what's up with blue mountain?- Mtbr.com

Mar 2004

what's up with blue mountain?

why would they not secure insurance issues around transportation of bikes BEFORE building a gondola? Lucikly I did not go but last weekend my good friend made the trip for a planned solid day of checking out the new and improved downhill runs, only to get there and find out the new gondola doen not take bikes, only people! you have to still throw your bike into one of two shuttle trucks that chug up that big hill...you end up waiting to put your bike in cause they cant fit that many etc etc. on a nice weekend good luck gettin more than a couple runs in. we are thouroughly disappointed. please, someone, tell me why it's still worth going there if you live 2 hours away. this is all providing, of course, that you're into gravity more than climbing.
    G

mtbr member
    First off, this is a TEMPORARY solution to a problem which has to do with the hooks that will eventually hold the bikes. The gondolas will NOT carry bikes, in between each gondola they will have a regular lift chair that will be modified to carry the bikes. The inspector wanted changes to the design they had planned on using and so they must modify the hooks to get the whole thing up and running. No firm news or eta here but expect at least 3-4 weeks min, drag indeed. There have been rumours about the hooks being on the gondolas but I have not been able to confirm that.

As for lineups it seems to be a floating thing. On the weekend they were running 3 trailers and the lineups were really not an issue. When I first got there on Monday it was pretty stupid, one trailer for 40 riders or so=big lineup and wait times. By 2pm they had a second truck on and the lineups vanished. This has happened a couple of times to me (even when just the shuttle truck) and it's a major drag, you go there on a weekday to avoid crowds and end up wasting tons of time waiting for the truck.

Keep this in mind: it's only their second year (under Intrawest) offering dh trails, it'll take time and won't always be perfect. For the moment it is the only dh place in Ontario offering shuttle/lift assist all summer long. Whistler has been at it for quite some time now, they had to grow as well.

I know it's frustrating (trust me I have a 2hr drive each way as well) but I'm willing to put up with the growing pains so that in a few years we have a really amazing dh/freeride park. I've supported them last year and continue to do so this year with a seasons pass because I believe it'll happen, I might be a bit hopeful or optimistic in my beliefs but I'll do as much as I can to have a lift assisted facility open close to TO.

So far they have cleaned up many of last years trails and have two of the eventual four new ones open with a slopestyle course to be built as well. A definite improvement over last year, just ride Autobahn and try not to smile!!

Clem

Mar 2004

good enough reason, hubba...

thanks for the update..you know my friend was so frustrated that day he really didn't look into finding out the information you just provided. I am totally into supporting blue, but I rode the 3 runs they had about 5 years ago and it was brutal. shuttle van broken down, chicken heads all over the trail, no flow. I was super stoked for weekly day trips all summer, since Bromont is too much of a comitment for quick trips. If you bought a season pass that means your gonna go regardless of the gondola. do me a favour and post when they've got the bike lift and/or regular and frequent shuttle trailers sorted out, and my friends and I will hook up a day with you.
    cheers
    Gabe

mtbr member
    Sure thing Gabe.

I've got a small network of guys I ride with as well so if I hear anything interesting from up there I'll let you know (we're also in regular contact with the trail builders there.)

We were planning a trip up this Sat but it'll be way too slick for my liking, not worth the risk.

Clem

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    its not Blue Mtn fault about the gondola. The TSSA would not pass it to accept bikes. Engineers can design everything they want but if some beauraucrat can mess everything up.

I live up here at blue and am laid up so can't do any biking but if i can get to the village next week i'll try to see whats happening

T.Dot Represent
    im onl 16 and dont have a car. is there anyway i can get up t Blue such as splitting gas fare with a group and rentig like a van or like a go bus or somehting chartered to take people up there???
    fiiiiiiiiiiiinchizzzzzzzzzzle

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by finchy
    im onl 16 and dont have a car. is there anyway i can get up t Blue such as splitting gas fare with a group and rentig like a van or like a go bus or somehting chartered to take people up there???
    Your best bet is to pool funds with your own friends, and if one drives then take a car/van or rent one for a day to head up.
    You could also start posting on www.dropmachine.com which is sort of a Toronto centrered site and see if anyone there around your own age is going, I'm sure a few of them head up from time to time with their parents (dropped off for the day) or drive up themselves and I'm sure you could eventually hitch a ride that way once you have met a few of the riders.

You'd have a blast up there.

Clem

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Greyhound buses go right to blue mtn.
    I actually take the bus down and back to Sunnybrook until i can see well enough to drive...... Wait.....maybe not seeing I'd just blend in with the other drivers on the 400/401