Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Dec 2009

(Winter) Trail Conditions

Albion, Durham, Palgrave, Ravenshoe-These are the places I try to ride in the winter. I'll report on conditions when I'm out and would appreciate the same.
    I rode Ravenshoe Dec 10. All trails were well ridden and in great shape. No studs required.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    I know a bunch of the DMBA guys were supposed to be starting to groom Durham Forest this evening, check the DMBA facebook page as I'd imagine there would be a post on it.
    Somewhere lost in the Bush!

mtbr member
    Road at Albion yesterday. They have rolled the black section, however it's still really tough riding where you're sinking down 6 to 8 inches. Impossible to go in a straight line. Even the slightest downhill is treacherous. It was literally easier when it was just patterned ice last year if you can believe that.

Probably getting more snow soon, and I'll wait until the trail receives more attention before attempting another ride there.

Unrelated note - I believe their xc ski trails open sometime this weekend!

Anyone been to Puslinch or Hilton/Mohawk/Lynx/etc in the last day or so?
    ..now just tinker with our bikes and feed the cats. - oldbear52

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    There was a pretty good article written in the Durham Region News earlier today about the Global Fat Bike Day a couple weeks ago and it also went on and spoke of the grooming in Durham Forest. The wife and I will attempt riding Sat afternoon but we are both going to give some sweat equity in helping groom Sunday morning.

Here's the link: Link.

I'll update the conditions this weekend.

mtbr member
    I have heard from various people Durham is good to go. Hilton is good on a fattie.
    Check out the HAFTA.CA site. They rate conditions at the top of the page. You can also get feedback on FB page Defiant MTB.
    Burnt Norton

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Went for a ride at the AF tonight. Snow was deep (15-20 cm on top of hard packed snow from the previous storm on Sunday) but powdery. It was rideable on a fatbike, but miserable on a 2" tire.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Hey Guys - Dagmar Trails are now officially closed for the season. Here is the text from the DMBA message, this is also posted on the DMBA FB page and the website.

"The Dagmar mountain bike trails are now closed for the winter. Our friends, the Dagmar Ski Resort have exclusive use to the property over the winter months where they have some great cross country ski trails. Please respect the closure. This includes mountain biking, hiking and snowshoeing. Thank you. For some great fat biking - head up to Durham forest where there are some great trails groomed by the DMBA members."

Back to my words... I believe if caught using the trails without specific permission or cross country skiing through the Dagmar Resort you will be considered trespassing, this will also look bad on all other bikers.

Warp speed, Mr. Sulu!
    Palgrave Forest is unrideable as of today...we need a lot more snowshoes on the ground before it's worth bringing your bike in.

mtbr member
    I also wanted to point out that biking is not a permitted winter activity in Glen Major or Walker Woods forests according to signage, so please only stay in Durham forest.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Just back from a grooming session followed by a ride in DF. I think most of the single track around the main lot has now been groomed with at least 1 pass over. We are on 29+ bikes and the ride after was not too bad, but did have to walk some sections ironically that we groomed ourselves. At first I was dismayed thinking our 3" tires are not going to be successful and then noticed the other tracks and footprints of the person on the 4+" tire... this was only on Stone Soup, but the rest we managed fine.

I'm editing this post - this has been on my mind all night - having seen the prints from the guy with the 4+" tire (plus just hikers) we probably should have turned back and not ventured down the trail, but also not knowing why we he may have been walking at the time either. This has me thinking it is like riding while it is super muddy, it is an experience but not a great one for the trail. Lesson learned for me in the snow now.

(Winter) Trail Conditions-img_0187.jpg

Apparently falling in the snow does not hurt as much as when it is dirt!

(Winter) Trail Conditions-img_0191.jpg

Sorry... I tried to rotate the pic's but they still come out rotated...
    Last edited by osteo; 12-19-2016 at 05:02 AM. Reason: added text.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    I helped groom the trail at Durham today. Snowshoeing was exhausting work. DMBA should buy a snow groomer that can be towed behind a snow mobile. It would be much more efficient and pack down snow much better than by snowshoeing.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    They are ready for that, awaiting for the official license. This is what I heard ( I hope it is true). I groomed once this season, which was easy when comparing to those of last season.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails (Winter) Trail Conditions-groomtrail-2.jpg  

Looking for Adventure
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg_o View Post
    Road at Albion yesterday. They have rolled the black section, however it's still really tough riding where you're sinking down 6 to 8 inches. Impossible to go in a straight line. Even the slightest downhill is treacherous. It was literally easier when it was just patterned ice last year if you can believe that.

Probably getting more snow soon, and I'll wait until the trail receives more attention before attempting another ride there.

Unrelated note - I believe their xc ski trails open sometime this weekend!

Anyone been to Puslinch or Hilton/Mohawk/Lynx/etc in the last day or so?

XC skiing has started at Albion, and conditions are fabulous. Definitely more fun than fat biking right now!
    SUCCESS - To be able to spend life in your own way

Warp speed, Mr. Sulu!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ricksom View Post
    XC skiing has started at Albion, and conditions are fabulous. Definitely more fun than fat biking right now!
    Is the XC ski loop the same one that the fat bikes use?

mtbr member
    Apr 2005

Wild cat groomers

I really like this wild cat trail groomer. it is narrow enough to single track

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=62NC5Cok6Kc

Photo Gallery
    Last edited by Picard; 12-19-2016 at 12:44 PM. Reason: add link

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Durham saw some grooming love last night. Ogre & Out and Logs Over Easy had two passes of the tires and snowshoes. Maple Gravy and the Pines were done for the first time, they may be a little soft but the milder temps and some traffic should firm them up nicely.

While a mechanical groomer would be great some people are missing the point, human powered grooming accomplishes three things; One, it does get the job done. Maybe not as effectively as a machine but it does work. Two, it is a great workout, especially if you take a turn on the tire dragging. These workouts will pay off when fatbiking. Three, it is a social event. It is a great way to meet new people and have many laughs along the way. It gets us out in the woods and that is never a bad thing.

Oh, and time for a DMBA membership plug, if you are a DMBA member and you help out with the grooming you may win a 2017 Norco Bigfoot 6.2 fat bike.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Well, I feel like having a minor heart attack grooming the trail. I was breathing like a dying fish on land

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ricksom View Post
    Yep went yesterday it was great.

Headed over to the fat bike trail and it appears to have received a fair bit of foot and bike traffic. Will bring the bike there today and report back.

Quote Originally Posted by Pucker Factor View Post
    Is the XC ski loop the same one that the fat bikes use?
    No the xc ski loops are the regular green, yellow, blue and red trails starting at the chalet.

The fatbike area is off the north east parking lot, it is the double track loops in the Epic Ride, Handle with Care, High Roller and Hot August Nights area. (of course the single track isn't technically open.. .)

EDIT actually this specific area is their old/now defunct skate skiing loop if that helps.

Warp speed, Mr. Sulu!
    Yep went yesterday it was great.

Headed over to the fat bike trail and it appears to have received a fair bit of foot and bike traffic. Will bring the bike there today and report back.

No the xc ski loops are the regular green, yellow, blue and red trails starting at the chalet.

The fatbike area is off the north east parking lot, it is the double track loops in the Epic Ride, Handle with Care, High Roller and Hot August Nights area. (of course the single track isn't technically open.. .)

EDIT actually this specific area is their old/now defunct skate skiing loop if that helps.
    Thanks for the info, and yeah, I'd love an update on the conditions when you get back...the Albion Hills web site fails to provide useful trail conditions info.

mtbr member
    Don't get me started on their website..

Just got back, and that fatbike trail is still pretty deep and greasy. Has received a lot of traffic but it's still not enough. Hate to say it but it was just not enjoyable.

Crappy given the fact that they have the grooming equipment sitting there.

Warp speed, Mr. Sulu!
    Thanks for the update!

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Braids View Post
    I also wanted to point out that biking is not a permitted winter activity in Glen Major or Walker Woods forests according to signage, so please only stay in Durham forest.
    What about snow shoeing?

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I have sent off a couple of emails to clarify what is allowed in EDH (Glen Major/Walker Woods).

I would be surprised if snow shoeing is not officially permitted though as it is essentially hiking with bigger feet.

9 lives
    More snow...

F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikhs View Post
    I have sent off a couple of emails to clarify what is allowed in EDH (Glen Major/Walker Woods).

I would be surprised if snow shoeing is not officially permitted though as it is essentially hiking with bigger feet.
    According to the response I received both snow shoeing and fat biking are allowed in EDH, (Glen Major/Walker Woods). The TRCA, the land managers, do request that all walkers, riders and snow shoers stay off any track sets that cross country skiiers have created. Sounds reasonable to me.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    According to the response I received both snow shoeing and fat biking are allowed in EDH, (Glen Major/Walker Woods). The TRCA, the land managers, do request that all walkers, riders and snow shoers stay off any track sets that cross country skiiers have created. Sounds reasonable to me.
    Thanks Mikhs.
    D

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    A message from Terry from the DMBA, if your thinking in heading to DF tomorrow(Boxjng Day) with the reported rain and warm temps the trails will get ruined and rutted.

I'm pasting the FB post:

Durham Mountain Biking Association
    3 hrs ·
    I'm pleased to report that the trails in Durham Forest are amazing for fat bike riding right now. That isn't a fluke. That's what 130+ hours of volunteer grooming gets you.
    This can be totally trashed by impatience. Tomorrow, it is forecasted to be 9 degrees with 10-15 mm of rain. That weather will make the trails into soup that will show every tire print or foot print. The following day is supposed to be freezing and we'll be back having fun on our trails.
    Please stay off of wet/slushy trails, so that we can preserve the smooth trail bed.
    Thanks,
    Terry

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Thanks osteo for the update.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Thanks osteo for the update.
    No problem - by next weekend it should all be frozen again.
    D

mtbr member
    Hydrocut Trails today tweeted this out:

"Once again it is Fat Bike nirvana at The HydroCut! Trails are packed down and fast. Dagmar, Creepy, Bootleg, Adam's, Sweet Street,Jake's Attack and Breakaway, Dead Camel, Jessica all great. Twister is rideable but not as sweet as the others. Enjoy!!!"

Anyone been to Albion ,Palgrave or Puslinch in the last day or two?

Warp speed, Mr. Sulu!
    Was at Palgrave this afternoon. Conditions are definitely improving with more and more of the singletrack getting traffic. The new snow has not completely bonded to the lower icy layers but being careful with braking and steering should get you through most of it. Climbs are still a bit loose in places.

mtbr member
    ^^ Appreciated!

mtbr member
    Was at the Mohawk side of Hilton/Mohawk/Wandering Lynx etc today. Double track hasn't seen much traffic but the single track has. With the temps today it was pretty slippery lots of exposed wet rocks. Tough riding.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Just back from a ride up at Durham Forest, the folks out grooming have been doing a fantastic job (the DMBA rocks!!). I know they had a group of 15 last night do some of the trails as well which we rode and they were stellar.

All told we probably did 8k worth of riding most of that was single track and I imagine everything else is groomed and packed like what we were on. The double track was also packed and in some sections had 2 tracks, I'd expect walkers and more cross country skiers now (which we saw) on the double track.

So, DF trail conditions are pretty firm pack groomed trails as you can see in the pic. We were on 29+ bikes (3" aired down to 4psi) if we were sinking we would have aborted.

(Winter) Trail Conditions-img_03052.jpg

Clearly I am having an issue adding pictures. I put up my image and it rotated it in the process, fixed it (twice) and the 3rd attempt it kept it vertical but seems the first 2 attempts are attached and I can't delete them...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails (Winter) Trail Conditions-img_0205.jpg  

(Winter) Trail Conditions-img_02052.jpg  

Warp speed, Mr. Sulu!
    Just got back from Palgrave. Most of the singletrack is in really good shape and the traction with this packing snow is unbelievable. More snow is falling so conditions might have changed by the time you get out there.

mtbr member
    Was told today the fat bike loop at Albion is bumpy but pretty decent. Will hopefully go tomorrow and report back.

For the skiers Albion is prime at the moment.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    As much as DF was awesome over the weekend, that may possibly change by tomorrow for the next couple days. Pasted from the DMBA FB page:

The trails this morning in Durham Forest were frozen and perfect, thanks to the 90 man/woman hours of grooming time put in Friday night and Sunday morning. Unfortunately, some mild weather is coming starting this afternoon with 20 mm of rain forecasted for Tuesday. By Thursday, hopefully, the trails will once again be frozen. Please stay off of single track trails until at least Thursday. It only takes the selfish acts of a few people to destroy the trails until the next major snow. Thanks for your patience. Please share this post. Terry Sinclair

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by osteo View Post
    Unfortunately, some mild weather is coming starting this afternoon with 20 mm of rain forecasted for Tuesday.
    That's a shame. I was hoping we'd be spared by the January thaw we usually see.

Albion was damn near perfect today, and with the mild temps the snow was just incredibly grippy. Like full on no brakes on the downhills grippy. First 'enjoyable' ride on the fatty this season.

mtbr member
    Loree forest near Collingwood was perfect on Saturday. I managed to get in a 12 Km ride
    Mike
    Toronto, Canada
    2017 Trek Farley 9.6
    2017 Diamondback Haanjo Trail Carbon
    2016 Scott Solace 10 Disc

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Weather is cold again. I will try my first fattie bike

mtbr member
    Was really surprised at how good Albion was today. Went expecting the worse (all their xc ski trails are currently closed due to poor conditions).

Bit icy in spots very mostly smooth and well packed. Really thought the thaw then a full day of rain would have done more damage.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Durham forest trails are good. It is packed down with snow. Parking lot is covered in ice. Some parts of trail has ice but if one ride slowly then it is passible

Moderator Moderator
    Sep 2003
    Anyone have an update for Albion Hills? Any insight into what it will be like for the fat tire festival this weekend?

Sent from my HTC Desire 320 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    I'm in the same boat. Tonight is the deadline to register..

Was a bit slick the other day, then we got warmer temps and all that rain.

If I can break away I'll head over this afternoon and report back. (of course I'll be riding on the fatbike (black) trail, and I believe the race will be held on the chalet side so won't necessarily be the most accurate way to measure conditions..)

EDIT to add on the TRCA site it says the xc ski trails are still closed which is somewhat ominous.

Moderator Moderator
    Sep 2003
    I'm in the same boat. Tonight is the deadline to register..

Was a bit slick the other day, then we got warmer temps and all that rain.

If I can break away I'll head over this afternoon and report back. (of course I'll be riding on the fatbike (black) trail, and I believe the race will be held on the chalet side so won't necessarily be the most accurate way to measure conditions..)

EDIT to add on the TRCA site it says the xc ski trails are still closed which is somewhat ominous.
    Let me know what you find out. If its anything like down here its going to be crap for the next week or so by the looks of it, albeit I am 2 hours south of Albion.

mtbr member
    Well, got to the gate and was turned around due to downed trees from high winds last night.

Went up the road to Palgrave and it was pretty poor there. Lots of ice predictably, and what I assume was packed snow is now really heavy moist stuff that was not fun having to power through.

That said the Superfly guys were at Albion today packing down the trails for the race. Hopefully their work today with stands what ever rain we're expecting over the next day and a bit.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Well, I have an entry kicking around if anyone decides to go last minute and wants to be called Christine! my wife is sick and has decided even if she is somewhat better probably not wise to stand outside or race for a couple hours in the cold.

D

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Thx all for the updates for Albion, planning to be there on Saturday with friends, kids. Just hope it won't be all an ice rink...only Plus and skinny tires here.
    2019 Yeti SB100
    2016 Transition Smuggler

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    For the Fat Festival this weekend, Sean just emailed out the newsletter. he is suggesting spikes might be beneficial in some areas but not necessary. I'm also on a 29+ and haven't screwed my tires!

see below, from the newsletter;

Trail Conditions:

The ever-present January thaw has come and gone, and Albion has weathered the storm quite well!
    Corey, Orco and I were snowshoe packing the singletrack yesterday, and the doubletrack should be
    A mix of granular with some icey patches – spiked tires would be a good idea, but don’t despair, there
    Is a lot of snow at Albion and the Albion Staff and I will be working hard on the course tomorrow!

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Thanks again, looking forward to it!
    Newsletter, is that the Superfly Racing newsletter? Thought I was signed up for it
    2019 Yeti SB100
    2016 Transition Smuggler

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by mevnet View Post
    Thanks again, looking forward to it!
    Newsletter, is that the Superfly Racing newsletter? Thought I was signed up for it
    Not really, that is the pre-registered newsletter for the event this weekend, not his normal newsletter for his series.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Back from the Fat Fest at Albion (someone will probably not like that title, haha!!) and Sean and Co. did a good job with the trails especially considering the warmth we had. They groomed them by snowshoeing but after they finished someone went and walked through the race course and put holes. Wasn't too bad though, and if you are on a suspension Fattie you probably wouldn't even notice. Ice in a coupe sections on the double track but you have plenty of time to see it and take a wide line around. I didn't have spikes (29+) and no issues what-so-ever.

Just received a notice from the DMBA that DF is perfect trail conditions, I'm going tomorrow!

mtbr member
    Yeah that was a fun morning. Couldn't believe the size of the turn out. Easily doubled in size from last years.

mtbr member
    Rode the newly marked fat bike loop at Hilton/Mohawk/Agreement/Wandering Lynx/... today. Was icy in spots but overall pretty good. The first 500 ft or so are insanely slippery but it gets better the farther out you go.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Durham forest is slushy.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Terry just posted on the DMBA FP page with a pic that the trails are slushy (as Picard above mentions) and to please stay off. In the picture you can see the holes from someone walking through the soft snow.

I think it is supposed to hit +8C on Sat a good temperature to ride, just not on any trails around here.

D

mtbr member
    Dufferin Forest Trail update (Jan 24th). We had our grooming team (11 folks on snowshoes!)*out yesterday to reset the snow on the single track.* Half the group did and out and back on the "stick" and the other half made their way to the "pop" of the lollypop. The stick is completely done and all*but maybe the last 700m of the pop is done as well.
    Once it drops below zero again, these trails should be again in*excellent condition.* Taylor is planning on a late week grooming of the 9km TVGFBL. The loggers are still busy in there and have taken some of the*trail down to dirt. Hopefully it won't ice up too much.* We'll see.
    If you give it a go and are leaving ruts, please wait until it freezes or we will have a frozen rut trail...no fun
    Enjoy your time out there!
    S.C. Heckler
    S.C. Blur xc
    Surly Necromancer
    team van go

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    I'm tempted to create a thread for this... As some of you may know they have decided to do more logging in DF. As before the affected areas will be blocked off with the orange snow fencing, please do not cross the fence. I have had people tell me they have crossed to check it out, not smart at all and from what I understand the workers stop working if they see anyone which just delays the process.

The DMBA FB page has the info, but I've copied and am pasting it here, which includes a blurb from Tom H as well as the letter from the Landowners, worth reading.

From our friends at the Lake Simcoe Region Conservation Authority
    Note I spoke with Cory from the LSRCA today. LSRCA staff have instructed the contractor performing the logging to minimize trail impact as much as possible. The DMBA will schedule trail cleanup/rehabilitation days once the harvesting is completed and the weather permits.
    There will be some permanent trail closures in the center of the south west section (part of a designated wildlife habitat), and opportunity for a new south east connector to the Skyloft property.
    Stay tuned for updates, or even better, come out to the DMBA planning session on February 26 and help plan builds, trail maintenance and more!
    https://www.facebook.com/events/206120136520632/
    -Tom Hanrahan
    Hello
    As part of ongoing forest management activities at Durham Regional Forest, sections of the Main Tract will be closed to the public between January 30th and March 31st, 2017. The Main Tract is located between Concession 7 and Lakeridge Road, south of Goodwood Road, in Uxbridge Township.
    The affected areas will include the following:
    - “The Maze” (section of trail);
    - “The Pines” (entire trail);
    - “Maple Gravy” (entire trail);
    - Various single-track trails intersecting the “Red Oak”.
    In addition to the closures, certain sections of the “Red Oak” and “White Pine” trails will be used as an active forestry haul route. Recreational users should expect to encounter machinery and industrial traffic at all times of the day. The haul route remains open to the public, but extra caution is advised if using these trails.
    Forest management has been occurring in the Main Tract since these plantations were established in the 1920’s, with the long-term goal of restoring natural forest conditions. This operation is the next step in the ongoing evolution of the property from abandoned blow sands to healthy forest cover. All revenues generated by the harvest are reinvested back into the ongoing management and development of the forest and trails at Durham Regional Forest.
    During the harvesting period, trails will be closed with temporary fencing and informational signage. Members of the public will be asked to stay out of the affected areas for their own safety and the safety of the forest operators and LSRCA staff. The closures will be monitored by LSRCA staff throughout the harvesting period.
    Trails will be reopened once the harvest period is complete. To ensure safety, it is expected that all affected trails will remain closed throughout the entire period between January 30th and March 31st, 2017.
    A copy of our Public Service Announcement and a map of the affected area is attached for your information. Please feel free to share this email and the PSA and direct any questions to LSRCA.

mtbr member
    Finally some cooler weather - any recent trail reports?

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    I rode through Durham Forest yesterday - started at the main lot then basically due south to the Bell Tower. At the time it was lightly snowing and trails were a base of ice with a dusting of snow. No spikes/studs in my tires and I was fine and as my ride was a road ride home I had high pressure (29+ tires).

I'm sure with studs they would be fine. There are signs in DF asking people to stay off the trails is slushy so hopefully the single track is fairly smooth.

D

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Rode the eastern portion of the Agreement Forest on Monday night. Trails were in excellent shape. A bit icy and slick in spots, but firm. Traditionally wet spots were flooded and iced over, as to be expected. With the small amount of snow and continuing cold we are expecting in the next few days the conditions should only get better. Get out there!
    (Winter) Trail Conditions-img_0087.jpg(Winter) Trail Conditions-img_0098.jpg(Winter) Trail Conditions-img_0108.jpg(Winter) Trail Conditions-img_0109.jpg(Winter) Trail Conditions-img_0110.jpg

mtbr member
    ^^ Fantastic, thanks, hoping to get out there tomorrow.

(not sure if I'd ride that log in the best conditions, let alone in the snow!)

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    I scoped the log, but bailed. Too old for taking risks like that. It was icy and slick. I occasionally summon the nerve the ride it in the summer, but less frequently since I crashed in there and face-planted on a rock. It hurt, and I don't care to relive the experience.

mtbr member
    ^ No shame in that.

Hilton today was fantastic. Didn't encounter any ice, and the single track I rode was packed down perfectly. Not enough snow for %100 coverage so bigger and "nuisance' rocks are exposed but everything is real grippy.

mtbr member
    Any chance of getting a report for Pretty River/ 3 Stages? ...

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Just back from Durham Forest - trails are in prime condition! small amount of snow on top, perfect traction I gotta check my split times on some of those trails as I gotta be close to when it is dry, or at least it feels like it!

I know the DMBA are in there right now grooming, but unless they are doing new trails not quite sure what they will do.

The logging has commenced and sections are closed. Some of the double track is now a road as that is what the logging company used to get their equipment to their set up area.
    D

mtbr member
    West side of Mohawk / Hilton / Agreement / Wandering Lynx / etc is great. A bit icey by the parking lot but fantastic snow once you get going.

mtbr member
    Albion is closed due to poor trail conditions
    Friends don't let friends cheer for the TML

mtbr member
    Not going to be a surprise to anyone but Hilton is pretty icey. Some trees down and debris on the trails from the recent freezing rain.

Some fresh snow falling this afternoon but temps are going back up above freezing tomorrow.

The northern most parking lot on 6 is sheer ice. Watched a beefy looking pick up truck slide into the ditch today.

Warp speed, Mr. Sulu!
    Anyone been in Palgrave this week?

mtbr member
    Any chance of getting a report for Pretty River/ 3 Stages? ...
    I rode my fat bike at 3 stage on Saturday and there was a ton of snow. great conditions for the fat bike though
    Mike
    Toronto, Canada
    2017 Trek Farley 9.6

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Any know how turkey point is doing? Do they have much snow down there?

Moderator Moderator
    Sep 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by afalts View Post
    Any know how turkey point is doing? Do they have much snow down there?
    No snow. Trails are ICE right now. Might be okay to ride Sunday if we get the forecasted high temps on Friday / Saturday.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Thanks. If you wouldn't mind updating here if you thought it was rideable Sunday or Monday, that'd be awesome.

Moderator Moderator
    Sep 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by afalts View Post
    Thanks. If you wouldn't mind updating here if you thought it was rideable Sunday or Monday, that'd be awesome.
    Will do. I'm going to be riding Sunday and will likely check out the trails at TP saturday afternoon and report back if they are rideable or not.

mtbr member
    Hilton was great today. The single track I did mainly in the more northern spots are really smooth. You could ride a road bike in there! Some ice but it's textured from traffic so it's not too slippery.

Too bad we're thawing again.

Moderator Moderator
    Sep 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikin' Bric View Post
    Will do. I'm going to be riding Sunday and will likely check out the trails at TP saturday afternoon and report back if they are rideable or not.
    Just took a look at TP. Still lots of ice and muck in the woods. Not ideal but rideable.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikin' Bric View Post
    Just took a look at TP. Still lots of ice and muck in the woods. Not ideal but rideable.
    Appreciated. This 'winter'..

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Swerny View Post
    I rode my fat bike at 3 stage on Saturday and there was a ton of snow. great conditions for the fat bike though
    what a difference a week makes.

I rode Sat and Sun in Lorree Forest near Collingwood and it's getting very thin in spots...the forecast doesn't look promising either.

It was spring skiing conditions all weekend.
    Mike
    Toronto, Canada
    2017 Trek Farley 9.6

mtbr member
    ^^ Hey off topic but is Lorree forest still basically a single loop? I swear I heard somewhere that there's a few more trails with in or connecting to Lorree.

Muskoka

Winter 2017

With (probably) record breaking snowfall this winter in Muskoka and lots of time spent skiing and bush whacking on Altia Hoks, the prime fatbike riding is coming on...

https://goo.gl/photos/zvkCm2tECDWh5qBx8
    https://get.google.com/albumarchive/...127?source=pwa

RSD Bikes "The Mayor"
    Rocky Mountain Sherpa Overland

9 lives
    ^ gorgeous pics! Yup Muskoka has way more snow than here in Caledon
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

Warp speed, Mr. Sulu!
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackCanoeDog View Post
    With (probably) record breaking snowfall this winter in Muskoka and lots of time spent skiing and bush whacking on Altia Hoks, the prime fatbike riding is coming on...

^^^^^^ This guy....living the dream.
    As always, stunning pics BCD. Thanks for sharing!

mtbr member
    ^^ Hey off topic but is Lorree forest still basically a single loop? I swear I heard somewhere that there's a few more trails with in or connecting to Lorree.
    there's the standard loop with the wide trail down the middle.

There are additional branches off the main loop on either ends as well.
    Mike
    Toronto, Canada
    2017 Trek Farley 9.6

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Swerny View Post
    there's the standard loop with the wide trail down the middle.

There are additional branches off the main loop on either ends as well.
    thanks

mtbr member
    Hey Bric can I assume Turkey Point is a write off this weekend?

Moderator Moderator
    Sep 2003
    Hey Bric can I assume Turkey Point is a write off this weekend?
    Last three days were great. We had a ton of rain last night and its supposed to keep raining a bit all morning. I imagine that the trails will be pretty slick in spots.

mtbr member
    Lucky! Thank you. GTA has been a sloppy mess this past week. We've had this ridiculous pattern of moist weather. Warm days but freezing over night. Trails don't stand a chance of thawing enough to dry..

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackCanoeDog View Post

I've been looking at those skiis..

Curious, which bindings and footwear are you using with them?

Muskoka
    Quote Originally Posted by Canadmos View Post
    I've been looking at those skiis..

Curious, which bindings and footwear are you using with them?
    https://goo.gl/photos/qkYaVrkfqzvi6qzk6

I'm using the Universal Binding that is supplied by Altai Skis and just wear my do everything winter boots. It's a good quality binding and works well for what it is. For boots this year I have Keen Summit County, which is an awesome comfy, warm boot and I could spend all day outside hiking in these with very happy feet!!! However as a ski boot I did prefer the Merrel Chamelion Thermo 8 that I had before these. They are stiffer, so give better support and ski control. Unfortunately the Merrells have developed small cracks and are no longer water proof. Also the trade mark toe cap on the Keens does not fit the binding as well as Merrells did. Not a huge issue but the difference from previous years is noticeable. I am on the 125 cm long Hoks and I think this is a good combo for the terrain that I am skiing/bush whacking ...the kind of terrain where one would otherwise probably snow shoe in rather than BC ski. For more open terrain and longer downhills I would consider the longer version ( 145 cm) for more of a ski DNA experience. The floatation for both is excellent btw, weight and size are not the determining factor as much as terrain. Although if one is much over 200lb probably consider the 145 cm length for floatation too, I weigh 160lb. These are pre-drilled with inserts for 3 pin back country ski bindings if you choose to go that way and use a BC ski boot...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ui6zHVH674g

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MUirLBXSS_0

Altai Hoks do best in powder, and not very good on hard pack.
    Last edited by BlackCanoeDog; 02-26-2017 at 01:20 PM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Some discussion in this thread:
    Starting at post 45 http://forums.mtbr.com/eastern-canad...ne-937930.html

Muskoka
    Quote Originally Posted by Pucker Factor View Post
    ^^^^^^ This guy....living the dream.
    As always, stunning pics BCD. Thanks for sharing!
    Thanks! My dog for sure has it good lol!

RSD Bikes "The Mayor"

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    So I'm thinking with no real precipitation in the forecast and below zero temps, Turkey Point should be good by Saturday? Sunny and zero.

mtbr member
    Well, good news is Hilton was frozen enough to ride today, and *should* be good over the weekend.

The bad news is with zero snow Hilton is quite difficult again lol.

mtbr member
    Puslinch is a mix of bare frozen ground to maybe a half cm of snow in other spots. Ridable today but some spots were getting soft from the sun just after noon.

mtbr member
    And here we are, another full week of uncooperative warmer temperatures in the GTA.

Muskoka

current Muskoka snowpack

today's ride...

RSD Bikes "The Mayor"

9 lives
    Nice pics BCD!

Here in Caledon, along the Humber River, there are some small patches of snow in the forest, trails were starting to turn muddy by this afternoon ... frost is also leaving the ground
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    A quote from an internal email from Green Durham to the DMBA and others, last names have been removed:

"John, Liz, Bob (who was on the trails in Walker Woods and North Walker today) and I agree that it is time to close the trails. They are a bad mix of muddy and icy and hopefully the dry warmer weather of the last part of this week will help defrost and dry them out.

It will take me a couple of days and I really don’t have enough signs to put up at every entrance (I have about 11-12 but I will use some just general trail closed signs as well) but I will try and close the core lands tomorrow and North Walker and Wilder on Wednesday. Walker Woods, Glenmajor Forest, North Walker and Wilder will be closed by the weekend. I will be speaking with Michael and the other equestrian centers.

Please let the members of your organizations know and ask for their compliance. I suspect they will be closed for about 2 weeks.
    "

Dennis

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Brown Hill aka 'Ravenshoe' closed January until Spring 2018.

http://www.york.ca/wps/wcm/connect/y...df?MOD=AJPERES

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast