Wheel builder recommendation in the GTA (Toronto/York Region)- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Wheel builder recommendation in the GTA (Toronto/York Region)

Looking for recommendation where I can get a set of wheels built. I have them already loosely laced but don't have the nerve to tighten them up to be true and dished correctly. Rims are new, as are the spokes/nipples, hubs are lightly used and in very good/excellent condition. These are vintage hubs and rims from the 90s for a restoration build so I'm nervous about finding the right person to do the work.

Preference is somewhere in the Richmond Hill/Markham area of York Region. But willing to travel withing reason in the GTA if reputable builder and good price can be had. Ideally if you can refer a person by name with excellent experience, that would be great.

Thx!

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by RockiMtn View Post
    Looking for recommendation where I can get a set of wheels built. I have them already loosely laced but don't have the nerve to tighten them up to be true and dished correctly. Rims are new, as are the spokes/nipples, hubs are lightly used and in very good/excellent condition. These are vintage hubs and rims from the 90s for a restoration build so I'm nervous about finding the right person to do the work.

Preference is somewhere in the Richmond Hill/Markham area of York Region. But willing to travel withing reason in the GTA if reputable builder and good price can be had. Ideally if you can refer a person by name with excellent experience, that would be great.

Thx!
    Ed at Liberty Cycle. The shop just moved into a new location but itís still in the western part of downtown Toronto (Bloor & Dovercourt area). As you mentioned they are vintage hubs and rims, Iíll say that he used to build the wheels for a bike brand called Thin Blue Line. If youíre aware of that brand (if you have been riding since around the time your rims are from and live in York region, Iím sure you have) then youíll have a reference point to how long heís been building wheels for and he continues to do so. I imagine heíd be familiar with your set.

Give the store a call and talk to him first and if you reach an agreement then it will be worth the drive down from York region.

mtbr member
    Thanks Damone,

Ed sounds like he'd be the right guy for this. I'll reach out to him and see how it goes.

Yes, familiar with the Thin Blue Line. Local GTA brand from Silent Sports in North Toronto (Thornhill).

Cheers!

mtbr member
    Kai at Silent Sports does a great job.
    I don't let many (any!) people work on my bike but when I do need something Kai is the only one in the GTA I'd ever go to.