You guys are swell, treat yourself to something nice...- Mtbr.com
    mtbr Decade+

You guys are swell, treat yourself to something nice...

Was surfing last night and stumbled across this:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/M...?ModelID=28509

My order looked like:

----------------------------------------------------------
    Products Ordered:
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    3 Shimano HG93 Chain 9 Speed - Each
    ID: 1420
    Unit Price: 41.97

1 Cane Creek 110 Headset - Black 1.1/8"
    ID: 88978
    Unit Price: 34.99

1 Cane Creek 110 Headset - Red 1.1/8"
    ID: 88981
    Unit Price: 34.99

1 Muc Off 3 x Brush Set - Each
    ID: 35149
    Unit Price: 9.62

2 Michelin City MTB Tyre - 26 x 1.85 Wire Gumwall Black Reflex
    ID: 82083
    Unit Price: 22.72

3 SRAM PG970 MTB Cassette 9sp - 11-32
    ID: 18205
    Unit Price: 47.25

Postage: 0.00 (Free Standard Delivery)

THE TOTAL COST OF THE ORDER INCLUDING POSTAGE IS: 191.54
    ( 299.16 CAD )
    "I love being on a bike. It helps me feel free. I get it from my dad", by Guillaume Blanchet

mtbr Decade+
    I would have posted in "Where are the best deals" but I wanted Canadians to have first dibs on the $55 Cane Creek 110's...
    "I love being on a bike. It helps me feel free. I get it from my dad", by Guillaume Blanchet

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    I would be careful of ordering anything other than the headsets. ($55 is a WICKED deal on the headsets though!)
    The chain and cassette were way more expensive than at the bike shops in my area.

mtbr Decade+
    Quote Originally Posted by juan_valdez
    I would be careful of ordering anything other than the headsets. ($55 is a WICKED deal on the headsets though!)
    The chain and cassette were way more expensive than at the bike shops in my area.
    Those prices were for three packs - about $20/casette or chain. Cheap, I think.

I love CRC, just use Paypal. Their credit card security needs work. Still.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    The trick I just learned when ordering from UK sites is to switch to US funds. I saved about $50 on a $400 order from PBK because if the price difference. Cost was $410 US $405 CAN on my credit card.

bi-winning
    Keep a close eye on your credit card statement.

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=703937
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

mtbr Decade+
    Thanks Ryan, but I've been twice burned by them, although Visa took care of all the bad charges...

I use Paypal...

bi-winning
    Quote Originally Posted by Biggie
    Thanks Ryan, but I've been twice burned by them, although Visa took care of all the bad charges...

I use Paypal...
    Basically, how that works is you pay PayPal, and then PayPal pays CRC, so that your credit card info is not revealed to CRC, correct?
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Correct, CRC will not see your credit card info if you use PayPal.

Is it winter yet?
    May 2007
    Now I find out. I ordered a couple things a year ago, and a month or two later, somebody took the trouble of writing a VISA cheque in my name for $10,000, for a "car" I didn't buy. They didn't use my home address - they used my shipping address. I had bought a few things online, so I didn't know where the card was compromised. Took weeks with Visa to get that sorted out. I don't think they believed me at first.

Now, I just ordered a headset and some other miscellaneous things. Crossing fingers and checking Visa statements....

mtbr member
    I always use Paypal with CRC. Already got burned by them too. Don't want their shitty system near my CC. Good deals to be had though. That is an awesome deal for a 110...and I just put in an order from CRC last week too!

mtbr Decade+
    Quote Originally Posted by chansen
    Now I find out. I ordered a couple things a year ago, and a month or two later, somebody took the trouble of writing a VISA cheque in my name for $10,000, for a "car" I didn't buy. They didn't use my home address - they used my shipping address. I had bought a few things online, so I didn't know where the card was compromised. Took weeks with Visa to get that sorted out. I don't think they believed me at first.

Now, I just ordered a headset and some other miscellaneous things. Crossing fingers and checking Visa statements....
    Trust us, your card has been compromised.

Call and ask for a new card. You don't want to give some scum bag a car. I'm sure that is a vulnerable time for cc thieves, when they are using the bogus number, perhaps you may aid in catching a crook.

I Wanna Be Sedated
    I have used PayPal with CRC in the past for the few times I've bought from them. About a month ago, I was in a hurry and needed to make a small order, but for whatever reason, the PayPal payment wouldn't process.

So, I figured, what the heck, I'll stick my neck out and use my Visa at CRC. I mean, I use my Visa all over the place, live/on phone/internet, all the time - I'm sure CRC will be fine despite all of the stories. Right.

For the last two weeks, I've had various funny debit (and subsequent credit) activity on my card. Some attempts at bus/airline ticket activity in souther Europe, some funky activity in China, etc. I got the call from Visa yesterday, we sorted it all out and a new card is en route. Pain in the butt.

I don't think I'll be buying anything from CRC in the future, PayPal or not.
    Jouko

mtbr member
    I've bought a ton of stuff from CRC with my card over five years. Nothing amiss.
    The above statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration

namagomi
    I haven't used the cc w/ crc, but it is also worth checking your computer for keyloggers and nasty things which may have snuck in through various joke e-mails etc.

GAME ON!
    that 110 deal is ridiculous. you're the man, biggie. i don't even need a headset but i'd swap my king out for a 110.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

figured I try CRC for a parts order

Figured I give CRC a go for a parts order, but did the paypal thing as suggested by other mtbr members, placed order last week, curious how long it will take,their website claims 3days, we'll see...
    Quote Originally Posted by nspace
    I always use Paypal with CRC. Already got burned by them too. Don't want their shitty system near my CC. Good deals to be had though. That is an awesome deal for a 110...and I just put in an order from CRC last week too!

namagomi
    Quote Originally Posted by VernDog
    Figured I give CRC a go for a parts order, but did the paypal thing as suggested by other mtbr members, placed order last week, curious how long it will take,their website claims 3days, we'll see...
    Yeah, don't forget canada customs if you sent regular mail... this link causes the longest delay typically.

mtbr Decade+
    Quote Originally Posted by VernDog
    After it was listed as dispatched, my order took 2 days.

Members who have read this thread: 0