Xmas Present Awesomeness Thread!- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 65 of 65
  1. #1
    Evil Jr.
    Reputation: garage monster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    6,859

    Xmas Present Awesomeness Thread!

    Yes, I know this could devolve into one of those "goal-driven" New Year's resolution threads but I thought I'd share a cool bike-related Xmas present I got from Mrs. Monster: The Feedzone Cookbook by Allen Lim.



    I also got a bottle of Scotch and a pair of cozy slippers but those aren't *as* bike-related.

    Anyone else get anything nifty?
    Last edited by garage monster; 01-03-2012 at 08:20 AM. Reason: typo!
    Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: secret agent's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    792
    On a food related front, my wife got the David Rocco cookbook. It has some awesome recipes that are relatively easy and lots tasty. Highly recommend it. She has already tried a couple with great success.

    I got a Giro Atmos helmet as a present along with lots of other non-bike related goodies.

  3. #3
    bi-winning
    Reputation: rkj__'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    11,108
    I got a cozy base layer, some wool socks, and a cool little bike shaped puzzle.



    Also, I put the little bit of Christmas cash I got towards some Shimano MW81 winter shoes, as my (mostly) gift to me.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

  4. #4
    Evil Jr.
    Reputation: garage monster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    6,859
    I forgot to mention that I also got an I/O Bio merino neck tube (tighter and longer than a ruff) - which I wore for about the first 10 minutes of the Dundas group ride. So warm!
    Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Thatshowiroll's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    1,639
    New bike computer with cadence and HRM.
    Also, a new pair of bibs... perfect for the Sausage Suit ITT.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    100
    I got a new riding buddy.. his name is Nate

    He is replacing my old riding buddy Endo


  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: tyh83's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    342
    i got a nice ornament, Santa riding a mountain bike
    a new bell, and some nice base layer stuff for the colder rides..
    also got to spend time with family and friends which was almost as nice as the ornament
    Team Van Go
    Santa Cruz Heckler
    Rocky Mountain Element 70
    Salsa Mukluk - Fat Bike!
    http://www.teamvango.ca

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    735
    Quote Originally Posted by garage monster View Post
    Yes, I know this could devolve into one of those "goal-driven" New Year's resolution threads but I thought I'd share a cool bike-related Xmas present I got from Mrs. Monster: The Feedzone Cookbook by Allen Lim.



    I also got a bottle of Scotch and a pair of cozy slippers but those aren't *as* bike-related.

    Anyone else get anything nifty?

    No bike-related stuff for me thjs year, but my awesome wife got me an acoustic guitar and my mom gave me a bottle of Lagavulin. We also got tickets to Roger Waters in Ottawa out of money our folks gave us.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    69
    Got some UU Baselayer pants and shirt + some money for Jenson so I ordered in some BB7's, a new saddle (bent the rails on my last one) some riding shorts and knee gaurds.

    Does Beer and Scotch count for bike stuff?

  10. #10
    namagomi
    Reputation: electrik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    2,884
    Quote Originally Posted by rkj__ View Post
    I got a cozy base layer, some wool socks, and a cool little bike shaped puzzle.



    Also, I put the little bit of Christmas cash I got towards some Shimano MW81 winter shoes, as my (mostly) gift to me.
    Nice, i am working towards the lake mx300 myself... damn booties and summer shoes just don't cut it. Plus they're too tight with heavier socks on so there is a lower limit!

    Excellent, my list of justifications is growing!

  11. #11
    No. Just No.
    Reputation: Circlip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    5,175
    Quote Originally Posted by electrik View Post
    Nice, i am working towards the lake mx300 myself... damn booties and summer shoes just don't cut it. Plus they're too tight with heavier socks on so there is a lower limit!
    I have never had a pair of MX300s on my feet or MW81s for that matter, but I do own a pair of MX200s and also Shimano MW80s. I'm there are are some refinements in the current generation of each but here's my rundown on the older generation of each;

    - Lakes seem intended to be warmer (more insulation) but even at an appropriately roomy size for my not-so-wide feet the toe boxes narrow noticeably more than the Shimano's such that the overall effect from less wiggle induced circulation was actually a colder feeling boot for what otherwise should have been the warmer Lakes. Not so apparent from a basic fitting, but quite obvious over long term usage.

    - Even with periodic application of Nikwax the Shimanos are more water resistant with their Goretex layer in the bootie, at least up to the neoprene cuff.

    - Aforementioned cuff is lower on the Shimanos. Can be both good or bad, depending on what level of warmth you want, and how deep a puddle you want to step in!

    - Shimanos aren't as bulky feeling and are lighter. The Lake are a lotta shoe for a clipless setup. Almost like neoprene booties over regular shoes albeit not subject to bunching. The Shimanos are much more streamlined and "nimble" feeling.

    - Wool felt, foil backed insoles of the Lakes are definitely warmer.

    - I really wanted to like the Lakes, but the narrower toe box was a deal breaker and I've stopped wearing mine in favour of the MW80s solely for that reason. If Lake hasn't increased the width of the toe box I wouldn't get another pair. Used to be nice to wear thinner socks in the Lake taking advantage of the extra built-in insulation, but now I just flip it around and wear thicker socks in the less insulated Shimanos. Also makes the Shimanos more versatile into the shoulder seasons.

  12. #12
    bi-winning
    Reputation: rkj__'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    11,108
    Quote Originally Posted by Circlip View Post
    Also makes the Shimanos more versatile into the shoulder seasons.
    I put off the purchase of winter shoes for a long time, in favour of just using the booties I got years ago, as a Christmas present actually.

    The booties are a little torn up now, and the straps that kept the toe down have failed. I did not want to invest in another pair of booties, so there was my motivation.

    One of the reasons I put off the purchase, was because I was not sure I would use them enough to justify the cost, as I often just use flat pedals in the winter. However, like you say, I anticipate being able to use them in above freezing temperatures in the spring and fall as well.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

  13. #13
    namagomi
    Reputation: electrik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    2,884
    Quote Originally Posted by Circlip View Post
    I have never had a pair of MX300s on my feet or MW81s for that matter, but I do own a pair of MX200s and also Shimano MW80s. I'm there are are some refinements in the current generation of each but here's my rundown on the older generation of each;

    - Lakes seem intended to be warmer (more insulation) but even at an appropriately roomy size for my not-so-wide feet the toe boxes narrow noticeably more than the Shimano's such that the overall effect from less wiggle induced circulation was actually a colder feeling boot for what otherwise should have been the warmer Lakes. Not so apparent from a basic fitting, but quite obvious over long term usage.

    - Even with periodic application of Nikwax the Shimanos are more water resistant with their Goretex layer in the bootie, at least up to the neoprene cuff.

    - Aforementioned cuff is lower on the Shimanos. Can be both good or bad, depending on what level of warmth you want, and how deep a puddle you want to step in!

    - Shimanos aren't as bulky feeling and are lighter. The Lake are a lotta shoe for a clipless setup. Almost like neoprene booties over regular shoes albeit not subject to bunching. The Shimanos are much more streamlined and "nimble" feeling.

    - Wool felt, foil backed insoles of the Lakes are definitely warmer.

    - I really wanted to like the Lakes, but the narrower toe box was a deal breaker and I've stopped wearing mine in favour of the MW80s solely for that reason. If Lake hasn't increased the width of the toe box I wouldn't get another pair. Used to be nice to wear thinner socks in the Lake taking advantage of the extra built-in insulation, but now I just flip it around and wear thicker socks in the less insulated Shimanos. Also makes the Shimanos more versatile into the shoulder seasons.
    I don't know when you tried on those Lakes, but they're offered now in wide and even double wide sizing. The Shimanos are about half the price if purchased online, but their is no option for wides that i've seen. I guess one can always purchase foil tape and do up the insoles. I haven't looked at weight or chunkiness though.

    The lakes may also have better insulation on the cleat interface.

    Do your feet get soggier in the shimanos? Sometimes a bother with the goretex stuff when you're not really running it in the rain on the other hand I hate applying nikwax and other DWR stuff, so unhealthy for you.

  14. #14
    Newbie
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    29
    X-King Supersonic tire, 17 bucks left over on the giftcard. Also some cash

  15. #15
    No. Just No.
    Reputation: Circlip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    5,175
    Quote Originally Posted by electrik View Post
    I don't know when you tried on those Lakes, but they're offered now in wide and even double wide sizing.
    My Lakes are about 11 years old! Can't recall if they had anything other than "standard" widths at the time for the MX200. Fit on the 300s could be wildly different for all I know with that many years under the bridge, so take my comments with a grain of salt. The 300s are no doubt improved in some other ways also. Or maybe just be advised that even if you have normal width feet check into the wider widths for better wiggle room.

    Quote Originally Posted by electrik View Post
    Do your feet get soggier in the shimanos? Sometimes a bother with the goretex stuff when you're not really running it in the rain
    That's what I was expecting. "Breathable" multi layer membranes work well for me in certain applications, but one has to be realistic with what amount of vapour transfer can be expected. However, I have been pleasantly surprised that my feet stay drier in the Shimanos. The Lakes the extra insulation plus what becomes an effectively sealed outer with the Nikwax seem less breathable in comparison. Unless you are going low enough with the temps to require a higher level of insulation altogether, I'm finding that with intelligent choice of socks I can manage the moisture level in the boots better with the Shimanos. Could also be the lower cuff of the Shimanos allowing a bit more circulation and escape of vapour.

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation: wankel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    612
    My wife spoiled me this year.


  17. #17
    No. Just No.
    Reputation: Circlip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    5,175
    Quote Originally Posted by wankel View Post
    My wife spoiled me this year.
    Ooh, aah. Purty and then some.

  18. #18
    bi-winning
    Reputation: rkj__'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    11,108
    Quote Originally Posted by wankel View Post
    My wife spoiled me this year.
    Your wife gets you a gorgeous chair, and instead of sitting in it, you use it to store your toys? How dare you!
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    265
    I got Specialized Burrough CX tires and fenders and a cycling vest! And I bought myself xc skis

  20. #20
    Team NFI
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    5,302
    Quote Originally Posted by electrik View Post
    Plus they're too tight with heavier socks on so there is a lower limit!
    The problem isn't so much whether it's a winter or non winter shoe it's the size. Why you really need a specific pair of cycling shoes for winter only as they need to be bigger then you take in summer firstly to accomodate winter wool socks. The other reason is simply when they are tight it's like applying a compression type bandage. It will start to restrict blood flow especially if you can't move your feet or toes a bit.

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation: wankel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    612
    Quote Originally Posted by rkj__ View Post
    Your wife gets you a gorgeous chair, and instead of sitting in it, you use it to store your toys? How dare you!
    What you don't see is the pile of kids toys on the floor I had to remove from the chair to make room for my frame! Unfortunately, it has now been relegated to the garage.

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    100
    Quote Originally Posted by rkj__ View Post
    Also, I put the little bit of Christmas cash I got towards some Shimano MW81 winter shoes, as my (mostly) gift to me.
    Nice.. I have the MW80s (previous generation). They are very waterproof and very comfy. I think you'll be happy with the 81s!

    Based on the pictures they look a little easier to put on which is my only real gripe with the 80s.

  23. #23
    namagomi
    Reputation: electrik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    2,884
    Quote Originally Posted by Circlip View Post
    My Lakes are about 11 years old! Can't recall if they had anything other than "standard" widths at the time for the MX200. Fit on the 300s could be wildly different for all I know with that many years under the bridge, so take my comments with a grain of salt. The 300s are no doubt improved in some other ways also. Or maybe just be advised that even if you have normal width feet check into the wider widths for better wiggle room.



    That's what I was expecting. "Breathable" multi layer membranes work well for me in certain applications, but one has to be realistic with what amount of vapour transfer can be expected. However, I have been pleasantly surprised that my feet stay drier in the Shimanos. The Lakes the extra insulation plus what becomes an effectively sealed outer with the Nikwax seem less breathable in comparison. Unless you are going low enough with the temps to require a higher level of insulation altogether, I'm finding that with intelligent choice of socks I can manage the moisture level in the boots better with the Shimanos. Could also be the lower cuff of the Shimanos allowing a bit more circulation and escape of vapour.
    I dunno, 11yr old lakes seems like a pretty good endorsement. Waterproofness is important also since commuting means trudging in the brown snotty slush that is usually at least up the the ankle... this is where booties fail badly, sometimes even snow will get packed up in them if i have to hike a bike.

    Quote Originally Posted by Enduramil View Post
    The problem isn't so much whether it's a winter or non winter shoe it's the size. Why you really need a specific pair of cycling shoes for winter only as they need to be bigger then you take in summer firstly to accomodate winter wool socks. The other reason is simply when they are tight it's like applying a compression type bandage. It will start to restrict blood flow especially if you can't move your feet or toes a bit.
    Yeah Endura, I thought about this. Sock wise provided the shoe isn't too small you can get really good milage. Circlip was sort of speaking about the same thing. Having the ability to alter the level of insulation in your shoe or even swap it out if it gets soaked is a good thing. Unfortunately what typically happy is my winter socks are just too big... spent last winter with only light socks on, since they're what fit in those shoes and it wasn't comfortable, but i was enjoying spinning in the loose snow too much and too cheap to buy another damn pair of riding shoes.

    About the compression stuff, i agree tight fitting socks probably not a good idea. I've also read that calve compression wear can actually improve venous blood flow in the lower leg I don't know if anybody has tried them actually on a bike, but it seems like that would help keep your lower legs warmer.

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Merdoff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    239
    I was pretty thrilled to open this. Going 2 x 10 & this is one less crazy expensive purchase I'll have to make Also received lots of Louis Garneau base layers/tights and a Giro merino wool hat.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Xmas Present Awesomeness Thread!-xmas2011_008.jpg  


  25. #25
    No. Just No.
    Reputation: Circlip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    5,175
    Quote Originally Posted by electrik View Post
    I dunno, 11yr old lakes seems like a pretty good endorsement. Waterproofness is important also since commuting means trudging in the brown snotty slush that is usually at least up the the ankle... this is where booties fail badly, sometimes even snow will get packed up in them if i have to hike a bike.
    Once you have a pair of proper winter riding shoes/boots you'll never go back to booties. For myself I'd allocate the money on a new pair of winter shoes (when required after these are worn out) before spending it on almost any other cycling gear or parts. I liked the Lakes, I am just liking the Shimanos a lot more. Personal preference rules though, especially on shoes and saddles.

    I'll dig out the Lakes which have been shelved for the past couple of years in favour of the Shimanos and slip them on again to refresh my thoughts. I'm now thinking that it may have been an issue of toe box height as much as toe box width, which may or may not be improved in the current wider widths that you mentioned Lake now offers. While the Shimanos are standard width, they are roomy where it counts most in a winter shoe, which is in the toe box.

    Quote Originally Posted by electrik View Post
    Sock wise provided the shoe isn't too small you can get really good milage. Circlip was sort of speaking about the same thing. Having the ability to alter the level of insulation in your shoe or even swap it out if it gets soaked is a good thing.
    This is where my needs may be a bit more west (wet) coast and a bit less Ontario, but the lower level of insulation in the shoe itself (that I can supplement or adjust with socks) is important so that I can use the shoes in temps above freezing during shoulder seasons, where feet can easily get frozen feeling not so much from the pure temps as from the combination of temps and rain/wet. That's just par for the course around here.

  26. #26
    mtbr member
    Reputation: serious's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    3,269
    I got 2 pairs of skis, a slalom race ski and an all-mountain ski. They do nothing for my bike riding, but they absolutely rip on the snow.
    My rides:
    Lynskey Ti Pro29 SS
    RM Suzi Q 90 RSL
    KHS Team 29
    S-Works Roubaix
    KHS CX 550 cyclocross

  27. #27
    Lemmy Rules!
    Reputation: Unglued's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    1,772
    All 9 Sufferfest training videos....
    Strava made me do it....

  28. #28
    Ms. Monster
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    1,812
    Snowshoes! Mr. Monster forgot to mention his... Now all we need is snow!

  29. #29
    Team NFI
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    5,302
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerdgirl View Post
    ... Now all we need is snow!
    Just got back from a ride and lunch with Ullr. He mentioned that according to the books the appropriate offfering has not been made in that region.

    For those not familiar with this.. the preferred method is a bonfire of old skiis.

  30. #30
    mtbr member
    Reputation: wankel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    612
    Perhaps the lack of snow is due to the absence of a new Wax and Waffles thread for 2011/12? Or is it pancakes again this year?

    We've got a little snow up north. But if this keeps up I might have to relegate my skis to "rock" duty next year.

  31. #31
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    369
    From my fiance:
    Maxxis Minion DHR and DHF 2.35 tires
    $100 gift cert to Cyclepath

    From myself:
    5.10 Karver (Chris Kovarick) shoes

    Now just waiting for the snow to melt and the skiers/boarders to vacate Blue

  32. #32
    Evil Jr.
    Reputation: garage monster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    6,859
    Quote Originally Posted by wankel View Post
    Perhaps the lack of snow is due to the absence of a new Wax and Waffles thread for 2011/12? Or is it pancakes again this year?

    We've got a little snow up north. But if this keeps up I might have to relegate my skis to "rock" duty next year.
    It's mostly the lack of snow but we did just get snowshoes (as mentioned below). I still have a pole sitting around that needs a new carbide tip...
    Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

  33. #33
    namagomi
    Reputation: electrik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    2,884
    Quote Originally Posted by rkj__ View Post
    I put off the purchase of winter shoes for a long time, in favour of just using the booties I got years ago, as a Christmas present actually.

    The booties are a little torn up now, and the straps that kept the toe down have failed. I did not want to invest in another pair of booties, so there was my motivation.

    One of the reasons I put off the purchase, was because I was not sure I would use them enough to justify the cost, as I often just use flat pedals in the winter. However, like you say, I anticipate being able to use them in above freezing temperatures in the spring and fall as well.
    Review: 2012 Shimano WM81 Winter Cycling Shoes - Bike Rumor

  34. #34
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ghettocruiser's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    1,646
    They suggest but don't elaborate on the MW81s having thicker insulation than the MW80s, so I'm left wondering how much warmer they are.

    Not that this winter has warranted more than I have.
    The above statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration

  35. #35
    namagomi
    Reputation: electrik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    2,884
    Quote Originally Posted by ghettocruiser View Post
    They suggest but don't elaborate on the MW81s having thicker insulation than the MW80s, so I'm left wondering how much warmer they are.

    Not that this winter has warranted more than I have.
    If the temperature trend holds, pretty soon we won't need any winter gear at all.

  36. #36
    Evil Jr.
    Reputation: garage monster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    6,859
    Didn't get that bottle of Scotch you wanted for Xmas? Not to worry, the LCBO is currently (this week only! ) offering Gledfiddich 15 Year Old (750 mL) at $10 off!
    Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

  37. #37
    Team NFI
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    5,302
    Fleece top from the parents.

    Money from the wife and Gabi got me...


    For myself..

    Chain guide





    Book on the legendary of battles..
    https://www.amazon.com/Iron-War-Scot.../dp/1934030775

  38. #38
    namagomi
    Reputation: electrik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    2,884
    Magicshine? Good value...

  39. #39
    Lemmy Rules!
    Reputation: Unglued's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    1,772
    Quote Originally Posted by electrik View Post
    Magicshine? Good value...
    You're aware the batteries burst into flames while charging, right?
    Strava made me do it....

  40. #40
    namagomi
    Reputation: electrik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    2,884
    Quote Originally Posted by Unglued View Post
    You're aware the batteries burst into flames while charging, right?
    Yeah, very aware actually... i forgot to write that he should charge it somewhere the flames won't burn his house down.

  41. #41
    No. Just No.
    Reputation: Circlip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    5,175
    Quote Originally Posted by Unglued View Post
    You're aware the batteries burst into flames while charging, right?
    Silly Unglued...

    That's an undocumented feature. With some practice you can hook up the battery and get out on your ride fast enough that the flames just add to the total lumen output of the light system. Not to mention that riding along while you or your equipment is on fire just looks plain cool. Win-win as far as I'm concerned.

  42. #42
    namagomi
    Reputation: electrik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    2,884
    Quote Originally Posted by Circlip View Post
    Silly Unglued...

    That's an undocumented feature. With some practice you can hook up the battery and get out on your ride fast enough that the flames just add to the total lumen output of the light system. Not to mention that riding along while you or your equipment is on fire just looks plain cool. Win-win as far as I'm concerned.

  43. #43
    No. Just No.
    Reputation: Circlip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    5,175
    I still have that kicking around my house somewhere. It's been so long since I've watched it I can't recall whether it's on DVD or (gasp!) VHS format though.

    Quote Originally Posted by electrik View Post

  44. #44
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ccaddy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    1,729
    Couldn't afford the Mtb I wanted so I got this instead
    Why are full carbon road bikes less then Mtb's
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Xmas Present Awesomeness Thread!-2012_fuji_gran-fondo_3.0.jpg  

    Last edited by ccaddy; 01-20-2012 at 08:20 PM.

  45. #45
    Over the bars...
    Reputation: egggman's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    483
    My wife got me Jenga... To keep me agile n stuff...

  46. #46
    bi-winning
    Reputation: rkj__'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    11,108
    Quote Originally Posted by ccaddy View Post
    Why are full carbon bikes less then Mtb's
    Why are hot dogs less than steaks?
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

  47. #47
    mtbr Decade+
    Reputation: Biggie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    1,543
    Quote Originally Posted by ccaddy View Post
    Couldn't afford the Mtb I wanted so I got this instead
    Why are full carbon bikes less then Mtb's
    Is that the newest Trek?
    "I love being on a bike. It helps me feel free. I get it from my dad", by Guillaume Blanchet

  48. #48
    bi-winning
    Reputation: rkj__'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    11,108
    Quote Originally Posted by Biggie View Post
    Is that the newest Trek?
    Does Trek make good bikes?
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

  49. #49
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ccaddy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    1,729
    There is four big letters on the down tube and fork .......

  50. #50
    Huckin' trails
    Reputation: David C's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    5,926
    I money which I used to renew my cellphone prepaid plan and used the $20 remaining for a set of SD 7 levers from Jenson.

    Plus my parents got me a Bluetooth wireless earphones set
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Xmas Present Awesomeness Thread!-imageuploadedbytapatalk1327117648.414780.jpg  

    Xmas Present Awesomeness Thread!-imageuploadedbytapatalk1327117756.980332.jpg  

    Xmas Present Awesomeness Thread!-imageuploadedbytapatalk1327117792.179310.jpg  

    Quote Originally Posted by NicoleB28 View Post
    topless. that's what all mtb girls do. we go ride, get topless, have pillow fights in the woods, scissor, then ride home!

  51. #51
    mtbr Decade+
    Reputation: Biggie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    1,543
    Quote Originally Posted by ccaddy View Post
    There is four big letters on the down tube and fork .......
    Oh, silly me, I also missed the brand name on there.
    "I love being on a bike. It helps me feel free. I get it from my dad", by Guillaume Blanchet

  52. #52
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    10

    Any feedback on the book?

    Quote Originally Posted by garage monster View Post
    Yes, I know this could devolve into one of those "goal-driven" New Year's resolution threads but I thought I'd share a cool bike-related Xmas present I got from Mrs. Monster: The Feedzone Cookbook by Allen Lim
    I saw it at the bookstore, and it looks like it might be good. Would love to hear your impressions.

  53. #53
    Evil Jr.
    Reputation: garage monster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    6,859
    Quote Originally Posted by brianai View Post
    I saw it at the bookstore, and it looks like it might be good. Would love to hear your impressions.
    My overall impression of the book so far is quite positive. As a cookbook, it is very simple and most of the concepts won't be unfamiliar to anyone who's been following the trajectory of writers like Donna Hay over the last decade or so. The recipes are all quick and easy to prepare and they use mostly common fresh ingredients.

    Where this book shines though is its focus on food in an athletic context. Sports nutrition is an ever-changing animal and the book does a great job of distilling down the latest best information without being boring. Best of all is the book's emphasis on REAL FOOD as a means to performance enhancement.

    So far, we've made the beet and goat cheese salad last weekend and the fish tacos last night. Tonight we're going to give the chimichurri over steaks with a beet and pasta salad a try.

    While it won't supplant Craig Claiborne's New York Times Cookbook as my go-to reference, this book will definitely be in the regular rotation this year.
    Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

  54. #54
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by garage monster View Post
    So far, we've made the beet and goat cheese salad last weekend and the fish tacos last night. Tonight we're going to give the chimichurri over steaks with a beet and pasta salad a try.
    You haven't tackled the rice cakes yet?? I'm most curious/afraid of those, yet I want to take a crack at them. I definitely like the emphasis on real food. Hmmm... might have to be my own guinea pig on those.

  55. #55
    Ms. Monster
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    1,812
    Quote Originally Posted by brianai View Post
    You haven't tackled the rice cakes yet?? I'm most curious/afraid of those, yet I want to take a crack at them. I definitely like the emphasis on real food. Hmmm... might have to be my own guinea pig on those.
    We haven't tried any of the "pocket food" yet (I certainly haven't needed any for the hour-long rides I've been managing between feeding Theo), but we've done the potatoes a few times in the past for long road rides with great success.

    A lot of the food seems targeted to making on the road - like at a training camp for example. Very simple. Tons of food with rice. Surprisingly simple stuff. He's super big on beets too.

  56. #56
    Evil Jr.
    Reputation: garage monster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    6,859
    Here's what the beet salad looks like (yes, it tastes yummy, ):



    Next up, the steaks are headed for the "a la plancha". Nom!
    Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

  57. #57
    Ms. Monster
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    1,812
    Quote Originally Posted by brianai View Post
    You haven't tackled the rice cakes yet?? I'm most curious/afraid of those, yet I want to take a crack at them. I definitely like the emphasis on real food. Hmmm... might have to be my own guinea pig on those.
    Sorry Briana - I was having a mommy brain gap moment.

    I actually did try the rice cakes when I did my 24 solo at Solstice. They tasted delicious, but it just wasn't what I wanted to eat during that kind of an effort. I actually ended up preferring cold pizza and perogies. I tried the potatoes for one of the marathons (or was it Crank?). Anyway, they just didn't digest fast enough to give me energy for the hard efforts (I was on a SS of course, so couldn't dial it back). On road rides though, the pace is more consistent, so they worked really well. I suspect the same would be true of the rice cakes.

    The dinner food seems catered to athletes who are just learning to cook for themselves. It's all simple, quick and nutritious, but not exactly challenging for a more experienced cook.

  58. #58
    Team NFI
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    5,302
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerdgirl View Post

    I tried the potatoes for one of the marathons (or was it Crank?). Anyway, they just didn't digest fast enough to give me energy for the hard efforts (I was on a SS of course, so couldn't dial it back). On road rides though, the pace is more consistent, so they worked really well. I suspect the same would be true of the rice cakes.


    Funny timing Kim. Just read the chapter in I'm Here to Win where Macca talks about his digestion issues at IM. How once the intensity went up he was running out of fuel despite doing everything that the experts told him should work. It was Stadler who told him to drink Coke. He did and finished. Then he went looking for why this happened.

    It is amazing how overlooked the area of digestion, calorie absorbtion, and blood flow is by the majority of age group athletes.
    Last edited by Enduramil; 01-26-2012 at 01:27 PM.

  59. #59
    Evil Jr.
    Reputation: garage monster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    6,859
    Quote Originally Posted by Enduramil View Post
    It is amazing how overlooked the area of digestion, calorie absorbtion, and blood flow is by the majority of age group athletes.
    Gotta keep an eye on the glycemic index of the things you're eating especially if it's an endurance event.
    Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

  60. #60
    Team NFI
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    5,302
    Quote Originally Posted by garage monster View Post
    Gotta keep an eye on the glycemic index of the things you're eating especially if it's an endurance event.
    Pretty simple methodology really. When the intensity is low you can take in things like maltodextrin. But when the intensity increases you gotta go simple.

    If you look at IM Hawaii which if you look at it is really a eating contest. It's on the bike when everyone scarfs down the complex carbs. Once the run or intensity goes up you ditch them for simple sugar. Funnily enough we where drinking that for years without paying attention or really thinking why. Who knew that Ensure could become a race fuel?

    One angle I never considered is looking at hydration as 2 different components. That being Plasma and Muscular Cellular level. But that goes completely against most thinking in endurance where we still pound back the fluids.. hydrate, hydrate, hydrate. Yet despite following this we still cramp..cramp.. fracking cramp.
    Last edited by Enduramil; 01-26-2012 at 02:43 PM.

  61. #61
    namagomi
    Reputation: electrik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    2,884
    Quote Originally Posted by garage monster View Post
    Gotta keep an eye on the glycemic index of the things you're eating especially if it's an endurance event.
    Yeah, the higher the better... the more calories you can get down the better you'll perform. Eat something like that pictured and you'd be in great form(for a nap). What you should be eating is about 7grams per kg worth of carbs the night before.

    maltodextrin(105) is ranking higher than glucose(100) on most glycemic indexes so no idea what Endura is talkin bout there, but I have seen people using ensure which is just loaded with the shit(sugar and maltodextrin).

    why are we even talking about this? Christmas has been over for a month!

  62. #62
    Team NFI
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    5,302
    Quote Originally Posted by electrik View Post
    Y

    maltodextrin(105) is ranking higher than glucose(100) on most glycemic indexes so no idea what Endura is talkin bout there, but I have seen people using ensure which is just loaded with the shit(sugar and maltodextrin).
    It's pretty simple really. The biggest factor in race fueling during events lasting 4 hours or more is... blood flow to the stomach. The higher the intensity the less blood the stomach has available to process and transport that fuel to your muscles.

    Now comes the fun part. So let us take simple sugar and divide it into 2 parts complex and non complex simple sugar. Maltodextrin is a complex simple sugar which means that it still takes alot of energy and blood flow to process into glucose fuel. Sounds great until you factor in your body is trying to get oxygen to hard working muscles.. glycogen and transport CO2 away from the muscles. So at a certain point during endurance events the stomach will no longer process complex simple sugar.

    Usually you see this later in the event with people complaining of stomach discomfort, bonking, and so on. But if you switch to a uncomplex simple sugar like found Coke it takes way less energy to process and way less blood. Simplest test is go for a 4 hour ride.. fuel the bare minimum you can and when you feel that " Gee... I have no energy and focus point".. drink some coke and see what happens. There is a reason you see it at every ultra marathon race distance.

  63. #63
    Huckin' trails
    Reputation: David C's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    5,926
    Quote Originally Posted by electrik View Post
    why are we even talking about this? Christmas has been over for a month!
    Man ! Don't do that !

    You just broke off all the magic
    Quote Originally Posted by NicoleB28 View Post
    topless. that's what all mtb girls do. we go ride, get topless, have pillow fights in the woods, scissor, then ride home!

  64. #64
    namagomi
    Reputation: electrik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    2,884
    Quote Originally Posted by Enduramil View Post
    It's pretty simple really. The biggest factor in race fueling during events lasting 4 hours or more is... blood flow to the stomach. The higher the intensity the less blood the stomach has available to process and transport that fuel to your muscles.

    Now comes the fun part. So let us take simple sugar and divide it into 2 parts complex and non complex simple sugar. Maltodextrin is a complex simple sugar which means that it still takes alot of energy and blood flow to process into glucose fuel. Sounds great until you factor in your body is trying to get oxygen to hard working muscles.. glycogen and transport CO2 away from the muscles. So at a certain point during endurance events the stomach will no longer process complex simple sugar.

    Usually you see this later in the event with people complaining of stomach discomfort, bonking, and so on. But if you switch to a uncomplex simple sugar like found Coke it takes way less energy to process and way less blood. Simplest test is go for a 4 hour ride.. fuel the bare minimum you can and when you feel that " Gee... I have no energy and focus point".. drink some coke and see what happens. There is a reason you see it at every ultra marathon race distance.
    Maltodextrin is broken down to dextrose in the same manner as the simple sugars and is rapidly absorbed, just like fructose which I believe is done with amylase. I don't disagree that digestion will be interrupted at some point during a strenuous event and if the person continues to force eat they'll end up shitting their bibs or puking allover. Coke is good, but it can still give you problems if your digestive system has said enough of this shit and grinds to a halt until you slow waay down. At about 90 minues into your 4hr test you run out of glucose stores from the liver - this is a good spot to bonk. Further down performance seems guided by how well you've carbo-loaded the muscles and even further down it comes down to how your body regulates blood sugar by eating enough and still keeping a competitive pace. Some people are better at this than others. I don't think it should surprise anybody that those who succeed at ulta-cycling events are those who can keep the furnace burning hot.

    Quote Originally Posted by David C View Post
    Man ! Don't do that !

    You just broke off all the magic
    Sorry dude! Uh, orthodox christmas hasn't been a month yet?

  65. #65
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ghettocruiser's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    1,646
    Quote Originally Posted by ccaddy View Post
    Why are full carbon road bikes less then Mtb's
    I've also heard roadies ask why full suspension mountain bikes cost less than Zipp wheels.
    The above statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration

Similar Threads

  1. Best Xmas present ever!
    By zmtthw in forum Intense
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-18-2011, 02:49 PM
  2. My Xmas Present
    By Scuderia in forum Ellsworth
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 07-29-2009, 08:55 PM
  3. 9.1kg Xmas present......
    By bernithebiker in forum Weight Weenies
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 12-24-2006, 03:51 AM
  4. Kind of Xmas present
    By poff in forum 29er Bikes
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 01-23-2006, 08:04 AM

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.