Wild Animals- Mtbr.com

Thread: Wild Animals

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Wild Animals

What a week. The dr finally gave me a break and is allowing me to do some bike to blow off pent up energy before the next surgery...so of course i got on the bike as soon as possible

Saw a baby fawn this week right at the edge of the trail. Such a cute lil guy and the mothewr was no where to be seen. Of course i did not try to apoproach it as it was already scared it seemed and trying to hide behind a fern

Today on the way back from a 50K ride i came acrossa porcupine...... I think IMBA says he has right of way on the trail....lol. I gave him lots and lots of space...no need to be plucking those needles from my body

Amazing the wildlife we come across while on the trail

rad to the power of sick

Interesting story...

About 2 years ago I was riding on some local gravel paths at around 30k/h as i went around a turn, there was a squirrel who was just to the right of where my wheel was to eventually roll. Instead of moving to the right, the closest to safety, it decided to take the long way home. It actually jumped into my spokes, got stuck and went around and smacked itself on my fork leg and fell out quite promptly. Startled, I stopped to see if it was ok, but within 3 seconds of it being hit, it got up and ran into the forest.

The wheels were Rolf Satellites which have 9 spoke pairs, leaving plenty of space for the squirrel to jump. Considering that the squirrels body had taken the paint of my z5 bomber Im surprised it didnt get knocked out right then and there.

Any other similar experiences?
    Some great sets for the trainer:
    https://www.mixcloud.com/djfeelgood/

Jan 2004

All the time

Quote Originally Posted by skihillguy
    What a week. The dr finally gave me a break and is allowing me to do some bike to blow off pent up energy before the next surgery...so of course i got on the bike as soon as possible

Saw a baby fawn this week right at the edge of the trail. Such a cute lil guy and the mothewr was no where to be seen. Of course i did not try to apoproach it as it was already scared it seemed and trying to hide behind a fern

Today on the way back from a 50K ride i came acrossa porcupine...... I think IMBA says he has right of way on the trail....lol. I gave him lots and lots of space...no need to be plucking those needles from my body

Amazing the wildlife we come across while on the trail
    I live rural and see wild animals all the time.

I can't remember the number of times I have almost hit a skunk or porcupine, while riding.

I see deer almost every ride. I even see them in groups.

I see deer around the house all the time without even going riding. Heck, they are eating my lilacs and cedars, in the front and back yards. My neighbour on one side has given up on gardening and my neighbour on the other side just erected a big 8 foot deer proof garden fence. They come and stare inside and try to figure out the fence.

One of my buddies told me he has invented a new game, chase the deer.

Hmmm.

I don't approve of chasing deer on a mountain bike. It seems cruel to me. They are already frightened of people. I am in no hurry to frighten them away from the area altogether.

We are encroaching on their habitat and should be prepared to at least try to co-exist.

If they want to eat my cedars or lilacs, I don't mind. They only eat up to about four or five feet from the ground. Above that, they don't touch.

I have started waving hello and talking to the deer. It seems to confused them, and makes them forget they are afraid.

They usually run at first sight. Then they slow and look back briefly, when they hear me talking to them. I wave and keep talking. They seem willing to stand and listen, until I stop talking. Then they move on more slowly or watch me pass, seemingly less frightened. Of course, I speak in friendly comforting tones.

I just say a bunch of nonsense. "Hey there dude. How's it going? Are you having a good day? See ya round."

They haven't started talking back yet. If they do, it may be time to seek professional help.

old_dude
    Last edited by old_dude; 06-08-2004 at 07:51 AM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

SkiHillGuy - a question for you

Sorry to post off-topic...but SkiHillGuy - I remember a post where you mentioned you live in Collingwood and I was wondering what you know about Tyrolean Village Resorts? I'm staying there with the wife, another couple and their 2 young kids (yes...birth control for the wife and I) and I was wondering what it's like.

Don't know if I'm going to fit the bike in the car with the other stuff up there, but I may just go back for a weekend with my wife another time.

Thx.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by noonievut
    Sorry to post off-topic...but SkiHillGuy - I remember a post where you mentioned you live in Collingwood and I was wondering what you know about Tyrolean Village Resorts? I'm staying there with the wife, another couple and their 2 young kids (yes...birth control for the wife and I) and I was wondering what it's like.

Don't know if I'm going to fit the bike in the car with the other stuff up there, but I may just go back for a weekend with my wife another time.

Thx.
    Tyrolean village resorts is ok...its a series of chalets within walking distance of the village. Yes there is always something happening in the village. The georgian trail isn't too far away and alweays nice for a good ride along.
    Bring the bike you never know....Lorree forest isn't too far away...blue mtn is open..... 3 stages isn't too far away

Crank monkey

I've had a few encounters...

I have a 4" long scar in the back of my right calf where my chainring did a little digging. I was coming around a corner on some singletrack, trying to get used to my new clipless pedals, only to see a skunk's little rosebud staring me in the face, his tail in the air, about 5' away. I panic stopped, tried to back up and fell over, since I couldn't unclip my left foot. The big ring hit my leg, spun, and made a mess. The skunk slowly walked away, with his tail still in the air, watching me as I slowly crawled away. Once the skunk was about 15' into the woods, I barked at him a few times, and he hit the burners and left. I continued up the trail.

The next summer, I was riding along some double track near the campground in Petawawa (they don't call it black bear beach for nothing!), when 3 little fuzzy black bears went running across the trail, maybe 50' in front of me. I stopped, and turned around (quickly) and went back up the trail about 100', looking for mama bear. When I stopped and looked back, she was in the middle of the trail where I had turned around, looking at me. I made some noise and yelled, and she took off into the woods. I waited a few minutes, then kept riding. The next day, I dug my bear bells out of my camping gear, and put them on my seatpost. Seems to work OK so far - I haven't seen any bears up close since then.

Not too long after that, I was dismounting just before a rickety little stream crossing (not enough confidence to ride a bunch of boards with nails sticking out) when one of the bushes beside my foot started to move. It was a porcupine, about 2' away. Scared the bejeesus outta me. Luckily, he didn't take a swipe at me with his tail. He took off in the opposite direction, and I watched him go before I carried on.

Those are the only close encounters I've had. I've seen loads of deer, a coyote, a couple of foxes, and countless bunny rabbits. Since I put the bear bells on, I don't see as many big animals, but I don't really mind. I'd hate to really piss off a mama bear.
    Cheers,
    Smytty

bi-winning

Wildlife

Last week on a ride in Fireman's park i saw some kind of really big bird on the trail. I am no wildlife expert, so i dont know what it was. It could fly though. Maybe somekinda turkey or something, i really dont have much of a clue i have seen a handfull of deer as well, lots of bunnies and chipmunks, squirels, frogs, and other ordinary stuff. No bears, no wolves.

I have spotted moose in the wild as well. That was really cool. It was on a canoe trip in Algonquin Provincial Park. We got fairly close, and it did not seem to care too much.

Mar 2004
    I haven't seen that much wildlife on my rides, other than the small slugs I find splattered onto the frame, and glued to my tires.. (and I still feel bad)
    Oh, wait I have seen a flock of wild turkey's once.. totally unexpected.. pretty cool.. OH and I've seen some deer... I spooked them as I came riding... But as for bear or anything, I've never come across one.. and I don't think I'd like to... although they are fascinating animals...
    That's cool about the moose.... never seen one, but have been told they are quite amazing.. Wildlife rocks...!! (well, until it gets into your garbage )

b_r

Jun 2004
    Some deer. Some bunnies. A racoon or 2. Some fancy birds of designation unknown to me.

President, CEO of Earth
    Saw four moose at one time - looking down off a clif into a feild.

Was riding once with my dog and slowed when I saw another big dog up ahead. "Whoa! Thats a big dog! Big black dog! Hmmmm.... It doesn't appear to have a tail ... oh crap its a bear!"

My friend was riding in the Ottawa region once and saw what he described as "the biggest, meanest PORCUPINE in all of Eastern Ontario" He sped away, afraid the porcupine would chase him. I don't know who ever told him porcupines are dangerous, but he sure was scared.