Where is Everyone from?- Mtbr.com
    rad to the power of sick

Where is Everyone from?

Hey all,

Just doing a general survey... interested to see where everyone is from.

Im 18 and from Oakville.

I generally ride kelso and hilton falls a few times a week.
    Some great sets for the trainer:
    https://www.mixcloud.com/djfeelgood/

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

from...

Nearing 30, from "parts unknown" (Brampton).

Newb, riding both doubletrack (Caledon/Palgrave path) and will be trying singletrack as well. 1-2 times a week, at least 10km each time, looking to push it to 20km.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

I'm an Oakville native too

Typically I ride Kelso (usually I ride to the trails....do the trails....then ride home). Hilton Falls sometimes as well. Sometimes I hit the Don also. Picked up a road bike this winter and have been to lots of training on that as well.

(aka SS_MB-7)
    Quote Originally Posted by trekracer8000
    Hey all,

Im 18 and from Oakville.

I'm from Ottawa and typically ride in the Gatineau Park and Kanata Lakes. I intend to do most of the O-Cups, but will be focusing more on enduro events (6-, 8-, 12- and 24-hr solo races and the TransRockies) and I will not be doing Kelso -- sorry guys, but I detest Kelso.

I've raced Kelso too many times and really don't find anything enjoyable about it. The drive is also way too long from Ottawa (~6+ hrs). What really did it for me was the '02 O-Cup Championships in sweltering heat and humidity as we had to grind-up the completely exposed access road.

On the other hand, I've had more than a few great rides at Hilton Falls with some buddies from the Oakville/Burlington area.
    Ride Hard,
    Mike B. (MCM# 7.77)
    http://www.one-speed.com

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

From..

I'm from the London area, ride anywhere there is decent riding, race most of the enduros and o cups, done a few 24 hour events. London has Fanshawe lake, a big ring ride (fast single and double track, some tech in it), various river trails and Boler mtn which has a thursday nite race series..Been out to BC riding lots o fun out there!

rad to the power of sick
    Yea kelso is definitely not worth a 6hr drive.. If your close to it, its a good place to get a workout.

Sperky, I generally ride up too. I picked up some 1.5 slicks and that has been doing the road job for me.

mtbr member
    I'm 29, in Mississauga. I'll go to Kelso and Hilton Falls the most this season, as these are the only locations I can get to before it gets dark during the week after work. Actually, sometimes I go to Albion Hills after work too. On weekends generally I'll try to go some place else to keep it interesting - Durham Forest (not too often, I find it a bit boring), Dagmar, Ravenshoe, Mansfield, have been a few times to Waterdown, but never had a chance to really explore the trails, as each time it was very muddy.... I don't think I'll be going to Hardwood Hills too often (if at all), because I find the price to get in just too much, especially after you just drove all the way past Barrie to get there....
    I want to explore some new places this season, as it gets a bit boring by mid summer. I've heard good things about 3 Stage in Collingwood, Porcupine Ridge in Bracebridge (that'd be more like a weekend trip). I will probably do some DH in Blue Mountain as well. Not sure what to expect there though, I hope I haven't been spoiled by trips to Bromont .
    Also, would like to find out about any interesting places West of me, other than Kelso and Hilton Falls, worth driving out to. Seems like all of my further "weekend ride" destinations now are in the east end.

Arek

I already rode that
    Toronto east beaches or at least close enough
    Usually booting around the Don since I can ride there from my house.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003

Good job! I'm like'n the weather lately

Hey guys (and gals?).

I'm 35 (just turned)
    I'm in my 10th year of riding.

I live in Mississauga. I ride all over the place: Dundas, Waterdown, Kelso, Hilton Falls, Albion Hills, Mansfield, Hardwood Hills, Coulson Hill, Ravenshoe, Dagmar, Durham Forest, Don Valley... hmmm, think I missed one in there...

I have a group of riders that hit the trails every weekend for "social rides". Fun and exercise mostly. Everyone here is welcome to ride with us. Check it out at The Ride.

See you on the trails!
    -Brian-
    this space left intentionally blank

Bike Junkie

Group Ride

Hey, that's awesome.

I joined TBN this year to branch out and see what other trails are being ridden. I've been into biking for 15 yrs. But your Ride site is cool stuff.

I'm not 34 and living in Scarborough. I frequent:
    Hardwood Hills
    Dagmar
    Glen Major/3 Rock
    Albion Hills
    Kelso
    Ravenshoe

I ended up picking up Mel's Ride Guide to Ontario. Really good guide to point out places that I'd never consider going to. Camp Fortune, 3 Stage and a few others.
    See You On The Trails!

mtbr member

The great moutain biking mecha of

hamilton, 24 years old, go to school in toronto though, trails from st catherines to durham. atlhough id like to do a little more downhill this year. balfs 2step and rm vertex.
    STEVE
    If I wanted to objectify a women I'd do it on my terms not theirs.

Apr 2004
    Hey Everyone,

24, Currently living in RH. Ride all over the place - Kelso, Durham, Dufferin, Mansfield, Collingwood, Dagmar, Ravenshoe...This is my first post in almost 3 years of lurking. Usually ride with the TBN on weekend. Headed out to Ganaraska this Saturday and might hit Ravenshoe Thursday night.

mtbr member

Hi-yall

Oakville here too!!!
    29, turning the big 30 on May 2nd...so just for the record Im in my twenties

Riding all my life, but mostly for cross training to stay in shape for other sports..mostly beach v-ball. But the more i ride the trails the more I enjoy this wonderful sport/recreation/way of life.

Just bought my first mountain bike (grew up ridin road bikes) had a crappy tire bike for a couple years and last year bought a Trek. went to Hilton Falls and loved it. I have been riding a lot in the Joshua creek area and ErinMills and Erindale park as well as Etobicoke valley and casual rides with the GF on the lakefront and Don trails.

Im in for hooking up for some rides with like minded peoples...

See ya out there

Cheers,

Smiley

mtbr member
    I'm old enough to know better but young enough to pretend.
    I live in Ontario.
    I like to ride mansfield, durham area, ravenshoe, coulson's hill and other areas outside of the GTA and Ontario.

Moderator Moderator
    I'm 19, live in Delhi Ontario

I ride:
    -Hardy Road (Brantford)
    -Bakers Bush (Paris)
    -Turkey Point (Turkey Point)
    -The Pines (Woodstock)
    -Devil's Spine (Delhi)
    -Brook C.A. (Simcoe)
    - a few others I can't remember.

Looking to try a few new places this summer as long as my POS cavalier holds up and gets me to the trails.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Im 19, from Newmarket, but going to school in Hamilton.

I havent gotten out to many technical trails yet, but im gonna try and do that this summer.

usually i just ride the trails that go through the locks system in newmarket up to hollandlanding, not super technical, but they start less then 1 minute from my house, so i never bothed to look in to any other trails.

Mar 2004

34, downtown T.O., and I ride a Cove

A G-spot to be exact. Fantastic bike. After 10 years of buying Rocky's w/ mediocre parts I finally built up a ride to last. I also have an Oxygen hardtail for rides at Hardwood, Mansfield, Haliburton Highlands etc., but mostly it's me and the G at Ravenshoe, Glen Major (love the back section with the berms and the jumps) Don Valley (stunts are getting nicer and nicer) and a few times a season at the Queen of XC, DH, and FR riding: Bromont, Quebec. This place absolutely rocks...the locals kick ass, people are nice, food and beer is good, places to stay are abundant and reasonable. If you can get a group together, go there. It's not just for Freeriders...there's something to thrill every style of rider.
    Like to know more about:
    Camp Fortune
    Blue Mountain (been only once 5 years ago)
    Freeride-type trails west of Kelso
    Cheers!

Jan 2004

Bonking ... not feelin' well Oldie but a goodie....

.... hey the oldest one here!
    Just you whipper snappers remember that as I blow by you at Durham Forest!!
    (In my dreams!!)
    Age - 42
    Pickering

rad to the power of sick
    Hey all you Halton boys, we should hook up for a ride some time!

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

... and if we just ... Collingwood

I'm 39 and a newbie to mtn biking but hey we all have to start somewhere.
    I can sit here at my desk and see the skiruns....what a life. Have the bike 30 feet from my deck.

I rode Lorree forest this past weekend and there was still some snow before you could get in. Looking forward to riding 3Stages, Kolapore and of course blue mtn and anything else i can find and as i get in better shape.

I got a trek 4900 with disc brakes and i like it so far

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

cove..

Quote Originally Posted by lambhead
    A G-spot to be exact. Fantastic bike. After 10 years of buying Rocky's w/ mediocre parts I finally built up a ride to last. I also have an Oxygen hardtail for rides at Hardwood, Mansfield, Haliburton Highlands etc., but mostly it's me and the G at Ravenshoe, Glen Major (love the back section with the berms and the jumps) Don Valley (stunts are getting nicer and nicer) and a few times a season at the Queen of XC, DH, and FR riding: Bromont, Quebec. This place absolutely rocks...the locals kick ass, people are nice, food and beer is good, places to stay are abundant and reasonable. If you can get a group together, go there. It's not just for Freeriders...there's something to thrill every style of rider.
    Like to know more about:
    Camp Fortune
    Blue Mountain (been only once 5 years ago)
    Freeride-type trails west of Kelso
    Cheers!
    How you lik'en the cove? just built up g spot with jr-t fork, 5th element shock and rohloff speedhub, can't wait to hit the above trails you mentioned, mixes up the riding for me from riding xc (ping,ping) riding to the laid back (lets go ) riding!

They say I have a problem

From Dundas...

I'll post for both myself and my fiance...

We're in Dundas at the base of the escarpment, about a 5 minute ride from the Dundas Valley Golf Club. Therefore a good chunk of our riding is done in and around Dundas/Ancaster. We do road trips every so often, but the lure of just getting on the bike and riding makes it tough. We both own a Sugar and a have a Gary Fisher HT backup/commuter bike. We've done a number of citizen races in the last few years, but are going to take a break this summer. The last few have not been fun due to the weather conditions and overall we haven't had fun. Also, we're getting married in August and doing a mountain biking adventure to North Carolina and Tennessee as our honeymoon....As a side note, I'll have to touch base with Maynard who just got back from a trip to Pisgah....

Hopefully we can hook-up for some rides this summer because in the last few years it's just been the two of us riding together. It makes planning rides easy for us, but it's nice to meet new people...

BTW...I'm 37 and been riding for almost 6 years and She's 28 and been riding for 5 years...

Rich
    "The meek shall inherit the earth"

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I am from Sault Ste. Marie and used to travel to the o-cups. A bit of a long drive now, 8 hrs to get home on a sunday night just to get up for work on monday morning. My wife and I usually to to michigan because the michigan cups are close and the courses are similar to o-cups. Around town, we ride at the hiawatha highlands trails and at stokely creek. This time of year there is still lots of snow in the bush so all our time is spent on the road.

Apr 2004

mmmmm...cove...

Quote Originally Posted by Vernon VernDog
    How you lik'en the cove? just built up g spot with jr-t fork, 5th element shock and rohloff speedhub, can't wait to hit the above trails you mentioned, mixes up the riding for me from riding xc (ping,ping) riding to the laid back (lets go ) riding!
    i ride a cove as well. a handjob (see profile for build), not quite as bling as their freeride or DH frames but still nice. i'm kinda regretting not getting a stiffee as my riding is going more in that direction but other than that i LOVE this frame. climbs like a beast. if this thing ever breaks i'm definetly going with another cove.

mac
    high school Prom King

Flat land...

down here in SW Ont...Sarnia to be more precise. It's a shame too, as there are quite a number of riders down this way that would rather not have to drive 1 hr+ to a decent trail I am sure...

As far as local (or reasonably close) trails, I enjoy the flow of Fanshawe...

L.D
    My Legs Hurt
    22 and Brampton

mtbr member

ottawa

I'm 29 from Ottawa. I ride mainly Gatineau Parc and Kanata lakes (just rode KL today-very muddy), and normally do annual trips to Bromont, Albion Hills (24 hour), Durham forest, and have once made it out to Haliburton (50km enduro). I like to ride anywhere with hills and tough technical single track.

Space for rent...

Sorry cdnbkrdude, got you beat by 3 years....

...45 from Oakville. Ride Kelso and and Hilton Falls. Also have a couple of loops around Oakville, that keep me in shape between rides.

Anyone tried the trails at the end of Nayagawa? Rode them a couple of times last year. Unfortunately, the 4x4's had made a mess in a couple of places, and it got pretty sloppy and torn-up. Lots of potential though.
    It's only pain......

Apr 2004

Good job! From Mississauga

22 yrs. old (turning 23 this year) and i'm from Mississauga.

I'm a COMPLETE newb to the mtn. biking thing and i just purchased my first real bike a Trek 4300. Bike is completely stock (not sure if bar ends and a LED light count ) but other than that ... i started with the bike to get out and get some excercise to help complement my running (plan on doing a few 10k and 15k runs). But riding light trails has helped me enjoy the sport and i'd like to learn a lot more...really want to learn the basics and try to work my way up to drops and such.

Hope i'll be able to ride with you guys sometime!

GO LEAFS GO!

mtbr member

how dou you like the Trek

How do you like the 4300?
    I have the same and new to MTB world.

Cheers

Apr 2004

Good job!

Quote Originally Posted by smiley
    How do you like the 4300?
    I have the same and new to MTB world.

Cheers
    So far so good! Love the bike overall so far. When i was looking around at bikes..i had quite a few in mind and it all came down to fit. This bike felt the most comfortable to me (was even a lil' more than i was hoping to spend....but sure glad i spent it now!).

I was looking at these:

Gary Fisher Tarpon
    Gary Fisher Advance
    Giant Boulder SE
    Giant Rincon
    Specialized Hardrock Sport
    Fuji Sunfire
    Trek 4300
    Trek 4100

The one thing that i have noticed (and according to some other reviews on the net) the seat post is moveable. When i hit bigger bumps...it can move side to side or up and down. So make sure yours is good to go. I'm bringing mine back today to get that problem fixed!

mtbr member
    37 and living in Scarborough

Riding a Turner rfx in the Don, RavenShoe, Santa's Village, Bayview/Stoufville, urban, some secret spots and of course Blue where I've got my second season's pass in a row now and plan on spending the majority of my summer ride time.

I've been riding for 13yrs, lots of xc but mostly into freeride, stunts, anything steep, drops & jumps now.

Yearly out of town visits to Bromont & Ottawa (where I'm originally from) and my first BC trip last year to Whistler & the Shore (wicked riding)

rad to the power of sick
    Yea those Neyagawa trails... good potential to grow! But those dips just want to pitch you over the bars.

I ride the heritage trails alot just to get my hill interval workouts. Maybe I'll see ya some time. Blue Trek 8000 hardtail, with a skareb soon to be black elite.

Crank monkey

Kingston

I mostly ride Collins Bay and Fort Henry in Kingston. My brother lives in Ottawa, and we ride Kanata Lakes or Gatineau Park when we get a chance. I've also ridden a bit down around Windsor, since my parents live relatively nearby. Malden park and 2 creeks in Wheatley are OK, considering that it's flatter than a billiard table there, but they don't hold a candle to the stuff around Ottawa. I'm 34, BTW, and have a Giant hardtail and an '02 Sugar 3+
    Cheers,
    Smytty

Warp speed, Mr. Sulu!

Brampton

....coming up on 35.

Local trails I usually ride include Hilton Falls, Kelso, Inglewood, Forks of the Credit, Erindale Park, and yes, I used to ride at Neyagawa once in a while, but those ATV's sure did wreck it. That, plus all the river crossings were really making a mess of my hubs.

Out of town, I love Kolapore Uplands, Minesing, Buckwallow, Dundas Valley and Waterdown. Intend to give 3 Stages, Porcupine Ridge, and Blue a go this summer.

I have a 2000 Trek 8000 hardtail and late last year picked up a 2003 Specialized Enduro Pro. I'm thinking it would be nice to add a downhill bike to the mix one day, but that depends on how good Blue is. I was at Whistler a couple of years back, and really got bit by the downhill bug.

To the guy who started this thread, nice idea. It's cool to learn a bit about the people who hang out here.

Mike

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Kitchener here!

Female, 29 years young! Started racing and riding last spring in the begginer O-cups on a Giant Iguana, got hooked and am now riding a Cannondale F2000SL in Sport. I usually ride on the road or on local community trails, and on weekends, hit whatever MTB race I can to get on some singletrack. Gnarly Charlie this weekend and the forecast is calling for rain again.
    Love riding at Hardwood Hills, Dagmar and the HydroCut trail here in Kitchener rocks!! Kelso is okay.
    Any other women out there who like to hit the Hydrocut once in awhile? I need a riding buddy!

Jan 2004

London AKA Vanillatown

Hey all.
    Im from London. I'm 29 and ride a 2004 NRS1.
    Started riding in 2001 and the trails around here are pretty good. Fanshawe is fun and flat. There are a couple of "Illegal" rides that i do regularly. (The runner contingent here is organized and very snotty) I'd stay off the trails if it was an environmental thing...
    Anyway.

Racegurl - can you give me directions to the Hydrocut? I've heard great things but the directions in the trail review section are sketchy and im not familiar with KW at all.

Thanks all - if anyone wants to hit some singletrack here in London town, shoot me an email.

Jeff

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

I'm in Uxbridge...

about 7km from Durham's main parking lot. 37 and most of its been on bikes of one form or another.

I haven't seen too many DeKerf Team's down in this area yet. Tangerine, just like the DeKerf Prodigy road bike that I also have.

The Cave (bike store in Uxbridge) is running Durham group rides on Tuesdays and road rides on Thursdays.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by NRS1
    Hey all.
    Im from London. I'm 29 and ride a 2004 NRS1.
    Started riding in 2001 and the trails around here are pretty good. Fanshawe is fun and flat. There are a couple of "Illegal" rides that i do regularly. (The runner contingent here is organized and very snotty) I'd stay off the trails if it was an environmental thing...
    Anyway.

Racegurl - can you give me directions to the Hydrocut? I've heard great things but the directions in the trail review section are sketchy and im not familiar with KW at all.

Thanks all - if anyone wants to hit some singletrack here in London town, shoot me an email.

Jeff

I'm directionaly challenged so I'll get my husband to write the directions down shortly. I don't know what the road is called that you turn down to get there. Sorry!

mac
    high school Prom King

me too...

DK Tangerine Team SL

Didn't you used to be up near Ottawa?

Quote Originally Posted by yuri
    about 7km from Durham's main parking lot. 37 and most of its been on bikes of one form or another.

I haven't seen too many DeKerf Team's down in this area yet. Tangerine, just like the DeKerf Prodigy road bike that I also have.

The Cave (bike store in Uxbridge) is running Durham group rides on Tuesdays and road rides on Thursdays.

T.Dot Represent

T.Dot represent!!!

i live in toronto. been here for over 12 years! and im 16 so thats a long time.

i ride a norco atomik. its got a DJ 3, fox vanilla r, bunch of sram and shimano coponents, truvativ cranks, single track rims, kenda tires, a marzocchi fender, and a new set of ruffiangrips.

oo and a busted old specialized saddle. its one from 3 years ago a body geometry. the rails are all bent up and its held together with yellow tape...ie theres hardly a nose left but my arse is sooo used to it now. i tried the saddle that came wih the bike but its not nearly as comfy!
    fiiiiiiiiiiiinchizzzzzzzzzzle

A wheelist
    Hey all,
    Im 18 and from Oakville.

I live up in the high mountains around Woodstock and have a son 10 year older 'n you ya whippersnapper. I'm mostly a dirtroad endurance hound who takes road trips east and west to places like Kelso, Fanshawe, Dundas Valley etc.

I started racing in '62 (that's 1962, not 1862) but quit racing a few years ago to give others a chance. I'm doin mostly road bike stuff at the moment this year. My new bike gave me new incentive. AaaOoooGaaa.

rad to the power of sick
    Prouda you man... good to see someone whos been riding for so long.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by mac
    DK Tangerine Team SL

Didn't you used to be up near Ottawa?
    Yes, I was one of the founders of the NCMBA - we worked really hard trying to get the NCC to acknowledge and work with the local mountain bikers for trail issues in Gatineau Park. Used to race but now I just enjoy biking for the sake of being outside as much as possible.

There is another tangerine DeKerf Team from that time period ('97) owned by Kris - not sure where he is these days. As far as I know there are no other Prodigy's around Ontario with that colour scheme. It sure is a pretty bike...

Gotta say I'm happy to be riding something else besides the super-technical rock of Gatineau. I don't seem to heal as fast as I used to after crashes...

bi-winning

Niagara Falls

Hey all,

Im 18 and from Oakville.

im 16 and from niagara falls.
    i usually ride whatever is in riding distance like The Bruce trail
    also ride shorthills park
    if i have a chance i like to go to hardwood hills and other places within a few hours

May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by smiley
    Oakville here too!!!
    29, turning the big 30 on May 2nd...so just for the record Im in my twenties
    Cheers,

Smiley
    smiley, i feel your pain. i turned 25 on may 2nd...but for the record i'm still in my twenties

burlington, here. not much technical trails under my belt, my first full year of riding and i'm still building.

Mar 2004

Obvious answer...

Ajax - 27 years old.

Jan 2004
    16 going on 17 and i live in Barrie

Mar 2004

Burlington

burlington, here. not much technical trails under my belt, my first full year of riding and i'm still building.[/QUOTE]

26 in Burlington here...

Just started riding last year, mainly up on the escarpment.. hoping to get more technical this year... (all in due time)

The ni.. have you tried the King rd / Kerns rd trail yet..?? It's pretty good, not too tech, but not too simple... just a suggestion from one newbie to another...
    Also, Rockwood is pretty fun... I attempted the Waterdown trails.. pretty tough but what a fun day...!

Also... to everyone... are the trails open yet..?? I know the weather hasn't really been allowing anything to dry up, any info..?? Also.. can anyone give me a breakdown of some prices to the trails..??
    Thanx

b_r

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Brantford

Just turned 40. My most common ride is from Brantford to Paris and back along the Grand Valley trail. (Hardy Rd. trail for locals) This trail follows the Grand River. I also enjoy Waterdown, Dundas Valley, Kelso, Barkers Bush in Paris and even the Canada Rail trail on occasions.

Ride safe...

Murray

Apr 2004

Oakville

from Oakville, just moved over from Burlington. I love going on a trail i found just west of Bronte Rd. and south of Upper Middle.

Anyone wanna go riding sometime, drop me a line.

some kind of hero...

The Survey Says...

Hey all,

Im 18 and from Oakville.

I'm really old and from Mississauga. I usually ride Hardwood, Kelso, Mansfield, Albion & Dagmar. See you on the trails...

Cheers
    GEVELTERSCHMIDT RACING

Apr 2004
    Bathurst NB representin'

2ks

Jun 2004
    30 year young Oakvillian who rides XC in Oakville, DVP and Blue. Should be getting my first FS bike hopefully next week so i can retire my klein pulse comp or have it as a courtesy ride to bring more peeps in the sport.

Live 4 2day

Kingston

34, from Kingston.

Jun 2004
    28 and in Burlington. I've been riding the trails between here and Waterdown a lot so far this season. Going to need some different trails soon. Not that Burlington/Waterdown isn't good but variety is better.

Jun 2004
    I'm 29 and from Toronto. I'm a newbie to biking (just got my bike 4 days ago) and have only been to Albion Hills.

Members who have read this thread: 0