Weekend Bike Trip?- Mtbr.com

May 2006

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead! Weekend Bike Trip?

Just wondering if anyone could tell me a good place to go for a weekend bike trip? It seems a lot of places do not have enough trails (>50 km) for us to still be interested on the 2nd or 3rd day.
    Prefer for the trail to be within 3 or 4 hrs of T.O. and hoping to find a campsite or somewhere to stay in or around the trail system.
    FYI - the bikers would be between intermediate towards advanced...or using Don Valley as a reference, we have done it many times and looking for something as or a bit more difficult than that.

Thanks for your help.

banned
    Feb 2005
    Buckwallow-Hardwoodhills-Blue Mountain

The Bruce : Carrick Tract-Brant Tract- Bike Adventure Park www.explorethebruce.com

Ellicottville New York www.wnymba.org

Good luck and post back with some pics if something works out.

Custom User Title

collingwood

my suggestion.

rather than driving all over the country-side...town of Collingwood.

hip little ski town that bikes in the off-season. get a room and hit a bike store or two on the main strip (being a small town, the main strip is easy to locate)

talk to the staff and buy a map or two. you can ride 3-stages (20/30km ?) Kalapore (20/30km ?) or even experiment at Blue Mountain and take a few lifts to the top.
    http://www.bluemountain.ca/mtnbike.htm

stay at Blue Moutain if you are $$ otherwise there are lots of motels, nothing trails side but only 5-10 mintues away.

one warning... Craigleith Provincial Park is lame! narrow strip of hard packed dirt between highway and Georgian Bay.

May 2004

Gravenhurst

Actually i'm going on a trip myself... Staying at the Gravenhurst KOA, which is right next to Buckwallow... Porcupine ridge is said to be about 10-15 min away and Ravenshoe doesn't look too far off either (on the map at least...).
    Never been to any of these places but have heard great things about them (in the trail review section)...

Custom User Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Arrazo
    Actually i'm going on a trip myself... Staying at the Gravenhurst KOA, which is right next to Buckwallow... Porcupine ridge is said to be about 10-15 min away and Ravenshoe doesn't look too far off either (on the map at least...).
    Never been to any of these places but have heard great things about them (in the trail review section)...
    dude, you are bang on with Buckwallow and Porcupine Ridge... but Ravenshoe?

it might be on the way to or from somewhere, but it is at least 1.5 hours way from Gravenhurst, where you coming from? Ravenshoe is cool but there are a dozen other spots that might be closer and worth catching, depending on your route...

May 2006
    Thanks for the great advice, and I'm coming from Scarborough.

The Collingwood thing seems sweet since there's about three decent places there.

I would also like to go up to Gravenhurst but thinking that Porcupine might be a bit too challening for a couple of beginner/intermediates we have in our group... (of 4 or 5)
    Buckwallow's reviews seem amazing though and heard they have something for everyone, but not sure if it's worth it just for that, since Porcupine may be out of the question??

Can't wait to go (around end of July)

Muskoka
    Quote Originally Posted by lingenfelter7
    Thanks for the great advice, and I'm coming from Scarborough.

The Collingwood thing seems sweet since there's about three decent places there.

I would also like to go up to Gravenhurst but thinking that Porcupine might be a bit too challening for a couple of beginner/intermediates we have in our group... (of 4 or 5)
    Buckwallow's reviews seem amazing though and heard they have something for everyone, but not sure if it's worth it just for that, since Porcupine may be out of the question??

Can't wait to go (around end of July)
    Porcupine Ridge is not for beginners for sure. But I think it would be pretty hard to get bored with Buckwallow in just one weekend. And there are other trails close by. Hahne Farm starts right there in town... a favourite of mine but not well marked and seldom used, better to have a guide
    http://www.dirtworld.com/trails/trai...20Bike%20Trail
    Torrence Barrens is 25 min from town...great riding 90% on rock...cool scenery
    http://www.muskokaheritage.org/natur...ncebarrens.asp
    and Bracebridge Resources Management Centre is 10 - 15 min from Buckwallow...nice mix of double track with single track running through mixed forest along side the Muskoka River.
    ...or you could pack up Sunday & stop @ Hardwood Hills on your way south.

Custom User Title
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackCanoeDog
    Porcupine Ridge is not for beginners for sure. But I think it would be pretty hard to get bored with Buckwallow in just one weekend. And there are other trails close by. Hahne Farm starts right there in town... a favourite of mine but not well marked and seldom used, better to have a guide
    http://www.dirtworld.com/trails/trai...20Bike%20Trail
    and Bracebridge Resources Management Centre is 10 - 15 min from Buckwallow...nice mix of double track with single track running through mixed forest along side the Muskoka River.
    ...or you could pack up Sunday & stop @ Hardwood Hills on your way south.

very interesting...

you seem to know the area very well, field a couple question for me? Hahne Farm and Torrence Barrens... are they both not kinda short?

I have been to TB, it has been a while however we circled a small lake and stuff but can't you only squeeze out 10km.. max? pretty fast stuff too being all rock it rolls like pavement and were done before working up a sweat, maybe we missed something? (not to mention we got chewed out by some grey hairs about wrecking some moss )

And I hiked Hahne Farm, thought I ran into a quick end in some subdivision, must have made a wrong turn or maybe it was rerouted.

did BRM years ago too, my memory is bad, but I thought it was all double track, that has probably changed... or we did not find the good stuff

anyway thanks for the tips and info, the area is a blast to ride and explore
    "an inch an hour...two feet per day..."

Jul 2004
    The boys and I will soon be heading to Hardwood Hills for our yearly piss up, er bike ride. Did it last year and had a great time. Camp (RV's) at Heidis about 10 min away. Xbox 360 and helmet cam videos playing on the big screen by the camp fire afterwards whilst kegging it, ah I love camping!

Muskoka
    [QUOTE=Bill Payer]very interesting...

you seem to know the area very well, field a couple question for me? Hahne Farm and Torrence Barrens... are they both not kinda short?

I have been to TB, it has been a while however we circled a small lake and stuff but can't you only squeeze out 10km.. max? pretty fast stuff too being all rock it rolls like pavement and were done before working up a sweat, maybe we missed something? (not to mention we got chewed out by some grey hairs about wrecking some moss )

And I hiked Hahne Farm, thought I ran into a quick end in some subdivision, must have made a wrong turn or maybe it was rerouted.

did BRM years ago too, my memory is bad, but I thought it was all double track, that has probably changed... or we did not find the good stuff

Correct, none of these trails are 'epic' length, maybe 1.5 to 2 hrs if you stop a few minutes here and there to enjoy the surroundings. After a couple of hrs in the saddle on these trails I have had enough. If you have beginners with you they may feel the same.
    BRMA has single track that is very pretty and much of it runs right along the river, you must have misssed it but its all well marked. At The Barrens you probably missed Pine Lake Loop which is a bit more technical. Hahne Farm the good stuff is on the other side of the Hwy - you rode the little bit on the town side. Its 17K in & out from my place in town. Makes a great afternoon of riding with a swim in between. But I think the Deer flies will get you now so best stay out of there. Also some of this trail now crosses private property which has cut its use down considerably. And as I think about it, I prefer to not have a lot of riders in there. Bear scat everywhere!! Tuesday evening I rode up onto a ridge & 30 ft to my side was a full size doe bedded down for the night. She looked at me and decided I was 'cool" so she didn't even get up!
    So if you are looking for lots of K's go elsewhere ;^). Buckwallow 1 day, staying over @ KOA, then hitting Hardwood on the way back is your best bet in this area.

May 2006
    Thanks everyone
    I think it's either between Collingwood or the Buckwallow and Hardwood Hills journey. Never been to either so it should be a good time

Muskoka

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead!

Quote Originally Posted by lingenfelter7
    Thanks everyone
    I think it's either between Collingwood or the Buckwallow and Hardwood Hills journey. Never been to either so it should be a good time
    Just a reminder that Buckwallow will be having Ocup Race Weekend July 8-9. Last year there was about 750 racers + family & support etc so that weekend would not be a good choice.

Looking for Adventure

Good job! Tried Torrence Barrens this past weekend

Quote Originally Posted by BlackCanoeDog
    Tried Torrence Barrens this past weekend (3 day epic weekend) with some friends from Ottawa and Victoria. Very cool place to ride. Very much like the best slickrock style riding that Ontario has to offer. Friend from Victoria was very impressed, as they do not have anything like it in B.C.. True it is short, and it is not a destination place to ride, but if you fit it into your weekend riding calendar of the area, it is definitely worth the stop over.

The key to riding this area is slow and easy in your granny gear, while playing on the many technical rock sections (although it is not that difficult). All the while stopping here and there to enjoy the scenery, and eating a picnic. Great place to finish a weekend of epic riding. 90% smoothed granite rock, with small drops and rock gardens here and there, and some short hill climbs. If you race this stuff you will miss the point.
    SUCCESS - To be able to spend life in your own way

Sep 2006
    I limitless awsome trails your seeking, travel to Haliburton Foerst and rent yourelf a cabin with a group of riders. It is Mountain Bike Meca , just remember to where your night lights if you get lost. CHEERS LOPEZ

Members who have read this thread: 0