Where's best for a week on the East Coast?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2004

New question here. Where's best for a week on the East Coast?

hi all you Canuck bikers,

i've been checking your banter (uk for chat) and still can't work out where the best place to have a week's holiday in quebec-or-ontario would be.

so far the options would seem to be....

blue mountain area (collingwood?)

mt otford (where is this?)

bromont

mt st tremblant

Now I'll be over with 2 ladies and another guy - and we need biking to suit, so some good technical xc for all of us and some scarey sh*t for the ladies

All of the above areas seem to have this but which would be best - oh and cheapest! The ski resorts seem much more expensive to rent a chalet/cottage whatever.

We are all buzzing in anticipation for our trip, so you better give us the right advice

big thanks
    Last edited by acjim; 10-07-2004 at 01:46 AM. Reason: ooops typo

They say I have a problem
    I guess it depends on the type of riding you are looking for and the skill sets of the riders....

Let us know and we can try and give you a bit of direction...

Rich
    "The meek shall inherit the earth"

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Define what you are looking for a little better...

Bromont is a very good small DH mountain resort with lifts but they will be closing mid-end of October, this is Canada, we will get snow soon!!! There is some technical trail riding within 1-2h drive from Bromont, Glen, Coaticook in Quebec and Catamount, SleepyHollow, Kingdom trails in Vermont.

Mont St-Anne is also a DH mountain resort near Quebec city. They have world XC and DH bike competitions every year. Again some technical trail riding spots all around. Scenery is very nice there, bigger mountains, the St-Lawrence river.

Tremblant is a ski mountain resort and they don't have DH trails anymore. There is some XC riding all around. The village is very "tourist" attractive with all sorts of small shops and restaurants.

I'm not overly familiar with Ontario since I've been there only once. BlueMountain is a small ski resort and they offer some very nice DH trails with lift I think. There is a lot of XC riding spots all around within a few hours of driving.

Bottom line, tell us a little more what you are looking for and maybe we'll have more info for you. However, if you plan on coming to Canada now, it is not the greatest timing, we are going into winter soon, there is always some nice days in October but some days can also be quite chilly (5 to 10 celcius). November is usually cold and wet, December, well it's time to get the skis out!

Hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by acjim

i've been checking your banter (uk for chat) and still can't work out where the best place to have a week's holiday in quebec-or-ontario would be.

bromont

mt st tremblant

Now I'll be over with 2 ladies and another guy - and we need biking to suit, so some good technical xc for all of us and some scarey sh*t for the ladies

All of the above areas seem to have this but which would be best - oh and cheapest! The ski resorts seem much more expensive to rent a chalet/cottage whatever.

We are all buzzing in anticipation for our trip, so you better give us the right advice

big thanks

Mar 2004

Options for you, mate

I'm heading to Bromont, Quebec this weekend. If you love riding, any style, this is a fantastic "everything" place to go. It's very well designed with a love for mountain bikes and bikers, and it's cheap. I take the lift and DH - FR there, but a lot of what I ride hits some of the miles and miles of XC trails as well...I haven't even scratched all the trails there. You will not be disapointed, nor will the ladies. A few hotels in the $100 CAN/night range, right next to the base of the hill. Go to www.bromontbiking.com for links. Also there's condos which are cheaper than Blue Mountain here in Ontario. And as well, Montreal is an awesome city to stay and visit and party in if that's your speed. Canada's 2nd oldest city and it's 30 min from Bromont.
    As for Ontario, Blue Mountain sounds great these days...I haven't been in years, but It looks like they've really stepped up for riders in the summer. I live in Toronto and there's plenty of wicked XC and FR trails all within an hour less or more from downtown. You'll have to get a book of knowledge from a local (good) shop if you come here.
    Halibuton Forest, a private tract of land in north-east Ontario, has trails developed for mountain biking, and you can camp there or rent a lodge. It's a serious rugged place, but the landscape is outstanding, and you'll become a better rider overnight.
    One thing to remember is that it gets cold here now if you're coming soon. Bromont and Blue are closing this weekend for lift-assisted riding. Maybe they are open for XC and general trail access til snow hits, call first. Otherwise if you're planning for next year, the people on this thread have much knowledge. That's it, I'm too stoked on Bromont, I'm logging off! Enjoy Canada
    Gabe

bromont

mt st tremblant

big thanks

mtbr member
    Oct 2004

Skills?

Thanks for your quick responses people - especially about mt st tremblant as that was high on the list!

Skill wise, all four of us can ride most things XC, the 2 guys ride DH/FR too. It's a tough thing to state but I guess the guys are advanced (drops/some jumping etc) and the girls are intermediate (steep roll ins, off cambers, singletrack etc) but quick learners, and we'll all be bringing armour. I'd really like to get the ladies on some big hire Norcos with full faces so they could experience that awesome DH vibe.

So far Bromont sounds like the place to be, but it doesn't look that mountainous, does that not matter?

oh and btw, we're planning on visiting next July! I know how cold canada gets in winter time!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Well, if you compare it to the Alps... haha

I guess Bromont would be a very good choice for you. It's a small hill compared to the Alps of the Rocky Mountains out west of Canada.

However, for mountain biking you don't necessarily need huge mountains. Bromont should give you plenty of challenge but just don't expect great scenery, there are a few small mountains all around but it's all small stuff.

Hope you like rocks and roots because Bromont is full of it. Some trails are very technical. If you want to do some technical singletrack on some days, you have Coaticook and Glen that are within 45 min of Bromont. In Vermont, you also have KingdomTrails (about 1h from Bromont) that is unbelievable if you like tight fast singletrack that are not too technical, pretty buff.

Let us know a few weeks before coming, we'll give you more details and info...

Cheers.

Thanks for your quick responses people - especially about mt st tremblant as that was high on the list!

Skill wise, all four of us can ride most things XC, the 2 guys ride DH/FR too. It's a tough thing to state but I guess the guys are advanced (drops/some jumping etc) and the girls are intermediate (steep roll ins, off cambers, singletrack etc) but quick learners, and we'll all be bringing armour. I'd really like to get the ladies on some big hire Norcos with full faces so they could experience that awesome DH vibe.

So far Bromont sounds like the place to be, but it doesn't look that mountainous, does that not matter?

oh and btw, we're planning on visiting next July! I know how cold canada gets in winter time!

May 2004

Blue Mountain

Hi
    I go to Blue Mountain / Collingwood once a year for the last 4 years. I usually go in Sept when the temperature is approx 20 and low humidity. July can be hot.
    The area has many cross country trails, (3 stages, Kalopore, etc) you can spend hours at each trail area.
    Also Blue Mountain has a nice Village area for unique shopping, food, drinks, coffee.
    As stated there are lifts running for the downhill runs, the runs are short ( I have never done them) but I heard the runs are great.

Rock2

Mar 2004

Bromont's your best choice

I just got back yesterday...check out my post and some photos. I did'nt take a lot of shots...too busy riding and hanging on for dear life. This place is great, and Montreal is a great city for Europeans to visit since it's the closest thing we've got to a "European" city. Good vibes all around. As you can tell from my so-so photos, Bromont can be nasty: rock gardens, ladders, drops, technical and fast singletrack. But, if double diamond stuff gets too hairy there's miles of XC/FR stuff that's less mean. And yeah, it's not part of a real mountain range like the Rockies or Alps, but there's plenty of vertical feet and fast lifts to keep you running all day.
    Gabe