Who's an Asshat?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2010

Who's an Asshat?

If you happen to be one of the fatbikers (or hikers) who thought it might be nice to take advantage of the near tropical temperatures earlier this week and go for a ride (or hike) in Palgrave Forest, then you are!

I can't for the life of me figure out whether you're too stupid to realize that the tracks you leave will render the trails essentially unusable for everyone who follows once the temperatures drop back below the freezing mark, or whether you're just too self centred to care.

There are now frozen tire tracks deeper than they are wide (and they're from 4+ inch tires) everywhere that the sun reaches on the trails, and they'll be there for weeks to come.

It's really a pretty simple equation. If the tracks you leave are deeper than the knobs on your tires, then you should turn around and go home!

mtbr member
    Its a universal problem that EVERYONE who tries to keep groomed winter trails experiences. I think it's a combination of people who don't know and/or don't care. They want to enjoy the outdoors and the after effects are secondary.

I'm currently living out in BC, and we have some trails that get groomed and are pretty far out there. Yet I still regularly see knee deep post holes 3km and 300m up the side of a mountain. How you could ever enjoy punching through pretty much every step for an over an hour uphill is beyond me, but it happens constantly. Fortunately the local fat biking community seems pretty good and I haven't seen much grooming damage from them.

It's frustrating and likely something that will never be completely solved, especially in public areas where the public has easy access and denying access during less than ideal conditions is not really feasible. In Frederiction, they actually 'close' the trails they groom when the temps rise (signs and roped off entry). Still people duck them.
    Straight outta Rossland

humber river advocate
    Palgrave is a public multi-use forest. Hikers can be in there anytime. It is not a private groomed trail, nor are there restrictions of use if the snow is soft. If you want a smooth surface to ride on go to Albion Hills or join a private club with restricted trail access. Anyway, so what if there are snow ruts. It will improve your technical skills. I'm glad people are out there enjoying the trails. Don't be an asshat and complain about it.
    broadcasting from
    "the vinyl basement"

build trail!

EAT MORE GRIME
    harden up.

we all gotta eat everyone elses tracks.

too tough for ya ? lol

imho
    only an asshat if they molested groomed paid-for trails, or made mud ruts. mud ruts are a no no everywhere, and unless it is paid for groomed ski trails, riding snow and making frozen slush ruts is part of the game. you should have been out there with them, helping widen the slush ruts if it rustled yer jimmies so much
    Last edited by 127.0.0.1; 02-19-2018 at 11:43 AM.
    "Put your seatbelt back on or get out and sit in the middle of that circle of death." - Johnny Scoot

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by singlesprocket View Post
    Palgrave is a public multi-use forest. Hikers can be in there anytime. It is not a private groomed trail, nor are there restrictions of use if the snow is soft. If you want a smooth surface to ride on go to Albion Hills or join a private club with restricted trail access. Anyway, so what if there are snow ruts. It will improve your technical skills. I'm glad people are out there enjoying the trails. Don't be an asshat and complain about it.
    i agree.

If someone had ruined groomed trails that would be a legitmate complaint.

Or if this was mud riding rather than snow.

But public multi-use forest?

I rode Lorree forest on the weekend and it was a rutted, post holed mess after an adventure race had been through there.

C'est la vie. I rode Saturday and went back for more on Sunday
    Mike
    Toronto, Canada
    2017 Trek Farley 9.6
    2017 Diamondback Haanjo Trail Carbon
    2016 Scott Solace 10 Disc

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Not looking for groomed trails, just rideable ones. Can't do Albion because I don't ride a fat bike. These ruts would have made walking virtually undoable. And if it had stayed cold I'd still have ridden it again the next day. My concern is that the people who treat the trails like this when they're snowy are exactly the same ones who do it when they are soft and muddy as well (or do you think that's OK too?)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Swerny View Post
    i agree.

If someone had ruined groomed trails that would be a legitmate complaint.

Or if this was mud riding rather than snow.

But public multi-use forest?

I rode Lorree forest on the weekend and it was a rutted, post holed mess after an adventure race had been through there.

C'est la vie. I rode Saturday and went back for more on Sunday
    Quote Originally Posted by flash4092 View Post
    Not looking for groomed trails, just rideable ones. Can't do Albion because I don't ride a fat bike. These ruts would have made walking virtually undoable. And if it had stayed cold I'd still have ridden it again the next day. My concern is that the people who treat the trails like this when they're snowy are exactly the same ones who do it when they are soft and muddy as well (or do you think that's OK too?)
    no, riding in mud isn't cool, i already said it would be a legitimate complaint.

And also no, i don't ride muddy trails, but I may ride soft snow, multi-use trails.
    Mike
    Toronto, Canada
    2017 Trek Farley 9.6
    2017 Diamondback Haanjo Trail Carbon
    2016 Scott Solace 10 Disc

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    No surprise, these same riders (or their genetically challenged cousins) have been in both Albion and Palgrave of late when it was thawing, leaving their signature muddy ruts (which have now frozen solid again and will undoubtedly last until about June once they dry out and set).

If you've got that little regard for the trails, the other users, and the people who make/maintain them in the first place, I respectfully ask that you take up road riding exclusively and permanently. I promise we won't miss you!

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Stick to the gravel / back roads for a few more weeks. It will be worth it.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    He most likely drives a BMW, almost all asshats do!
    "By Your Command"

9 lives
    Quote Originally Posted by pucked up View Post
    He most likely drives a BMW, almost all asshats do!
    Coincidentally, yesterday we spotted a beamer driver pulled over downtown T.O. Cop was running a thorough check on this guy, who looked squirmy... maybe he had dodgy plates?

Who's an Asshat?-29512350_2082138872030553_5063711525753783466_n.jpg
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclelicious View Post
    Coincidentally, yesterday we spotted a beamer driver pulled over downtown T.O. Cop was running a thorough check on this guy, who looked squirmy... maybe he had dodgy plates?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	29512350_2082138872030553_5063711525753783466_n.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	129.6 KB 
ID:	1189394
    On his way to my neighbourhood to buy an expensive cottage.

2008 Trek Fuel EX 8
    Apsley, Ontario, Canada

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Is Palgrave rideable now?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SC4ME View Post
    Is Palgrave rideable now?
    Good question. I'd like to know too.

Up, Up, and Away!
    As of Saturday, no, not yet.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    The Caledon Cycling Club will be doing trail maintenance at Palgrave on Saturday the 5th and things should be good to go at that point. Albion is opening for Saturday as well as far as I know.

mtbr member
    Anymore trail reports out there? Palgrave, Albion, or where ever else?

Actually, I could imagine a lot of trees down after that wind storm...

Up, Up, and Away!
    Albion is temporarily closed due to fallen trees.

Sent from my G8142 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    The single track is in pretty good shape at Palgrave as of Sunday the 6th. There are still a number of trees down but they've largely been limbed to make it easy enough to get over. I'd avoid the North end along Finnerty though as there are still some very wet sections there.

mtbr member
    Rode Palgrave today. All Good!
    Friends don't let friends cheer for the TML

mtbr member
    Thanks for all the reports.