Where do you buy your Kendas?- Mtbr.com
    2-wheel junkie

Where do you buy your Kendas?

Hey all,
    Looking for an LBS in the GTA or an online store (Canadian or US based) to buy Nevegals & SB8s. Sure I'd like to support my LBS, but if its a lot cheaper to buy on-line then so be it. Especially with the good xchange rate nowadays. I dont want to pay $65 CAD ea. retail

mtbr member
    Sporting Life and Cycle Solutions have Kenda's. I have seen Karma's and Nevegals at both.
    Mike
    Toronto, Canada
    2019 Scott Foil 10 Disc
    2019 Norco Search XR Steel
    2017 Trek Farley 9.6

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MS MSP
    Sporting Life and Cycle Solutions have Kenda's. I have seen Karma's and Nevegals at both.
    I'm pretty sure any shop can order them in if you ask them.

I'm not liking the Nevegal as a rear tire at all. It slips our on roots and steep climbs on me constantly. I wouldn't recommend it as a rear tire for anyone riding in Ontario.

some kind of hero...
    Quote Originally Posted by RD23
    Hey all,
    Looking for an LBS in the GTA or an online store (Canadian or US based) to buy Nevegals & SB8s. Sure I'd like to support my LBS, but if its a lot cheaper to buy on-line then so be it. Especially with the good xchange rate nowadays. I dont want to pay $65 CAD ea. retail
    I got a set of Blue Groove lite DTC from MTBR classified - about $60 for the pair plus shipping. Got my Karma from the Kenda factory outlet on-line for $15 plus shipping. I am impressed with the BG front and Karma rear combo...

Check out Hammerheadbikes, Larry at Mountain high, and there are some others on the Wheels & Tires board...

Good luck
    GEVELTERSCHMIDT RACING

rad to the power of sick
    Bicycle Works in waterdown have them. But that store is bloody pricey.
    Some great sets for the trainer:
    https://www.mixcloud.com/djfeelgood/

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by RD23
    I dont want to pay $65 CAD ea. retail
    Then you won't be buying them in this country. I doubt you're going to find them much less than that.
    I ..... need ..... DIRT!!!!!

... and cookies. :D

TT.
    wheeler
    Feb 2004
    go see Nelson at cyclesolutions for all your Kenda needs
    I Ride, I Know

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Braids

I'm not liking the Nevegal as a rear tire at all. It slips our on roots and steep climbs on me constantly. I wouldn't recommend it as a rear tire for anyone riding in Ontario.
    Interesting, I've had one on the rear for several season now and love it, the thing grips all, mind you I'm using the DH casing and run it a very low psi for DH and FR.

I did want to try their lighter offerings though so thanks for the information.

Clem

mtbr member
    I usually find the best deal on the net and Price Match at Jenson for all of my bicycle component needs. In the case of Kenda's, $33 US was the lowest around. That's about 46 CAD including duties, shipping, and exchange rate.

sock puppet

hmmm....

Quote Originally Posted by Braids

i used Nevegal Lite DTC tube version last season and now i am using UST 2.1 as rear...

by far the best all mountain tire with good rolling resistance and lot of traction, in my experience......

some kind of hero...
    Quote Originally Posted by Bloodfist
    I usually find the best deal on the net and Price Match at Jenson for all of my bicycle component needs. In the case of Kenda's, $33 US was the lowest around. That's about 46 CAD including duties, shipping, and exchange rate.
    Sorry, but I didn't get the math on the Jenson order - near as I can figure its $33 for the tire, $26 for shipping - say 15% exchange is $68 CDN. Then you will pay both taxes - and the last time I got a courier shipment they charged me a fuel levy tax on top of shipping - about $12 CDN. FedEx also charged me tax on the shipping last time I went with them (that's not taxable)... So isn't the LBS a better choice in that case?

Do you get a special rate from Jenson?

Cheers
    GEVELTERSCHMIDT RACING

mtbr member
    Of course I don't order a single tire/item. For example this time I ordered, among other things: nevegal rear/weirwolf front, cassete, chain, chain rings, shifter cables, tools, truying stand, saddle etc. Then you calculate from there, and attribute a percentage of shipping and duties to each item based on price.

Math might seem overly complicating, but I love knowing how much I save

TT.
    wheeler
    Feb 2004
    here some simple math...... if you're a loyal custie of any SOLID local bikeshop in the GTA, you can get the nevegals for fitty bucks a pop
    instead of supporting your local shop on silly stuff like nevegal rear/weirwolf front, cassete, chain, chain rings, shifter cables, tools, truying stand, saddle etc you took the time to figure out the "overly complicated" math, order, wait for the shipment to save FOUR dollars on a set of tires

righton dude
    I Ride, I Know

Mar 2006
    shipping from jenson is one day.....there is no PST (just GST)....and that should be all you pay. Their int. shipping rate already covers any brokerage / customs charges. And with the exchange rate at 1.1........I find it real hard not to buy online vs. LBS......

mtbr member
    I do not wish to turn this thread into an LBS vs mail order discussion (there have been plenty on other MTBR forums). Let me just say that there must be a reason for me to buy things at the shop, besides them being “local”. I used to visit a shop in Woodbridge (where I bough my stumpy), and found the service unsatisfactory; I now live in Richmond Hill, and the shop here does not impress me too much, either.

Out of curiosity, I just called Cycle Solutions and asked them about the price on Nevegals. I was quoted $60 (+tax), and they mentioned that the DTC rubber might be about 10 dollars extra. Even $50+tax (as you suggest, I have to be a “loyal” customer to receive the discount) comes to $57.50, about $11 more than what I paid.

One thing I would like to point out is that while every item that I order online is cheaper than it would be at the bike shop, you save more on some items than others. Some highlights from this order (in Canadian, with duties and shipping factored in, as I explain above):
    LX Cassette - $35
    SRAM PC 991 Chain - $38
    M520 pedals (with cleats) - $42
    Low-mid quality stem to play around with fit - $8.50

I also enjoy the convenience of having all of the parts come to my front door, without having to hunt local shops to see which carry the items that I want/need. For example, in the case of the Ultimate Truing stand, I could have gotten it for roughly the same at MEC. (about $85 with tax) However, that would involve me making a trip to MEC … much easier just to have the Fedex guy bring it to your door.

Jenson will also special order from QPB for you, and simply add the items to the rest of your order. So, basically, if you need to find a more “rare” item, Jenson will get it for you, and often cheaper/faster than the bike shop.

I already rode that
    Jenson wont ship raceface cranks to Canada but will ship RF stems...
    I was a nice lil order going with them till their website said it removed that item...
    Riding F/S since oct 94'

Jan 2005

Nevegals

I saw the $33 US at Jenson and PricePoint and went to talk to my LBS. I managed to get both tires for $50 CAD each - and I ordered a 2.10 and a 2.35 in Stick-E. A little waiting time but if you order in Feb you'll have yours by mid March. So there you go. This local LBS (Montreal) can still come up with pretty good deals. I 'd still buy from them even if they were $55 or $60 each. It makes more sense to support them anyway.

2-wheel junkie
    Thanks for all the replies and the lbs vs online discussion...
    I'm off to CS (and other shops in central TO) today to see what I can find.

Members who have read this thread: 0