what do you guys usually pay for a tune up?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

New question here. what do you guys usually pay for a tune up?

usually i do all the work my self, except for fork internals/wheels and cables. i needed to get the lady friends bike working a little better for the potential trip to blue mountain this weekend. so after yesterday mornings dry wet dry really wet ride here in hamilton i took the bike to a new local shop, i dont even know the name of it, and the guy is charging me 69 bucks for a tuneup, to me this seemed a little over priced as she only needs the shifter cables replaced to regain full functioning of her derailers. but he claimed he'll lube everything and give the bike a once over i guess.

then he charged me 18 bucks for trueing my rear wheel,. which i thought was a little over priced, the wheel was prety bad but perfectly rideable though.

what do you guys usually get charged (if any) for tune ups and maintance on your rides and at what shop do you visit. personaly i found that if you can put up with that fat arogant vince guy at freewheel cycle in dundas, the head mechanic Jay whips anyones ass around, for knowledge and abilities.
    STEVE
    If I wanted to objectify a women I'd do it on my terms not theirs.

mtbr member
    That's a huge ripoff.

$35-$40 at the very most plus my place charges me $12 for a trueing. This guy's gonna be out of business in months.

Dan

Mar 2004

For free....

When I bought my bike I got 3 years of servicing and tuning with it.

I would ask the LBS if you can get some kind of regular visit deal. If they know you will keep coming back I would think they would give you something.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

That is overpriced for just a tune up

Call around to a few shops....usually about $40 for a tune up. But you didn't mention if the $69 included cable and housing. If you got the good stuff you are looking at about $25+ just for materials....plus re-cabling isn't usually included in a tune up so there might have been an extra charge there.

Changing cables is easier than you think. Give it a go one day. Same with truing wheels...

They say I have a problem
    Quote Originally Posted by maynard
    usually i do all the work my self, except for fork internals/wheels and cables. i needed to get the lady friends bike working a little better for the potential trip to blue mountain this weekend. so after yesterday mornings dry wet dry really wet ride here in hamilton i took the bike to a new local shop, i dont even know the name of it, and the guy is charging me 69 bucks for a tuneup, to me this seemed a little over priced as she only needs the shifter cables replaced to regain full functioning of her derailers. but he claimed he'll lube everything and give the bike a once over i guess.

then he charged me 18 bucks for trueing my rear wheel,. which i thought was a little over priced, the wheel was prety bad but perfectly rideable though.

what do you guys usually get charged (if any) for tune ups and maintance on your rides and at what shop do you visit. personaly i found that if you can put up with that fat arogant vince guy at freewheel cycle in dundas, the head mechanic Jay whips anyones ass around, for knowledge and abilities.
    STEVE

I see Vince's name is known far and wide...Funny most people say the same thing about him...And yes I agree about Jay...

Bicycle Works in Waterdown is another good shop to deal with...That's where I get all my fork and wheel work done...

Tuneups, cable replacements and simple part installs are done at the Rich and Shell LBS in our basement...Hey turn around time can be slow, but the price is cheap and the atmosphere great...

Rich
    "The meek shall inherit the earth"

TT.
    wheeler
    Feb 2004
    where r u from dude???

U can drop the bike off at my place, you can have it back in a couple of days, ready to go
    $18 bucks for trueing a wheel, WTF are these guys thinking these days.
    I Ride, I Know

I'm right in Dundas, pretty close to the golf course and the Bruce Trail...

mtbr member

i knew it was a little steep...........

but i didnt have time to go to my usual places, or do it myself (stupid afternoons at work) and in theory this guy is sopoosed to be prety good, he used to be thehead mech at main cycle then left and started his own store, i think i remembering him saying that he was going to lub my rear hub after rebuilding it, so the extra 5 to 10 bucks for the wheel trueing could be coming from there.

the girlfriends bike, was only getting shifter cables, (she has marta discs), and i always lub the chain, newer bottom bracket installed and no major wear on any of the other components so i want to see what he tells me what he did to her bike to make the bill 70bucks.

i think i might just lay into him at the store then go on a side rant about the price of gas compared to the price of jack danials 1l = 90cent or 1L = 26.00.
    then back my car up through his window. i hate getting ripped off.
    STEVE

TT.
    wheeler
    Feb 2004
    well, I'm in Mississauga
    I'll leave it up to you
    PM me if need more info

hey, I just ur checked out ur page
    One of the pics from ur Haliburton trip is identical to the one I took of my girl last year ON THE SAME ROCK that's too funy. I'll have to show that to her tonight.

Can't wait to ride those trials this year.
    Last edited by TT.; 05-12-2004 at 11:02 AM.
    I Ride, I Know

rad to the power of sick
    Hey bud,

Find a good shop, become a regular customer and then they'll start charging little or nothing to do things such as fork overhauls, truing etc. but make sure it;s a good shop.
    Some great sets for the trainer:
    https://www.mixcloud.com/djfeelgood/

mtbr member
    Steve, tune up costs vary depending on what's involved, but 70 bucks sounds pretty steep to me! Central Cycle has a sign out for $29 for a tuneup, I've had some work done there, they seem to be ok. I've found Main Cycle reasonable in the past, haven't had much done there recently.

Spokes n Slopes in Milton has also been reasonable, usually around $10 for a regular trueing, around $20 for an impossible one.

Usually if you're in there buying stuff regularly, most places will give you a deal on getting work done.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    The Bike Zone charges $44.95 for a tune up, which includes wheel truing, mechanical verification, shifter/derailleur alignment and brake adjust. The bikes are also cleaned up before returning them to the customer.
    A complete overhaul, tune up plus a rebuilt (including bearing repack), is $109.95
    If you just want wheels trued, expect $14.95 for a wheel in poor condition.

Hope that helps.
    this space left intentionally blank

mtbr member

i like the guys

at central cycle, but i didnt have time so i went to the shop beside my house its on greys rd and barton in stoney creek.

i use to frequent milton for the past 8 years, spent well over a lot of money there, but they stoped cutting me deals so i dropped them from my paycheck, the two head mechanics left and their inventory is old, so i went elsewhere.
    STEVE, thanks for the info

Quote Originally Posted by langford
    Steve, tune up costs vary depending on what's involved, but 70 bucks sounds pretty steep to me! Central Cycle has a sign out for $29 for a tuneup, I've had some work done there, they seem to be ok. I've found Main Cycle reasonable in the past, haven't had much done there recently.

Spokes n Slopes in Milton has also been reasonable, usually around $10 for a regular trueing, around $20 for an impossible one.

Usually if you're in there buying stuff regularly, most places will give you a deal on getting work done.
    Spokes and Slopes?? You gotta be kidding me...

Yea they are cheap, but they also know how to screw up a bike...Let's just say that last season I had a fork rebuild there and so did my fiance...Forks sat for a month waiting for spring....Took them out for a ride and they didn't feel right....Took them to Bicycle Works for them to look at....My fork had dirty filthy oil...As if it hasn't been changed, or had been re-used...My fiance's was way low on oil....Not to mention there has been a few other screw ups...

They use to be good, but Martin, the head mechanic, got out of the business. Now it's just a bunch of kids working back there...

I would never trust them with one of my bikes again...

Rich

Apr 2004

Diy

bike shops in TO rub me the wrong way. i've never had a good experience with any of them. the barnetts manual, this site and parktool.com have given me all the resources i need to do most service myself. the only thing i can't do is knock out a headset. i haven't had my bike into a shop, 'cept to have the headset cups removed, in several years.

A wheelist
    Quote Originally Posted by 12XU
    the only thing i can't do is knock out a headset. i haven't had my bike into a shop, 'cept to have the headset cups removed, in several years.

Pardon meee? Can you tap, with a hammer, on the end of a screwdriver? If so then you can remove cups.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rbart4506
    Spokes and Slopes?? You gotta be kidding me...

Yea they are cheap, but they also know how to screw up a bike...Rich
    I said they were reasonable, didn't say they were great. They tend to be a bit disorganized at times, sounds like they may have been for the repair you mentioned.

Anyways, here's a Spokes n' Slopes story to warm your hearts. Tonight 5 of us were out for a road ride, we were about 2 miles outside of Milton, one of us gets a flat tire with an aero rim. We have 1 spare tube with a short valve stem, won't work. We were stopped by the side of the road, had decided the flatee would walk back while the rest of us continued on with the ride. A car stops to see if they can help, it's the owner of Spokes n' Slopes!!! He didn't have what we needed with him, he took the wheel back to the shop (about a 10 minute drive away), put a new tube in, delivered it back to us on the road all fixed!!!! We didn't have any cash with us, he said no problem. I'm stopping in at lunch time tomorrow to straighten up with them. I drop in there for a look around about once a week, haven't made any purchases there for a while, except for small stuff. Don't think the owner recognized me with my bike stuff on.

What's that kind of service worth to ya??

Quote Originally Posted by langford
    I said they were reasonable, didn't say they were great. They tend to be a bit disorganized at times, sounds like they may have been for the repair you mentioned.

Anyways, here's a Spokes n' Slopes story to warm your hearts. Tonight 5 of us were out for a road ride, we were about 2 miles outside of Milton, one of us gets a flat tire with an aero rim. We have 1 spare tube with a short valve stem, won't work. We were stopped by the side of the road, had decided the flatee would walk back while the rest of us continued on with the ride. A car stops to see if they can help, it's the owner of Spokes n' Slopes!!! He didn't have what we needed with him, he took the wheel back to the shop (about a 10 minute drive away), put a new tube in, delivered it back to us on the road all fixed!!!! We didn't have any cash with us, he said no problem. I'm stopping in at lunch time tomorrow to straighten up with them. I drop in there for a look around about once a week, haven't made any purchases there for a while, except for small stuff. Don't think the owner recognized me with my bike stuff on.

What's that kind of service worth to ya??
    Got me there...That is a good one...

I still won't take my bikes there anymore...Too many bad memories...

I guess the best thing is to learn to do most of the work yourself and leave the specialty work to the bikes shops. My fiance and I both have had our Sugars for almost 4 years now and every winter I tear the bikes down and give them a full once over. I really doubt any shop is going to know my bike as well as I do. Not to mention you get the added satisfaction of knowing you did something yourself. Plus, if you screw something up you have no one to blame, but yourself.

Rich

Apr 2004

i've tried!

i guess i haven't tried hard enough. it shouldn't scare me anymore than using an allthread rod and a few washers to put a headset in but i'm always worried that technique for removing the cups will mess something up.

Apr 2004

We the people ... Why don't you do it yourself?

O 'right I am a cheap ass. I screwed some stuff on my bike but I learned on my mistakes and I know how to tune up my bike.
    FIRST : pay for tune-up and ask the mechanic if you can assist or see what he is doing. I'm sure most of the small stores don;t care if you watch their hands. Do they?
    I guess this is the best lesson.

I invested some money in tools and I do my bottom bracket service and shock oil replacement.

I still remember how much tools cost me:
    PUMP for RockSHOX SID $29US
    0.5L OIL for the above shocks 14.99cnd
    bottom bracet tools ~ 39.99-crank removal tool , 21.00 spline pedal removal tool
    other tolls I use are: allen keys ( set from canadian tire for 9.99 )
    set of metric wrenches 19.99 from canadian tire.
    all tools work out to ~170cnd taxes included
    and you can use them for several years + the stuff you learned you can use for life.

by the way. most of manufacturers post tunning instructions on the web in PDF format.
    You can easly find any ROCKSHOX tunning-overhaul instructions on sram.com website
    same with shimano.
    Jack