Worth it to equip my fat bike (Surly ICT) with 27.5+ and Bluto for summer?- Mtbr.com
    Some guy
    Jul 2007

Worth it to equip my fat bike (Surly ICT) with 27.5+ and Bluto for summer?

I know this is totally subjective, but wondering what people's thoughts are. I have a 27.5 FS XC/trail bike (Rocky Mountain Thunderbolt), but have been contemplating on buying a 27.5+ wheelset and a suspension fork to convert my Surly Ice Cream Truck into a serviceable 27.5+ hardtail for summer usage. It just kills me to see such a great frame sitting up in the rafters all summer un-enjoyed.

Sounds like a fantastic plan so far, yes? Except that it looks like this is going to cost the better part of $2000 ($900+ tax for a Bluto, and similar cost for a 150/197mm 27.5+ wheelset)!

Wondering what everybody thinks of the 27.5+ (or 29+ for that matter) standards for use in our usual South/Central Ontario riding (typically Durham Forest/Dagmar/Albion/Buckwallow, etc. for me). A bit concerned that it could be a waste of money.

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Is your ICT serviceable as-is? I just ride my Wednesday fat all year.

Some guy
    Jul 2007
    Not really. I have ridden it when my trail bike was in the shop, but it's an absolute hog. It has 4.8" tires and 100mm Clown Shoes. Great in snow but a pig on singletrack.

I'm leaning more now toward a 29+ setup since I think the 1-2" drop in BB height would be problematic with the wide cranks on the ICT (would be banging pedals all the time). Still not keen on the cost though .

mtbr member
    I have Carbon Beargrease I ride all year round. I have a set of Dillingers (4") and bigger Flowbeist and Dunderbeist (4.6) for different snow/ice conditions. The bigger tires are horrible on dirt and have a soul sucking rolling resistance. The Dillingers are quite nice and I have done some 30+ KM rides on them. I tend to ride the fat bike in more techy places in the summer though rather than Albion or Durham. I love my fatty at Buckwallow and Hilton Falls, and have enjoyed it at Kelso. I would not bother with a Bluto at first and would try different tires first, a new wheelset second. I don't know any faster fat tires apart from the Dillingers, but they have served me well. I have been considering a 29+ wheel set for years, but every time I ride the bike on dirt I think is just fine the way it is. If I could try a set of wheels, I might give it a go, but not willing to spend the money just to see.
    Burnt Norton

mtbr member
    I have my Farley set up as 29+ for the summer, but I don't have another bike.

My space is limited as is my ride time.....so it works for me.

In your case, I think this would be a "nice to have" rather than a necessity, but I think you would like it.

Bluto's can be had for a lot less than $900...they can be found for $425 USD, even less used.

Likewise wheelset's. Check Pinkbike or Fat bike Trader on facebook for deals.
    Mike
    Toronto, Canada
    2017 Trek Farley 9.6
    2017 Diamondback Haanjo Trail Carbon
    2016 Scott Solace 10 Disc

Some guy
    Jul 2007
    Appreciate the input. Agree that this is very much a 'nice to have' rather than a necessity. The question is, how 'nice'? . I could see it going either way (i.e. ICT 29+ becoming my favourite ride, or just a novelty that I only use when I need a 2nd bike).

And thanks for pointing me to that FB page! Never knew it existed!

donkey
    Did you end up going 27.5+ on your ICT? I'm considering getting a 27.5" wheelset for my ICT with 3" tires so I can go down to just one bike... I live in a small apartment and can't stable all the bikes I've accumulated over the years.

mtbr member
    Since I posted last, I have put a Bluto on my fat bike. It makes a huge difference for summer trail riding. Specially in techier terrain. For me it was a bit of a game changer. It has no negative impact on winter riding at all. I think it has improved it in some way, but can't quite put my finger on it. I have a bunch of bikes, so I don't intend on changing to another wheel set, but you never know. I would reach out to used bike forums like MTB parts finder or fatbike trader ontario to see about wheels. It's been pretty good this winter so far.
    Burnt Norton