Went to albion yesterday- Mtbr.com

Mar 2004

Went to albion yesterday

It's me complaining the weather again, with all the recent rains who can resist a day of nice sunshine. So yesterday I went to albion, lots of wet leaves and some mud. And I love to get a bit muddy , but couldn't really enjoyed it. Usually I'll do 3 laps, but after the first climb I felt something was wrong, with a little bit of cold and didn't get much sleep the night before. Thought to myself just to complete the 1st first lap in a slow peace and see how it'd go. My throat felt so dry and I kept sucking water from my camelbak. Then at half way there was that short but steep climb. I pushed myself up and once I reach the top, I throw up, yuck!!! Sorry to have dirty up the trail. It was ugly and embrassing. I then slowly pedal back to my car, went home, clean up myself and went to get some takeout for dinner. Had a big headaches last night, took some pills and when I woke up this morning I feel better. But then the sky is pouring rain again.

mtbr member
    Esmundo, ya gotta get the rides in when you can this time of year!! I went to Hilton Falls for a nooner yesterday, stayed close to the north entrance on Sixth Line. (Forgot my seat bag, didn't want to get too far away in case something broke, I wouldn't be able to fix it)
    It was a beautiful day for a ride, especially compared to today. The singletrack was a little hard to see in spots, you had to follow the trial of squashed leaves which sometimes seemed to disappear. It was a little slippery in spots too, with the leaves being still wet.
    Sounds like all you needed was some takeout food!!!
    Last edited by langford; 11-04-2004 at 10:55 AM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    This is my 1st year of biking and I have to say, the off-season really sucks. After biking singletrack and tossing in some night time road or rail trail rides 2-4 times a week since April, this rain and darkness is very depressing. Although I xcountry and downhill ski, and will continue to try and ride the bike, I cannot wait until the spring.

Mar 2004

off-season redefined

Quote Originally Posted by noonievut
    This is my 1st year of biking and I have to say, the off-season really sucks. After biking singletrack and tossing in some night time road or rail trail rides 2-4 times a week since April, this rain and darkness is very depressing. Although I xcountry and downhill ski, and will continue to try and ride the bike, I cannot wait until the spring.
    I'm sure everyone will agree that off season sucks. However, is also my first year in mtnbiking and I have to say, no more 'off-season' for me. It may be off-season for biking at the moment but once you step on your ski there'll be no more 'sucks' feeling. I've always have that empty and 'off-season' feel during green season because I hadn't found any activities that I absolutely felt in love with beside skiing. Now I got two things in my life that I love to do with passion. White or green, we always have something to enjoy. Wonderful isn't it. Well of course except the rain it really suck. Hope that it won't rain, like last year during X'mas and people have to water ski down the slope.

Jun 2004
    usually i stick with road training (dressed nice and warm) for the off-season...if the weather is bad borrow a trainer or buy one and use it on the really groggy days..but if you dress warmly and if you want put on snow tires on your bike then road training works well once the snow becomes hardpacked - if not put away the bike and head off to the gym for the winter

They say I have a problem

Exactly....

Quote Originally Posted by BenDavidson
    usually i stick with road training (dressed nice and warm) for the off-season...if the weather is bad borrow a trainer or buy one and use it on the really groggy days..but if you dress warmly and if you want put on snow tires on your bike then road training works well once the snow becomes hardpacked - if not put away the bike and head off to the gym for the winter
    That is exactly what my wife and I do once the weather gets nasty...

As long as things stay relatively dry and snow free we stick with the trails and road to keep our ride season going. Then once it gets real nasty out we just move indoors to the gym and ride the lifecycle for an hour 3 times a week and add in some necessary weight training. We followed that routine and when spring hit it was like we were never off the bike....

Of course I dread the first few weeks in the gym on the lifecycles....Being on the bike is so much better...

Rich
    "The meek shall inherit the earth"

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Not sure where you ski but you can always come our race crew and get privledges to ski at a private ski club here in the collingwood area. The trails are in alot better shape than over at Blue mtn and the lift line waits are almost non existant. We set up and tear down the race courses and maintain the course while the kids race. Theres lots of time for free skiing too. Something to think about

Quote Originally Posted by esmundo
    I'm sure everyone will agree that off season sucks. However, is also my first year in mtnbiking and I have to say, no more 'off-season' for me. It may be off-season for biking at the moment but once you step on your ski there'll be no more 'sucks' feeling. I've always have that empty and 'off-season' feel during green season because I hadn't found any activities that I absolutely felt in love with beside skiing. Now I got two things in my life that I love to do with passion. White or green, we always have something to enjoy. Wonderful isn't it. Well of course except the rain it really suck. Hope that it won't rain, like last year during X'mas and people have to water ski down the slope.

rad to the power of sick
    Yeah...

winter sucks.

I usually run on a treadmill during the winter and experiment with training plans. I absolutely despise running but what can you do.

However make sure you get out a couple times during the winter. It can be very fun. Find some gravel paths and if you get graced with a small 5 cm snowfall those gravel trails can become alot of fun, you've still got the grip factor and the snow make the turns feel like you're in a rally car...ok ok.. maybe not EXACTLY like a rally car. But hey its winter, you gotta find excitement somewhere!
    Some great sets for the trainer:
    https://www.mixcloud.com/djfeelgood/

livin' large
    Off season? There is no bad weather only bad clothes, I get out and play year round sometimes on the bike sometimes on skis no matter to me playing outside beats pretentending your a rat on a wheel in the gym or lifting things that don't need to be moved.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by canadian-clydesdale
    playing outside beats pretentending your a rat on a wheel in the gym or lifting things that don't need to be moved.
    I agree with ya, CC - I just can't do that inside stuff. I've commuted to work on the bike the past 2 winters, had studded tires last year, it was great riding in snowstorms, usually faster than people in cars! Just get an old rigid MTB, put fenders, rack, lights and slicks for the non snow days and you're good to go. My limit is about -15 C, might try some warmer clothes for this year - usually it's the hands and feet that get cold.

livin' large
    Big winter trick, lose the clipless pedals and shoes, platforms or clips and straps with warmer shoes (I have great luck with goretex trail running shoes/hikers -28C plus wind chill was my limit {used to live in ThunderBay where that temp doesn't sound as unreasonable as here in the baumy south}

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by esmundo
    It's me complaining the weather again, with all the recent rains who can resist a day of nice sunshine. So yesterday I went to albion, lots of wet leaves and some mud. And I love to get a bit muddy , but couldn't really enjoyed it. Usually I'll do 3 laps, but after the first climb I felt something was wrong, with a little bit of cold and didn't get much sleep the night before. Thought to myself just to complete the 1st first lap in a slow peace and see how it'd go. My throat felt so dry and I kept sucking water from my camelbak. Then at half way there was that short but steep climb. I pushed myself up and once I reach the top, I throw up, yuck!!! Sorry to have dirty up the trail. It was ugly and embrassing. I then slowly pedal back to my car, went home, clean up myself and went to get some takeout for dinner. Had a big headaches last night, took some pills and when I woke up this morning I feel better. But then the sky is pouring rain again.
    I hate these off days. I went biking today, and I couldn't even make the first steep and long climb!! I think I was catching a cold because I wasn't dressed the properly. It's just really frustrating because I used to make up those hills without too much effort.

I guess not sleeping enough for a week really doesn't do any good to your health.

Ming

Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by macming
    I hate these off days. I went biking today, and I couldn't even make the first steep and long climb!! I think I was catching a cold because I wasn't dressed the properly. It's just really frustrating because I used to make up those hills without too much effort.

I guess not sleeping enough for a week really doesn't do any good to your health.

Ming
    lol..i went for a ride today too :P - i was fine except face was a little cold..jersey+thermal arm/leg warmers, booties and some wind proof gloves and i was fine :P

mtbr member
    lol..i went for a ride today too :P - i was fine except face was a little cold..jersey+thermal arm/leg warmers, booties and some wind proof gloves and i was fine :P
    Lol...I was wearing spandex, a T-shirt w/ a wind breaker. No wonder why I was cold!!!

The university cycling club is organizing a trip to Hardwood Hills in a week or two. I'll go if there is no snow on the ground and I guess I'll have to dress much warmer!!

Ming

bi-winning
    Saturday and Sunday i got out to hit the trails. I was ok with my thermal jersy and some track pants. I think this is the deepest into the off season i have ever gone This year i have ridden way more than i ever have, so i guess i should be a little happy. I don't think I will be going for too many rides in the snow though. I sure will miss riding though. I saw snowflakes in the air today and then when the snow finally melts in the spring, the ground will thaw and turn to mush. I wish the season was longer... maybe i'll llok into getting an indoor bike for cheap. Riding is great training for hockey.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rkj__
    maybe i'll llok into getting an indoor bike for cheap. Riding is great training for hockey.
    You're right, RK, biking is great training for hockey - I played in 3 games in 2 days in a tournament 2 years ago after not even skating for 3 years (went out for public skating the night before to check out the blades) and felt great, no aches and pains at all, because I had been bike commuting all winter and was in decent shape from that.

I got in a road ride yesterday, wore the shorts for 47 km in Hamilton 3 times up the escarpment, 3 times down, all on different accesses. (Up the Kenilworth, Claremont and Queen St. hill) A great ride, could still see paint on the roads from the World Cycling Championships! The legs were a little tired for hockey last night, but once I got skating, everything worked well!

Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by rkj__
    Saturday and Sunday i got out to hit the trails. I was ok with my thermal jersy and some track pants. I think this is the deepest into the off season i have ever gone This year i have ridden way more than i ever have, so i guess i should be a little happy. I don't think I will be going for too many rides in the snow though. I sure will miss riding though. I saw snowflakes in the air today and then when the snow finally melts in the spring, the ground will thaw and turn to mush. I wish the season was longer... maybe i'll llok into getting an indoor bike for cheap. Riding is great training for hockey.
    hmmm...any suggestions on a nice long-sleeved (good-looking :P) thermal jersey? ive been in the market for a nice jacket for early spring and fall and warm clothes in general...hmmm - im probably going to ride my old bike around a bit during the winter to preserve my nice one - yeah...soany suggestions on stores..

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Back to Albion, anyone been there in the last couple of days...how is it?

I have Rememberance day off so I'm thinking of going in the morning.

I was at Terra Cotta on the weekend and the trails are covered with leaves...which becomes a bit dangerous as you don't know what's lurking beneath!

bi-winning
    hmmm...any suggestions on a nice long-sleeved (good-looking :P) thermal jersey? ive been in the market for a nice jacket for early spring and fall and warm clothes in general...hmmm - im probably going to ride my old bike around a bit during the winter to preserve my nice one - yeah...soany suggestions on stores..
    I got the jersey at Bike-Fit in Niagara Falls about 2 years ago. Don't use it often, but when i do i apreciate it.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    So I went to Albion on Thursday and it was in great condition. The 1st 3-5 km of trails had lots of leaves, but as you enter the pines, it was like mid-summer conditions.

As I hadn't rode xcountry for over a month I thought I would be very rusty, but was pleasently surprised that my road biking paid off (well, on everything but the very steep hills, where I did struggle a bit).

I will be heading there on Sat & Sun...

I already rode that
    Did you go there on sat? if so how was the conditions? I want to see if my friends will go out that way on sunday but they usually seem bent on durham. How many times we've been there this year I'm surprised some of them still ask me for directions which way to the parking lot etc... lol

May 2004

Hockey

I play hockey in the winter to keep in shape.
    It's great exercise and since the ski slopes are 2 hour drive for me, easier to do every week.
    I usually still bike every couple of weeks throughtout the winter.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperNewb
    Did you go there on sat? if so how was the conditions? I want to see if my friends will go out that way on sunday but they usually seem bent on durham. How many times we've been there this year I'm surprised some of them still ask me for directions which way to the parking lot etc... lol
    I was there Saturday & Sunday; conditions were great! I was there before noon each day and the ground was starting to soften up, with mud in spots, but at this time of year you can't complain. I did get lost in the early part of the course (where you veer right, up the hill) because of the leaves, but I think the chico boys were there working on the course, so I followed the sound of the saw! I hope the trails stay like this until the 1st major snow fall, would be great.