wear gas mask in smog condition ???- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2005

New question here. wear gas mask in smog condition ???

I am going to wear air filter mask in order to ride in this smog saturated TO air. Has anyone use gas mask during a ride??

Mar 2004
    I wonder how many more smog alert will we get this year. The heat gave me a headache.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    How many smog alert days have y'all had this year????

I hear its pretty warm out that way...while its cool out here in the coastal mtns.....

mtbr member
    just about every day since the beginning of june has been a smog alert lol..

just go out and ride, its not THATT bad. just rememeber to drink plenty of water, doing strenuous activities like mountain biking, you lose like 2-3 litres of water an HOUR. so drink up

They say I have a problem
    Me thinks you worry too much about the weather man....

First there's too much rain, now too much smog and it's too hot...

Just get out there and ride and get use to the conditions...

Just like Toyota stated, drink lots of water and you'll be fine...

Rich
    "The meek shall inherit the earth"

Hoss Dee-Lux'n It
    Mar 2005
    I can't find any evidence, however a few years back when Smog alerts became big news, one of the news channels sent masks out for testing. Everything from the 100 charol mask @ MEC to the paper hospital masks. Basically for smog they proved to do nothing.

More than a little slow
    Quote Originally Posted by Picard
    I am going to wear air filter mask in order to ride in this smog saturated TO air. Has anyone use gas mask during a ride??
    I've used one of the masks from MEC for commuting. I don't know how effective it is. It sure made breathing a lot harder. At the top of any climb I was really gasping for air, and this is on the road during a relatively easy commute. I haven't used the mask yet this year, I've been trying to really slow down and do easy rides when the air quality gets bad.
    Besides which, having the rear window of the car in front of you jammed full of six year olds laughing at you just doesn't do good things to one's ego, ya know what I mean?

almost there!

just hold your breath...

just kidding.

What I try to do is try not to ride at a hard effort where I would be breathing heavily. Just take it easy while on your bike, I think that is the best way to deal with the polution.

If necessary walk your bike up some hills or spin in a really easy gear.

Custom User Title
    Quote Originally Posted by AJ541
    ...walk your bike up some hills....
    good one!

Quote Originally Posted by rbart4506
    Me thinks you worry too much about the weather man....

First there's too much rain, now too much smog and it's too hot...

Just get out there and ride and get use to the conditions...

Just like Toyota stated, drink lots of water and you'll be fine...

Rich
    I also think that you should consider just buying a stationary bike and ride in your basement. You will stay cool and dry and free of mud that way.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    I am shocked that you guys are so casual about this smog condition. well, I just order a air purifying gas mask from Seton.ca web site. It has a smorgabord of gas mask for every possible situation including doomsday event.

mtbr member
    honestly, youre going to look hilarious biking around with a big ol' gas mask on.

rad to the power of sick
    Man... I think we're making too big a deal about the smog, it could be worse. Say mexico city where being able to open your eyes fully is a novelty.

Also, you haven't seen smog until you see a Los Angeles rush hour. It was a million times worse than here.

Just get out and ride.... when winter *shudder* comes back ,you'll see how much you wish for a 30 degree day.

Also, if your going to ride with a gas mask, make sure you dont get breathing too hard or youll suffocate yourself.
    Some great sets for the trainer:
    https://www.mixcloud.com/djfeelgood/

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Didn't you guys see the CityTV news which a biker wore his gas mask on the street of TO? I want to wear one too. I am not concerned about fashion statement. I am only worry about my health.

Moreover, there is a benefit of wearing a mask: I can be DARTH VADER. I can come up to some little kid and say: I am your father, join the dark side.

Apr 2004
    eh, i really don't think these do that much. i'm commuting about 60km a day and i'm just taking it easy in this warmer weather. are you going to wear that mask all day? to the grocery store? walking down the street? you're still breathing the same polluted air.
    Last edited by 12XU; 06-30-2005 at 07:27 AM.

Custom User Title
    I am only worry about my health.
    I reiterate... please stay inside and take care of yourself. Buy a stationary bike and drink plenty of liquids.

j/k... if you want a mask, buy a mask. then you can move on and enjoy summer.

I already rode that
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Payer
    I reiterate... please stay inside and take care of yourself. Buy a stationary bike and drink plenty of liquids.

j/k... if you want a mask, buy a mask. then you can move on and enjoy summer.
    I think ppl are forgetting too that they should be wearing long sleeves and pants to help better protect themselves from the dangerous uv rays. After all skincancer is no laughing matter!

Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperNewb
    I think ppl are forgetting too that they should be wearing long sleeves and pants to help better protect themselves from the dangerous uv rays. After all skincancer is no laughing matter!
    long sleeves? pfft.

i've personally taken to wearing one of these on all rides. i mean, one can't be too careful.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Wednesday night just before midnight I headed out to Durham Forest for a ride. Much better than riding in the sun these days. I've got asthma & haven't had any breathing problems. Maybe you should venture away from T.O. to do your riding.

Picard, it's a good thing you don't work where I do or you'd be wearing a mask indoors as well.
    2008 Trek Fuel EX 8
    Apsley, Ontario, Canada

mtbr member
    Mar 2005

mtbr member
    Apr 2005

New question here. where to buy that mask??

where can I get the mask shown on that picture shabura??

rad to the power of sick
    I believe that mask is more for dusty riding than smog. Smog particulate are soo small that they'd just slip through the holes. Not much use i'd think.
    Some great sets for the trainer:
    https://www.mixcloud.com/djfeelgood/

mtbr member
    Mar 2005

http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?c...e=Front%20Page

has a cheap carbon filter....

banned
    Mar 2005
    I am shocked that you guys are so casual about this smog condition. well, I just order a air purifying gas mask from Seton.ca web site. It has a smorgabord of gas mask for every possible situation including doomsday event.
    seton is one of my clients...good company with good stuff...one question re these filters after my experience with gas mask in the army; do they have something to keep the taste of rubber or plastic from being too vile, and how do they recommend that you keep them sterile? My experience is that after using them a few times, the bacteria you exhale tends to grow in the moist, warm filter area, and you breathe them back in...may not be the same bugs that came from you as well

(Ok, that was 2 questions, but let us know what they recommend)

sock puppet

he looks hilarious

Quote Originally Posted by toyota kawasaki
    honestly, youre going to look hilarious biking around with a big ol' gas mask on.
    even withouth the gas mask...

Drinkin' the 29er KoolAid
    MEC sells some masks:

http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_l...=1126063337323

One of my friends wears one when riding the paved trails and he says it helps in smoggy conditions. The only thing is you will find initally that's its a bit harder to breath with the mask on but with time you don't notice it and then when you ride without it you feel like you're turbocharged!

Karl

May 2005
    I don't wear a smog mask. I tried one when I was a bike messenger but they're hard to breathe through. Also they leave a film aroung your mouth that reminds me of smegma. Also I don't wear one when i walk or sit and read yet i breathe the same air.

suck it trebeK
    I think it's best just not to do really hard rides on smog days, and stay away from main traffic areas if possible. You can't eliminate it, but you can reduce how much you absorb. Heavy breathing and oxygen transfer increases absorption of smog in the lungs. Save the hard training for clearer days!

I can't imagine trying to breath and ride a bicycle in Hong Kong or Beijing...