what do you do if you find a body?- Mtbr.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    humber river advocate

We the people ... what do you do if you find a body?

ok, it does happen...

don't be alarmed! this is an actor...
    broadcasting from
    "the vinyl basement"

build trail!

mtbr member
    Ugggh ... Your title reminds me of last Wed when I passed that poor guy on the 401 who got clipped by a semi ......DOA :-(

mtbr member
    Bunnie hop?

If you know him dibs the good bike parts?

humber river advocate
    go through the pockets?

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/oLtcGQ3AFeQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
    Last edited by singlesprocket; 02-26-2011 at 09:47 PM.
    broadcasting from
    "the vinyl basement"

build trail!

mtbr member
    Only if you knew him!

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Easy.. follow the ABCDE protocol.

humber river advocate
    we checked out a homeless tent camp once that looked like it had a body in the sleeping bag. was friggin creepy, but turned out to be trash.
    Last edited by singlesprocket; 02-27-2011 at 04:05 PM.
    broadcasting from
    "the vinyl basement"

build trail!

humber river advocate
    i wonder if anyone dug up some bones before?
    Last edited by singlesprocket; 02-27-2011 at 04:03 PM.
    broadcasting from
    "the vinyl basement"

build trail!

GAME ON!
    i look for boobs and if i see none, i walk away.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Doner kebabs.

mtbr member
    Being much less desperate.........I guess.........or I hope........I much prefer them alive??????

Quote Originally Posted by saturnine
    i look for boobs and if i see none, i walk away.

namagomi
    It does happen - I have a friend who found a woman who had hung herself. Pretty clear she was dead, but you never know. I wouldn't go anywhere near it or poke it with a stick.

In Japan there is one particular forest where people will go to commit suicide. So i'd probably stay outta there for riding, **** is probably haunted.

Evil Jr.
    Found a dead juvenille racoon today out in the woods, still pretty fresh. With all the tracks, I guessed it was coyotes although they might just have been scavenging. Can an owl take down a racoon?
    Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

humber river advocate
    seriously i would check for a pulse, then call the cops. one person did find a victim a few years back up here.
    broadcasting from
    "the vinyl basement"

build trail!

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Grewsome as it sounds,
    This does happen every spring - someone finds a corpse
    Rumor has it that there is even a trail named after one
    In my mind, the greater likelihood is that I'll see one when I'm road riding.
    I suppose I'd save a life if I could,
    Failing that, I'd call it in - even though that would pretty much end the ride.

namagomi
    Quote Originally Posted by Steveonomad
    Grewsome as it sounds,
    This does happen every spring - someone finds a corpse
    In my mind, the greater likelihood is that I'll see one when I'm road riding.
    I suppose I'd save a life if I could,
    Failing that, I'd call it in - even though that would pretty much end the ride.
    Yup, of note are two incidents where a corpse(both victims of foul play) were dumped into a ditch in an area I had frequently ridden road on and maybe even passed by on one occasion... it's a downside of being out on the quiet country roads, people are always dumping... bodies and garbage.

Evil Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by Steveonomad
    You tease!

If I remember correctly, this particular guy (or what was left of him) was found in a tree just off the escarpment edge. He'd been "missing" for a while although I think in the end, they deemed it suicide. Actually wasn't that far from where that other guy got squished by a train... Ew.
    Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

mtbr member

Anonymous call.

No. Just No.
    Quote Originally Posted by veteran_youth
    Anonymous call.
    The fireside "Lardass" story scene from that flick is one of the great moments in cinematic history. I'd post a youtube link, but that doesn't really seem to be a wise thing to do these days.

rad to the power of sick
    Reminds me of a place on the Credit River near the 403 where I used to go fly fishing almost every other day during the fall. The body of a murdered young girl was found not 200 yards from where I was a day or two before. Meaning we were probably in the same place at one point in time.

Its scary how much that can shake up a 15 year old. I havent been there since needless to say..
    Some great sets for the trainer:
    https://www.mixcloud.com/djfeelgood/

Evil Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by Circlip
    The fireside "Lardass" story scene from that flick is one of the great moments in cinematic history. I'd post a youtube link, but that doesn't really seem to be a wise thing to do these days.
    Ban hammer!

Anyhow, it's amazing to think about what happened to the kids (actors that is) around that fire later in life...

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/TG2gjL-KUqw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

No. Just No.
    Quote Originally Posted by garage monster
    Anyhow, it's amazing to think about what happened to the kids (actors that is) around that fire later in life...
    Indeed, that bunch suffered through some horrific life events and experiences in the years afterwards. The worst of which IMHO was Wil Wheaton having to play the recurring character Wesley Crusher on STNG for a few seasons. As an actor, how do you come back from that? Answer : you don't.

Evil Jr.
    Answer : you don't.
    I am pleased to embed an oblique YouTube response to your post.

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/tVYCbRjhnsE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

No. Just No.
    BTW, on the subject of the original topic I must agree with Singlesprocket that one should first establish that the body is a dead body. I'd want someone to do this for me just to make sure I'm really dead and not almost dead. Then again, if worms are crawling out of eye sockets maybe the pulse check isn't necessary.

From my teen years, at our family cottage's lake in Ontario a "floater" was spotted one day. Further investigation revealed the floater to be most certainly dead. Advice provided by local authorities by phone was to secure the floater so that it didn't float away anywhere else until they had the opportunity to come and collect it. Not very fun. No specific timeframe was given, although the actual response time wasn't too bad.

mtbr member
    If the body is a MTB biker i give them the dignified burial ,, with wild flowers a quick prayer and , and honourably take his /her bike to ride in the Highway to Heaven.Of course that 's the way i would want it too.
    13 On One Fatty
    08 YETI 575 BLK. C.King Hubs/Hadley
    96 Specialized Stump Jumper FS Tweaked

Evil Jr.
    After the most recent "snowpocalypse" we were out night skiing and came across an abandoned car up to it's axles in snow on Martin Road (the infamous last leg of P2A). It was so creepy that we were a bit concerned what we might find when we peered into the frosty windows. It was like the beginning of an X-Files epsiode. (No bodies though, thankfully.)

mtbr member
    What do you do? It depends on whether or not your last name is Hannem.

Evil Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by nspace
    What do you do? It depends on whether or not your last name is Hannem.
    OMG, I completely forgot about that story!

A mutual acquaintance of ours came across a very dead body (and crushed 10-speed) on a street in Toronto (Mt. Pleasant?) late at night. He immediately leapt into action and tracked down the assailant parked just up the hill and around the corner, trembling in her car. The stories that guy could tell would blow your mind but then again, he was a security professional.

No. Just No.
    he was a security professional.
    Like Byron Sonne is a security professional, or do you mean a different type of security professional? There are probably many different themes and variations on who fits that very broad term.

Evil Jr.
    Like Byron Sonne is a security professional, or do you mean a different type of security professional? There are probably many different themes and variations on who fits that very broad term.
    He was formerly head of security at RIM. He could crack heads (and counterfeiters) with the best of them.

mtbr member
    That story is one of my very first memories of riding with you guys at Albion Tuesday Nights. Will never forget that!

The look on Ruppel's face when he overheard.. "You know when you find a body...and you kick it...to see if its still alive."

Evil Jr.
    Will never forget that!
    We have another mutual friend, ex-military, who once told us (at length) about a live hand-grenade training exercise gone awry. The goriness of the story aside, it's the matter-of-fact delivery that really gets to you.

mtbr member
    We have another mutual friend, ex-military, who once told us (at length) about a live hand-grenade training exercise gone awry. The goriness of the story aside, it's the matter-of-fact delivery that really gets to you.
    The same person silently appeared behind me like a sideler, gripped me in a neck lock, and explained that when you snap someones neck you must extend a leg for the body to roll down so that it doesn't make a thud when it hits the floor.

...Fun times! Lets go ride bikes.

Evil Jr.
    ...Fun times! Lets go ride bikes.
    We're not called Misfits for nothing!

namagomi
    From my teen years, at our family cottage's lake in Ontario a "floater" was spotted one day. Further investigation revealed the floater to be most certainly dead. Advice provided by local authorities by phone was to secure the floater so that it didn't float away anywhere else until they had the opportunity to come and collect it. Not very fun. No specific timeframe was given, although the actual response time wasn't too bad.
    No need to worry if they're floating without a life-jacket on... means they've spent some time on the bottom filling up with gases.

This reminds me of the opp dive recovery guys talking about feeling around a lake bed in pitch dark zero visibility silt for a body and then it appears a few inches from you!

9 lives
    It's funny I sometimes think about this subject on some rides because although uncommon discovering a body can still occur.

I've never found a dead person in the woods... although I've seen plenty of dead people at work (patients not colleagues!) . A few minutes after death the body starts to decompose. Initially it's very faint odor and in normal circumstances the body is wisked away to the morgue before the smell becomes noticable.

With that in mind the first thing you would notice in the vicinity of a corpse that has been lying in the woods (or where ever else) is the distinct odor of decomposition. Its a smell that is distinct and you would notice it even before you see a body.
    Last edited by cyclelicious; 03-01-2011 at 08:38 AM.

Evil Jr.
    There was an awesome episode of Dirty Jobs last year where Mike learns about forensic entomology. It was totally fascinating... and totally gross.

In this clip, they're harvesting various bugs from a pig "corpse" that's been left to rot in a rolled up tarp. Depending on the type and development of the bugs, they can pinpoint the time of death to amazing accuracy!

<iframe id="dit-video-embed" width="640" height="360" src="http://static.discoverymedia.com/videos/components/dsc/0895a1d16627d308bd622d61995ac58f384d71f1/snag-it-player.html?auto=no" frameborder="0" scrolling="no" allowtransparency="true"></iframe>

9 lives
    http://www.thestar.com/news/crime/ar...etobicoke?bn=1

oh oh guess it wasn't a very popular riding spot if the "remains were there for quite some time"

Team NFI
    Mar 2007

Back in the time when we actually where allowed live grenades. "Oh my.. grenades are dangerous and kill.. we can't allow soldiers to use them." goes the PC safety types.

Thank fully we seem to have moved past that.

humber river advocate
    nom nom nom... these guys are getting hungry...

http://www.thestar.com/news/ontario/...f-coyotes?bn=1
    broadcasting from
    "the vinyl basement"

build trail!

Evil Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclelicious
    http://www.thestar.com/news/crime/ar...etobicoke?bn=1

oh oh guess it wasn't a very popular riding spot if the "remains were there for quite some time"
    Blech! Must have been pretty yucky. They haven't even finished picking everything up yet. Age and gender remain undetermined.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010

Good job!

Ban hammer!

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/TG2gjL-KUqw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

ROFL!
    Thanks Garage Monster

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Happened a few years ago. There are a few over grown trails back in the ravine there.

http://toronto.ctv.ca/servlet/an/loc...80825/20080825

Evil Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by 390404
    Happened a few years ago. There are a few over grown trails back in the ravine there.
    Were you the one that found the body? Did you poke it with a stick?

namagomi
    YupI swear this is like the 3rd body on a route i ride occasionally... wtf!

9 lives
    Quote Originally Posted by electrik
    YupI swear this is like the 3rd body on a route i ride occasionally... wtf!
    Maybe you should change your route....just saying

humber river advocate
    bring out your dead

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/grbSQ6O6kbs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
    broadcasting from
    "the vinyl basement"

build trail!

humber river advocate
    broadcasting from
    "the vinyl basement"

build trail!

Up, Up, and Away!
    Is that in the conservation area?

namagomi
    Caledon is apparently a dumping ground for the GTA's murder victims. I wonder how many aren't found.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SuprGrovr View Post
    Is that in the conservation area?
    in the pond at the curve in the road on the north end of the village (rotary park)
    lots of police activity going on all day yesterday

Evil Jr.
    Ew... Is that by the gazebo?

I'd been following this story in the news too. Super creepy!

namagomi
    Is that the gazebo on the trans-canada trail? This is the only part of palgrave I remember... maybe it is the body of a coke over-dose friend that was dumped by jaffer.

mtbr member
    Hum the Law & Order theme...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by electrik View Post
    Is that the gazebo on the trans-canada trail? This is the only part of palgrave I remember... maybe it is the body of a coke over-dose friend that was dumped by jaffer.
    another gazebo on the north end of town

mtbr member
    The body discovered in Uxbridge this summer was on a piece of road that I included in my usual country road night loop. I used to ride that a couple times a week solo at night, but I changed my loop since. Interestingly that bit of road is part of the Trans Canada Trail.

mtbr member
    So I was wondering why this thread was pulled up again after so long... Today I decided to ride from Barrie to Albion so I made it down to Palgrave, stopped in the gazebo before turning around and was wondering why there was a large police truck sitting by Rotary Park that had headquarters on the side of it, or something like that anyway. So this makes a lot more sense. This type of news is truly awful.
    Rocky Element
    My Attempt at a Blog

namagomi
    Quote Originally Posted by jrastories View Post
    So I was wondering why this thread was pulled up again after so long... Today I decided to ride from Barrie to Albion so I made it down to Palgrave, stopped in the gazebo before turning around and was wondering why there was a large police truck sitting by Rotary Park that had headquarters on the side of it, or something like that anyway. So this makes a lot more sense. This type of news is truly awful.
    Hey, how'd you get from tottenham to barrie? All road?

mtbr member
    Hey, how'd you get from tottenham to barrie? All road?
    It was a little road, rail trail and dirt road, just put it into Google maps with the bike option. I put 28mm tires on the cross bike to go on a nice little adventure, it was a really good ride except for the strong head wind all the way out, but really it was mostly the noise that got to me.
    Rocky Element
    My Attempt at a Blog

Live Free or Ride!
    True story. I found a body in the Etobicoke creek around Eglington. Looked like buddy had hung himseld (thats my story and I'm sticking to it ) I called the cops and about 20 cruisers, 2 ambulance and 3 coroners arrived. Was quite the production. Scared the crap outta me when I first saw him.
    2007 Giant Anthem 1
    2009 Giant XTC 0

humber river advocate
    broadcasting from
    "the vinyl basement"

build trail!

namagomi
    Quote Originally Posted by singlesprocket View Post
    There are always bodies showing up... seriously i wonder what the murder rate is in Caledon considering the population is much lower.

9 lives
    There are always bodies showing up... seriously i wonder what the murder rate is in Caledon considering the population is much lower.
    Not sure if they are being murdered in Caledon or dumped... either way its a peculiarity of the region

humber river advocate
    i guess with the price of gas they don't want to go to far up north...
    broadcasting from
    "the vinyl basement"

build trail!

namagomi
    i guess with the price of gas they don't want to go to far up north...
    Oh i dunno, last year that one guy drove allover the province leaving body parts.

humber river advocate
    that is true... or you can just pose the corpses in your apartment

Pictures show Russian man Anatoly Moskvin dressed 29 mummified bodies as dolls | News | National Post
    broadcasting from
    "the vinyl basement"

build trail!

namagomi

Whats that, mother?

humber river advocate
    broadcasting from
    "the vinyl basement"

build trail!

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    If one was to put a notch in their stanchion for every corpse that was found in Caledon,
    The fork wouldn't survive.

Evil Jr.
    Wow, only 45 homicides in Toronto this year! That's remarkable!

namagomi
    No wonder nobody ever wants to "take a trip to Caledon" ... unbelievable.

Evil Jr.
    Weirder and weirder...

Quote Originally Posted by The Globe
    Third arrest in Brampton killing

A nationwide manhunt came to an end Friday afternoon, when police arrested a third person in connection with the beating death of a 73-year-old Brampton man.

The search for 29-year-old James Martineau lasted four days. He was arrested at Union Station at about 4:30 p.m. as he exited a Toronto-bound train from Montreal. He has been charged with second-degree murder and will appear in court on Saturday.

On Monday, the body of Ivan Newton Davison was found in York Region, on a rural King Township road near the Caledon-King town line and Mount Pleasant Road, about 30 kilometres from where he lived.

An autopsy held Tuesday concluded his death resulted from blunt-force trauma.

Mr. Martineau and his 48-year-old mother, Wendy Martineau, shared a home with Mr. Davison.

She appeared in court on Wednesday in Newmarket, Ont., charged with being an accessory after the fact to murder, which usually means helping to conceal the crime.

The same charge has now been laid against Rian Patrick McLean, 31, of no fixed address, who was arrested in Brampton on Thursday.

Both Mr. McLean and Ms. Martineau are being held without bail.

namagomi
    Looking at his tattoos it is obvious he wasn't very good at making important decisions.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Killing the landlord Never Works!

I Strava Hamburgers
    I particularly like the Juggalo tattoo.

Fkn forensics. How do they work?

I Strava Hamburgers
    Quote Originally Posted by garage monster View Post
    aliens
    Snerk

Evil Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by 14stone View Post
    i particularly like the juggalo tattoo.

aliens

Evil Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by 14Stone View Post
    I particularly like the Juggalo tattoo.

Seriously tho, if someone asked me to close my eyes and imagine a mug shot for someone that *might* have dumped a body 30km from the scene of a crime, that one fits it nearly to a T.

namagomi
    Seriously tho, if someone asked me to close my eyes and imagine a mug shot for someone that *might* have dumped a body 30km from the scene of a crime, that one fits it nearly to a T.
    Aha... so damn true it makes me wonder! Just hoping I don't find a body after the spring thaw.

No. Just No.
    Seems we're not the only ones who find the whole thing a bit strange;

Toronto News: Caledon becoming a dumping ground for murderers? - thestar.com

9 lives
    Quote Originally Posted by Circlip View Post
    Seems we're not the only ones who find the whole thing a bit strange;

Toronto News: Caledon becoming a dumping ground for murderers? - thestar.com
    Maybe the citizens of Caledon are just better at finding bodies... who knows what hasn't been found yet in other locations.

Our dog finds all kinds of interesting things

No. Just No.
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclelicious View Post
    Maybe the citizens of Caledon are just better at finding bodies... who knows what hasn't been found yet in other locations.
    True. It could be that the types of criminals who choose Caledon as their preferred drop zone just aren't as skilled in hiding the bodies, or aren't particularly concerned at all about the hiding and or more focused on the pure drop off aspect.

"Why does my car smell so bad? Oh ya, it's that body in the trunk!"

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    True. It could be that the types of criminals who choose Caledon as their preferred drop zone just aren't as skilled in hiding the bodies, or aren't particularly concerned at all about the hiding and or more focused on the pure drop off aspect.

"Why does my car smell so bad? Oh ya, it's that body in the trunk!"
    Sheesh.. hasn't anyone learned anything from the Sopranos? Your supposed to wack the guy and take him to your local meat shop and cut up the body. Then not eat any meat products from there for about a month.

No. Just No.
    Quote Originally Posted by Enduramil View Post
    Sheesh.. hasn't anyone learned anything from the Sopranos? Your supposed to wack the guy and take him to your local meat shop and cut up the body.
    If you don't have access to the meat shop can you use household tools instead?

Evil Jr.
    Yep, see Goodfellas.

humber river advocate
    fukers copied my thread...
    broadcasting from
    "the vinyl basement"

build trail!

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    It's only limited by by your lack of imagination or creativity.

namagomi
    fukers copied my thread...
    You got scooped!

humber river advocate
    It's only limited by by your lack of imagination or creativity.
    how many dead bodies have you seen? or touched?
    broadcasting from
    "the vinyl basement"

build trail!

namagomi

humber river advocate
    <iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/8qWFhDvURLg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
    broadcasting from
    "the vinyl basement"

build trail!

namagomi
    Never trust a guy with a big wood-chipper or a pig farm!

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    For the record my job is meat cutting.

Example.. I can take 120 birds ...

And turn them into this in less then an hour.

And I'm good at my job.

namagomi
    So much bird.... however you'd need a pretty big bird!

humber river advocate
    now it is all clear, chickens are people!
    broadcasting from
    "the vinyl basement"

build trail!

Evil Jr.
    We spent a good part of yesterday afternoon making 15 pounds of sausage (5 each of andouille, chorizo and ginger-sage, FTW! ) and the whole time I was breaking-down the shoulder, all I could think of was this thread!

humber river advocate
    We spent a good part of yesterday afternoon making 15 pounds of sausage (5 each of andouille, chorizo and ginger-sage, FTW! ) and the whole time I was breaking-down the shoulder, all I could think of was this thread!
    you wouldn't happen to have a vacancy for a boarder coming up now?

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/88spSHH5BHw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
    broadcasting from
    "the vinyl basement"

build trail!

No. Just No.
    now it is all clear, chickens are people!
    No, Soylent Green is people.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    And on a related note, when people talk about green energy, they might just mean Soylent Green energy...

Evil Jr.
    you wouldn't happen to have a vacancy for a boarder coming up now?
    You should see what it's like around here when we make pies!

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/OTOHl9nD6B0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    So I stop by to see whats new on the forum and this is what I find, creepy,

p.s. Happy new year

humber river advocate
    poachers have been busy, dumped a skin/head at the traihead.

broadcasting from
    "the vinyl basement"

build trail!

namagomi
    Wrong. Soylent Green is Peeeeeeeeeeople! It's Peeeeeeeople, Circlip.

namagomi
    poachers have been busy, dumped a skin/head at the traihead.

Maybe it's a sign?

humber river advocate
    Maybe it's a sign?
    yeah some cooters on the trail
    broadcasting from
    "the vinyl basement"

build trail!

namagomi
    yeah some cooters on the trail
    What'd u say boy?

humber river advocate
    never get out of the boat... lol
    broadcasting from
    "the vinyl basement"

build trail!

I Strava Hamburgers
    <iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Uzae_SqbmDE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

9 lives

humber river advocate
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclelicious View Post
    the opp are on the case...

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/a8jphxpi1ro" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
    broadcasting from
    "the vinyl basement"

build trail!

namagomi
    ... yep.

mtbr member
    Toronto News: Mariam Makhniashvili

Although the remains have not been identified, I clearly remember doing a solo night ride exploring that exact area about 2.5 months after Mariam disappeared. I even g-mapped it since it was in my pre-garmin days. Dated in my bookmarks as Nov 26/09. From the Star's description of the spot I would have gotten VERY close to this location, but it is funny as I descended some sweet singletrack maybe a few 100m north of there I heard a loud noise (gunshot-ish) that freaked the hell out of me and I got out of there as soon as I possibly could. Thought I was being a bit paranoid but I guess some bad things do happen in T.O. ravines. Also led my Grand Tour de Don through there this past Thanksgiving.

I read this article late last night and to be honest it creeped me out big time. I am a big fan of exploring off the beaten path in the city, usually by myself, and have consciously (and morbidly) wondered if I ever might come across something terrible. This discovery does not assuage that fear.

namagomi
    Quote Originally Posted by veteran_youth View Post

Although the remains have not been identified, I clearly remember doing a solo night ride exploring that exact area about 2.5 months after Mariam disappeared. I even g-mapped it since it was in my pre-garmin days. Dated in my bookmarks as Nov 26/09. From the Star's description of the spot I would have gotten VERY close to this location, but it is funny as I descended some sweet singletrack maybe a few 100m north of there I heard a loud noise (gunshot-ish) that freaked the hell out of me and I got out of there as soon as I possibly could. Thought I was being a bit paranoid but I guess some bad things do happen in T.O. ravines. Also led my Grand Tour de Don through there this past Thanksgiving.

I read this article late last night and to be honest it creeped me out big time. I am a big fan of exploring off the beaten path in the city, usually by myself, and have consciously (and morbidly) wondered if I ever might come across something terrible. This discovery does not assuage that fear.
    I've passed within a few meters of a corpse in a ditch, to my credit it is a steep ditch, so I got ya beat there. Anyways, as somebody who ventures into the outdoors eventually you'll stumble onto one. My friend found a woman who'd hung herself. Pretty much ruined their hiking trip.

Anyways, I wouldn't dick around in certain ravines by the Etobicoke creek, particularly from dusk till dawn.

Evil Jr.

Stuff happens. There's a trail in Dundas called the Dead Guy Trail... for a reason.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Anyways, I wouldn't dick around in certain ravines by the Etobicoke creek, particularly from dusk till dawn.
    Well, the worst thing that's happened to me in that area is getting flashed by drunk underage girls. And getting buzzed from 2nd hand weed smoke.

namagomi
    Quote Originally Posted by aerius View Post
    Well, the worst thing that's happened to me in that area is getting flashed by drunk underage girls. And getting buzzed from 2nd hand weed smoke.
    Proof those ravine is where you'd go to not be noticed? I guess you got off light. I think would be pretty easy to get jumped at some points.

humber river advocate
    just riding through?

broadcasting from
    "the vinyl basement"

build trail!

namagomi
    ... lol-ita!!

namagomi

Guess you were imagining things?
    Mariam Makhniashvili's death a suspected suicide - Toronto - CBC News

mtbr member
    Yeah....I never really thought that the noise was actually somebody meeting their demise, just that I was freaked out at the time and the discovery reinforced that feeling.

But...I do wonder what kind of noise a body impacting from 100'+ might make (though I hope to never find out first hand).

And I also wonder how it is that nobody noticed a girl walking what must have been a fair distance along the 401 and jumping off the edge, especially given the huge amount of publicity her disappearance garnered. I guess texting and driving really is a big problem.

Rest in peace. Another sad story to join the memorials I see under the Leaside bridge by the path sometimes.

namagomi
    Yeah....I never really thought that the noise was actually somebody meeting their demise, just that I was freaked out at the time and the discovery reinforced that feeling.

But...I do wonder what kind of noise a body impacting from 100'+ might make (though I hope to never find out first hand).

And I also wonder how it is that nobody noticed a girl walking what must have been a fair distance along the 401 and jumping off the edge, especially given the huge amount of publicity her disappearance garnered. I guess texting and driving really is a big problem.

Rest in peace. Another sad story to join the memorials I see under the Leaside bridge by the path sometimes.
    Texting is a problem, but who knows what happened, I wonder if the MTO would have their camera footage archived. I remember a cyclist in Mississauga was hit and flew over the side of a bridge. At first it was thought to be a suicide, but the hit and run driver came forward.

I'm sure the internet could answer your question regarding the body... If you dared. Likely nothing like a gunshot though.

humber river advocate
    and the bloor viaduct...

broadcasting from
    "the vinyl basement"

build trail!

mtbr member
    Since this whole thing went down basically at the end of my street, I gotta add a few things here. You mentioned the SBDR route passing nearby and as you may or may not know, there is actually a short section of trail even closer to the overpass that leads to a junky old BMX pit. Beyond that the valley is almost entirely occupied by the construction zone parking lot, the river, and golf course, with no usable trails. And I guess just enough vegetation.

And far be it for me to defend the observation skills of Toronto drivers, but:

The only way I can picture a pedestrian walking onto the overpass is from the ramp to southbound Yonge. In 2009-2010 the lanes of the southern quarter of that bridge were closed off for bridge rebuilding and there was a semi-continuous row of construction trailers between the live lanes and the south side of the bridge. Wouldn't have been too hard to walk up there unnoticed if the construction guys weren't around.
    The above statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration

mtbr member
    Toronto News: Body found near pond in Durham region - thestar.com

It's north of Uxbridge, but it's in the Durham Forest/Glen-Majors region.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Braids View Post
    Toronto News: Body found near pond in Durham region - thestar.com

It's north of Uxbridge, but it's in the Durham Forest/Glen-Majors region.
    It's a good distance from Durham Forest, but within a couple hundred meters of where I was riding last night

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    The only proper thing to do if you discover a body on the trail is to ride over it.

Anything else and you'll be dumbing down the trail.

*flee!*

namagomi
    Quote Originally Posted by Fyrblade View Post
    The only proper thing to do if you discover a body on the trail is to ride over it.

*flee!*
    Well, we certainly wouldn't want any braiding or dirty sidis. If you want to volunteer to lie down on the singletrack at Albion so people can practice... Just post up a date!

Evil Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fyrblade View Post

*flee!*
    lol!

mtbr member
    ok, this wasn't a body but one of the stranger pieces of garbage I've found in Mono Park. A half full (empty?) can of axe body spray. WTF? Maybe, just maybe I can see taking it in with you but why toss it onto the side of the trail?
    Friends don't let friends cheer for the TML

No. Just No.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dgage View Post
    ok, this wasn't a body but one of the stranger pieces of garbage I've found in Mono Park. A half full (empty?) can of axe body spray. WTF? Maybe, just maybe I can see taking it in with you but why toss it onto the side of the trail?
    In case someone else needs to use it to freshen up while on the trail? Seems very sharing.

Evil Jr.
    I was just thinking about this thread the other day. I think this woman was one of the bodies that was recently found in Caledon: Slain Brampton woman’s sister-in-law charged with murder . Very weird circumstances.

mtbr member
    I found a body in Mono Cliffs Park today. Ok, It was still alive but still a body.
    I had just finished coming down puke hill and could hear someone calling for "Norbert" I thought somebody lost their dog and hoped they would find it before it got dark. Keeping my eyes open for it, I got near the southern part of the park and found Norbert, lost and confuse standing in the middle of the trail. Only "Norbert" was a OPP officer taking part in a training exercise. As I rode by him I asked if he was lost. I was just joking with him but then He said Yes. So I stopped and asked if his name was Norbert? You should of seen the look on his face!! He had been lost for two hours! I got him back on the right path, then rode back to where I heard his buddies yelling for him and found them and sent them back to where Norbert should of ended up. Hopefully they had a happy reunion.

No. Just No.
    Wonder if Norbert failed his training exercise?

humber river advocate
    ok... getting lost in mono cliffs for real? good thing it was daylight...
    broadcasting from
    "the vinyl basement"

build trail!

mtbr member
    ok... getting lost in mono cliffs for real? good thing it was daylight...
    yep and he had compass and a topo map of the park.
    People get lost in there quite a bit. I once met a group at the 1st line of mono and the 20th sideroad. They had parked on the third line, walked through the park, into the Dufferin Forest and along the trail (which is mostly swamp) to get to the 20th. Had to explain to them they were no longer in the park and the easiest way back to their car was a long walk along the roads. I guessed they were two hours away from their car as they also had children with them.

Ms. Monster
    Mar 2007
    The Globe has been reading this thread!
    locals-fear-mounting-body-count-in-idyllic-corner-of-gta

mtbr member
    We saw a pretty fresh looking spine lying on the trail Thursday night. Looked to be an animal's going by the size, but it was a bit strange.

humber river advocate
    caledon implements new measures...

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/grbSQ6O6kbs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
    broadcasting from
    "the vinyl basement"

build trail!

Movin' to Montana soon
    Jul 2011
    <iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/vXQcCC6zBIc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

humber river advocate
    ahhh haven't heard that song in a while...

total dragula... which is a grandpa munster's whip...

put a bike rack on that and it would be perfect shuttle for the enduro alley cat down the dingle...
    broadcasting from
    "the vinyl basement"

build trail!

humber river advocate
    yeah, i've thought about this.... i think we need a coolective policey that all the landmangers can agree too... respect for the enviroment first, history second...

yo earth day!

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/QnurT1Ikcbk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

yep and he had compass and a topo map of the park.
    People get lost in there quite a bit. I once met a group at the 1st line of mono and the 20th sideroad. They had parked on the third line, walked through the park, into the Dufferin Forest and along the trail (which is mostly swamp) to get to the 20th. Had to explain to them they were no longer in the park and the easiest way back to their car was a long walk along the roads. I guessed they were two hours away from their car as they also had children with them.
    broadcasting from
    "the vinyl basement"

build trail!

9 lives
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

humber river advocate
    probally ran out of gas before reaching caledon...
    broadcasting from
    "the vinyl basement"

build trail!

No. Just No.
    probally ran out of gas before reaching caledon...
    Comedy gold. In a sad way.

9 lives
    I wasn;t sure where to post this up: Wildlife on the trail? Cool Things Seen?. Then I noticed the last sentence... yikes... keep your eyes open!

Toronto News: Alligator found in Brampton backyard - thestar.com

what do you do if you find a body?-374b1d0b43e39f1ca5d574abc40b.jpg
    Brampton house owners were shocked to discover a live, three-foot long alligator in their backyard Sunday afternoon.

“It was just hanging around their backyard,” said neighbour John Dryden who grabbed his camera and took pictures of the reptile. “It must have been somebody’s exotic pet.”

The homeowners on Elliot St., couldn’t reach anyone, so they called Peel Regional Police.

The uninvited long weekend visitor was the talk of the downtown Brampton neighbourhood and the curious gathered around, effectively containing it until Animal Control arrived.

“It came up against a fence in the corner (of the yard) and people were sitting around watching it,” Dryden said.

Brampton Animal Control officers used a catch-pull to capture it, a device normally used to capture aggressive dogs.

It’s the first alligator-on-the-loose call Brampton Animal Control officers have ever dealt with.

It isn’t known where the ‘gator came from, or who brought it to Brampton, but it is being given a one-way ticket out of the city.

“Arrangements are being made for the alligator to be relocated out of Brampton,” according to city spokesperson Natalie Daniel.

The alligator was approximately 2 1/2 to 3 feet long, she said.

“It was very interesting,” Dryden said of the whole experience.

Two months ago, a four-foot long alligator was found dead in a ditch in Caledon.
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

I Strava Hamburgers

No. Just No.
    Nice 'toon edit.

humber river advocate
    lol, dump your dead alligators in caledon

waste of good meat if you ask me...

Alligator Beignets Fritters ) Recipe - Food.com - 471559
    broadcasting from
    "the vinyl basement"

build trail!

mtbr member
    When road-riding nowadays, I find myself glancing in the ditches looking for a pair of feet or a severed head.

Evil Jr.
    Last week, one of our guys was out working on a trail at Christie Lake and he found a branch-covered blanket in the woods that had a suspicious looking lump in it. Curiosity got the better of him and he used a pair of loppers to lift the blanket...

Underneath, he found the fairly recent remains of a short-haired dog along with some other mementos such as a tennis ball and other doggy stuff. "Fido's" final resting place.

We've decided to leave it all exactly where it was found.

Evil Jr.
    Anyone receive any mysterious packages in the mail recently?

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    On the bright side, that's one body that ain't getting dumped in Caledon.
    On the other hand I wouldn't be suprised if a few body parts end up there.

I'll talk to my buddy in Postal and see if he knows anything.

Evil Jr.
    are you a conservative party member?
    The Liberals were this -><- close to getting a left hand.

humber river advocate
    are you a conservative party member?
    broadcasting from
    "the vinyl basement"

build trail!

humber river advocate
    i take that for a yes... but are you a Christian Conservative ?
    broadcasting from
    "the vinyl basement"

build trail!

I dd what you see there.
    or you could always gnaw on the person's face without concern if they're alive or not!
    2002 Cannondale Jekyll 800
    2011 Trek Cronus CX Ultimate

humber river advocate

bath salts... noooooooooo...

Quote Originally Posted by XLNC View Post
    or you could always gnaw on the person's face without concern if they're alive or not!
    Last edited by singlesprocket; 05-31-2012 at 07:41 PM. Reason: bath salts... noooooooooo...
    broadcasting from
    "the vinyl basement"

build trail!

Evil Jr.
    Zombie apocalypse!

I dd what you see there.
    Oh dude, his GF is claiming now, that because he is of Haitian decent, voodoo had a part in it too!
    If that's the case:

Dear Miami Police:
    All will be revealed here -

Evil Jr.
    Oh dude, his GF is claiming now, that because he is of Haitian decent, voodoo had a part in it too!
    If that's the case:

Dear Miami Police:
    All will be revealed here -
    Completely OT, but I'd totally forgotten about Lords of Acid until they showed up on the Sucker Punch soundtrack. Ah memories of 2nd year UW...

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/CfDZqsSh69o" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

mtbr member
    On the bright side, that's one body that ain't getting dumped in Caledon.
    On the other hand I wouldn't be suprised if a few body parts end up there.

I'll talk to my buddy in Postal and see if he knows anything.
    "On the other hand"... Get it?

I Strava Hamburgers
    Quote Originally Posted by Thatshowiroll View Post
    "On the other hand"... Get it?
    That's terrible...

... that I laughed at that.

mtbr member
    Zombie apocalypse!
    Do zombies ride flats or clips?

mtbr member
    Zombie apocalypse!
    It's spreading, look at the news out of Maryland this morning.
    U.S. man confesses killing, eating roommate's heart, brain | Sympatico.ca News

mtbr member
    Do zombies ride flats or clips?
    Looks like flats and it would seem that only the roadies are in any immediate danger!

zombies on bicycles - Bing

I dd what you see there.
    continuing on this off-topic tangent,

Is it law for zombie children to wear helmets?

9 lives
    Quote Originally Posted by donorco View Post
    It's spreading, look at the news out of Maryland this morning.
    U.S. man confesses killing, eating roommate's heart, brain | Sympatico.ca News
    Zombies are winning
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by donorco View Post
    Looks like flats and it would seem that only the roadies are in any immediate danger!

zombies on bicycles - Bing
    Of course they ride flats! They could lose a foot or leg twisting their heel to unclip!!

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    continuing on this off-topic tangent,

Is it law for zombie children to wear helmets?
    NO, not wearing a helmet made them that way

mtbr member
    I hope to not ever come across a body while biking, well not a dead one.

humber river advocate

weird stuff happens

you know you just jinxed yourself typing that...

Quote Originally Posted by JerB View Post
    I hope to not ever come across a body while biking, well not a dead one.
    broadcasting from
    "the vinyl basement"

build trail!

humber river advocate
    broadcasting from
    "the vinyl basement"

build trail!

I dd what you see there.
    You know, I've been fishing in the Grand River at my Trailer in Brantford a lot this summer and I've commented many times that I thought the river was "down a foot." Guess I know where it went now....

Where'd that midget with the snare drum go?

mtbr member
    They found a body in a park I ride by sometimes twice a week. This could have been an all too real question.

Peel police are combing Mississauga’s Hewick Meadows Park after two grisly discoveries were made in as many days. Investigators announced Thursday they’d found the severed head of a female a day after hikers discovered a human foot.

The woman’s head was found around noon Thursday in the Credit River, about a kilometre north of the site where a right foot was also discovered in the river by hikers.

Evil Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by secret agent View Post
    The woman’s head was found around noon Thursday in the Credit River, about a kilometre north of the site where a right foot was also discovered in the river by hikers.
    Ew.

9 lives
    Woman

More developments on this creepy case.

The Credit River strart in the Niagara Escarpment, runs through Caledon (Orangeville and Brampton)
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

mtbr member
    I passed by there yesterday on my ride. It is part of my usual weekly rides. I took this picture from the bridge on Eglinton. That appears to be the command post. There are a bunch more vehicles just north of these (to the right of the picture). All the media trucks were parked around the corner on a side street. Lots of onlookers. The path you see is the Culham Trail.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails what do you do if you find a body?-credit-picture.jpg  

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Is it just me or do you lot have way to much a fascination with dead bodies. Is it some kind of necrophelia fetish?

Evil Jr.
    Is it just me or do you lot have way to much a fascination with dead bodies. Is it some kind of necrophelia fetish?
    "Ask not for whom the bell tolls. It tolls for thee."

mtbr member
    If the question is directed at me, I do not have any fascination with cadavers or their bits and pieces. It just happens that this is in a spot I ride by or a regular basis and that there is a thread dedicated to the topic. Seems kind of a stretch to take a passing (literally) interest in a pretty large police investigation to some kind of perverse sexual proclivity.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Wow it's like a episode of Dexter, but for real!!

9 lives
    If the shoe fits...

humans? Yes I am qualified to hunt humans.
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

humber river advocate
    Quote Originally Posted by secret agent View Post
    I passed by there yesterday on my ride. It is part of my usual weekly rides. I took this picture from the bridge on Eglinton. That appears to be the command post. There are a bunch more vehicles just north of these (to the right of the picture). All the media trucks were parked around the corner on a side street. Lots of onlookers. The path you see is the Culham Trail.

good update...
    broadcasting from
    "the vinyl basement"

build trail!

humber river advocate
    it's just you...

this is my fav crime drama on tv right now other then breaking bad...

Murdoch Mysteries - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

great eastern canada tv content, kinda cheesy, but alot fun...
    broadcasting from
    "the vinyl basement"

build trail!

humber river advocate
    Quote Originally Posted by pucked up View Post
    Wow it's like a episode of Dexter, but for real!!
    yeah who knows who is dumping garbage bags from fishing boats into lake ontario...
    broadcasting from
    "the vinyl basement"

build trail!

Evil Jr.
    It seems they've found more bits and pieces of this woman in Scarborough and they're very close to a positive ID. Whoever did this seems to have gone through a lot of trouble. Yuck.

All my faucets is Moen.
    Everytime this thread pops to the top of the cue it makes me want to watch Stand By Me.
    Just sayin'

Evil Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by thedumbopinion View Post
    Everytime this thread pops to the top of the cue it makes me want to watch Stand By Me.
    Just sayin'
    Now there's an interesting "where are they now" film.

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Hunch is it's a copy cat crime.

I dd what you see there.
    Now there's an interesting "where are they now" film.
    One made it to Star Trek
    One made was able marry Rebecca Romjin
    One is quite possibly Skrillex
    and the last one became a junky and won the Viper Room's Halloween Grand pize which turned out to be an trip across the Medical Examiner's table before becoming garden mulch.

humber river advocate
    broadcasting from
    "the vinyl basement"

build trail!

humber river advocate
    broadcasting from
    "the vinyl basement"

build trail!

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Yes.. that justifies it all. You post reeks of ignorance and prejudice.

humber river advocate
    Yes.. that justifies it all. You post reeks of ignorance and prejudice.
    now where do i say that murder is justified? "spas" are a front for prostitution in the toronto area, that is a fact. recent news...

Prostitution raid at North York spa: Police arrest 2, find 16-year-old girl - thestar.com

organized crime is involved in "spas" on many levels... some of the rackets include protection, prostitution/pimping, illegal immigration/slavery, blackmail, etc...
    broadcasting from
    "the vinyl basement"

build trail!

mtbr member
    now where do i say that murder is justified? "spas" are a front for prostitution in the toronto area, that is a fact. recent news...

Prostitution raid at North York spa: Police arrest 2, find 16-year-old girl - thestar.com

organized crime is involved in "spas" on many levels... some of the rackets include protection, prostitution/pimping, illegal immigration/slavery, blackmail, etc...

Then why even post it at all.

A woman was brutally murdered, surely suffered in ways that are unimaginable and your response to to imply that her choice of career was involved and possibly explains the end results.

I know you are goign to come back with some stupid stastistics and claim you never made that assumption, but I am telling you, that is how it is interpreted, by me, apparently by others as well.

Watch what you write, think about it first, and have as much repect and dignity as you are always claiming to put forth on this forum.
    Straight outta Rossland

I dd what you see there.
    Actually I agree with SS. I'd wager 90% of the time organized crime plays a LARGE part in those type of establishments that are on their "turf" (even legitimate"spas") and when they have such an "investment" in them, if you're not willing to play by their rules, they'll just "remove" you because "if you're not with them, you're against them" so to speak.

And not to belittle the situation, but considering how "brazen" and violent those thugs are, would you put it past them to dismember one of their victims?

mtbr member
    Actually I agree with SS. I'd wager 90% of the time organized crime plays a LARGE part in those type of establishments that are on their "turf" (even legitimate"spas") and when they have such an "investment" in them, if you're not willing to play by their rules, they'll just "remove" you because "if you're not with them, you're against them" so to speak.

And not to belittle the situation, but considering how "brazen" and violent those thugs are, would you put it past them to dismember one of their victims?
    I'll end here, I don't like arguing (seriously) on the internet.

I have no delusion that certain industries and working in them increase your likely hood of undergoing job related safety issues.

Irrespective of that, one line, poignant blanket statements that explain nothing, suggest that 'if you play, you will pay' and show no remorse for what is a heinous crime, is tasteless in my opinion.
    Straight outta Rossland

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by CptSydor View Post
    Irrespective of that, one line, poignant blanket statements that explain nothing, suggest that 'if you play, you will pay' and show no remorse for what is a heinous crime, is tasteless in my opinion.
    In my experience in the last decade these are the same kind of mental midgets wwho also can be heard saying,

If Hubby was around this wouldn;'t have happened
    What happens to single parents
    See.. this is whhat broken families cause

And so on. All so it makes the over educated feel better while looking down on the choices of others.

I dd what you see there.
    I'll end here, I don't like arguing (seriously) on the internet.

I have no delusion that certain industries and working in them increase your likely hood of undergoing job related safety issues.

Oh I'm not arguing. Nor am I implying that she was the author of her own misfortune by the profession she chose. In fact, I have great sympathy for her and her family. I posted on another forum yesterday that (and I'm not saying I understand why someone would murder someone else but) I'm just speechless when it comes to the disdain, or the lack of respect that an individual shows when after taking someone else's life, they also dismember the body.

However, in my original statement, what I was trying to say was that the poor woman didn't come to being dismembered by her own accord; someone is behind it. It wouldn't surprise me at all if it came out that it was organized crime "business" behind it. That's just how they work. But I'm not justifying the action whatsoever, because you're 100% correct - no 'facts' of the case will subtract from the tragedy whatsoever.

humber river advocate
    so rub and tugs are wholesome safe businesses that you want in your community?
    i think the claimed indignities are a bit naive and really have a seperate agenda.

though it is important to talk about such things as a cycling communty and as a community in general rather then sweep such issues under the rug.

having mountain bikers on the trails has shown to reduce crime in that trail area and add a level of security to other stakeholders. security/safety is often disscused at trail meetings and is a major concern.

Then why even post it at all.

A woman was brutally murdered, surely suffered in ways that are unimaginable and your response to to imply that her choice of career was involved and possibly explains the end results.

I know you are goign to come back with some stupid stastistics and claim you never made that assumption, but I am telling you, that is how it is interpreted, by me, apparently by others as well.

Watch what you write, think about it first, and have as much repect and dignity as you are always claiming to put forth on this forum.
    broadcasting from
    "the vinyl basement"

build trail!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0