would like info on Chippewa Rail Trail- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

would like info on Chippewa Rail Trail

I am looking for a ride up the east mountain, out Chippewa Rail Trail and over to Hamilton Brantford Rail trail, trying to stay off the road. I looked at a few trail maps and it looks like you ride out towards Caledonia but then on the road over to Cainsville or Jerseyville. Any other ideas?

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Cool, always wondered what that trail was that you can see at Dartnell and Stone Church.
    Off hand, doesn't look like it's worth the trouble - pretty brutal reviews and going to take a lot of road riding to get anywhere.
    I'd say you are right - you need to go across Sawmill or Baptist Church Rd or Big Creek and hook up with McBay to Cainsville.

mtbr member
    last year I had two near misses on the road bike. One was a guy that turned right when I was beside him, and the other was a guy going through a stop sign right at me and then wanted to fight when I looked at him. I am thinking of doing some 3-4 hour rides offroad on the 29er ridgid with maybe cx or knobbies mostly to burn up some calories and stay away from cars. I like the idea of a 50 - 75 km circle from south west Hamilton.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I agree, I don't much like driving a car with those other drivers on the road much less riding a bike.
    I always figure that living in Hamilton you don't need to road ride, other than early in the spring.
    Start at Scenic Drive on the west mountain and you can ride to Brantford or Cambridge or I gather even Port Dover without spending any real time on the road.
    Haven't tried the Port Dover trail yet but ride the rail trail to Brantford lots. After a long rail trail ride, that climb up through the Chedoke golf course is a killer.

mtbr member
    Living close to the lake in Mississauga, I have combined waterfront and Humber trail rides of 80 kM with maybe a couple of K's of road tops. I can do a loop of 128 Km if Iwanted to and think can push it close to 150. I have sacrificed the speed of the road and now do the bulk of my road bike riding on paved paths along the waterfront and Humber as mentioned. My brother moved to Kingston and he has tons of rail trail and has given up road altogether and does long rail trial rides. I'm with you Ol-crank, I like being on the streets less and less. I will be replacing the road bike with a cross bike when the time comes.
    Burnt Norton

****** to the dirt
    Quote Originally Posted by ol-crank View Post
    I am looking for a ride up the east mountain, out Chippewa Rail Trail and over to Hamilton Brantford Rail trail, trying to stay off the road. I looked at a few trail maps and it looks like you ride out towards Caledonia but then on the road over to Cainsville or Jerseyville. Any other ideas?
    If you zoom into the hamilton area, Explore the Trail: Discover the Trans Canada Trail with our interactive map ,I don't believe those two trails are connected yet. Chippewa Trail | Ontario Trails Council
    Quote Originally Posted by Optimus View Post
    There's some strange folk out there 'bouts. They have no sense of humor.
    My Blog

mtbr member
    I think I will start out at Stonechurch and ride it to the end and see what is there. I can still beetle across to the Hamilton-Brantford trail and come back through Dundas.

mtbr member
    on Saturday I rode up the escarpment rail trail, and across the man bridge over the Linc, and to stonechurch, right to dartnell and found the entrance to the Chippewa rail trail on the southwest corner, not much, just a little 2 foot wide gravel path up about 40 feet. The Chippewa rail trails runs from there to Caledonia maybe 18 km I guess but I only had time to ride out about 12 km. It is the usual, pretty flat, overgrown on both sides so is protected from the side wind and is the cinder gravel. Lots of farmers fields, corn and wheat, not challenging but will serve as an alternate to riding on the road. I am using the 29er ridged with small block eight 2.2 on the front, and kenda kosmic light 1.9 on the back so it is easy to ride at about 25 km - 30 km average. Good way to burn a few hundred calories and I could even wear a pair of buds as there were only 3 or 4 other riders on the trail.
    almost forgot, I am riding with drop bars, discs, and cx type of setup.