Who raced parisancaster?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Who raced parisancaster?

Raced at parisancaster, on the singlespeed ( a good choice) muddy sections and a nice thunderstorm just before the start of the race, Lots o fun! Seen a few other SS's out there and lots of cross bikes and mountainbikes with slicks, made for a fun ride I'm sure. Not sure how I placed, but I finished around 2~1/2 hours and had fun, next week northern knarley charlie race!

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Vernon VernDog
    Raced at parisancaster, on the singlespeed ( a good choice) muddy sections and a nice thunderstorm just before the start of the race, Lots o fun! Seen a few other SS's out there and lots of cross bikes and mountainbikes with slicks, made for a fun ride I'm sure. Not sure how I placed, but I finished around 2~1/2 hours and had fun, next week northern knarley charlie race!
    I was there! Almost backed out when I saw that wicked lightening. Been struck before and it wasn't much fun. Didn't bother warming up, just jumped in line and away I went. It was my first 60kms ever and I think I was the 14 woman to get through the finish line. Made it all the way up that last killer hill without getting off so I was happy about that. Did it in 3:05. Oh well, I'll do better next year! The long muddy sections sucked big time. I found it much harder to bike through and walk through, then the stuff at the Icebreaker. I have a feeling the trails are going to be pretty slick at the Gnarly Charly this coming weekend.

Mar 2004

I was there and backed out

I was suppose to do the 30km race but backed out cause I know the trails really well in there...I also went down the muddy hill towards the end of the race on Friday and I just knew it would be really bad after all that rain we had. I also didn't want to have to go through another hour and half clean my bike after the race. That would have been three races in a row that I would of had to do that. We did the Lake to Lake and the Squeezer last year and they were both mud baths. I'll probably do the race next year as long as I know the weather is going to be good...

Jan 2004

Paris-Ancaster race and Boler

Hey Vern, what gear did you run? I did the race on my SS as well and got 11th overall at 3:09. Anywhere near 2:30 is fantastic! I'm very satisfied with my time as I was running a 32x18 gear and was spinning out much of the paved sections. Cool feeling to pass all those NRS's and Litespeed's on our singles eh?

I'm planning on running the Boler races this year on my SS and will be going to the season opener next Sunday. Vern, I've seen you write that you used to/still do the Boler races, are you going to this year as well?

DobeManSS

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Gearing..

Quote Originally Posted by DobeManSS
    Hey Vern, what gear did you run? I did the race on my SS as well and got 11th overall at 3:09. Anywhere near 2:30 is fantastic! I'm very satisfied with my time as I was running a 32x18 gear and was spinning out much of the paved sections. Cool feeling to pass all those NRS's and Litespeed's on our singles eh?

I'm planning on running the Boler races this year on my SS and will be going to the season opener next Sunday. Vern, I've seen you write that you used to/still do the Boler races, are you going to this year as well?

DobeManSS
    I was using a higher than normal singlespeed gearing (46 x 16) which was perfect on the road/rail trail stuff, a little tough in the mud and long climbs, using bar ends on the bike really helped with the climbs, and not having to worry about chainsuck or skipping was well worth it! I usually do the boler series on the ss and also run a rohloff internal gear hub as well, Lots o fun

sock puppet

that was one nasty race...

Quote Originally Posted by Vernon VernDog
    i ran out of water and started cramping like crazy at 45km mark... barely finished #222. took me 2:40...

Cant wait till the next year. The feeling when i saw the finish line was priceless...

sock puppet

where and when is Gnarly Charly?

Quote Originally Posted by racergurl
    I was there! Almost backed out when I saw that wicked lightening. Been struck before and it wasn't much fun. Didn't bother warming up, just jumped in line and away I went. It was my first 60kms ever and I think I was the 14 woman to get through the finish line. Made it all the way up that last killer hill without getting off so I was happy about that. Did it in 3:05. Oh well, I'll do better next year! The long muddy sections sucked big time. I found it much harder to bike through and walk through, then the stuff at the Icebreaker. I have a feeling the trails are going to be pretty slick at the Gnarly Charly this coming weekend.
    website maybe?

thx

sock puppet

found it...

Quote Originally Posted by osokolo
    website maybe?

thx
    can i register on site??? it is unclear from the official page...

mtbr member

Paris Ancaster

I was supposed to ride the 60km but when that one massive bolt of lightening hit the TV tower just to the left of the registration tent and then the hail started, I decided to back out. I couldn't afford to get sick and I didn't really want to destroy my bike either.

Oh well, maybe next year!

Dan

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by osokolo
    can i register on site??? it is unclear from the official page...
    The website for the Gnarly Charly is www.bikenxs.com

You can't register on the site. Have to print out the form and mail it in or drop it off somewhere (Ajax, I think) or just register the morning of the race.