xx1 for Ontario?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

xx1 for Ontario?

Considering a new bike. Not sure about going xx1 or shimano 2x11. Anyone gone to xx1 and regret it? I use my granny all the time 24x36 now, so not sure about switching. I've found some gear inch charts on here, and it doesn't seem that far off. curious about experience of others. will be used for o-cup, and kelso weekly race series, and trail riding.
    any input is appreciated.

mtbr member
    If you can live with the slightly limited range of one chain ring, XX1 is awesome. If you need the full range, all the high and low, then you'll need two chain rings. You can get granny gear low with XX1 or big ring 44/11 cog high but you can't have both.

I ride (don't race anymore) a 26". I use a 38 tooth ring. For my fitness level and my local trails it works perfectly for me. If I was traveling around Ontario, doing races then I'd want at least two different sized rings and change them depending on the course.

No. Just No.
    When you say you use your granny 24x36 now, you have to do a realistic self-assessment of whether you use it as a comfortable fallback or whether you use it because need to. If you're finding that you're often tapped out and need that 24x36 bailout, then you're probably going to feel it even if you only lose 7%-8% on the low gearing going to XX1. Of course, that all depends on what front ring size you choose.

On the other hand if you can just harden up a bit and convince yourself to handle a slightly taller low gear then you might find it pays dividends in expanding your capabilities a bit! After all, there's people running around everywhere on singlespeeds and they find a way to make it work with much harsher gearing.

Quote Originally Posted by stew325 View Post
    Considering a new bike. Not sure about going xx1 or shimano 2x11. Anyone gone to xx1 and regret it? I use my granny all the time 24x36 now, so not sure about switching. I've found some gear inch charts on here, and it doesn't seem that far off. curious about experience of others. will be used for o-cup, and kelso weekly race series, and trail riding.
    Nuke the entire site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.

That's not a W
    Jul 2008
    I really like XX1 for the simplicity. I always know what chain ring I'm in. One less thing to think about, which is especially nice because I now have a suspension lockout to play with.

I use a wee 28 chain ring which is a pretty easy front gear and the 28-42 is pretty much equivalent to my old 2X10 granny gearing. I would probably spin out on a flat road section if I was racing (28-11) but it's never an issue so far.

I only wanted easier gears once this year during Breck Epic, a ridiculously hard stage race, (so. much. climbing and altitude) but that was not a normal situation. I would also probably want harder gearing for something like Crank the Shield with a lot of road sections but then I'd probably throw on my 32 and be okay. Otherwise, for o-cups, kelso, and trail riding, xx1 has been perfect.

I should note most people use a 32 in the front. That's what mine came with. I like an easier gear in general, in fact I used to use a pretty easy gear (34-22) when I rode single speed. So take my 28 tooth rec with a grain of salt

Either way I say go for it, stew325!

Resident Redneck

xx1 for Ontario?

My ride is has X01 32 front and a 10 speed 11-36 rear set up which I'm very happy with.
    However I train at home all the time to pull that gearing for a 24 to 40km race.
    Think an xx1 will work very well since the rear has 42.
    With a little training you won't need the 42 at all.

mtbr member
    Thanks for all the advice guys. I've found myself using the granny gear mostly on lap three of o-cup. Usually not at kelso at all. I have to upgrade to expert at o-cup next year, so I need to step it up anyway. Was worried xx1 might be a step back with the loss of the granny gear crutch. Think I will give it a go and see. I was finding as this year went on, that the less i used the granny gear, the less I needed to use it. If that even makes sence.
    The Chopper Reid "Harden the f**k up", and "other people ride single speeds" from Circlip, and the positive encouragement from everybody was the push I needed. I guess it was what I really wanted to hear anyway! Thanks.

Last edited by stew325; 09-14-2014 at 12:42 PM.

mtbr member
    If you're fit enough to ride in the Expert class then you're fit enough for XX1. Just choose your chain ring wisely.

mtbr member
    I think XX1 would be perfect for Ontario. The riding is not that steep, so you can put on a bigger front chainring and benefit from a very good overall range.

mtbr member
    I don't really think I'm fit enough for expert, but I have just enough upgrade points that I have to move up next year.

Most of what I have ridden in Ontario is not overly steep I guess, and we definitely don't have the elevation you have in BC, but where I ride mostly (Waterdown), there are short steep climbs. A few of which, I guess I do still use the granny gear on.

mtbr member
    I ride 1x9, 11-34. I started with an XX1 crank with its off-the-shelf 32t front ring, and recently upgraded to a Rotor 34t up front. Mind you, I rode a singlespeed 34-18 for two years, so this feels like un-hardening.

My feeling is that if you find you need the granny on the third lap of a race, but not the first two, then you may have a pacing problem. I would get some data and have a hard look at your power output, lap times, or whatever other objective data you can get about your performance.

You may need to alter your pacing. Or perhaps you need to alter your training to work on sustaining your ability to output explosive power in the third lap. If that's the case, you may find yourself blowing the doors off of other riders sitting in the spin cycle.

mtbr member
    You're right on both points. Definitely need to step up the training. Maybe alter pacing also. Only real data I can get is lap times as I don't have a power meter.
    Thanks for your input everyone. It's appreciated.

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by limba View Post
    If you're fit enough to ride in the Expert class then you're fit enough for XX1. Just choose your chain ring wisely.
    And while gear charts and other type calculations can help to a point. But in the end if it doesn't feel right to you the rider the calculations are crapola.

mtbr member
    I like this bike gear calculator the best, if you haven't already been there.

BikeCalc.com - Speed at all Cadences for any Gear and Wheel

sock puppet
    i approve it. you need nothing more than 1x11 for Ontario.
    Signature

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by osokolo View Post
    i approve it. you need nothing more than 1x11 for Ontario.
    And can be done quite cheaply without buying a whole new set of cranks.

mtbr member
    So. What did you do?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TracksFromHell View Post
    So. What did you do?
    Haven't pulled the trigger yet, but will be going xx1.
    I've been riding my 2X10 in the 24-34, which I think is very close to 32-42, and think I can get away with it. If I need to , I'll go to a 30 tooth ring.
    Thanks everyone

humber river advocate
    i've run 1x11 30-42 all season on my dh/enduro bike. worked great for a mix of x1 and a raceface narrow wide. never dropped a chain and i could climb no problem for a 30lb 6" travel bike...

on my ht tail i'm running a 1x10 set up from OneUp Components Canada - OneUp Components CANADA once again no problems...
    broadcasting from
    "the vinyl basement"

build trail!

mtbr member
    Yeah I'm running the one up with a n/w on my enduro, but don't really hit the same climbs with that bike. Guess I could have swapped it over to the race bike to test, but neither bike has been idle long enough this year.

No. Just No.
    Yeah I'm running the one up with a n/w on my enduro, but don't really hit the same climbs with that bike. Guess I could have swapped it over to the race bike to test, but neither bike has been idle long enough this year.
    Testing gear ratios on a casual ride can be tricky, at least in trying to compare to application for race days. When out for a casual trail ride, I can kill climbs in gears that I couldn't touch in the middle of a race when I'm already partially fatigued prior to the climb and also have to get right back to jamming on the pedals after the climb, then rinse/lather/repeat this over and over again until the finish line. In other words, I'd use easier gearing for racing then I would for general trailing riding. I realize that may seem counterintuitive at first glance, but that's the way it works for me.
    Nuke the entire site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.

mtbr member
    Well, it was an easier decision for me. Coming from racing on single speed with 34:19, I had no problem buying a 1x11.

When I look at the range of 34:10x42, I don't even know what to do with all that gearing. But then I won't upgrade to expert even though I also had enough points to do.
    My rides:
    Lynskey Ti Pro29 SS
    RM Suzi Q 90 RSL
    KHS Team 29
    S-Works Roubaix
    KHS CX 550 cyclocross