www.steelcityracing.ca- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2004

www.steelcityracing.ca

Myself and a bunch of locals from the Hamilton area are starting a racing team next season focusing primarily in the downhill discipline. We'll be hitting all the eastern Canada Cups, all Ontario Cup races and a few others (Plattekill, Q-cups).

The goal of our team is to support up-and-coming riders and introduce the sport of DH racing to newcomers (both men and woman).

Keep an eye on our website (www.steelcityracing.ca) for news about DH group rides at Blue Mountain and other happenings over the off-season.

If anyone in the Hamilton area is interested in trying a few DH races next year and/or would like a guided ride around the trails at Blue Mountain we would be more than happy to help you out (contact me at [email protected]).

When I started racing DH the whole endeavor was very overwhelming. Without the help of some very experienced riders I'm not sure I would have stuck with it. It is our plan to use our experience to help newcomers ease into the sport of DH racing.

Simon Hirota

[email protected]

rad to the power of sick
    Good work!

That kinda stuff is very important for the sport. I'd love to join, but my current ride has a lock out and 100mm of travel lol.

Im picking up a freeride hardtail next year so you never know, I might try out for the hardtail category!
    Some great sets for the trainer:
    https://www.mixcloud.com/djfeelgood/

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by trekracer8000
    Good work!

That kinda stuff is very important for the sport. I'd love to join, but my current ride has a lock out and 100mm of travel lol.

Im picking up a freeride hardtail next year so you never know, I might try out for the hardtail category!
    I'm hoping we can make the sport of DH grow in Ontario. The scene is way too much fun to be missed out on.

With respect to the hardtail issue. A couple years back there was a guy who raced in the hardtail category on a Gary Fisher XC hardtail with flatbar and XC components and he destroyed everyone, including many of us in the fully class. My wife started racing in the hardtail woman's open class on her Santa Cruz Chameleon with Black Super 100mm and V-brakes, so it can be done.

I would suggest that you try things out at Blue Mountain for a day. You could bring your bike or rent a bike for the day. Drop me an email if you're looking for a tour guide. I'll probably be up there every Saturday until it closes.

Simon

[email protected]

L.D
    My Legs Hurt
    Quote Originally Posted by trekracer8000
    Good work!

I ride Blue with my 100mm hardtail. Ive been there only two weekends so far and having a sweet time, and the bike is holding good too. Probably gonna head out tomorrow and monday as well. Eventually I wanna get into racing too, thats maybe a season or two away though.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by L.D
    I ride Blue with my 100mm hardtail. Ive been there only two weekends so far and having a sweet time, and the bike is holding good too. Probably gonna head out tomorrow and monday as well. Eventually I wanna get into racing too, thats maybe a season or two away though.
    LD,

If you are interested in racing you should try a couple of races next season. Kelso and Heights of Horseshoe are two good hardtail friendly courses. By-passes always exist to avoid very technical stuff too. I'll probably be at Blue tomorrow riding my Iron Horse SGS DH Pro with a green and white HJC moto lid and long hair out the back. If you see me come say hi.

Simon

L.D
    My Legs Hurt
    Quote Originally Posted by fatguysmiling
    LD,

If you are interested in racing you should try a couple of races next season. Kelso and Heights of Horseshoe are two good hardtail friendly courses. By-passes always exist to avoid very technical stuff too. I'll probably be at Blue tomorrow riding my Iron Horse SGS DH Pro with a green and white HJC moto lid and long hair out the back. If you see me come say hi.

Simon
    Hey Simon, I dont think I saw you there. I got there at about 2:30 and rode right until the power went out, then I sat around for about 30 mins and headed off.

Does Kelso or Horseshoe have a similar setup to Blue? I love riding Blue, but itd be nice if there was something like it closer to home.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by L.D
    Hey Simon, I dont think I saw you there. I got there at about 2:30 and rode right until the power went out, then I sat around for about 30 mins and headed off.

Does Kelso or Horseshoe have a similar setup to Blue? I love riding Blue, but itd be nice if there was something like it closer to home.
    LD,

I stayed local for the weekend and cleaned up my apartment and did a two-hour road ride instead. My brother and I will be heading up to Blue either Sat. or Sun. of next weekend. As for Kelso and Horseshoe...Kelso is mainly XC with some tech. stuff. You can however still ride the O-cup course from this season which starts at the lift area through the rock garden/drop. I also has a nice log gap too. Horseshoe is a race only venue. Stay in contact and if you'd like to race either Kelso or Horseshoe next season drop me an email. Additionally there will be a race at Blue in early October that you should consider. I believe they'll be using the Autobahn for the Blue Cup race. I'll be up there with the rest of the guys from our team. Where are you located??

Simon

[email protected]

L.D
    My Legs Hurt
    Quote Originally Posted by fatguysmiling
    LD,

I stayed local for the weekend and cleaned up my apartment and did a two-hour road ride instead. My brother and I will be heading up to Blue either Sat. or Sun. of next weekend. As for Kelso and Horseshoe...Kelso is mainly XC with some tech. stuff. You can however still ride the O-cup course from this season which starts at the lift area through the rock garden/drop. I also has a nice log gap too. Horseshoe is a race only venue. Stay in contact and if you'd like to race either Kelso or Horseshoe next season drop me an email. Additionally there will be a race at Blue in early October that you should consider. I believe they'll be using the Autobahn for the Blue Cup race. I'll be up there with the rest of the guys from our team. Where are you located??

Simon

[email protected]
    Im out in Brampton. Im not ready to race yet, still have a few things to learn/improve on, but maybe I'll come watch the race to see what the pace and course is like. I try to make it out to Blue almost every weekend now, so if I see you I'll come to introduce my self. I ride a Specialized Hardrock with either a rented full face helmet or a black Bell BMX helmet, until my full face Bell gets in.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Some of our team will be riding at Blue Mountain this weekend (Sat.). Also, we'll be racing the Blue Cup on Sat. Oct. 2. Should be a good time. Post up if anyone is interested in racing this event...

simon

Members who have read this thread: 0