous ride it was... Tacky trails and LeHair as a knowledgeable guide... James completed the Nucking Futs fun ride roster...

We crossed paths with many a rider and brought tommy home as well as the weather was turning really bad just at the end of our ride...

Evil Jr.
    So we didn't outsmart the rain so much but we didn't really get soaked either. With Mrs. Monster at 32 weeks now, every ride we can still do together is a good ride!

sock puppet
    So we didn't outsmart the rain so much but we didn't really get soaked either. With Mrs. Monster at 32 weeks now, every ride we can still do together is a good ride!
    Truly outstanding. If the monster junior does not become a TdF regular or at least a Tuesday Night Fun Race Series winner, it will be the parents' fault. Genes and saddle time are certainly there.
    Signature

poser Administrator
    Best online quote I've read in awhile.

yeah we are IP fu masters. It is a long laborious process to weed out puppet accounts vs. just new uses, but with puppet accounts, eventually the user reverts to their old ways then it is double lifetime ban for both accounts and those IP's get blocked.

But it also seems a lot of you Rogers Toronto folks fall under the same IP so that certain users share the same IP as the people the bother them and vice versa, which generally means you all work really close together or Rogers is really stingy with IP addresses.

Moderation a set of forums with over a quarter million users is an exercise in patients and filtering. We wait, we filter out the noise and then we shut users down. Unless a forum degrades to the point where 50% of the content is useless bickering then we have to hit it was a zero tolerance policy and unfortunately some users will get timeouted and not deserve it and some might get the ban hammer. The best way to avoid either is to head the guidelines, use the ignore feature for awhile, which while not perfect will reduce the clutter in certain threads and your impetus to post back a retort, and not cross the zero tolerance policy line.

Lay low, post about bike parts, rides, post in other forums, just let the forum filter for awhile. Bans will be handed out and soon everything will be back to normal, so to speak, the AZ forum had this applied to the huge benefit of the forum and forum where the general user count was plummeting to just a few overly argumentative users is now repopulating with local interest threads and users that are returning to contribute.
    MTBR Posting Guidelines
    calories>electrons

No. Just No.
    Time to "unsticky" this thread and let it float downwards like the leaves of fall, so that we have more room for other topics near the top of the page.