Your experience with BikeRoom.com- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Dec 2005

Your experience with BikeRoom.com

It seems like a legitimate business but I am I'm bit pissed about the way they do their business. On May 15 I ordered some stuff, now it's almost 2 weeks passed and I still don't have my stuff. I ordered a break system and a pair of wheels. For some reason when I go into the account page on bikeroom.com my order is still listed as "pending fulfillment". I tried calling but I only get voice mail. So I sent an email a week ago hoping that maybe somebody can fill me in on the status of my order. Several days passed and nothing. I mean how hard is it to reply back saying: "Hey, don't worry, you'll get your s.hit in few days". So now my $400 order is sitting in a limbo.

Am I overacting and it's normal for online retailers behave like that? ... Or maybe it's just the way BikeRoom operates?

I guess in a week or so I'll have to call my credit card and cancel that payment. Then I'll just have to find some other place to buy cheap parts.

I already rode that
    Alot of ppl get similiar service from them like you are getting now.
    Call/email them up with a response about cancelling and they will prob respond fast then.
    Riding F/S since oct 94'

Mar 2006
    I ordered the same XT brakes and got them a couple days later. There were other things that I wanted, but given the stories I saw on here, I decided not to complicate the order.
    It worked for me, it seemed that they put time and effort into my order. Not much else I can tell you. The measure of customer service is what they do when something does go wrong, keep on it.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    ^^^ Are, you're on RDF as well. Yeah I got those XT brakes and wheels with XT hubs. Maybe they are lacing them for a week or something. Either way, I'll try to bug them next week, if nothing will come out from that I'll call Visa.

some kind of hero...
    Quote Originally Posted by GroceryBagHead
    ^^^ Are, you're on RDF as well. Yeah I got those XT brakes and wheels with XT hubs. Maybe they are lacing them for a week or something. Either way, I'll try to bug them next week, if nothing will come out from that I'll call Visa.
    It's my understanding that they can't charge your card unless the goods are SHIPPED!

If the charge is on your card, and you don't have anything like a shipping date or tracking #, that doesn't sound good. Let bikeroom know your next call will be to your CC company and they will probably find the time to respond. They did that to a friend of mine with a sale item, and it dragged on for months. He finally got a refund, but that's not how it works for on-line purchases... The charge shouldn't have been made without the order being filled.

Good Luck
    GEVELTERSCHMIDT RACING

Mar 2006
    Oh ya, they charge as soon as you order. Mine was 'pending fulfilment' for a day or so after that, then shipped.
    Who knows, they could have a couple guys in a basement putting this stuff together and it took them a few days to ship all the brakes before they could lace up a couple wheels.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    They're probably swamped from all the orders for XT brakes from RFD... Give them some time to get things processed.

I put an order through and had great sucess..

Misfit Psycles
    no it's not unusual to pre-bill an order if THEY are building the wheels. i (personally) wont start lacing a set w/o payment...then again mine are custom and not really for inventory. but with stock (parts) orders your card should NEVER be billed prior to shipping. my max prebill (even for custom) is 48hrs...if i cant ship before that time, the card isn't billed and the buyer is given the option to cancel.

leave bikeroom a message, send an email and give them 24hrs to respond. no response or you dont like the response, then cancel.

no experience with bikeroom but i see a number of eshoppes offering stupid prices on out of stock (very low qty) items just to get you in the door...then idgits like moi and the friendly neighborhood LBS are asked to price match...
    Expert of the Internet.
    BECAUSE I SAID SO

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I got my XT brakes from them last week. I mounted them and they're working great.

mtbr member
    They are OK, you'll get your stuff.
    I've placed 4 orders from them in the past and got everything each time, though the wait time is painful if you're in a rush.
    Mike
    Toronto, Canada
    2017 Trek Farley 9.6
    2017 Diamondback Haanjo Trail Carbon (sold)
    2016 Scott Solace 10 Disc

Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by airman
    It's my understanding that they can't charge your card unless the goods are SHIPPED!

If the charge is on your card, and you don't have anything like a shipping date or tracking #, that doesn't sound good. Let bikeroom know your next call will be to your CC company and they will probably find the time to respond. They did that to a friend of mine with a sale item, and it dragged on for months. He finally got a refund, but that's not how it works for on-line purchases... The charge shouldn't have been made without the order being filled.

Good Luck

I can tell you for a fact that they do that. My order with them was billed to CC immediatedly and they didn't ship for 15 days, I received them about 10 business days after that, which makes me believe that my emails about them ripping me off got through and they emailed me saying my goods shipped to shut me up when it was clear that my goods hadn't been shipped till the following week.

Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Chad-WL
    They're probably swamped from all the orders for XT brakes from RFD... Give them some time to get things processed.

I put an order through and had great sucess..
    I don't think shipping time has to do with that, I think that they are out riding all week and then package the stuff on the weekends and evenings. if your order takes two weeks to fill when all they have to do is put it in a box and mail it, it is not a matter of being swamped, it is a matter of not working....if you doubt it go grab a pre assembled and pre bled brake that is already in its box and put it in another box now take a sharpie pen and write an address on it, double check it all and put it in a pile of the other orders. how long did it take you. now figure a work day of 8 hours what is that 100 orders per day per worker..... come on what is their volume. This isn't anger directed at you, I am just saying that people need to expect more of a mail order company even if it sells stuff cheaper than the americans do.

Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by nogearshere
    .then idgits like moi and the friendly neighborhood LBS are asked to price match...
    this is a little off topic but it is related. Is it possible for LBS and independants to band together and make a coop parts distribution company (avoiding laws against collusion) that would not take such a large cut out of you guys. I know what my LBS pays for parts and in many instances it is a larger amount than the US mail order charges for stock parts...ie not specials. It just feels like without price comparison or some other competitive force acting on the canadian dist. we(MTBers and LBS) will continue to get the shaft as far as parts selection and price is concerned.

PS did you know that there are 9 variations of the RS PYKE fork and only two availble in canada.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by walrasian
    this is a little off topic but it is related. Is it possible for LBS and independants to band together and make a coop parts distribution company (avoiding laws against collusion) that would not take such a large cut out of you guys. I know what my LBS pays for parts and in many instances it is a larger amount than the US mail order charges for stock parts...ie not specials. It just feels like without price comparison or some other competitive force acting on the canadian dist. we(MTBers and LBS) will continue to get the shaft as far as parts selection and price is concerned.

PS did you know that there are 9 variations of the RS PYKE fork and only two availble in canada.
    This has to do with OGC (Outdoor Gear Canada) and Norco being the two major importers and their thirst for money. In most cases your friendly, neighborhood LBS (yes, I was watching Spiderman - sue me!) has his/her/their hands tied to a certain extent.

You should do a search on the Deals section here on MTBR. Use a key word of Canada - that'll open your eyes.
    I ..... need ..... DIRT!!!!!

... and cookies. :D

Misfit Psycles
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrewTO
    This has to do with OGC (Outdoor Gear Canada) and Norco being the two major importers and their thirst for money. In most cases your friendly, neighborhood LBS (yes, I was watching Spiderman - sue me!) has his/her/their hands tied to a certain extent.

You should do a search on the Deals section here on MTBR. Use a key word of Canada - that'll open your eyes.
    don't forget those evil buggers at cycles lambert...no, it's not a plot and i don't believe Norco is making money hand over fist on the dist side of things. for those that have seen both places first hand - the overhead, the inventory, the staff...damn. the problem is with the way the majority of manufacturers SEE Canada and the way THEY choose to deal with business here.

most (if not all) manufacturers deal with a dist here. for all major products the dist cost is higher then those paid in the US. often tymes the dist cost is dealer cost 'there'. add to that the fact that the dist eats dollar and shipping fluctuations, owns inventory and covers warranty etc...i am sure they make money but doubt they are printing money.

here is the problem in a nutshell. hardcover to follow. for a LBS to get better pricing they have to commit. commit big. go direct. tonnes of XT hubs, tonnes of avid bb7's and very little else...we the consumer have asked for them to offer a full line - multiple options - we will have to pay a price for that kind of selection. look at bikeroom, look at the big US boys online...no matter how big they are, the blockbuster prices are on a very fixed selection...bought in bulk and possibly even 'last years' stock. the rest of the items? retail. and 80:20 ain't a gear ratio.

sorry, back to topic. if bikeroom oversold on the items in your order they will need to wait for the next shippment 'cause they CAN'T afford to drive down the road to Norco to p/u....
    Expert of the Internet.
    BECAUSE I SAID SO

mtbr member
    I've ordered from Bikeroom a few times and I must have been lucky since my parts arrived within 3 working days.

I'll order again but I'll make sure I'm in no rush for the part in question.

But either way, they should at least fire off an email or callback regarding the delay in your order. That's pretty unprofessional if you ask me...

Bored
    Try www.speedgoat.com. I've had great results with these guys. My Camelbak was about $30 bucks less than a retail store, even with shipping.
    MTBR is serious stuff.
    You never get better until you get out of your comfort zone.

Moderator Moderator

Good job!

in my experience shipping is on the slow side, but they did come through with all the parts ordered each time. Two thumbs up.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Yey! After 3 weeks my order finally changed from "Pending Fulfillment" to "Billed". 3 short weeks after and it might change to "Shipped" too. And eventually Canada Post will "lose" my package.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    I actually got my package at the end of week 4. It looks like they run out of XT brakes so I ended up with rear Saint caliper. I guess I could *****, but Saint is better that XT, right? A bit heavier though.

I just placed order for another 250 bucks. Getting new shifters, cassette and chain. I didn't want to spend 60 bucks on some black strange 8speed pods (Acera probably) at my LBS. So it's upgrading again for me.

mtbr member

Upset

There have been quite a few "post your bad experience with Bikeroom" posts on this board to date, but I have been reluctant to post, thinking I may at some point go back and deal with them again. But, now I think the chances of that are small, and even if, I would have nothing to be ashamed of, given that I'm not making any of this up. So here it goes.
    I have been dealing with Bikeroom for a long time (not since the last misshap, which was about a year ago), way before they were called Bikeroom - the old Airbomb days. I got "to know" Dave (I assume the person who runs the show), if you can say that about conversations over the phone. After some time when I called I'd just say my name and he knew exactly who was calling.
    Have ordered things many times, I'd say between Bikeroom and Airbomb of old I did between 10-15 orders. Out of those, I'd say 70-75% was always screwed up in some way. Here's a sample of stuff I can remember - sometimes as you will see the mistake worked out in my favor, sometimes not:

- ordered a set of Kenda tires (front and rear specific) - received two rear tires

- ordered a set of Avid mech. discs with all black (it was clearly specified as such) disc wheels on XT hubs - got an all silver wheelset, but with 3, not two Avid brakes, although all rotors were 6", instead of 8" as ordered.

- ordered a Selle Italia Flite Max Trans Am saddle - got Flite Ti Trans Am one (score!, although at the time I wasn't impressed as I knew what I wanted, and had tried the other one before).

- ordered a full face helmet, and a chain guide, stressing that I needed them by a given date, in time for my long weekend trip to Bromont. Also, I specified that it is to come to my home address, not my work as I usualy had done, fearing that if it gets there after hours (as they used a courier), and I'm not there anymore, it will be out of my hands for the trip. That was just a precaution, as there was no way it should get so close to the end of the week, as they assured me everything was in stock, and would ship the same day. I paid extra to get it faster of course too. All that was done over the phone, as I wanted to absolutely be sure it wouldn't get screwed up this time. I remember dictating the new address to the guy on the other end.
    Well, sure enough, the weekend came, and my stuff was nowhere to be seen. I think I went to Bromont, and afterwards I started calling them, as the package was STILL nowhere to be seen. A few calls to them and the courier company later, I find out the package did come, but to my work address ( ), and there was noone there, so the package returned to the depot and was sitting there. When I finaly got my hands on it, the chainguide was there, but the helmet size was wrong, and - I guess as a consolation?! - there was a Kenda tire in it!

- finaly, the last time I have ordered from Bikeroom, it was a bunch of parts for my new xc bike - a pair of Time ATAC XS pedals, some grips, an XT rear der., some Avid Flak Jacket cables, XT chain etc. This time everything came as ordered, but while doing some banking online I noticed that my Visa was billed twice, on the same day, each time for the full amount of over 300 bucks that the order totalled. I called Bikeroom, and left a message for them (as there was noone picking up). I followed that up with an email. In the course of the next week and a half I called again twice and emailed again, with the final call/email saying that if the payment is not credited to my Visa, and I don't hear back from them, I will take up the issue with Visa, and will take my future business elsewhere, as I can not rely on them to resolve stuff like that. Sure enough, I was calling Visa 2 days later. Never received a phone call or an email explaining the situation.

After that, I said to myself - that's it, I can find other ways to get my parts at a decent price, without always wondering what will I find inside the grab bag.

Arek
    Last edited by Arek; 06-12-2006 at 05:52 AM.

Misfit Psycles
    Quote Originally Posted by GroceryBagHead
    I actually got my package at the end of week 4. It looks like they run out of XT brakes so I ended up with rear Saint caliper. I guess I could *****, but Saint is better that XT, right? A bit heavier though.

I just placed order for another 250 bucks. Getting new shifters, cassette and chain. I didn't want to spend 60 bucks on some black strange 8speed pods (Acera probably) at my LBS. So it's upgrading again for me.
    mr bag head...you ordered from bikeroom again?
    no offense intended but am i missing something? you ordered xt, they sent you saint...without approval?

aside from few here, i think you people are being far too kind...perhaps i am holding myself to an unthinkable standard, but i doubt it.

N.B.: this has nothing to do with bikeroom per say, some people sound like they got good service. the items discussed apply to any retail (online or brick) operation:
    prebilling?
    no order status communicated?
    unreturned emails and calls?
    shipping delays measured in weeks?
    parts swapping?
    incorrect parts?

any ONE of these things is unacceptable. i say stand up for your rights and demand better service, saving $20 just aint worth the hassle. OR if youd rather, send me $200. i will ship you 'something' 'sometyme'...i am tired of doing things right...its a lot of work and it cuts into profits...
    Expert of the Internet.
    BECAUSE I SAID SO

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by nogearshere
    aside from few here, i think you people are being far too kind...perhaps i am holding myself to an unthinkable standard, but i doubt it.
    Peter, you're 100% correct. None of those things are acceptable. In my defense (NOT Bikeroom's...) I'll add to what I posted above that each time they worked with me on a resolution of a problem - except for that last instance that finaly had me say - no more. I guess at the time the substantial savings over other sources justified the hassles for me. In the hindsight, perhaps I had been too patient, for too long.

Arek

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Yeah, I placed another order. I guess if they **** it up or I'll have to wait for 3 weeks this will be the last time I order anything from there.

However, where else in this damn country can you buy parts without spending craploads of money? Wait until the bike show and hope to find something there? heh.

Jun 2006
    I had a simular experience with 7 weeks to get a fork and then it was the wrong fork. It wasn't until i cancelled my Visa payment i seemed to get soem attention.
    Anyways i started looking around and the bikeroom seems to be it for online bike parts companies in Canada. So i am starting one. It is up but not ready for business. I have found partners and now we have a couple wholesalers. It wasn;t easy to get them in Canada. It was actually brutal taking 6 months to find the first one. Anyways the point ot all this is what do you want to see in an online mountain bike company? What parts should we carry and what lines? Let me know and we will do our best to makeit so...
    www.bikerinc.ca

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pootin
    I had a simular experience with 7 weeks to get a fork and then it was the wrong fork. It wasn't until i cancelled my Visa payment i seemed to get soem attention.
    Anyways i started looking around and the bikeroom seems to be it for online bike parts companies in Canada. So i am starting one. It is up but not ready for business. I have found partners and now we have a couple wholesalers. It wasn;t easy to get them in Canada. It was actually brutal taking 6 months to find the first one. Anyways the point ot all this is what do you want to see in an online mountain bike company? What parts should we carry and what lines? Let me know and we will do our best to makeit so...
    www.bikerinc.ca

Good for you man, good luck on the venture.
    Mike
    Toronto, Canada
    2017 Trek Farley 9.6
    2017 Diamondback Haanjo Trail Carbon (sold)
    2016 Scott Solace 10 Disc

Members who have read this thread: 0